Monday kickaround

*The Washington Freedom yielded three goals in the final 36 minutes and lost to the WPS expansion Philadelphia Independence, 3-1. Up next for the Freedom (1-2) is St. Louis Athletica on Saturday evening at RFK Stadium, the only doubleheader with D.C. United this season.

*In the second division, former DCU striker Nicholas Addlery had a goal in Puerto Rico's 3-1 victory at Crystal Palace Baltimore. ... In the third division, Real Maryland won at the Harrisburg City Islanders, 2-0, and will host the Charleston Battery on Tuesday night. ... In a friendly that raised money for brain tumor research, 2008 NCAA champion Maryland defeated 2009 champion Virginia, 1-0.

*Who needs Lionel Messi when you have Jeffren Suarez, 22, a Venezuelan-born Spanish winger. Watch the video of his goal in Barcelona's 3-1 victory over Xerez and listen to GolTV's Ray Hudson make a "Disco Duck" reference:

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 26, 2010; 10:18 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , Freedom , Spain , USA 2nd division , USL  | Tags: Charleston Battery, Crystal Palace Baltimore, D.C. United, FC Barcelona, Harrisburg City Islanders, Jeffren Suarez, Lionel Messi, Saint Louis Athletica, Washington Freedom
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS weekend flashback
Next: D.C. United drawing crowds, but ...

Comments

Again Gabarra with the blame-the-players routine. This guy makes me ill.

I am hoping that a reporter soon asks him some tough questions about tactics and player selection.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 26, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

my only question is: where was Disco Stu?

Posted by: diego_r | April 26, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Disco Stu doesn't advertise.

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 26, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Nice goal, better set-up pass.

A better piece of skill IMO is Drogba's catch and assist on the 1st of Chelsea's 7 goals yesterday. The catch is sick.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 26, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Again Gabarra with the blame-the-players routine. This guy makes me ill.

Posted by: OWNTF
-----------------------------------------
Responded to that in the other thread.

Keep hoping. I don't think that it is going to happen.

Posted by: yankiboy | April 26, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF
===========

Start a blog and get press credentials. Of course, if anyone in the Freedom FO reads your blog, you won't get credentials.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 26, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

OT, but it seems tickets to the mid-week USOC match are priced the same as the league matches. Aren't they usually cheaper? I was going to bring all of my office colleagues for an experience, but it seems like a lot of money for a meaningless game between two crappy teams on a weeknight in the rain.

Posted by: troy6 | April 26, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Is Ali Krieger coming back after Frauen Fussball? If so, when?

Posted by: OWNTF | April 26, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Maybe you can buy the cheapest tickets and then sit in the better seats. Tell the usher that the TV people told you to move to make the crowd look bigger.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 26, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I think I predicted three seasons max for WPS. I don't mean to be a hater, but look at how much MLS struggles. WNBA has had lots of issues despite being subsidized by the NBA. I just don't see a women's pro league making it more than a few years.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | April 26, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Is that the first time that the word Magisterial was used in a sports broadcast?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 26, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Ha! Just looking over UVa's NFL draft list, and Yannick Reyering wasn't drafted ;)

Posted by: Reignking | April 26, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Who's the other announcer in the Barcelona video? I have fond memories of his voice for some strange reason.

Posted by: PEddy | April 26, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I-270: No, it's not the first time "magisterial" has been used in a sports broadcast, because Ray uses it quite frequently. But has anyone *else* ever used it in a sports broadcast? Not to my knowledge.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | April 26, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, christopher_a_metzler, for that magisterial response.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 26, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Is Ali Krieger coming back after Frauen Fussball? If so, when?

Posted by: OWNTF | April 26, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

From what I understand, she is not. The Freedom decided it wasn't worth having a player for just half the season.

Posted by: stwasm | April 26, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

If Freedom protected a player that doesn't even return, it will make the decision not to protect Lindsey an even greater F-up. A magisterial F-up.

Maybe Krieger will go to Philly too. I should think Sundhage would want her to play MLS somewhere. Valuable playing time against the non-German internationals.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 26, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Goff August 29, 2009:

*The Insider has obtained the Washington Freedom's protected list ahead of WPS's expansion draft: Abby Wambach, Cat Whitehill, Ali Kreiger, Homare Sawa, Lisa De Vanna, Sonia Bompastor, Erin McLeod, Sarah Huffman, Becky Sauerbrunn and Allie Long. Surprisingly, Lori Lindsey, who was invited to USA national team training camp next month, was not protected.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 26, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

In addition to Lindsey, Philly is making better use of Lohman and Senty than the Freedom ever did. If Krieger joined them, it would be only logical.

Posted by: universityandpark | April 26, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

"magasterial" is a Hudsonism

Posted by: peridigm | April 26, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

AARRGGGHHH!!!! We shoulda won against Philly!! and yes we shoulda kept Lori Lindsay! Joanna Loheman did well yesterday also...another ex-Freedom player gone to an expansion team!!

Posted by: lsf07 | April 26, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse