Seitz's problems continue in Union's loss

A few hours after being somewhat vindicated by the USSF officiating supervisors for last weekend's gaffe against D.C. United, Philadelphia Union goalkeeper Chris Seitz yielded another dodgy goal Thursday night during a 2-1 loss at Toronto FC. This time, no one will come to his defense on Dwayne De Rosario's routine free kick. He was later whistled for a foul that led to De Rosario's go-ahead penalty kick, though that transgression was not nearly as egregious as the first.

When the Union began building its inaugural roster this past winter, it placed its faith in Seitz, who, upon his arrival in MLS from the University of Maryland, was billed as the next great American keeper. However, he sat behind veteran Nick Rimando at Real Salt Lake for three years. No disrespect to Rimando, who has returned to superb form after injuries sidetracked his career, but in Seitz's failure to challenge for the starting job, RSL saw that he was ill-prepared for a full-time role.

This winter, atop the allocation list, the Union could have claimed Troy Perkins but instead traded the slot to United, which was desperate for a seasoned goalie. By then, though, Philadelphia had committed to Seitz. Despite Seitz's problems, the Union probably isn't kicking itself over that decision because Perkins has not met expectations through three losses and the trade yielded a starting midfielder (Fred), a first-round draft pick (Jack McInerney) and allocation money.

"There is no question about Chris Seitz," assistant coach John Hackworth told the Philadelphia Daily News after the Toronto match. "He is our goalie. He is extremely talented."

Still, Seitz's blunders are undoubtedly testing the Union's patience, and one has to wonder whether head coach Peter Nowak will stick with him or turn to Brad Knighton at some point soon.

Video of the first goal Thursday:
Get Microsoft Silverlight

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 16, 2010; 9:00 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS  | Tags: Chris Seitz, D.C. United, Dwayne De Rosario, MLS, Philadelphia Union, Real Salt Lake, Toronto FC, Troy Perkins, soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV listings
Next: D.C. United news & notes

Comments

Carl Sagan! How does Seitz miss that? Then again, Toronto badly needed a win, particularly at home.

Still, DeRo had no reason to celebrate. Instead, he should have simply wiped his brow and said, 'Whew!"

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 16, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

There s still plenty of time for Nowak to be proven correct on wanting Seitz over Perkins...

Posted by: alan19 | April 16, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Seitz rode the pine for a few years, by mid-season he'll be fine.

Posted by: M__N | April 16, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

That was one ugly howler there by Seitz. But the kid is young and he just needs to settle in. he'll be fine soon enough.

Fred looked pretty good out there yesterday and the Torres kid is something to respect. Philly are a player or two away from serious playoff contender status.

Is DeGuzman really a DP? Maybe it's because Preki was playing him out of position, but he was playing something ugly like in the 1st half. He got better in the 2nd, when in his natural position, but DP better? I dunno on that one.

Posted by: Kosh2 | April 16, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

kosh -- I was surprised to see DeGuzman play. He had been sick for a few days.

DeRo's celebration was ridiculous.

Posted by: Reignking | April 16, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Maybe DCU can pick him off waivers once Nowak cuts him.

Posted by: PEddy | April 16, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

AS Hackworth is in la-la-land...Seitz's gaffs are JV high school level...either he needs to get a psych-boost or else try to reinvent himself in another career. In any other league, he would have been history.

Posted by: juke2 | April 16, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Amen. DeRo's celebration... dance... siezure... jiggle... whatever it is called... has been forever one of those things that, for me, would be worth a red card and suspension just to smack him upside the noggin for.

Posted by: freeholdsouth | April 16, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Anyone that still thinks getting Perkins was a bad move please stand up so I can flick you on the forehead! Did we over pay abit, maybe, but will it be worth it in the long run? Definitly. Two games, two howlers from Seitz! I really respect Paul Tamberino, but I flatly disagree with his interpretaion about Jaime's goal last Saturday. Seitz screwed up, plain and simple.

Posted by: jjfooty | April 16, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: freeholdsouth
-------------------------------------------

Don't hate.

