USA soccer team unveils home jersey

At an event in Manhattan this morning, the USSF and Nike presented the national team's new/old home jersey, modeled after the 1950 World Cup uniform. To read more about it, click here. Opinions?

usauniform.jpg

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 29, 2010; 10:13 AM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team , USSF  | Tags: 1950 FIFA World Cup, Nike, U.S. national team, World Cup, soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Early Thursday kickaround
Next: Video: D.C. United's victory over FC Dallas

Comments

Looks nice enough but for my taste I prefer the bolder look of the Away colors.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | April 29, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Will they add "Miss America" to the diagonal sash?

Posted by: Wiggan | April 29, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I like both shirts... buying the away with #9 on the back. Roll on June 12th!

Posted by: Kev29 | April 29, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Away shirt > home shirt

I'm not a fan of the sash to begin with, but I think it looks poor on the home shirt while it is somewhat sufferable on the away shirt due to the contrast. Gray on white doesn't do it for me.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | April 29, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Pretty boring. The sash will be invisible in real life. Proportionally speaking, the Nike swoosh is by far the biggest thing on the shirt. I vote No.

Posted by: jack35 | April 29, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

where's the away shirt ya'll are talking about? it's not on the ussf site

Posted by: joe_hill | April 29, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

That kit will look a lot nicer if they advance past the group stage...

Posted by: ddd001 | April 29, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Not a big fan of the lack of color/contrast, but I like the thought of going retro with us playing England in June.

Posted by: futboler | April 29, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Will they add "Miss America" to the diagonal sash?

Posted by: Wiggan | April 29, 2010 10:24 AM

That's the rub - when American men see sashes they think Miss America and Girl Scouts. The rest of the world thinks River Plate.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 29, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

"Wednesday kickaround

I'm off to New York for two days to cover World Cup and U.S. soccer events. I'll have plenty to share."
--------------------------------------------------------

Seriously? You wrangled an expensed trip to New York to cover the "unveiling" of a jersey?

Mega-props to Se├▒or Goff and his powerful kung-fu mind-control. His editors probably have no idea....

I will resist the temptation to critique the design of a shirt.

Posted by: fischy | April 29, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

@joe_hill - the Away was unveiled around the start of March and the team wore it for the friendly in Amsterdam. It's the same design as above, except it's a dark navy blue shirt, red collar, and white sash with red trim. It's on the USSoccer.com web store for your viewing pleasure.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | April 29, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Like the away more, but I think the home will grow on me like the old white/silver kit did.

Curious if Nike is going to outfit the keepers with the strange spotted shirts that they're wearing in the South Africa FIFA10 game...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 29, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

ANNNDDDD the third jersey is RED with a NAVY sash. SHOCKING!

Anyway can we cut the beauty pageant jokes? #PLAYEDOUT #UNORIGINAL

Posted by: jdickinson187 | April 29, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

It's a shirt. Woo.

Posted by: Reignking | April 29, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

34-year-old Javi Venta is leaving Villarreal after 10 years with the club. I wouldn't be surprised to hear the right-back's name pop up for MLS, as he isn't retiring.

Posted by: Reignking | April 29, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

the third jersey is my favorite of the three.

I love the fact that ussf is giving props to the 1950 team. Now if only ussf can adopt a shirt for longer than the two year shirt cycle that manufacturers insist teams follow. The US needs a look that would be easily identifiable and that will cause our opponents to crap their pants. Argentina, Mexico and Italy have been very successful at keeping the look of their kits consistant through the years.

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | April 29, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I think the new jersey will look great ... if the USA advances out of Group C.

Posted by: Cerealman | April 29, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

My bad Timmy was already wearing the spotted thing in the friendly in Amsterdam...

@bonghits, you have seen the joke of a home shirt Italy are wearing haven't you?

As for that 3rd shirt, those are mock ups made by fans, I don't think they'll ever be produced.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 29, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Shoulda had a blue or navy slash, not gray.

Posted by: Juan-John1 | April 29, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I believe there is no third, red jersey. Any red versions you see are bogus.

Posted by: fischy | April 29, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Already have the blue one, and think it's much better than this one, mainly thanks to the contrast as others have noted. Also, the USA shield is much bigger than it looks in the photos.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 29, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

The 3rd jersey that a poster above linked is a photoshop pic that a user on BigSoccer HOPED would be released, and he based his hopes off the template of the home and away. There are no plans to release a 3rd kit. Having said that, I like both kits. I wish that the home white would have a red sash directly in line with what they wore in 1950, but I still like it.

Posted by: horace1 | April 29, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Would have liked to see some red & blue incorporated into the sash. I like the retro look - homage to the "1950 we beat England at the World Cup whilst in the southern hemisphere so let's do it again 60 years later" mantra.

Posted by: soccerman | April 29, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Also, the USA shield is much bigger than it looks in the photos.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 29, 2010 11:18 AM

This has been a problem with US shirts of late

Posted by: Kev29 | April 29, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I like it. Clean and elegant. I particularly like the navy collar.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | April 29, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

We still have the silly stars on the shield? Check

It looks a lot like the most recent versions of the shirt? Check

US supporters are still encouraged to wear red when the team plays at home? Check.

I won't be dropping tthe coin to buy this new joint.

My red Nats Uni with the frilly, swashbuckling looking collar from 96 or 97 won't be retired anytime soon.

Posted by: yankiboy | April 29, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

yankiboy:
I agree with you.... the crest needs to be re-done.

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | April 29, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Old school, like it. No one will confuse this one with a golf shirt, like some of the more recent ones.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 29, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I like the reflectors that are on the sleeves.

I'll be able to ride my bike at night in this shirt.

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | April 29, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I like the reflectors that are on the sleeves.

I'll be able to ride my bike at night in this shirt.

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | April 29, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I think they should stop encouraging the wearing of red. If any color is to be encouraged, it should be navy blue. [i]Particularly[/i] against England.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | April 29, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I'll be wearing anthracite at the send off in Philly. Anyone else get their tickets in the mail yet!?!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 29, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

A red jersey with blue sash and white trim would have been nicer. Or a white with blue sash and red trim.

Posted by: TMHarper | April 29, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I like the reflectors that are on the sleeves.

I'll be able to ride my bike at night in this shirt.

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 |

Dadryan approves.

Posted by: Reignking | April 29, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Not a fan of the all white unless the whole kit is white. I am fan of collared jerseys, it always adds a bit of class IMO.

I think the away is pretty sick and the third kit would be my favorite.

I have this one from a few years back when they first released the 50 team.

Posted by: UniteforDC | April 29, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I think the away is pretty sick and the third kit would be my favorite.

I have this one from a few years back when they first released the 50 team.

Posted by: UniteforDC | April 29, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Whats great about this jersey as well as other Nike jerseys at the WC. They will be made up of recycled material, specifically ~8 plastic bottles.

Nike +1 in my book..

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | April 29, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

We actually had a red kit with a diagonal sash a few years ago. Alas, we had it for one match and then auctioned them off for charity. Obviously, I have no problem with the charity portion of the story, but the jerseys didn't have to disappear forever.

Posted by: JohnnyPolo24 | April 29, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

It's not ugly. That, in itself, is a big improvement for USSF kits.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 29, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I think they're fine. Better than the ones for 2006, for sure. Couldn't stand the away kits with the red stripe around the chest, interrupted abruptly by the numbers. The three stars is, to me, a minor issue. I think it's understood that they're purely for design purposes.

As far as wearing red to matches, just because isn't our primary kit color doesn't mean we can't wear it. Look at Holland (fans wear all orange)

Posted by: carmines757 | April 29, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I like it quite a bit.

With all the beauty pageant jokes you'd think a soccer shirt never had a sash before. If the sash isn't a look you like that's cool, but come on...

I will say I've never understood the need to radically alter the USA shirt almost every other year (other than to sell shirts). I wish we could be like Brazil and some other countries and come up with a classic look that is instantly recognizable as the USA with just a few tweaks when doing updates.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | April 29, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Shoulda had a blue or navy slash, not gray.

Posted by: Juan-John1 | April 29, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

..or a red sash, like the actual 1950 jerseys...

Posted by: birdynumnum | April 29, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Will they add "Miss America" to the diagonal sash?

Posted by: Wiggan | April 29, 2010 10:24 AM

Posted by: Kev29 | April 29, 2010 10:33 AM |
Or Peru

Posted by: WillyJoel | April 29, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

So you are saying it will have "Miss River Plate" or "Miss Peru" on it?

Posted by: Wiggan | April 29, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow. looks like USMNT is really digging the Star Trek look.

Live long and prosper. or in the case of the world cup, "live through the first round and prosper."

Ugly

Posted by: UnitedinTx | April 29, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Fashion sells replica jerseys to the fans. Remember fans, you play to win the game! Hello?

Posted by: godfreycatblue | April 29, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Star Trek? I think you're confusing the USMNT's kits with Mexico http://img136.imageshack.us/i/mexico1012adidashomekit.jpg/

Posted by: carmines757 | April 29, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Sick kit and great to harken back to 1950, tradition is something US Soccer needs. Read up pageant-talk idiots...

Posted by: dahx4 | April 29, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: carmines757

What do you think Holland's primary color is? (Hint: Hup Oranje)

Posted by: spidergoose | April 30, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse