Matchnight - United vs. FC Dallas

Greetings from Estadio RFK, as Señor Goff would say. It's chilly and windy - not the "perfect" soccer weather considering the date - but not too shabby either.

Across the city there's another game going on, though I don't know if it holds any major implications compared to this monumental U.S. Open Cup preliminary match-up with FC Dallas.

In all seriousness, it will be interesting to see what kind of lineup Coach Curt Onalfo brings tonight in a game that on one hand provides the perfect opportunity to give some talented young players some more seasoning (see: Hamid, Bill) but might also be needed to boost the confidence of some veterans (see: Perkins, Troy).

Other things worth watching...

The attendance tonight in a midweek preliminary cup game. I expect the regular faithful to be here, but perhaps not much more. As Goff pointed out the bigger test will come in upcoming midweek league games.

Also, will Clyde Simms return from injury tonight, or will United be more cautious and hold him out until the weekend?

It's been a busy day so far for D.C. United, which earlier today announced not just a friendly with Glasgow Rangers but also announced the signing of 2007 MLS MVP Luciano Emilio to a short-term contract. He'll be in attendance tonight watching. Perhaps his presence alone will bring the goals that have lacked early in the season thus far.

I'll get the lineup to you once I have it, hopefully about an hour or so before game time.

DCU Starting Lineup (4-5-1): Perkins; Wallace, Talley, McTavish, Graye; Castillo, Morsink, Barklage, Najar (ACM), Khumalo; Cristman.
Subs: Hamid, Rice, Adams, Simms, Shipalane, Quaranta, Moreno

Should D.C. United win, they would host Real Salt Lake in a second round play-in game on May 19.

FC Dallas at D.C. United
U.S. Open Cup preliminary match
Where: RFK Stadium
When: 7:30 PM
TV: Streamed live at dcunited.com, www.fcdallas.com/matchday/live

By Paul Tenorio  |  April 28, 2010; 6:15 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , U.S. Open Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eddie Johnson's goals, Freddy Adu's assist
Next: Early Thursday kickaround

Comments

I don't think anyone has mentioned this all day -- I had totally forgotten about it.

Posted by: Reignking | April 28, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully DC gets a positive result. I wish I could watch but I gotta work out and get to class.

I said yesterday that Barca were diving babies. Thanks to Sergio Busquets I was proved correct! Yes, I know Lucio dove too but Busquets was so sad.

DadRyan.... do you work? haha. I think you play xbox and watch more soccer than me.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 28, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Reignking I was thinking the exact same thing..I kept trying to figure out if there was a game tonight and if my season tics covered it. Like this event is invisible.

Posted by: DCB23 | April 28, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

In case you all couldn't remember

Name: Luciano Emilio
Position: Forward
Height: 5-11
Weight: 175
Jersey: 11
Date of Birth: December 12, 1978
Age: 31
Place of Birth: Jales, Brazil
Citizenship: Brazil
Last Club: Rio Branco de Americana (Brazil)
Roster status: International
Acquired: Re-signed on April 28, 2010
Speed: 10.69 second 40 yard dash

Posted by: SexyOffender | April 28, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I would have liked to see Hamid in there, but I understand getting Perkins some of his confidence back. Happy to see Boyzzzz in there as well. And I also hope that Emilio pulls a Gomez and shows up on the drum!!

Posted by: nairbsod | April 28, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

worst video feed ever... this is a joke. nice goal Cristman!
Vamos!
Dude Grubbs, you should know by now that I have a secret income producer that I dabble with in my free time. Don't have a whole hell of a lot of that thought being a stay at home dad with a wife that brings in the bacon...
Why do you think I was so pissed about the CL getting bumped to the pay cable I can't afford?
This summer when you're back in town you should come over and play FIFA though for sure....

Posted by: DadRyan | April 28, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

At the Caps game, can I get a score update?

Posted by: GMUMiked | April 28, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan definitely. I'll have to ask my girlfriend if that's okay though. I keep telling my girlfriend I am okay with her making the money. I think she expect my whole I wanna be a professor thing to pan out though.... oh well. Alrite, DC is looking alrite but I gotta get to class. Its 60 here today, tomorrow it is supposed to snow.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 28, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

1-0 United

Posted by: SexyOffender | April 28, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

25th minute 1-0 DCU

Scored in the 4th minute: Cristman chipped the keeper

Posted by: emanon13 | April 28, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Graye actually looks pretty good from I can see from the gameboy-like graphics this feed has

Posted by: SexyOffender | April 28, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

The feed looks like a nintendo video game, in slow, lego motion.

Posted by: redskinsux | April 28, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

2-0 Castillo scores on a free kick

Posted by: emanon13 | April 28, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I've taken to listening to the audio on the DCU game since the video is so bad, and watching the caps game on mute.

Posted by: nairbsod | April 28, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

ok. scratch that. I've just given up on the DCU feed and will dedicate the rest of the evening to the Caps. Hope they get the win.

Posted by: nairbsod | April 28, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

3-0! Some choppy player puts the cross in...

Posted by: Reignking | April 28, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

And then Najar almost gets his 2nd in 1 minute...

Posted by: Reignking | April 28, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

And now Dallas scores to make it 3-1...rapid game...

Posted by: Reignking | April 28, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

And now Simms coming in. Great to see him get some playing time, but maybe he should rest, up two goals.

Posted by: Reignking | April 28, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

and Dallas with a PK, 3-2

Posted by: emanon13 | April 28, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

PK Dallas...now a one goal lead.

Posted by: Reignking | April 28, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Goal Cristman!

Posted by: Reignking | April 28, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

6 goals in 15 minutes.

Posted by: Reignking | April 28, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

The verizon center crowd would probably take a few of these goals

Posted by: emanon13 | April 28, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I mean 4...Q in.

Posted by: Reignking | April 28, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Talley is captain tonight? Really?

Huh?

Shake it off... a win's a win.

Vamos!

Posted by: wichne | April 28, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

wewinthrophies

Posted by: Reignking | April 28, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Hire Curt Onalfo!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 28, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Why did United pick up Emilio when they could have had Ovechkin???

EPIC fail!
Absolutely epic!

I LOVE IT!

Posted by: TheOtherRK | April 28, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Najar had a great game but he looked a little tired in the end. It will be interesting to see the lineup for Saturday but all in all I thought the attack looked decent tonight together.

Posted by: swampdogoh | April 28, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Kasper's true integrity comes through with his many no-uncertain-terms statements that DCU was not interested in Luci. He's one of the biggest liars in all of sports.

Posted by: lgm6986 | April 28, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Why pile on the Caps here? I don't follow them, but why gloat if they lose? Does that help United somehow?

I will not send to know for whom that bell tolls, personally.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | April 28, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

@ lgm - On the other hand Kasper may have talked Luci's price down by $50,000 or $100,000, who knows.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | April 28, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Pachuca!

Posted by: BooThisMan | April 28, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

From an eyeball witness: nice games from Graye and Najar.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 28, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

I love DCU and I am a season ticket holder. Having said that, for every DCU fan out there that smiles or gets glee out of the pain the other teams and their fans in town suffer I don't love you or even remotely like you. In fact, you can kiss my a$$. :) Vamos United!

Posted by: croftonpost | April 28, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

From another eyeball? witness: Nice game from Najar. As I said a few weeks ago, Najar's move to the starting lineup was a good thing. In the reserve match against Real Maryland, Najar was the best player in a DCU kit. As tonight's starting lineup was pretty much a reserve side, Najar was still the best. He really didn't put a foot wrong until a giveaway in the 84th minute.

Cristman was also very effective -- even when he wasn't scoring goals. Pick any 20 minute spell and he did far more in the than we've seen from Allsopp so far. On defense, the stalwart was McTavish, who played one of his best matches in a DCU kit.

Up-and-down matches: Perkins made some nice saves, though I thought he unnecessarily let a ball bounce in the box in the second half and he looked to be ball-watching when Shea hit the crossbar. Mostly up for Perkins, as he looked more comfortable later in the game.

Graye -- as in exhibitions, shows real talent coming forward. However, Shea really lit him up in the first half. After the third time that Shea beat him and nearly produced a goal -- because Graye was trying to cheat forward and allowing Shea to get behind him -- the rest of the defense really let Graye know about it. From that point on, he was pretty solid. One other thing he needs to work on is to stop with the casual touches. Time after time, his passes left teammates in precarious situations, or the passes didn't even get there, because Graye was not hitting them with conviction. Graye is a work in progress, but I feel he has the right tools.

Not sure I can say the same about Wallace. He was great on a couple of forays deep into the Dallas zone, but he was absolutely at fault on both Dallas goals. He just doesn't look like he belongs on defense. Maybe it'll get better.

Lastly, if you're reading this, Tino -- Shoot!!! Forget the cross which you're going to overhit every time. Just shoot.

Hey, DCU won....

Posted by: fischy | April 28, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

BTW -- I want to correct the lineup above. Najar played up top (not Kumalo, who played on the wing), with Cristman. He looked pretty comfortable in the position he's used to playing for the Academy teams. If the team could find someone else to pair with Simms in the middle, I'd like to see what Najar could do as a forward. I guess with the return of Luci, though, we'll see Najar move back to CAM.

Posted by: fischy | April 28, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

For those attacking Kasper's integrity -- Get a clue. With Pontius and Allsopp down, the team desperately needed a striker. The irony is that Le Toux went down yesterday. Philly might have been willing to up their offer. Or, perhaps Nowak called Kasper's bluff today. If nothing else, this keeps Luci away from two of the clubs we need to pass to get back in playoff contention. Hopefully, the money is reasonable and DCU still has gobs of cap room -- enough for two half-season DP-types.

Posted by: fischy | April 28, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Why people on the caps? Because I don't like them, that's why. Go Flyers.

Posted by: Reignking | April 28, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Reignking,

Then go to a Philly blog if you want to talk about the Flyers or trash the Caps. Vamos United! and Rock the Red!

Posted by: croftonpost | April 28, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Los Tuzos!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 28, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

So Wicks had a drug problem too?

Posted by: Reignking | April 28, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

hey now crofton,.. Don't get too butt hurt on this blog about the Caps. DC United may not even be around next time the Caps get their shot. Like Barcelona, if you don't want to run out of time fulfilling destiny, get on with scoring some freaking goals. You can't win games without doing it. I promise.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 28, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

So Wicks had a drug problem too?

Posted by: Reignking | April 28, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

================================

The good news just keeps coming this year.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 28, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

FYI - Onalfo was ejected in the first half on a play in front of the DCU bench. He didn't like the call against Talley and exploded at the AR.

Najar - Man of the Match
Cristman - Close second
Graye - Looked solid once he settled down (about 15 minutes in)
Talley - Solid game at center back. He could be a very valuable asset this year.
Perkins - Needs to get his head back in DC. I think he left it in Norway.
Castillo - Another strong outting. Now he just needs to be 90 minutes fit.

Overall, this very young team showed an amazing amount of hustle and desire, something that has been missing the past couple of games. Lets hope this carries over to the weekend when our 'regulars' are back.

Posted by: SoccerVA | April 28, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Dad,

The Caps just outplayed by the Habs. I can hang and choke on that. However, when I come over to another DC blog and I see DC fans gloating about the pain their fellow DC fans are suffering well......that just crosses a line you don't cross. No apologies from me for I meant what I said. I am a DC fan at heart and I will stick up for my fellow DC brothers.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 28, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Dad,

The Caps just got outplayed by the Habs. I can hang and choke on that. However, when I come over to another DC blog and I see DC fans gloating about the pain their fellow DC fans are suffering well......that just crosses a line you don't cross. No apologies from me for I meant what I said. I am a DC fan at heart and I will stick up for my fellow DC brothers.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 28, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

@RK -- Thanks for the link to the piece on Wicks. I hope he catches on with Real. Wicks has a lot of natural ability. I imagine his outbursts on the field had something to do with his off-field problems. It would make sense of things didn't seem to make sense. With expansion next year, I hope he gets another shot in MLS -- maybe with his old club in Portland -- or, even here backing up Perkins.

I think Hamid has a way to go to be ready for this level. I'd guess he won't play this year so long as Perkins is healthy, unless United gets into the Open Cup and plays some lower-division teams. He might get his feet wet in that kind of match. If he struggles, it would be nice to know that Wicks is getting in games and is nearby.

Posted by: fischy | April 28, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd also like to correct the lineup above.

Wallace and Khumalo did not play. Not soccer, anyway.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 28, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Brek Shea = My Little Pony

He was excellent, but a good nickname is forever...

Posted by: JkR- | April 28, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

MLS' substance abuse policy is a bit mystifying. If the article is to be believed, MLS was trying to reach out to him all year long, but he was left to start for DC. Also seems Shalrie Joseph has run afoul of league policy a few times...now winding up in rehab himself.

Posted by: fischy | April 28, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Much better game. We needed this good win.

Side note.

I ran into Jeff Agoos in the stands he waived and headed to section 304 or 305 and sat by himself. Odd! Does he still work for new york?

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | April 28, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Agoos could have been scouting DCU in advance of this weekend's match (if he is still employed by NY)

Posted by: emanon13 | April 28, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Yeah thats the first thing that pop into my head!

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | April 28, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

The old CBA
discusses the drug testing policy (pg 30) and refers to exhibit 5: Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program and Policy (pg 65)

But, page 65 is blank

unrelated, but Exhibit 4 could be interesting to some people. It's the (old) list of approved hotels. Teams had to stay at them or a comparable hotel when traveling

Posted by: emanon13 | April 28, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Josh Wicks was in the crowd at RFK tonight.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 28, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

So Wicks had a drug problem too?
Posted by: Reignking | April 28, 2010 10:53

Why does this not surprise me? His on field behavior was pretty erratic.

Posted by: delantero | April 28, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad we got to see Perkins Troy instead of troy Perkins..

Posted by: TheJim1 | April 29, 2010 2:16 AM | Report abuse

Why is it that Toronto gave us a very good feed from Charleston, SC and DCU can't give us a good feed from RFK?
Also, did anybody else notice that our offensive effort totally stopped when Jaime and Santino came in? Just sayin"!!

Posted by: patrick18 | April 29, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

He's the Director of Scouting for RBNY, but my understanding is that his role is to scout for players, not to assess other teams. What this really seems to involve is that the club sends him overseas to get him as far away from the players as possible.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | April 29, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

The Capitals achieved this year what they set out to achieve as an organization, and that is to dominate the regular season. If they went deep into the playoffs, or even won the Stanley Cup, that would have been a bonus. But the Caps and most of their fans are happy with the "Presidents Trophy". OK, fine, whatever.

*If* the goal next time is to win what all the *other* NHL teams want to win; namely, the Stanley Cup, the Caps are going to have to make some changes both to their personnel and their approach. Specifically I wonder about Alex "invisible in the Playoffs" Semin and Mike "Dumb Penalty" Green.

Approach-wise, and I know hindsight is 20-20, its clear now the Caps peaked too early. Once the Caps clinched their conference, they struggled to play well the rest of the way. Their struggle to find their form continued right into the playoffs, and so here they are, once again one-and-done.

I don't know how to prevent a team from peaking too early, you want to win games. But maybe its at least in part a matter of managing minutes. Don't let your big guys double and triple-shift just to beat the Carolina Hurricanes or Atlanta Thrashers for the umpteenth time at gfame #55 in the season.

But then again, I wonder if the Caps FO even cares. By winning in the regular season, they get great TV ratings and they sell out all the games. maybe they will continue to be happy with that.

Posted by: Ron16 | April 29, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse