MLS and WPS attendance watch

MLS
Chivas USA: 12,597
(Afternoon starts in SoCal = bad idea)
Philadelphia Union: 34,780
(Security delays caused by VP Biden's presence prevent fewer witnesses to D.C. United's ghastly first-half performance)
New England Revolution: 12,798
(Where were you when Schilawski made history?)
Kansas City Wizards: 10,228
(Near-sellout crowd takes celebration to Hooters across street)
Chicago Fire: 20,276
(At sold-out Toyota Park, defective parts ruin home opener)
FC Dallas: 8,422 10,556
(Second ticket window opens for second-game surge)
Houston Dynamo: 16,459
(Say "Buddle's double befuddles and troubles" 10 times fast)
Real Salt Lake: 19,970
(Thanks to Saborio's late equalizer, free calzone at Sbarro!)

WPS
Washington Freedom: 3,899
(Only one game last year drew fewer spectators)
St. Louis Athletica: 3,356
Philadelphia Independence: 6,028
Sky Blue (N.J.): 4,440

Come to Pappa! Marco Pappa's rocket against San Jose:
Get Microsoft Silverlight

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 12, 2010; 11:08 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Freedom , MLS , Women  | Tags: C.D. Chivas USA, FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo, Kansas City Wizards, Major League Soccer, New England Revolution, Real Salt Lake, Saint Louis Athletica, Washington Freedom
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United news & notes
Next: D.C. United friendly vs. AC Milan on May 26

Comments

Contrary to what was printed by the formerly great daily newspaper in Dallas, the attendance at PHP was actually 10,556, according to FCD: http://twitter.com/FCDallasWeb/status/11974777645

Posted by: cockybovine | April 12, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Sensing some friendly (?) domestic competition, Soccer Insider decides to ramp up the snark.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 12, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

We get it, Goff, you hate the suburbs. There are Hooters in urban centers near subway stops and young professional neo-progressives too.

Posted by: EricB1 | April 12, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: EricB1
----------------------------

Sensitive much?

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | April 12, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

@EricB1: are those Hooters near large empty areas that can hold a stadium and a taligating lot? If so, please contact Will Chang c/o DC United.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 12, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Plenty of empty space in Baltimore, no? ;)

Posted by: EricB1 | April 12, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Hooters Field at VW Arena

Posted by: Kev29 | April 12, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Sorry about the repeats. Feel free to delete any and all....

Posted by: EricB1 | April 12, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I live in the suburbs. And I love Hooters. So there. ;-)

Dallas attendance updated.

SG

Posted by: Steve Goff | April 12, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

There used to be space in Baltimore, until EricB1 filled it with his posts.

Posted by: the_slammer | April 12, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Coming back on the train, I noticed the canvas-like roofing going up on Union's stadium. It's a great little locale there next to the bridge. Chester looks like it needs some revitalizing but if you squint you can see a cool little downtown there.

Posted by: DCB23 | April 12, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

There used to be space in Baltimore, until EricB1 filled it with his posts.

Posted by: the_slammer | April 12, 2010 11:52 AM

DING!

Posted by: Kev29 | April 12, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I go to Hooters for the wings!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 12, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Hooters"?!

"Surrender into the night
Silently take my hand
Nobody knows what's inside us
Nobody understands
They handed us down a dream
To live in this lonely town
But nobody hears the music
Only the echo of a hollow sound

Where do the children go
Between the bright night and the darkest day
Where do the children go
And who's that deadly piper who leads them away..."

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 12, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I go to Hooters for the wings!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 12, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I like their salads.

Posted by: stwasm | April 12, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCB23 | April 12, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse
=========================

Yep. Kind of like Poplar Point. In need of a wee bit of revitalizing, and if you are on acid you can see a nice little riverfront there.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 12, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I love me some snark.

Dream girl:
A Hooter's waitress with the snark of Senor Goff.

Posted by: PEddy | April 12, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Marco Pappa has been steadily improving over the last couple of years. Awesome goal!

Posted by: alan19 | April 12, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Man, who on United's current starting roster do you see hitting a shot like that? I want some good acquisition news soon!

Posted by: beergorila | April 12, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Off topic but I'm still disappointed in the state of our club. Just not the excitement around the black & red that the rest of the league is enjoying.

We are like a house that was built in the mid 90s. The house was great but than you walk in one day and just see some formica counter tops and and an off white fridge. This squad is in some serious need of some granite and stainless steel. I find myself more excited about what is going on around the league at large than anything happening at RFK. Boring, boring, boring. The front office needs to pick up there game and stop living off yester year.

Posted by: ATPDC | April 12, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Our current form may lead to some Dallas-like attendance figures at RFK. Shorter beer lines, I guess?

Posted by: Hoost | April 12, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

there=their

Posted by: ATPDC | April 12, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Yikes the WPS numbers are not looking good.

Posted by: Ron16 | April 12, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I remember Pontius having a freaking lazer beam goal in Champions League last year right? couldn't find it on youtube but I bet it's there somewhere's...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 12, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

The WPS numbers are not good.

Freedom are at home this Sunday at 4 pm. $20 will get you in and you are free to roam around wherever you'd like.

There will be ice cold beer for $5 in Freedom beer sleeves on the hillside behind the goal.

Take a look at Tobin Heath of Atlanta. Super fun player to watch. If Saturday's Freedom game was any indication, she will have plenty of room to operate ;)

There is now a jumbotron. Well, it's more of a medium-tron.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 12, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

With a Caps playoff game at the same time, no Blanco and two disappointing teams, I don't want to know what the attendance will be at RFK next weekend..

Posted by: rademaar | April 12, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

"I go to Hooters for the wings!"

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood

"I like their salads."

Posted by: stwasm

Hooters has food? I only drink there!

Posted by: soccerman | April 12, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Philly's stadium folks did a good job of getting the DC fans seated in time for the game. We didn't have to leave the parking lots where the buses were parked (and where we had our own beer) as early as we thought we might have to.

For DC fans, security to enter the stadium didn't seem any more tight than the normal stuff for entering RFK. The lines entering the stadium moved much better than they did for the Real Madrid game at Fed Ex last summer.

We did have to sit very high up so I couldn't quite make out the player names on the jerseys. Did we start Riquelme or are we waiting a few more days since the transfer deadline still has about 3 days left?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 12, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Goff tweeting: DCU and UMd game on Wednesday is off.

Posted by: fischy | April 12, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty bad at recognizing faces, but I thought I saw Pia Sundhage at the Freedom match. Can anyone confirm or refute?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 12, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Goff tweeting: DC United will scrimmage Najar's U-17 team 10v10 with Najar in a scrimmage vest as a neutral #10.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 12, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey Coach Gabbara, here's something from the write-up of the Philly game last weekend:

"Lori Lindsey controlled the midfield for the Independence, distributing perfectly weighted through balls to the forwards and executing defensive tackles in the middle of the park."

Posted by: OWNTF | April 12, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I go to Hooters for the breasts.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 12, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Pia was there. I had a VERY brief chat with her as she was running to catch up with Abby after the game. More of an exchange of pleasantries.

I would have gotten an autograph for OWNTF, but there was no time. Alas...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 12, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

More people got up at the crack of dawn to pay $25 for parking to watch Texas Stadium get imploded than paid nothing for parking to watch FCD in Frisco the night before.

So I am thinking the way to boost the attendance is more explosions at Pizza Hut Park.

Posted by: IamAM | April 12, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

You know that guy in "Office Space" who lives in the condo next to Ron Livingston?

That's how I picture P McP.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 12, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Nah, I'm a little more clean-cut than Lawrence. And my method of employment is much more along the lines of Peter's, Samir's, and Michael Bolton's.

Shoot, even one time at a company bday party for one of the higher ups (and yes this is a true story) we were passing slices of cake around when I realized the guy next to me who I was passing cake to was actually named Milton.

Obviously I had to shoot him the line of, "Now Milton, don't be greedy, let's pass it along and make sure everyone gets a piece."

Of course he didn't get it and looked at me like I had lobsters coming out of my ears.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 12, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

We need more flair.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 12, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Philadelphia and Seattle drew more in their home openers than the average club attendance this season in La Liga, Serie A and EPL.

Posted by: bartapest1 | April 12, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Wish I could get those vids to work. Great work MLsoccersoccer!

Posted by: Reignking | April 12, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't recall any instances of the Freedom and DCU playing at the same time last year. I don't know whether there will be any more such situations for the remainder of this season. For the Freedom's sake, I hope not.

BTW, Soccer America reports opening-day crowds for USL/NASL that are much lower than those for WPS, essentially consistent with last year's numbers.

Posted by: universityandpark | April 13, 2010 12:52 AM | Report abuse