My five year old LOVES that dance. She was actually trying to imitate it by the fifth or sixth replay last night (struggling to focus on the lesson that I was trying to give her about getting a goalkeep needing to keep the body behind the ball when attempting to save that sort of shot).

Posted by: yankiboy | April 16, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Even though early season MLS doesn't actually matter (witness RSL last year or Red Bulls year before), Seitz better shape up. Nowak is not known for patience or reasonableness with keepers.

Posted by: saabrian | April 16, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

The real loser here is me and my fantasy keepers. NOTE TO SELF: get rid of Seitz and Perkins!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 16, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Seitz rode the pine for a few years, by mid-season he'll be fine.

Posted by: M__N
------------------------------------------
For his sake, I really hope so. he looked better in college.

If he gives up another goal or two like that, he is going to be considered damaged goods and might not get the chance to make it to mid-season as the starter.

Posted by: yankiboy | April 16, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Uh how about Wez's clothesline elbow to De Guz's face? Seitz may be going through some growing pains, but Calliff's is playing like a grade A d-bag. He looks like one too.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 16, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

yanki: I couldn't care less about the actual dance, but celebrating that goal is ridiculous.

Posted by: Reignking | April 16, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

DeRo's dance is overdone, but in my fantasy manager's role, I'm more upset at him blowing a wide open chance in the final minute.

Speaking of fantasy soccer -- MLS is really trying to make their site a go to place, with their own imitation of the kickaround today, which links to a Grant Wahl attack piece. This time, his target is Freddy Adu. Apparently, the "birthers" have overlooked Adu's real shortcomings -- a complete lack of tactical understanding of the game, which everyone seems to blame on his turning pro so dang early.

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

How did everyone like listening to Harkes talk about how skillful and creative Fred was last night? Fred did have his fair share of give aways but did well in the middle.

Posted by: tcbannon | April 16, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

That was Harkes? I thought that constant monotone whingeing was from vuvuzelas. After a while the brain just filters it out.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 16, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I never like listening to Harkes talk. Absolutely pointless.

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Seitz might not hang around long enough for "Jaime ruined Seitz" to even become part of the folklore. And btw, in a 2-1 game, how are you NOT going to celebrate a goal? A goal is a goal is a goal.

Posted by: weliveindc | April 16, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Was it just me or was Toronto totally clueless going forward. I did not see one run that anticipated a pass or any semblance of strategy. Often as not, a players wouldn't move until his mate had received the ball. Painfull to watch. Philly, wasn't much better but they did have their moments of fluidity.
On the other hand, maybe I have been watching too much La Liga.

Posted by: Ruthie1 | April 16, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Perkins might be on to something, with his switch from the sky blue to a red jersey. Maybe Seitz should take notice:

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

@RK1: I feel ya but DeRo knows that it's show biz and that club doesn't have the best history of home openers.

Posted by: yankiboy | April 16, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe I'm going to reference this, but...

There's a Warrant song called "I saw red..."

I should see a red card for that.

Posted by: Reignking | April 16, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Lucky for Philly there's no relegation, they can afford to hope that they've got another Guzan on their hands.

Then again, DC is just as fortunate.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 16, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Perkins - the best 3 GAA goalie in the league.

Posted by: BigBubba1 | April 16, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

so...we at the very bottom now correct?

Posted by: DCB23 | April 16, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Philadelphia Insider?

Posted by: Springfie1d | April 16, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Reports are the Hicks and Gillett are selling Liverpool. I sure would love some deeper pockets to join Will Chang as owners, build us a stadium and really help grow MLS. The investment level is much more reasonable than the EPL.

Posted by: SeanWG | April 16, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Philadelphia Insider?

Posted by: Springfie1d | April 16, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

Nah.

Soccer Insider? Yes. Say, does Philadelphia happen to have a soccer team too? Say it ain't so. Cause that would be straight up coincidentally, like.

Posted by: Kosh2 | April 16, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Seitz is an example of why MLS desparately needs a Reserve Division. He has had litttle to no game action since the Olympics. There's no question he's talented. The rust is there and the responsibility of being a leader needs to be found. I honestly thought this would happen. I did. I just had a feeling. But by the end of the season Seitz will be just fine. He's going through groing pains. All GK's experience this but how good he'll be will be determined by overcoming the growing pains.

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | April 16, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Califf, Seitz and Barret all were atrocious last night. It kind of frightens me that they all were US national team players at some level. Barret is the most amazing of the bunch. He gets in scoring position as often or more than anyone that has ever played in the MLS and manages to miss every time. Actually he seems to have some skill just scoring isn't one of those skills.

Posted by: csd1 | April 16, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Good article from Grant Wahl linked above. Fischy, I don't think it's an attack piece. It seems truthful and factual. I'm not picking up much bias from Wahl in his writing. The quotes are what other people say and I can't argue with their opinions. Adu's not the savior of US soccer at this time. Will he get better? Maybe. His journey reinforces Nowak's thoughts about not playing him as much in DC as Joe Public wanted him to. He just wasn't/isn't a fully developed player, yet.

Posted by: DrBeaker | April 16, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Fischy,
If red is a distraction for players taking PK's the English should do fine if it gets to that point in the World Cup as long as David James isn't in goal and its a day game. You leave that English goalie in the African sun for 2+ hours and by PK time the player taking the kick will think he is trying to score against a radish with a uniform on.

Posted by: csd1 | April 16, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I could've written that Wahl article, except for the stray dog part.

Posted by: Reignking | April 16, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Fischy,

Posted by: csd1 | April 16, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

jjfooty, you'll have to flick me then, because I think Perkins sucks raw eggs...

Posted by: alan19 | April 16, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

MLS has put out a 'Homegrown Players - What have you done for me' list. The answer is "not much". 14 players -- I had no idea there had been so many. Gerson Mayen is the only one to really contribute. Andy Najar could start making a name for himself tomorrow.

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan

I made the same boneheaded mistake. Stupid Sense of Sentimentality... You've betrayed me.

Posted by: elopingcamel | April 16, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I could've written that Wahl article, except for the stray dog part.

Posted by: Reignking | April 16, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alan19 | April 16, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Fischy,

Posted by: csd1 | April 16, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan

Posted by: elopingcamel | April 16, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I blame Adu's fortunes on his handlers allowing early success to go to his head. Nowak tried but he was roundly criticized by people who know nothing about soccer (Tony K and his PTI/ESPN buddies) and those who ought to know. Adu just didn't get it. Play defense? Heck no! Practice?

Posted by: tundey | April 16, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | April 16, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Seitz is an example of why MLS desparately needs a Reserve Division.
-------------------------
I think this is why MLS needs to stop the petty spat with what's left of USL. Take the players, have USL pay them the USL minimum wage and MLS pay everything in the contract on top of that. Let them play for the USL team unless called up to play for MLS on something like the 15 day contracts the NBA uses, during which MLS pays the entire salary cost.

Posted by: troy6 | April 16, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Fellow Barra members-
Does anyone know the status of Lot 8 for tomorrow's game? Any chacne we can get to park closer to the tailgate instead of taking the hike from another lot? Any assistance is much appreciated.

Posted by: terptilldeath | April 16, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Fellow Barra Fanatics-
Does anyone know the status of Lot 8 for tomorrow's game? Will we be able to park next to the tailgate or will we have to trek across America to get there? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Posted by: terptilldeath | April 16, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I hate watching games when the team has their own nice stadium and a great crowd...... Dangit DC politics, et al for not getting me a stadium.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 16, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Chris will be fine, building the confidence to be a MLS keeper takes time and matches. He actually was a match away from taking Rimando's spot last year. Go back and watch the RSL win at KC, when we took an early lead and then went down to 10 men, Chris and the backline kept the lead and ended up with the win. His mistakes are clear, but I wonder how much of that is him wondering who is going to leave him out to dry on every play.

Chris is young and playing with a defense that is a joke, they have no communication and as you saw last night no real on field leadership.

Posted by: f4denz | April 16, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse