Tight races in European leagues

The Champions League is down to the final few matches. The World Cup is rapidly approaching. Scandal has rocked the French national team. But with the European leagues nearing the end of the calendar, the primary focus is on the compelling races for the domestic trophies. Here's a look at the good ones:

ITALY SERIE A
Roma 71 points, Inter Milan 70
Matches remaining: 4
This weekend: Roma-Sampdoria (4th place) Inter-Atalanta (18th place)

SPAIN LA LIGA
Barcelona 84 points, Real Madrid 83
Matches remaining: 5
This weekend: Barcelona-Xerez (20th), Real-Zaragoza (16th)

ENGLAND PREMIER LEAGUE
Chelsea 77 points, Manchester United 76
Matches remaining: 3
This weekend: Chelsea-Stoke (11th), United-Spurs (4th)

GERMANY BUNDESLIGA
Bayern Munich 63 points, Schalke 61
Matches remaining: 3
This weekend: Bayern Munich-Moenchengladbach (12th), Schalke-Hertha Berlin (18th)

For more.....

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

FRANCE LIGUE 1
Marseille 68 points, Auxerre 63
Matches remaining: 5
This weekend: Marseille-Etienne (17th place), Auxerre-Toulouse (12th)

NETHERLANDS EREDIVISIE
Twente 83 points, Ajax 82
Matches remaining: 1
May 2: Twente-Breda (9th), Ajax-NEC (12th)

TURKEY SUPER LEAGUE
Bursaspor 65 points, Fenerbahce 64
Matches remaining: 4
This weekend: Bursaspor-Galatasaray (3rd), Fenerbahce-Kasimpasa (13th)

PORTUGAL LIGA
Benfica 70 points, Braga 64
Matches remaining: 3
This weekend: Benfica-Olhanense (14th), Braga-Naval (10th)

SERBIA SUPER LIGA
Partizan 63 points, Zvezda 62
Matches remaining: 5
This weekend: Partizan-Metalac (8th), Zvezda-Kula (12th)

SWITZERLAND SUPER LEAGUE
Basel 68 points, Young Boys 68
Matches remaining: 5
This weekend: Basel-Grasshopper (3rd), Young Boys-Xamax (8th)

UKRAINE PREMIER LEAGUE
Dynamo Kiev 65 points, Shakhtar Donetsk 65
Matches remaining: 4
This weekend: Dynamo-Karpaty (5th), Donetsk-Odessa (13th)

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 23, 2010; 12:50 PM ET
Categories:  Bundesliga , England , France , Italy , Netherlands , Portugal , Spain  | Tags: Bayern Munich, Bundesliga, Champions League, F.C. Internazionale Milano, FC Bayern Munich, La Liga, Ligue 1, Manchester United F.C., Premier League, Real Madrid C.F., Soccer, UEFA Champions League, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday kickaround
Next: Jozy Altidore receives red card for head butt

Comments

ROMA!!!!

Posted by: torrey151 | April 23, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Forza Roma! Visca Barça! Let's go... Arsenal? (Can't support either Chelsea or Man Utd.)

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | April 23, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Lyon has no game this weekend and will play a Ribery-less Munich next week in home leg. Could be great.

Ribery is whack. Bad foul yesterday, no guarantee he can play the final even if the Krauts advance.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 23, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

SWITZERLAND SUPER LEAGUE
Basel 68 points, Young Boys 68
===============================

Please, no Massa jokes, OWNTF...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 23, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF, are you talking to yourself in the same post? Interesting.

Big United fan so I hope Stoke shock Chelsea on Sunday (Can't depend on Chelsea Liverpool game because Liverpool are going to roll over and die to make sure United doesn't break the English League Title of 18 Championships.)

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 23, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

record* is supposed to be inserted in that post.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 23, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Chelsea: The only team that makes me root for Man U.

Man City: A conglomeration that makes me root for Spurs (though I would take Villa over them).

Roma: By far the easiest team to admire in Serie A.

Real Madrid: Could there be a better foil for Barca?

The title races are fantastic this year.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 23, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"This weekend: Basel-Grasshopper"

No thanks, I prefer basil-tomatoes on my pizza.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 23, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

This weekend: Partizan-Metalac

=============================

So they play Enter Sandman before player intros, right?

Posted by: OWNTF | April 23, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Zahia D .... wow.

Posted by: nairbsod | April 23, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

sure. three years of watching benfica disappoint and the first season after I depart they win the league going away. perhaps I am a jinx. since I'm moving away from the dc area this summer, dcu might get it together for 2011.

Posted by: troy6 | April 23, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Troy, kind of serious question here since you seemed to have lived everywhere:

Are you a spy?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 23, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

You know United really started getting bad right around the time you moved back didn't they Troy? Sure, candy coat it all you want about how they'll pull themselves up out of the dumpster juice after you fly back off to paradise, but I'll believe it when I see it!

;)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 23, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: troy6 | April 23, 2010 2:19 PM
================

Well, they can't do much worse than they are now. I hope you're going someplace with good soccer.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 23, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 23, 2010 2:41 PM |
=================

I guess DC United will prove us wrong and score 2 own goals next week.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 23, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Jacob: I wish it were that exciting. Nah, I'm just one of those state department folks, so I move every couple years from country to country with the occasional few years in DC. Next stop is a place of which few people have ever heard...but it does have football and great scuba diving.

Posted by: troy6 | April 23, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 23, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Slow day so . . .

FWIW Drew Yates, local product and Terrapins standout, signed with the Tampa Bay Rowdies yesterday. If Goff posted it, I missed it.

Posted by: benonthehill | April 23, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and former United trialist.

Posted by: benonthehill | April 23, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

"This weekend: Basel-Grasshopper"

No thanks, I prefer basil-tomatoes on my pizza.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 23, 2010 2:04 PM

@ I-270, I prefer Roma tomatoes on mine.

Posted by: WorldCup | April 23, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

It's squeaky bum time.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 23, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Roma Roma Roma!

Posted by: billindmd | April 23, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF: Let's see, Bayern are the "Krauts" so that must make Lyon the "Frogs," right?
Are there any more perjorative monikers in your Thesaurus you would like to use?

Posted by: b18bolo | April 23, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I live in Spain and the winners will be:

Spain: Barcelona
Premier League: Chelsea (90%)
Italy: Inter Milan
Netherlands: Twente (surprise team)
Germany: Bayern Munich

The rest of the league, Steve, are not interesting! are minor leagues!

Posted by: noonan_17 | April 24, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Bradley with some great hustle to make a couple of passes that lead to a Gladbach goal to go up 1-0 on Bayern.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 24, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

France is minor league?

Posted by: nairbsod | April 24, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Don't mess with JOZY!:

from soccernet

With the referee about to blow the whistle for half-time, both sides were dramatically reduced to 10 men. Altidore and Hutton challenged for the ball near the byline, with the Sunderland defender then foolishly throwing the ball at the head of his opponent.

Altidore responded by headbutting Hutton, earning an immediate red card. With Sunderland boss Steve Bruce making his displeasure known at the Hull striker's challenge, referee Lee Probert waited for Hutton to receive treatment before, somewhat harshly, also giving the Scot his marching orders.

Posted by: delantero | April 24, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

nairbsod # The best leagues(2009):

1. Premier League (England)
2. Liga Española (Spain)
3. Bundesliga (Germany)
4. Serie A (Brazil)
5. Calcio (Italy)

Posted by: noonan_17 | April 24, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Red Bulls/PeeU on Telefutura right now. awesome looking stadium, anyone know where the RB's FO is putting sizable travel support?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 24, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Red Bulls play some good football. I am going to say they will win MLS this year. They have to top allocation pick and are committed to at least getting one more DP (if not 2 more). I would imagine after the World Cup a few USMNT veterans worth having will come home to.

I was really impressed with the level of play that half.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 24, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

as much as it hurts to admit it, you're right grubbs.

Fred is still worthless. I'm happy for Le Toux is making a name for himself. I expected him to flunk out of MLS in his first season, he's a hard worker and has to be a fan favorite in PHilly. Finding it easier to pull for the guy now that he's not wearing the martian barf green. :)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 24, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan.... It does suck. Sadly, LA, NYRB, and Seattle have all blown way past us in willingness to get big names. All while NE, Houston, and RSL have steadily improved their rosters with some good players.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 24, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I just tuned in to FSC. If I understand correctly, Nelsen scored for Blackburn against Wolves in the first half. (This is a delayed broadcast. If you want the final score, you can get it from a number of sources.)

Posted by: universityandpark | April 24, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

The Hull City game was pretty intense and Hutton knew what he was getting himself into when he threw the ball at Altidore (while he was still on the ground).

I know Jozy deserves a red card but in a game with that much intensity its hard to say many players wouldn't have done the same thing as Jozy did in response.

As for the Red Bulls game. They won that game on a fluke handball and more impressive than NY is a Philly team that is showing huge improvements every week. Moreno - Le Toux - Fred are becoming a very dangerous combo and some of the balls they were placing today could make Euro highlights. It could have easily been 3-1 Philly.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 24, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I was really impressed with the level of play that half.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 24, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I'll predict KC. Since they got rid of that awful coach they are starting to score goals and play some great attacking soccer (something they were missing the past few years). It's a solid team and they are looking good right now against the best team in MLS.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 24, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious no goal in KC

Posted by: sitruc | April 24, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe he argued with the ref.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 24, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Southeasterner. I like you pick to. KC do look very good. I pick NYRB because they have spending power and a top allocation pick. It wouldn't surprise me if Boca came home after this World Cup. He could slide right into left back and give Red Bulls the best backline in the league. They already have a good midfield, so imagine that with another DP.

Not to take anything away from KC. They have been a joy to watch this season. In fact, the quality of the league has been way up. Unfortunately, we have a FO living off glories of the past while the league passes us by.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 24, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

KC shut down Donovan, Buddle and Klein and created a lot of great chances for themselves.

The first half was pretty rough but the second half was one of the more exciting halves of MLS soccer I have seen in a while...despite the 0-0 score.

I'm convinced MLS Cup will be KC vs. LA...unless NY grabs some incredible DP's.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 24, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Is it my imagination or is the SI blog more European leagues oriented and less MLS oriented than in the past. I know DCU is down right now but I love MLS and have always turned to SI for my MLS fix but there just doesn't seem to be as much of it this year.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 24, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

there isn't a lot to say about the home team right about now crofton, and as the thread itself points out, a lot of contention in europe. IMHO UEFA CL has been on par if not under par in awesomeness, and the big picture is the World Cup. Goff's doing a great job, it's not his fault that DCU is blowing a three legged dog right now. Who needs more news on this train wreck anyway?

How about Emo's goal tonight? Mariano Trujillo(sp?) was awfully sharp as well. Chivas isn't great but they sure show a lot more creativity in their attack than lowly United.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 25, 2010 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I agree with DadRyan. Its a bit depressing watching the quality of play in MLS improve while DCU keeps finding ways of actually getting worse.

At least with a train wreck you know when its over, DCU keeps you thinking it can't get any worse....and then it does.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 25, 2010 5:15 AM | Report abuse

Why no full house at NYRB?

Posted by: lgm6986 | April 25, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

almost 48 hours without an update, I'm going through withdrawal!

Posted by: Pete803 | April 25, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

"Emo" LOL

Jozy needs to get a little more snap into that header if he wants it to be effective.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 25, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm not criticizing Goff at all and I agree with you guys for the most part. It was just disconcerting last night watching the MLS action and feeling no buzz here about it at all. Just look at the number of posts last night as compared to a few years ago. Vamos United!

Posted by: croftonpost | April 25, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

For those of you with the funds and the interest, Everton has a killer deal on jerseys on their website. You can get a blank shirt, name and number wise, for $16 before shipping. A Donovan one will run you about 35.

And yes, Dadryan, that includes the black one with the pink stripes.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 25, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse