Saturday kickaround

*A look ahead to tonight's D.C. United match against the Chicago Fire at RFK Stadium.

*Fire goalkeeper Andrew Dykstra, who is from Northern Virginia and played at Virginia Commonwealth, will have plenty of local support.

*If you are planning to take Metro to the match, please read this.

*The weather outlook for tonight's game.

*Will United defender Dejan Jakovic face Lionel Messi and Argentina next month?

*Second-division Crystal Palace Baltimore dropped its home opener, 1-0 to Tampa Bay.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 17, 2010; 9:17 AM ET
Categories:  Argentina , Canada , D.C. United , USA 2nd division  | Tags: Andrew Dykstra, Chicago Fire, Crystal Palace, D.C. United, Lionel Messi, Northern Virginia, Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Spectacular goal by Inter Milan's Maicon
Next: Matchnight: United-Fire

Comments

Spoiler: Chicago up 1-0

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 17, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Oh, great, so now instead of giving up a goal in under 10 minutes, we're doing it before the players are even done breakfast.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 17, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

92 minutes of nothing, then - who else - Scholes.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 17, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Beautiful day. I've been a season ticket holder for 13 years, and I can't remember the last time I wasn't enthusiastically looking forward to a match on a day like this. Maybe during the Hudson years. Maybe I need to stop coming to this site and wallowing in the communal misery :)

Posted by: regularfan | April 17, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

@regularfan - I was coming on to write the same thing. Thanks, you saved me the time. I think I'd rather watch the Caps tonight then go to the United game.

Maybe if enough of us say that - and act on it - Will Chang will realize he's got to shake up this organization from the head of the fish down.

Posted by: dsheon1 | April 17, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Barca wouldn't give up the beloved Messi for a meaningless game.

Posted by: TheJim1 | April 17, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Very nice reporting by Tenorio on Dykstra, well worth clicking through to read.

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 17, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Years ago there was a very humdrum opener when DC hosted Chicago in a scoreless tie. The "highlights" were a Chino Alegria shot from outside the area and an attacking run forward from Chicago's Chris "Kaka" Armas.

I'd be happy with a similar result.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 17, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know about the status for Lot 8 tonight? Will it be open for parking?

Posted by: terptilldeath | April 17, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

AFAIK, Lot 8 is still a warzone with very limited available spaces.

Posted by: alecw81 | April 17, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: emanon13 | April 17, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

For the purists, especially the ones who don't want to do the work, the Guardian has the single table MLS standings.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 17, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks I-270. Were doing pretty well in that table too.....

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 17, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

wow...relegation looks like a real possibility this year!

Posted by: birdynumnum | April 17, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse