Matchnight: United-Revolution

Greetings from RFK Stadium and the 15th home opener for D.C. United. It's a delicious spring afternoon/evening in the nation's capital with a crowd of 15,000 to 20,000 expected at our soulful home along the banks of the mighty Anacostia.

Some things to know:

From the upper levels, some unsightly football yard marks -- left over from the college bowl game in December -- are visible. (At least we will be able to accurately judge the distance of shots directed at the south goal.) The surface itself seems okay, except for the swatch along the bench sideline, where ugly patches mar the scene. Stadium officials said a few weeks ago that marks would be visible for at least one match.

Entry into Lot 8 from the freeway on the freshly paved access road is smooth until you reach the lot itself. Much of the parking area is in disrepair after the winter storms and has been fenced off, limiting the number of spaces and the maneuverability.

I'm getting word from outside sources that Manchester United is almost definitely going to be the MLS All-Star Game opponent in Houston, but no official confirmation. The league reiterated today that it is "working on securing a world-class opponent but we do not have a signed agreement at this time."

I will have United's lineup and reserves about an hour before kickoff. I suspect that Brandon Barklage will start on the right flank in place of Andy Najar.

DCU: Perkins; Talley, Pena, Jakovic, Wallace; Barklage, Morsink, Quaranta, Castillo; Moreno, Pontius; Subs: Quinn, McTavish, James, Najar, Khumalo, Cristman, Allsopp.

If you are watching online, through Direct Kick or inside the stadium, your pregame, in-game and postgame comments are encouraged.

By Steve Goff  |  April 3, 2010; 5:10 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday kickaround
Next: United rewind

Comments

Vamos United! Hoping this bar I've found in Raleigh isn't pulling my leg, and will have the game up. I promise to drink lots of beer, and represent in a respectable manner. The whole family is wearing jerseys to the bar....

Hope everyone has a great time tonight!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 3, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Unless you run into a Sounders fan, of course.

Posted by: Reignking | April 3, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

let najar start!!!!!

Posted by: godpere | April 3, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

While there are a lot of positions worthy of scrutiny, I am particularly curious to see whether the offensive subs can achieve anything on the pitch. Najar shouldn't be judged too harshly, but Khumalo, Allsop, and Cristman have to contribute this season.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 3, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I believe that Najar was up against Ryan Smtih former Crystal Place player in his first professional match. So I don't think it was a fair assessment of his talent to judge his performance against the Wizards. The only totally upsetting thing to me is Talley starting. He is a hack and very slow. Can Adams play right back? I can't wait until Namoff is health.

Posted by: no_recess | April 3, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from the Freedom game. It was a lovely afternoon at the 'Plex. I'll have a write-up at Potomac Soccer Wire later.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 3, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping Morsink can actually do something, anything productive tonight. Past Simms, our central midfield situation looks bleak. Were Szetela and N'Galula really that expendable??

Posted by: DonDraper | April 3, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

And when an injured player is the exception to the bleakness, that's pretty bleak.

Posted by: benonthehill | April 3, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

If anyone is watching online, can you please comment on quality of stream?

Posted by: sofiaboy | April 3, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I understand that Talley and Morsink may be necesary evils, but I really wanted to see Najar get the start again.

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | April 3, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

No feed from atdhe yet...

Posted by: j01usna | April 3, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, football lines. Cna't they fix that?

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | April 3, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Very poor and choppy, but it's a stream

Posted by: Josh86 | April 3, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

still no feed from @tdhe. Anyone got a secondary score.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 3, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm working from Atlanta, watching the NE feed. Never thought I would miss Dave Johnson.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | April 3, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Rand-al-thor.

Just keep refreshing the DCU twitter page for the best, most often ones.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 3, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

"Can't make it to RFK tonight (Family Movie Night), but I'll be following the match via this here blog. Thanks in advance for the updates, Insider colleagues!"

10 mins: DCU have had the better of the play, but no real chances. Castillo is a good player, but not a game changer.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | April 3, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

DC has had by far the better possession. NE is a poor team.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | April 3, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

thanks josh

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 3, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

A new stream just popped up:

Much more consistent than the other.

Posted by: figgy_va | April 3, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Preston Burpo with a hockey style kick save on a DC free kick. Who took that? Should have been a goal.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | April 3, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Uh, my direct kick freebie still running or . . . ?

GAME ON!

Tino with a well driven free kick from 25, Burpo with an even better kick save. DC already with more chances than last week in the 15th

Posted by: delantero | April 3, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Surely this is three points for United. New England are a shower.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | April 3, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap.

The game is being shown live in Singapore with local commentary!

My favorite so far: "As you can see from the lines on the field this is also the home of the DC Redskins of American football"

Moreno looks and plays like he is 20 again.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 3, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Castillo's got some wheels to go with those flashy yellow boots . . . and Moreno looking spry early on.

Posted by: delantero | April 3, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

NE can't defend, can't hold the ball, can't counterattack. I'm sure I'll be proved wrong, but they look on track for last place.

DC fans doing the lame "wings of a sparrow" song. Really? It's 2010.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | April 3, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

@Southeasterner: Moreno is the best player on the field. Looks great.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | April 3, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Jay Heaps needs practice. Lots

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 3, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Moreno is being doubled up on every time...we should have someone open up there.

BB and SE are going to end up being joint man of the match, both groups can be clearly heard and seen on TV.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 3, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

NE broadcast guys giving the Goffer some love

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 3, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Why isn't this match on local CSN in DC?

Posted by: tundey | April 3, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Big fan of Perkins wearing red ... a la Black-and-RED

Posted by: inzzo79 | April 3, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Can we finish? Pretty good half.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 3, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Big fan of Perkins wearing red ... a la Black-and-RED Posted by: inzzo79 | April 3, 2010 8:10 PM

It's better than the all green leprechaun thing last week. Black shorts, Troy, black shorts.

Posted by: delantero | April 3, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

The whistle blows on the worst first half of the season to this point. Really poor stuff.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | April 3, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Not a big fan of Castillo.

It seems like we may have the skill level but these guys aren't playing as a team and you can tell by some of these passes and positioning most of them haven't been playing together for long.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 3, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Nice lipstick red jersey on our boy Troy, but I can't make out the shade on my monitor..."Roman Flame"? "Crimson Rendevous"? I can't decide.

Posted by: DaninFL | April 3, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

100 times better than last week. Our defense is the reason. It's given our attack some time to get their feet wet.

The problem I see is we seemed to be rotating a 4-5-1 between Jaime and Pontius as the "one", then when we looked more like a true 4-4-2, we either had disjointed play, overestimating players' speed or holding the ball too long.

Barklage sends in a wicked cross! I like it.

Posted by: delantero | April 3, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Mastodon . . why are you fishing? 4-0 last week was clearly worse than this. You been overdoing the energy drink?

Posted by: delantero | April 3, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who is thinking about ordering Verizon Fios Don't do it! There customer service is poor and there technical support is incompetent. I called last week to order direct kick and I still do not have the channel. I even called this morning to double check and they said that I had subscribed. As of 8:32 PM today no Direct Kick. I have spent the last hour on the phone. Verizon is pathetic!!!

Posted by: stephen_james2 | April 3, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Haha, the feed I'm watching just had a massive typo in the score graphic. DC United 0-0 Revotution.
I'm easily amused.

Posted by: catymac | April 3, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

That feed is better than the other Justin.tv one.

Posted by: strago | April 3, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

This team really doesn't look that bad. Beautiful cross from Talley.

They just need to slow it down and find their game. This is a team thats going to get better with every game.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 3, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I've been a DC fan since 1996.... however, I understand why Peter Vermes let Onalfo go from KC.... Onalfo doesn't bring anything to DC....I think that DC could play the way they are right now - average at best! - without any coach on the bench! please, get a real coach or save the money and let the team play on their own

Posted by: temuco | April 3, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

This is going to be a long season...ugh.
Very boring soccer.

Posted by: JPO2200 | April 3, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Has there been a sub...Dube is crushing our Defense. Talley also blows!

Posted by: stephen_james2 | April 3, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

The English language feed at justintv is poor, but free. I might have to go to majorleaguesoccersoccer.com and pay for future games, if I can remember my personal identification number number.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 3, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

What's wrong with our defense? its 0-0 and NE has barely had a shot on goal.

I'm wondering what's going on up front.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 3, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

SE this is what I expected...a stout defense with no midfield and creativity. Last week was an aberration in that regard. I think we will struggle heavily to score goals this year.

Posted by: strago | April 3, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

yawn. this is painfully boring.

Posted by: birdynumnum | April 3, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Good chance there...

Posted by: Reignking | April 3, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I guess there was a goal -- I couldn't tell b/c of the feed. Slow reaction by the defense...but that was a deflection.

Posted by: Reignking | April 3, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Well, it's going to be a long season. We played better than last week, but this is going to be a LONG season.

Posted by: strago | April 3, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh jesus. Mansally hits a 2nd. Fantastic goal this one.

Posted by: Reignking | April 3, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I take that back

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 3, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

There's a DCU defender who needs to find his jock after being faked out by that one.

Posted by: Reignking | April 3, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Is it OK to start panicking yet?

I take back my comments about a stout defense. That was poor defending on the 2nd goal.

Posted by: strago | April 3, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Free Waiver United SUCKS!!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | April 3, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Anyone want to buy my MLS MatchDay login ID? I can't watch a full season of this team. Abysmal.

Posted by: freeholdsouth | April 3, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

it is looking like the drubbing by KC was no fluke... this is not the REVS playing well, but DC really is a below average MLS team. seems like teams are going to look forward playing DC... the 2010 version of last years bulls :-(

Posted by: temuco | April 3, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

LOL Kosh, you like that or Retread United better?

Morsink, James, Talley, Cristman.

Posted by: strago | April 3, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Get used to it faithful, this is what a 3-point ATM looks like. Welcome to the whippin'-boys of the league - Free Waiver United.

Posted by: Kosh2 | April 3, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Has Mansally hit his hat-trick yet?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 3, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Well, last week I said we were the worst team in the league. I forgot about the Union when I posted that but from the evidence tonight we will be the second worst team in the league. Heck, we might lose next week. We have zero offense and everyone just kills us on the counter.

Good crowd tonight. To bad we couldn't put up a better performance. DP's anyone?

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 3, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

What are we doing on the attack?

Its not strong NE defense its awful DC positioning, passing and shooting.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 3, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

what a shame that this organization takes for granted the best fans in the league. they will be lucky to have 5,000 fans in the seats by mid-season.

Posted by: birdynumnum | April 3, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey! DC ALMOST scored!

Posted by: JPO2200 | April 3, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

What are DP's going to do for us? We are inherently bad. Our talent level is the worst I have ever seen for a DC team.

Posted by: strago | April 3, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow this sucks. How can DC concede 2 goals to a NE team missing their top players? Gonna be a really really long season.

Posted by: tundey | April 3, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

DC were a shower. Really poor team.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | April 3, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

F this team and double F that performance!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | April 3, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I am going to put the blame of this loss on the pre-game concert by Wale. It is very obvious to all who watched the game that DC was lethargic, most likely due to using all of their energy listening to Wale perform. It wasn't the coach, it wasn't the players, it was the concert. No more pre-game concerts!

Posted by: JPO2200 | April 3, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

At least you'll beat Philadelphia.

Right?

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | April 3, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

when you lose to the revs (average team in this league) at home it is making Peter Vermes a genius. Onalfo may be a good assistant, but in no way is he a head coach... no way! DC is predictable, don't defend well as a team, many players are out of position when defending and to tell you the truth, they look like a college team playing an MLS schedule... not going to be pretty.

Posted by: temuco | April 3, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: birdynumnum | April 3, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

The stadium sucks (football lines, really?)

The team looks awful

The only good thing going for the team is the fans but how long will they keep coming to watch this team? Our best player is Moreno, who probably only has one or two season left?

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 3, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

concer was not to blame for the loss.... simply put DC is a bad team

Posted by: temuco | April 3, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm very glad that I didn't attend the game. Until this org gets things together, I'm not sure I want to give them any more of my hard earned dollars.

Posted by: nairbsod | April 3, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

well, it has been two years since we made the playoffs.... make it three now.

Posted by: temuco | April 3, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

wow, i had tickets to the game and ended up not being able to go. I was bummed out about it but now I am really glad I did not go. I am also pretty pissed I got season tickets again this year. what a joke. I did not think we could be worse than last season but i guess I was wrong. Fire Payne, Fire Onalfo!!!

Posted by: jjfooty | April 3, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey, the management does care about the fans! They got Wale to perform at a pre-game concert! That right there should show you all their dedication to the fans and the team.

I can barely type that without laughing!

Posted by: JPO2200 | April 3, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

I am not sold on Onalfo, but let's be honest SAF couldn't use what we call a starting lineup. This team SUCKS. We are average at best and that's when we will be lucky this year. I lay this incarnation squarely at the FO's feet.

The league is getting better and passing us by while our FO dances around naked, Vaseline-based and wearing cowboy-boots still patting themselves on the back for the mighty United teams of yore. Other teams are doing what it takes to match the growth and elevation of the league and we are being left behind. This team is not going to win jack and I hope the FO comes to recognize this hard fact soon because the faithful will only tolerate this kind of lackluster, lazy and aimless excuse for play for so long.

Posted by: Kosh2 | April 3, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

But we win trophies!!! ;-) The laughingstock of the league!

Posted by: nairbsod | April 3, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Remember back in 2009 when we tied all those games?

Ah the good old days . . .

Posted by: benonthehill | April 3, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

This team may not win 5 games all year. Free waiver
United is a dead man walking.

Posted by: dcarmy | April 3, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Was Onalfo really that good at KC to warrant being snapped up so quick by DC? Or was he just the last man standing after that college coach rebuffed us?

Can't wait for NFL to start. At least that's on glorious HD. If your team's gonna suck, might as well suck on HD.

Posted by: tundey | April 3, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Other than the 2 goals by the Revs, this was a frightfully bad and boring soccer game by both teams.

DC United has NO offense. Zero. None. Completely and totally inept in their attcking half. Nowehere near enough movement on or off the ball. I lost count of the sequences where one stationary midfielder would pass to another stationary midfielder who would pass to another, who would then backpass or lose the ball because he was, well, stationary.

Quaranta stinks. Cut him. I'm tired of him taking up a perfectly good DCU jersey. Pontius is AJ Wood lite. BoyZZ, useless. Castillo can hold the ball and made some nice touches, but his postioning was off. He was no threat to the goal at all. Najar shows some promise, but he is raw. Barklage ran around a lot but did nothing.

DC United is just a bad soccer team and will be until we get a major infusion of talent.

Don't hold your breath for that though, since Chang the supposedly great owner apparenly is going to trot cheap stiffs out there until he gets a stadium.

Posted by: Ron16 | April 3, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Onalfo may be a technical coach and now the game.... but he sure cannot put a team together... that not only takes knowing the game, but knowing how to build a team, which few coaches do well... can we bring ARENA back??!?!?! does he want to leave LA for DC.... anyone have his phone # :-)

Posted by: temuco | April 3, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

So, how'd we do?!!!!!!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 3, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

For those trying to blame Onalfo for this - yes he's no MLS great coach, not in the least - but not even Chef Gordon Ramsey is going to make a three-course, world class, succulent, gourmet meal with chicken intestines, a rat's thigh and an onion. You use dung as ingredients and you know what kind of burger you'll be having for dinner.

Posted by: Kosh2 | April 3, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

FIRE THE COACH

Posted by: rockotodd | April 3, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

onalfo is the one who determines and is responsible for scouting talent.... is this is the best he could do?

Posted by: temuco | April 3, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

There are too many new names on this team. It will take a month or two before these guys learn how to play together. I sure hope they do...

Posted by: glfrazier | April 3, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

This was deja vu of last year. We dominate 70 minutes and then give up the game. We had nothing, two Pontius headers and thats it, we have nothing in the final third.

Posted by: rockotodd | April 3, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Kosh, I can guarantee that there is rat meat at RFK.

Posted by: Reignking | April 3, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

sick and tired of this crap!!!!

we need a real central Midfielder!!!!!

Posted by: godpere | April 3, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Just got home from the game, can't believe I missed Butler beating Michigan State for that nonsense. But, a couple of comments from beautiful RFK.

First, our illustrious owner cruised through the Screamijng Eagles tailgate following that well known soccer fan, LaVar Arrington, around like a love sick puppy. It was pathetic, LaVar took some photo's, but didn't actually talk to anyone - god forbid they ask him a soccer question. Mr. Chang just followed along in the entourage, almost as an afterthought. I didn't see him talk to anyone either - but I didn't really pay that much attention.

Inside, the typical opening day crowd - alot of 22 year olds drunk off their butts talking and hooking up and paying no attention to the game. If your going to be in the screaming eagles - barra brava sections, rule number 1 - SING! Unwrittten rule 1 - PAY ATTENTION TO THE MATCH!

RFK ran out of food, they didn't have enough support staff, and the men's rooms were flooded. Just another brilliant start for DC's most succesful franchise!

Posted by: harkes4ever | April 3, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

So I went to the game and the atmosphere was great. The one positive side to this horrible outcome. it reminded me of our glory days. But like I said before DC needs a midfield and strikers. This unit is not cutting it. Moreno is showing his age but he tried. He needs more help which never existed. Finishing was bad. DC played well in the first half but just disappeared in the second.
O well 28 more to go.
Also as a marketing ploy do not remove Castillo so early. La raza didn't appreciate it.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | April 3, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

O well 28 more to go.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | April 3, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I blame the loss on lot 8 being screwed up.

Posted by: rockotodd | April 3, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

You think lot 8 bad?

There are TREES small trees growing out of the steps in the 400 section. not grass, not weeds, but small trees.

DCU Please prune the trees before games.

Posted by: DCB23 | April 3, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

"DCU Please prune the trees before games."

Ha!

Posted by: benonthehill | April 3, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

The United game tonight was an absolute blast. Best atmosphere for any of the local sports teams. Tons of tailgating, the stands were rocking, the drums were pounding, outstanding. The game itself wasn't so hot, the United should have won it in the first half when we played about 40 minutes of soccer on their half of the field. When you dominate play and can't score you almost always lose. The second half was sloppy on both sides making for a dull game until NE scored those two goals. Pretty nice shots but not what we wanted to see.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 3, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I have come to believe that you don't actually ever go to game. You really only troll the blog so you can piss people off by saying THE United. Maybe you should consider getting a facebook account and pretending to get friends.

Posted by: rockotodd | April 3, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I pretty much agree w PB69's assessment this time.

Talent-wise this could be worse squad DC has ever started a season with.

Tonight DC dominated while also seeming to be completely toothless in attack. Maybe these early results won't count since the league's website isn't quite fully operational.

But I'm pretty sure we've already laid claim to be the undisputed last place team in the league.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 3, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

The United crowd was full of people wearing various colors of foam hats advertizing a tax preparation company that were supposed to look like the Statue of Liberty. Since I haven't seen that posted in this blog, I'd have no way of knowing that other than attending the United game tonight. If somehow my presence pisses you off, I really don't know what to say, the United fans claim to be welcoming of all fans but they are really a closed group on this blog.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 3, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Not read any of this sh!t, but I will tell you that the "PR" just across the street from NC Sate campus on Oberlin St. in Raleigh was very hospitable even with this Final Four carp going on.. Didn't watch the game on Direct Kick, but ComcastSportsnet HD in Raleigh....
Just saying. I'd go back there, they were cool and their burgers and beers were fine.
Damn shame

Posted by: DadRyan | April 3, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Remember that whole Ben's Chili Bowl thing? The first two stadium staffers I asked to find out where it was didn't know, and the third one just pointed down the concourse and said "That way." I texted DCU and got this response:

"Apologies if this message has been sent twice. Ben's Chili Bowl is behind Section 302, though it won't be open until April 17th."

Posted by: Juan-John | April 3, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't agree with Dips more. Stands were as full as I've ever seen for a regular season DCU match that didn't involve the Galaxy. Buzzing, too. Actually made it hard for me to find a perch I liked -- and kept winding up in front of annoying know-it-all blowhards.

Still, I was mostly enjoying the match, though it revealed what I've been saying since the offseason began. This team -- in a word -- lacks finesse. Even Moreno's touch is starting to go. The rest of the team couldn't hit the side of a barn if there was a defender in front. They'd either knock it into the defender, or put it over or wide.

They can't make space for themselves, and lack the shooting skills to do anything with it, if they could make space. Mansailly showed what one player can do with a little finesse. DC United doesn't have anyone with that level of skill any more.

There are 2 ways to score, when you bil it down to basics. Either your speed and tactics create space for a teammate to knock a ball into a wide-open net, or you have to individually find a way to put the ball in the net, with defenders and a goalie in front. Right now, DC United lacks the creativity in midfield to do the former, and lacks the shooting and finishing to do the latter.

I watch Pontius play and I feel he should be a fantastic target forward, but he has no finesse in the air. He can't bring a header with any control and his headed shots always sail over the goal. Castillo -- I'm trying to understand how he got into position to score against the USA. Did he play more centrally or more forward? He was useless tonight. Q is fun to watch but he's no scorer. Khumalo made a little space for himself in the 90th minute with a nice move towards the center -- but instead of shooting he tried to serve up a header for teammates, which didn't work out. Probably for the best, because he can't shoot like Mansailly. No one on this team can.

Posted by: fischy | April 3, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Powerboater, if you'd just drop the incessant "the" baloney we'd accept you just as much as we accept the "born again" Mastodork Juan". With a tip of the hat, a snort, and a spit in your direction when your back is turned. Quite acting like a squadoosh bag and everyone will be just fine with you regardless of your bonerish sillyness.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 3, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

The one play that really impressed me was when Wallace stuck his foot out and beat the defender to the ball, knocking it forward and then broke into a run up the field. He delivered a great pass to Q, who, of course, shot right at the goalie. Unfortunately, not long after, Wallace got all turned around by Mansailly -- literally. He had his back to him, when the Revs player shot for the 2nd goal. What kind of defense is that?

Bring on the real players -- the ones they're saving all that cap room for.....

Posted by: fischy | April 3, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Moreno has no speed left, when they kicked a through ball up patt him it was a wasted play because he'll never beat a professional defender in the open field. He is still a great ball handler but his main skill now appears to be drawing fouls near the penalty box.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 3, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: harkes4ever | April 3, 2010 10:11 PM
------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't say I noticed any of that. Lines were long, so I suppose they were a bit unprepared for the numbers of people. They were doing brisk business, though. I was impressed with all the concessions that were open. Can't remember seeing anything like that last year. Didn't notice any flooding in the bathroom I picked ---- but floods aren't the fault of stadium management -- it's the idiots who stuff up the toilet. Did notice a faucet that wouldn't turn off -- that should be fixed. My biggest complaint was the $10.00 for the regular sized beer at the bar. That's a 33% hike. Pretty outrageous. I'll be cutting back on those this year.

Posted by: fischy | April 3, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | April 3, 2010 11:08 PM
-----------------------------------------------

Dude, that's your fault, not theirs. This wouldn't have surprised you, if you were paying attention. The announcement about Ben's was clear on that point. Ledo's and the BBQ were opening first. Ben's wasn't opening until the next game.

Posted by: fischy | April 3, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

@Powerboater
Actually I am not sure why you think we are welcoming of all fans. We hate the Sounders fans, we hate the Red Puke fans, and we hate you. I was at the game in my normal seats and I have no idea what you are talking about with the "foam hats". Maybe you should just stick to the Why-Can't-We-Carry_Guns-in-A-Church blog and leave the rest of us alone.

Posted by: rockotodd | April 3, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

@rockotodd, re: form hats

Liberty Tax Service. Tons of people on the quiet side had them. The must have been handing them out in the Lot 8 tunnel or on the walk from the metro.

Posted by: mason08 | April 3, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Good news:

Attendance: 20,664

Posted by: Reignking | April 3, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

They were handing the foam hats out to fans coming from lot 8. We parked in lot 7 but bought our tickets from La Norte near the tunnel from lot 8. I still can't figure out why so many of the United fans put on those things when they had absolutely no connection to the team.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 3, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

At least you'll beat Philadelphia.

Right?

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan
------------------------------------------

Can I assume that your trolling/gloating is inspired by pent up hatred fed by 14 years of absolutely awful MetroCows sides?

Whatever the reason, STFU...and remember that your trophy case is still EMPTY.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | April 3, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

So who on this team is going to score the first goal?

I think our only hope this season is PK's from Moreno.

Maybe its a bad sign that the first thing KC did when they got rid of Onalfo was bring on a bunch of competent strikers...

He does realize you need to score goals, right?

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 3, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Well, this is not good- we can't effing score!! Plenty of good play and positives, but no goals. Two great goals from the Revs that our D or keeper couldn't have done much more about are unfortunate, but let's face it- we should've put this game to bed before the 70th minute. We had the opportunities. We just refuse to take first-look shots, and instead pass it around to try and locate an open man. The Revs are not a good team to do that on, as their defense is airtight.

Also, we lost everything once Barklage was subbed out. He had been by far our best player, and yes, Najar looked great, but it was a poor trade at the expense of Barklage. Kurt should have taken Jaime, who was panting and jogging around at that point, out, and moved Tino up top.

Positives: Barklage, Pena, Najar, Quaranta (in stretches), Castillo (in the first half), Wallace
Negatives: Moreno (finally looks his age), Talley (looked lost)
Neutrals: Morsink, James, Jakovic, Perkins, Pontius

So, not too many negatives. We just need to finish opportunities. We did a good job of limiting the Revs' opportunities, but they capitalized anyway. I'd rather that be the case for us.

Posted by: kdiff813 | April 3, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

@fischy: thx, you're right, my bad assumption.

Great atmosphere tonight. The Philly game later on this summer should be interesting!

Posted by: Juan-John | April 3, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Forgot, Seattle-NY is on.

Posted by: Reignking | April 3, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

The lack of scoring is a definite concern. DC dominated the first half but had no communication up front. Pontius repeatedly sent hopeful passes to nonexistent cutters. By contrast, the midfield and defense seemed to communicate well.

Furpo played very well, with 2-3 quite difficult saves, and without those saves perhaps the Revs would not have had the energy to get some shots on goal in the second half. Quaranta was absolutely robbed on a free kick.

The defense played mostly a good game, they just need to learn to play the full 90. And the offense needs way more creativity.

Is this a playoff team? Probably not. But let's not get totally hysterical (yet).

Posted by: paulkp | April 3, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

The first 20 minutes the team looked fantastic, and everyone around us was pleasantly surprised. Then we either ran out of gas, or they solved us, or both, because the flow died until the Revs scored. This "afraid to shoot" thing has carried on for a few years now. I know the players see the angle better than we do in the stands, but at some point you have to quit passing it around.

Nice crowd, and good show before the game. Though this new $10 beer thing means I'm only drinking in the parking lot.

Posted by: eadc | April 3, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

What else is there 2 say - WE SUCK. Crowd was great. This is my first year since 96 not purchasing DCU full season tickets. Sadly, I think I made the right decision. Where are the goals going to come from? We have a -6 GD after just two matches. I'm tired, Good night to all.

Posted by: uknowmeas-GQ | April 3, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

The gridiron lines on the field were disappointing. I thought Goff reported that stadium management had switched to using a paint that washes off faster than the one used last year. RFK has so little respect for its only tenant.

Posted by: chemweapon | April 4, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

The Crap looking field matches the play on it's busted looking surface. My wife thinks Tino is hot, but thinks he plays like a wet noodle...:LOL..

Posted by: DadRyan | April 4, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Yeah. The grass looked bad, but at least it's grass. The surface at the Pink Cows -Sounders match has a grid AND turf.

Posted by: mason08 | April 4, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Kinda looking like the pink cows are about to beat the Flounders in they're home in front of HELLA "consumers". It's gonna be a long week for all of us......

Posted by: DadRyan | April 4, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

@paulkp -- You do make a fair point. Burpo made a great kick save to deny Q on the free kick. We'd be probably talking about a different game and all be gloating, if that had gone in.

As for the field -- the lines kinda sucked, but they 'weren't very noticeable from where I was. I was kinda surprised by all the water that came flying up every time someone ran or kicked at the ground. I guess that was for fresh sod?

Posted by: fischy | April 4, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Perkins stinks like rotten eggs...Its sad that Wicks still might be needed on this team...

Posted by: alan19 | April 4, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Will Chang et al:

Please field a legit DP. Or, if you won't spend for that (which you, as owner of this club should) please at least spend up to the hilarious MLS cap, at least.

If you spend, as have all owners before you, then you are vindicated. If not, you stand, rightly, to be villified.

Please spend what you can.

Posted by: kjm1971 | April 4, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse