Matchday: Rooney starts for Manchester United

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney, who was set to miss at least two weeks with an ankle injury, is in the starting lineup for today's Champions League match against Bayern Munich at Old Trafford. Man U won lost the first leg, 2-1, on the road. Could you imagine the outcry if Rooney's aggravates the injury? That said, he'll probably be just fine and score twice. Enjoy.

Kickoff: 2:45 p.m. ET.
TV: Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Sports Espanol.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 7, 2010; 2:30 PM ET
Categories:  England , Euro Champions League  | Tags: Alex Ferguson, FC Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Old Trafford, Wayne Rooney
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Luciano Emilio's future in MLS
Next: Euro results, DCU injury, Dempsey out

Comments

Um, Bayern won the first leg 2-1, not Man U

Posted by: timad26 | April 7, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

ManU won in Munich?

Posted by: tab5g1 | April 7, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I honestly don't know how to feel about Rooney playing. Was he really injured or is Sir Alex really starting him not caring about his injury? Forget that he plays for England, Sir Alex could care less about that, but if he does aggravate his injury today than Man. United will have a tough time getting to the top of the league.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 7, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

GOAL!!

Gibson, a bit early for me though.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 7, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

And Rooney sets up the first, apparently. I don't like Man United and I certainly want the US to have every advantage in June... but I'd hate to see him aggravate his injury.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 7, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how I feel about Rooney starting, either. I didn't start him in Argy Bargy, and don't have the time (or the desire or the fantasy league brain) to check whether I want him to score from the bench (for me) or if it benefits me to have others near me in the table who did start him not get the points.

Posted by: sec133row5 | April 7, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

it's 2-0 now...

Posted by: StewartDC8 | April 7, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

So if you're Fergie, up 2-nil (one on agg.) you...

Leave Rooney in to finish off the job?

See if he can make it 3-nil before replacing him at HT?

Put Giggs in now and not risk it?

Posted by: Kev29 | April 7, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I guess dropping Rooney for Berbatov isn't going to work.

Posted by: Reignking | April 7, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

This just pisses me off if he scores and I miss the fantasy points. Dude had been my captain for the last few match days. Not complaining about Messi's performance yesterday, but I have Rooney sitting on my bench right now...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Take Rooney out after 60mins. if this result continues.

Posted by: visionof75 | April 7, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

ManU makes me sick...

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 7, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

you mighta spoke too soon Reignking. He's coming out any minute now.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Obviously Fergouson stated Rooney to screw with all the internet fantasy leagues. Or maybe, as a Scotsman, he wants to screw with England's WC chances.

Put in Macheda and let him score another handball goal.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 7, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Can DC United hire Man United's trainer?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 7, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

3-nil, Rooney must be taking a seat for the second half.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 7, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Can DC United hire Man United's trainer?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 7, 2010 3:27 PM

The player definitely has a big part in this too. Rooney's a tough, ugly bast*rd.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 7, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

General statement without backing: players in Europe are simply much more fit than your average MLS player. They are geared for playing almost 10 month seasons with multiple other competitions. Until we have players who play year-round how can we expect the same level of fitness?

Posted by: inzzo79 | April 7, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

It's 3-1 and no ManU subs.

Posted by: Reignking | April 7, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

This thread disappoints me because I saw a headline earlier today on the internet - something on the lines of "Rooney in Shock Rapid Return".

Does this mean I was wrong to expect him to start for Colorado after the World Cup?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 7, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Rooney would have made a ridiculous scrum-half or full-back, but he wouldn't make in a career in rugby what he makes a year now.

Posted by: alecw81 | April 7, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

ManU down to 10 men.

Posted by: Reignking | April 7, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

after the initial onslaught, Butt has played pretty well. looks like he's put on weight though. sure wish it was raining so I wouldn't feel guilty watching tv on a day like this.

Posted by: troy6 | April 7, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh this match sounds like a dandy. 4-4 with Bayern up on away goals!

Posted by: Kev29 | April 7, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

OMFG!!!!!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 7, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

YES! Robben!

Posted by: Reignking | April 7, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

for those not watching, go to a highlights site as soon as you can. that was a phenomenal goal.

Posted by: troy6 | April 7, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

uefa.com's pic of the volley says a lot about it, too.

Posted by: Reignking | April 7, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Man U got too high on themselves. They aren't that good.

Posted by: GeneWells | April 7, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Auf Wiedersehen, baby...

Slightly overated EPL and they're limey pale front running fans(here and abroad) can step off.

Posted by: boricuabopper | April 7, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Knocked off because Rafael was to hot headed to keep his composure.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 7, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Not the one to root for FC Bayern, but good for us Germans...!

Posted by: rademaar | April 7, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Love seeing the EPL out, and Lyon finally breaking through...

Posted by: Reignking | April 7, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm still with Bavaria!

And Platini must be pleased - no English teams in the Final Four of the Champions League.

At this point, Fox is pulling for a Bayern vs Barcelona matchup - the winner gets the European Cup - and the signature of Frank Ribery on a contract!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 7, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Ribery with Barca... no need to even have the tournament if that's the case. Game over.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 7, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Big scores for the top 2 teams in Argy Bargy.

Posted by: Reignking | April 7, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

"Looks like Man U got too high on themselves. They aren't that good."

Seriously? If you would have told me in July 2009 that Man Utd would be in the quarter finals of the CL, in the EPL title race for the 4th consecutive year, have the Carling Cup in the case, and Rooney would have 30+ goals I would have said pass me the dub! They are that good. A young player makes a mistake that changes the game plus Rooney should have been subbed at the half for a player who can put major pressure on the full backs. His lack of effort in the starting minutes of the 2nd half cost Utd the match. Bayern took control of midfield and started dominating possession. It wasn't until late that Utd had more chances even with 10 men because Bayern was pushing so high. Nani was unlucky to not get the 3rd goal. That would have been the sinker, for Bayern. Oh, well, first time in how many years there will be no English side in the CL semis. Barca will beat Inter and play Bayern off the pitch.

Posted by: peridigm | April 7, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I was gonna say... Hey Gene can you back up that whole "they aren't that good" thing with some effing facts? Sheesh!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 8, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse