Saturday kickaround

*Cherry Blossom madness. Charter buses clogging intersections. Tourists confused by our roadways, railways, parkways and freeways. Gorgeous weather. A Nationals-Red Sox exhibition that will end early this evening. And, then of course, D.C. United's home debut at 7:30 tonight against the New England Revolution.

Whether you are driving or taking the packed subway to RFK Stadium, transportation promises to be a headache. (On the bright side, Ledo Pizza and Ben's Chili Bowl will be awaiting you, a massive improvement over the usual RFK gruel.) Plan accordingly. Also, Lot 8 is still undergoing repairs and not fully accessible, and the plaza in front of the stadium will host a pregame concert and activities.

*If you are looking for something completely different to explore while in the RFK area, check out the neighboring Rosedale area.

*The latest weather outlook for tonight's match.

*My front-page profile of DCU Coach Curt Onalfo. Here's the ball that I describe in the introduction of the story:onalfoball.jpg

*The Boston Globe's look at reacquired midfielder Khano Smith. Midfielder Shalrie Joseph will miss his second consecutive match with a hip flexor injury.

*No standard TV coverage of the United-Revs match. You'll need to find Direct Kick on cable/satellite or try to watch on the MLS Web site.

Other matches:
Colorado-Chicago, 4 p.m. ET (Telefutura)
Seattle-New York, 10:30 p.m. (Fox Soccer Channel)

By Steve Goff  |  April 3, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lopez signing, Ching injury, D.C. United updates
Next: Matchnight: United-Revolution

Comments

Posted by: Reignking | April 3, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Have to say that while Chelsea outplayed Man United for most of their match they did not deserve the win...Drogba was 4 feet offside on that deciding goal. Linesman deserves sanctioning.

Posted by: soccerman | April 3, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Actually no Ben's Chili Bowl this week, they show up at the next home game (4/17). Ledo's Pizza and Fat Face BBQ will be there today though.

Posted by: timad26 | April 3, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I like the unintentional Monty Python references, Goff.

"On the bright side"

"for something completely different"

Posted by: spikeman | April 3, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Stoke wins 2-0. Jozy came in at 64 but Boateng was knocked out w/ 15 to go and no subs left.

Posted by: Reignking | April 3, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Pleased by both performances. Jozy starting to look like he's too good for Hull (not kidding, his composure and control were impressive).

Edu, much the same for Rangers.

It's time to be afraid if we can't beat the Revolution sans every player that has made them dominant in recent seasons.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 3, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Good goal by Edu. Thanks for the post Reignking. I would say he is front runner to partner with Bradley on June 12th.

Chelsea were slightly better but I have to say I cannot believe the linesmen missed that call. Just awful. The linesmen gave the game (and the title) away, especially because Chelsea didn't threaten in the second half.

Apparently Altidore looked good today. He will need a good World Cup to assure he is not playing in the Championship next season.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 3, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm in Vermont. How can I watch the game?

Posted by: keepunitedindc | April 3, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Good-googa-mooga, Is Burnley playing without a keeper?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | April 3, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Pouring rain, getting killed, but the Burnley fans are still fantastic.

Posted by: Reignking | April 3, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@keepunitedindc

Hop a helocopter to JFK airport in NYC. A shuttle flight leaves every half hour to National Airport in DC (actually Virginia) Take the Metro Yellow line toward DC transfer to the Orange or Blue Line towards RFK get off at Stadium/Armory. Turn right at the top of the escalator.

I don'r really expect a thank-you so I will say Your welcome now.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | April 3, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

The United should sell 20K+ for this game despite all the Red Sox posers heading over to Nats Park. I can't wait to catch the Wale pregame show, heading over real early to enjoy the weather and drink some Tuppers Hop Pockets.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 3, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if I'll need to show a game ticket to get into the pregame concert? I'm planning on going to the game also...was just going to scalp last minute though.

Posted by: nmeeker | April 3, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

No, I think the concert is outside the stadium and open to all. Usually they set up the music by lot 8 but it sounds like this one is in front of the main gate.

Luckily the baseball game is early and shouldn't effect traffic much if at all.

Posted by: fedssocr | April 3, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

"try to watch on the MLS Web site"

any tech-savvy people have advice on that? I had to give up my tix and spend quality time with people related to me. I will spend that quality time in front of a computer screen if I can figure out the site (or sites).

Posted by: troy6 | April 3, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

""I had to give up my tix and spend quality time with people related to me. I will spend that quality time in front of a computer screen if I can figure out the site (or sites).""

Don't ya just love the holidays? I'm writing off seeing this one as I'm going to boycott that website until they get it together. It's a waste of time.

Posted by: delantero | April 3, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

To those who wondering where to catch the game online (nuts to the MLS site), our good friends at ATDHE.net are showing the game.

Who knows, maybe JustinTV will show it too.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 3, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Floyd of Rosedale?

With my luck, I'd move to Rosedale and United would move to Ashburn...

Posted by: JkR- | April 3, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I like the unintentional Monty Python references, Goff.

"On the bright side"

"for something completely different"

Posted by: spikeman | April 3, 2010 11:37 AM
__________________________________________

How do you know they aren't intentional?

Posted by: universityandpark | April 3, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Nice article about Onalfo. Thanks for the link to the first MLS Cup. I remember Etcheverry being introduced and coming out with white shoes on, and before the game he says, 'We want to give America a lesson in soccer'. What a classic. Those were some great years>

Posted by: Brue | April 3, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I just went to sign up for MatchDay and was informed that its not available outside the US and Canada (I had no problems with it last year). Seeing as MLS doesn't seem to want my $40, I guess I'll be forced to watch the games on the pirate sites.

Posted by: BooThisMan | April 3, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I'll believe it when I see the game on one of the screens, but I've got word from Player's Retreat that they have Direct Kick and are willing to put the DCU match up for me and my family on one of the smaller screens this evening.... I figured there'd be a place near the NC State Campus that couldn't have every single tv tuned into the Final Four right!?!

Wish me luck. I'll be a happy clam win lose or draw if I can just watch the Black and Red tonight.

Vamos United! Raise up! Take your shirt off and twist it round' your head like a helicopter!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 3, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Good-googa-mooga, Is Burnley playing without a keeper?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | April 3, 2010 12:49 PM |
--------------------------------------------------

Mostly, Burnley played without a defense, though the keeper did fudge up the third goal.

As for the Chelsea game, I have trouble saying they didn't deserve the win. Yeah, Drogba was offside, but there were so many bad, crucial refereeing errors. Anelka got hipchecked or cross-checked off the ball by Neville in the first half, and that definitely deserved a PK. Macheda's goal -- handball? Hard to say -- he definitely tried to steer the ball towards the goal, with his arm. The only real question is whether he succeeded, or didn't react fast enough and couldn't quite reach the ball. Chelsea deserved the win.

Posted by: fischy | April 3, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Low turnout in Colorado...

And the "Supporter's Terraces" look more like they just took out the bleachers and they're standing on the concrete. Ick.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 3, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Who knows, maybe JustinTV will show it too.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop

Game looks like it'll be on ATDHE.net now Poopy and Troy.
Good luck.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 3, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm in Vermont. How can I watch the game?
Posted by: keepunitedindc
********************************** Ok, guy It's getting late but I think you can still make it. Call for a helocopter and take it to Hanscom AFB in Massachusettes. Take an F-16 to Bolling Air Force base in DC (actually Maryland). Walk to the Potomac river and catch a boat heading North. Make a right at the Anacostia River, RFK is soon on your left.

I don't really expect you to thank me so I will say you're welcome.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | April 3, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

9Nine9, I applaud you for waking up early and starting your day drinking with the ManU/Chelsea match and keeping the good times rolling till now.... Just how drunk are you at this point? LOL.
Vamos United!

@keepunitedindc, again, the link has popped up at the usual spots listed above... Good luck.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 3, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

No television, another reason why MLS is so second rate. I can get live Columbian football, but not my own team in my own city in my own country. WTF

Posted by: cr10 | April 3, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse