Video: Puma, World Cup and Gnarls Barkley

Puma gets us in the mood for the World Cup with this beautiful, African-oriented online ad filmed on location in Angola, Ghana and Ivory Coast and featuring the music of Gnarls Barkley. (Turn up the volume!)

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 14, 2010; 2:14 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Africa  | Tags: Angola, Côte d'Ivoire, FIFA World Cup, Ghana, Gnarls Barkley, Ivory Coast, Soccer, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup teams confront South Africa altitude
Next: Man City, AC Milan, Americans abroad, RFK

Comments

I predict one African team goes through to the semis...just can't decide which one yet.

Posted by: michanikos1 | April 14, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm always amazed how the African teams can play great one day and not the next. Some of the Countries involvement in the World Cup is like musical chairs. Egypt one day, Angola the next.

Still, it will be tougher for some of the African countries,

S. Africa (v Mexico, Uraguay, France) will not likely survive the group phase unless France implodes and Uraguay some how stumbles through a second match hangover (after beating the imploading French a few days earlier).

Nigeria (v Argentina, Greece, S. Korea) has a better shot going through, but Greece and S. Korea can be difficult teams to beat.

Algeria (v Slovania, England, USA) probably has the least likelihood of seeing the next round.

Ghana (v Serbia, Australia, Germany) is a toss up with Austrialia. Whoever wins that game will move through with Germany.

Ivory Coast (v Portugal, Brazil, N. Korea) will have to come up big against one of two powerhouses. Maybe they can sneak through with 4 points.

After that, anything can happen. It's the World Cup and crazy things like "Hands of God," Headbutts, and phantom fouls all like make cameo appearances!

Posted by: TCompton | April 14, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Love it!

Love the ESPN U2 ads as well!

Less than two months till the opening match!

Posted by: Kev29 | April 14, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

OT: I never thought I would say these words: I actually agree with something Jen Chang wrote. He has an article on the sports illustrated site about the nats' striker woes.

Posted by: troy6 | April 14, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Cameroon?

Maybe they could get out with Holland past Denmark and Japan? Still a tough group...

Posted by: CDRHoek | April 14, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I think maybe Ghana and Cameroon both make it out of their groups. Maybe one of them has a good day and wins their quarterfinal. Lots of maybes there.

Posted by: michanikos1 | April 14, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Broadway Danny Rose scores the best goal he'll ever make, 10 minutes into his EPL debut. Spurs 1-0 over Arsenal at half.

Posted by: fischy | April 14, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

That strike was a cruise missile fischy! The Placenta Kid just ntered the match...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 14, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Ghost ride the whip!

Posted by: HWLongfellow | April 14, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sbuck | April 14, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Soccer is escapism.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 14, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

"Hpw can we see an ad like that and still wage war? It makes me teary in my heart, because soccer is the HUMAN game!

Posted by: sbuck | April 14, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Soccer is escapism.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 14, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse "

Ohh. Tough one, you guys! I think you're both right. It really is a beautiful game that can inspire friendship and common ground between peoples (travel anywhere abroad and you can make friends quickly by bringing up soccer). But when I was in Brasil, some people complained that political and pop culture leaders were pushing futebol down the people's throats as a way to make them forget about poverty, crime and other real problems. I know I use it (and Soccer Insider) as an escape from my own troubles.

Posted by: WorldCup | April 14, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else feel like the ESPN ad with the Nelson Mandela look alike watching fellow inmates play some soccer in the yard, and the country pretty much riding that wave to end apartheid was a bit much?

Maybe I've just been on the Left Coast for too long but that spot bugged me.

Posted by: Mr_White | April 15, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse