MLS weekend flashback

Several superb goals, several disappointing turnouts.....

FC Dallas 2, Sounders 2: 8,512 at Pizza Hut Park
Mmm, stuffed crust. At least something associated with Pizza Hut is full.

Red Bulls 2, Union 1: 15,619 at Red Bull Arena
At 4-1, New York is one win from equaling 2009 total.

Crew 1, Real Salt Lake 0: 14,322 at Crew Stadium
Last year, reigning champion Columbus started 0-2-5. This year, reigning champion RSL is 1-3-1.

Rapids 2, Revolution 1: 8,142 at Gillette Stadium
Sadly, few witnesses to Ballouchy's skipping goal from 25-plus yards, Perovic's free kick from 25-plus and Mastroeni's one-timer from 30.

Fire 2, Dynamo 0: 11,312 at Toyota Park
10 yellow cards and two red cards ... and Blanco wasn't even there.

Wizards 0, Galaxy 0: 10,045 at CommunityAmerica Ballpark
I know L.A. doesn't allow goals (one in five matches), but this failure by Kamara from the goal line was ridiculous.

Chivas USA 3, Earthquakes 2: 14,389 at Home Depot Center
Kljestan's strike from distance almost as priceless as his Brad Pitt-in-Inglorious-Basterds mustache.

Toronto FC 2, Sounders 0: 18,392 at BMO Field
Last week, the Chicago keeper had an assist. This week, referee Jorge Gonzalez had a touch on a TFC cross before De Rosario's goal. Next week, D.C. United earns its first assist of the season? Nah.

WPS: Four weekend matches averaged just 3,086. Only four of 12 games this season have drawn more than 4,000.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 25, 2010; 10:16 PM ET
Categories:  MLS  | Tags: BMO Field, Chivas USA, D.C. United, FC Dallas, MLS, Major League Soccer, Pizza Hut Park, Real Salt Lake, Toronto FC, soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans abroad
Next: Monday kickaround

Comments

DC United is the only team in MLS without a point. But DC United is not a pointless team. No, not pointless, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 25, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Seattle is having a hard time winning on grass again.
Thinking about taking some of the U-3's to the NYRB/DCU dust up next week. Early game. Thinking even in these lean times that this rare early game might be an intelligent opportunity to drag the kids out to the wreck on the banks of the mighty Anacostia...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 25, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Is Kamara's miss the greatest miss of all time?

Pretty average attendance numbers all around.

The Chivas game was pretty good. Kljestan ran the show but I still don't think he is good enough for the international level. Some of his touches in the midfeild that went unpunished would have been huge disasters against better opponents.

Redbull/Philly game was really enjoying. Some good soccer all around.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 25, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

"really enjoying"?

I know it's me and all, but... seriously dude? You're in graduate school?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 25, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

;) JK BTW DAWG...:)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 25, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Whats wrong with "really enjoying." It is grammatically correct. Could I use better words? Yes. Childish? Slightly. And no worries DadRyan I just reread my post and found it funny too.

The sad thing is not only am I in grad school but I have multiple papers in the works for conferences and on a paper on race that I might get published. My writing is usually better there than it is here. Also, I am not that smart.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 25, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Whats wrong with "really enjoying." It is grammatically correct. Plus it was a good game and you know it. Could I use better words? Yes. Childish? Slightly. And no worries DadRyan I just reread my post and found it funny too.

The sad thing is not only am I in grad school but I have multiple papers in the works for conferences and a paper on race that I might get published. My writing is usually better there than it is here. I am not that smart. Just faking it till someone finds out :)

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 25, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

This thread is really enjoyingable.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 25, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Didn't think the first post loaded. My bad. The second one is the one pre-proof read. As is evident.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 25, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Goff, I would like to recommend that you collect videos like Kamara's and hold your own "No Goal of the Year Award" to honor the players who scuffed the easiest chances. Make it so!

Posted by: Hokienautic | April 26, 2010 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Kei Kamara: Giving a whole new meaning to the phrase "missed it by THAT much."

(would you believe...?)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 26, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

This was by far DC United's best weekend so far this season...

Posted by: alan19 | April 26, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

What no credit for Kamara's almost goal with his knee cap later in the game?

To give him credit he did have a great game and KC is looking like one of the stronger teams in MLS. It's amazing what you can achieve with a talented group of players once Onalfo is out of the picture.

Also credit to KC fans who are some of the loudest in MLS. Even with a small and crappy baseball stadium they are selling out and bringing in more fans (in the rain!) than Dallas, Colorado and New Engalnd, two of which have their own soccer specific stadiums.

A few years ago everyone was calling for KC to be moved but with a new owner and new coach they are completely turning things around.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 26, 2010 12:39 AM | Report abuse

If we start being Grammatifarian's, I'm in serious trouble.

Then again, I'm not turning these posts in for a grade.

Posted by: delantero | April 26, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Delantro... The worst thing is even when I try to write a grammatically correct post I botch it. I should just own up to being a fool.

Southeasterner. I agree KC really are doing it right. They have a good team and a growing fan base. We just got their old average coach.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 26, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

MLS teams draw fans when they win. NYRB is winning and if it continues, it will fill that stadium. The problem is the legacy of failure associated with that club and even the excellent start that it has in 2010 and the nice weather and all that, soccer fans anywhere in the USA won't commit until they see that results are the rule and not the exception.

Posted by: lgm6986 | April 26, 2010 5:55 AM | Report abuse

The attendance numbers look below average to me. The Fire should be doing better in Toyota Park. I find it hard to believe there were anywhere near 14k fannies in seats at Crew stadium. The Chivas numbers look better than they have in a while.

On the women's side, the numbers look downright ominous. I believe they set themselves what they described as a modest goal of averaging 5,000 people per game. 3,000 per game is not going to cut it. If things don't improve I'm afraid that league won't last beyond this season.

Posted by: Ron16 | April 26, 2010 6:43 AM | Report abuse

WPS numbers have just sucked, but weather was a big factor in MLS attendance this weekend.

Posted by: sitruc | April 26, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

maybe everyone is saving up for their trips to the World Cup

Posted by: fedssocr | April 26, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Chivas v Earthquakes game had a few moments, but too many unforced turnovers continue to be part and parcel of MLS football. It seems that either the coaches have a tough time of implementing a simple tactical plan of possession or their individual players just don't get it. As for FSC Christopher Sullivan and his co-partner, Mr. Dunseth, their commentary borders on deceit and dishonesty. There constant chatter and decription of "great, fantastic and amazing" plays is total distortion of what is really happening on the pitch. Two former footballers are clueless to realize that the game speaks for itself; whether it's mediocre, good, or terrific.

Posted by: juke2 | April 26, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

From Freedom press release:

“After Philly’s first goal they gained a lot of confidence and were able to just build off that,” said Freedom head coach, Jim Gabarra. “I am disappointed in the 20 minutes that we stopped competing. Against a team like Philadelphia, we need to keep fighting.”

Again with the blame-the-players routine.

This guy makes me ill.

I am hoping for the day that a reporter asks him some tough questions about tactics and player selection.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 26, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

did a graphics design intern do the DCU v AC Milan ad on the side of the screen?

Posted by: nairbsod | April 26, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Montreal Impact vs Portland Timbers on a yesterday in Montreal: 13,034

Portland Timbers vs Rochester Rhinos, home opener Saturday 17th: 15,418

Now those numbers are definitely not typical of clubs playing in the second division. They are definitely exceptions and not the rule.

KC and the baseball stadium--ok. I'll give them a pass due to where they have to play right now.

But Dallas, New England and even Chicago have goe to be a bit embarrassed by their turnouts compared to those two second division clubs.

Those attendances are part of the reason that Portland (playing at a freaking baseball stadium) and Montreal (who do reportedly previously were comping a lot of ticket)--that is part of the reason why Portland was selected and that Montreal is going to get in when Saputo and Gillete (if he is still on board with Saputo) fork out the buy-in money.

Posted by: yankiboy | April 26, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF

I like Lori Lindsey quote better, more honest....................

On playing her former team:
"It’s always fun to go up against players you’re familiar with and friendly with, so it was a lot of fun."

I would translate to: Fun to show former coach he made a mistake by leaving me unprotected in draft. How? By assissting on two goals and out playing my replacements.

Posted by: footballfan9 | April 26, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF: maybe Jim needs to take a look in the mirror and ask himself some hard questions like "Why did my team fall off for 20 minutes? What do I need to change to keep them focused? What can I do better?

No reporters are going to ask him a hard question--c'mon.

Many people clamor and cry out for equal treatment for women sports but the truth is that rarely are women athletes (especially in the non-individual team sports) or the coaches held under the same microscope that male athletes and coaches of male teams are.

I would be shocked even if a crack guy like Tenorio skewered Jim and the Freedom the way that Goff does Goff does with Onalfo and United.

What reporter is going to go up to Abby and really give call her out as a team leader the way that they would a US Nat star playing for an MLS club that is supposed to be helping his club get over the hump???

I hope and pray for the day that we get there.

I'm not saying it's Abby's fault. I'm not saying that it's any of the other Freedom internationals' faults. But if that team can't get better results with the talent that they have then maybe Mr. Discovery Channel needs to make a technical staff change.

I respect everything that Jim has done and his dedication during the W-league years.

But enough is enough already.

Jim needs to keep asking himself why we keep seeing the same movie over and over again.

Posted by: yankiboy | April 26, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

the low turn out for the womens games is because, wait for it, its WOMENS games.

very few womens sports have ANY paid regular attendence - even collegiate naked lacrosse doesnt draw fans.

except for ice skating and tennis, no one likes to pay to watch womens sports. especially when competing against sports that men play.

Maybe the Olympic bikini contest draws some fans (aka beach volleyball) - the sport falls all over itself to sex it up with the tiniest of "uniforms"

and its not an American thing - same situation occurs pretty much all over the world.

get used to it. invest because its the right thing to do - but dont ever expect to get a decent return on the investment.

Posted by: Section107 | April 26, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

That was 15,000 at RBA? Were they disuised as seats?

Posted by: boda-united | April 26, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

That was 15,000 at RBA? Were they disuised as seats?

NY fans still haven't figured out how to get to their seats at kickoff. By about 30 minutes in, the place was about 60% full.

Keep in mind that the worst selling section is the prawn sandwich seats opposite the cameras.

But the main thing is that NY is 12 points ahead of DC after five games, with a fantastic stadium and the cap space to sign two more DPs this year... and their attendance to date is up 60% over 2009. Even the Dallas game, played in freezing weather, when RBA was half full, with 25% more people than the second game of 2009. Whining about NY's crowds when attendance is very significantly higher that a year ago is the equivalent of a monkey flinging its poop.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | April 26, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Portland Timbers vs Rochester Rhinos, home opener Saturday 17th: 15,418

Yankiboy, attendance at the 2nd Timbers home game was less than 6000.

Portland is going to be an excellent addition to MLS, and I'm sure that they'll sell out every game in their expansion year. But Portland fans anticipating the move to MLS have every incentive to buy season tickets (which go for around $200), as that will put them at the top of the list for the move to MLS.

Some folks are really abusing statistics when they compared the Portland opener attendance to the NY 2nd game last week. Apples to apples, NY drew 25k for their opener to Portland's 15.5k opener. NY drew 13.5k to their second game, while Portland drew 5800 to their second game.

NY is doing great as it is. When/if they sign a huge name later this season, they'll be doing even better.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | April 26, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse