WPS Matchday: Atlanta Beat vs. Freedom

Greetings from Maryland SoccerPlex, where I've just arrived after spending my Sunday out in Redskins Land.

The drive from Ashburn to Boyds was easy enough, but it doesn't look like too many other people have trekked to SoccerPlex in this chilly weather for the Freedom's second game this season. A quick count in the stands across from the press box came up with about 120 or so. Most are packed in the opposite side, but I don't know if the attendance will be very impressive at all.

We'll see how the Freedom look after a shaky performance last week in a 2-1 loss to Boston. Glancing over the lineup, it looks as though Coach Jim Gabarra might get away from the 4-2-3-1 formation he employed last week. I'm guessing it's more of a 4-4-1-1 this week, we'll see when they take the field.

Atlanta Beat (0-0-1) at Washington Freedom (0-1)
When: 7 p.m.
Where: Maryland SoccerPlex, Boyds

Freedom Lineup: McLeod; Moros, Whitehill, Marshall, Bompastor; Mykjaland, Long, Sawa, Sauerbrunn; De Vanna, Wambach.

UPDATE: The Freedom wins, 3-1, in front of the club's smallest home crowd in one-plus seasons in WPS. Read the match report here.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Paul Tenorio  |  April 18, 2010; 7:01 PM ET
Categories:  Freedom , Women  | Tags: Atlanta Beat, Jim Gabarra, Maryland SoccerPlex, Washington Freedom, Women's Professional Soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans abroad
Next: MLS weekend flashback

Comments

Paul: slap Joe Doc if he gets out of hand.

Can't be at the game, but watching Boston-Philly. Philly's away kit is a yellow jersey wth gray shorts. I'm guessing that a guy picked that color combo.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 18, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Most posts on this blogs get more responses than that attendance.

fischy! This is for you ;)
Soccer stars take the bus as European Champions League semis go ahead

Posted by: Reignking | April 18, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

The crowd filled in to at least 2,000 to 3,000 (my guess, no official attendance announced) though still the smallest crowd I have seen at a Freedom game at the Plex. Perhaps cold weather, little known opponent, and school/work night. But two gorgeous assists by Wambach on goals by Sawa and Welch, and Abby got her own goal on a strong free kick by Bompastor, for a 3-1 Freedom win.

Posted by: Jedi65 | April 18, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Great game. Girls looked good.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | April 18, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Suck on that, Atlantans, Atlanta-ishans, and Altantoids!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 18, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I didn't get out of hand, yet he slapped me anyway. Thanks, I-270.

An enjoyable game. For those of you who don't care too much for women's soccer, give the Freedom a one-game try at least. I think -- no, I know -- you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 18, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Goals two and three were sweet! Sawa's getting more confident on the attack, obviously. Lene looks like a great pickup. Moros was superb on D, great tackling and energy. As much as I miss watching Gilbeau and Singer, this could be an all-world, Galactico type defense.

ATL was gritty and mostly solid. Too many breakdowns on D but don't sleep on them.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 18, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey! That's ATLiens to you!

I do need to find out when Washington and Marta come to town. Hopefully after my prep athletics responsibilities are over.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 19, 2010 3:56 AM | Report abuse

Certainly a better display of soccer skills, teamwork and effort than currently on display at RFK. Perhaps at the double header on May 1, the "soccer public" can see for themselves.

UMD men's soccer defeated Akron 3-0 yesterday in College Park. It may be only spring, but well played by MD men.

Posted by: footballfan9 | April 19, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Hmm...being a transplant into Atlanta, I guess I am an "ATLien".

Posted by: Reignking | April 19, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: footballfan9 | April 19, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Having attended both the United and Freedom matches this weekend, I too can attest to the superior level of soccer at the Freedom game last night. People always say the women's game is slower, less skillful, etc., but completely objectively, as a long-time soccer (and United) fan, there was no comparison in the level of play or entertainment value of the matches. Say what you want about how bad DCU is this season (and I do), but it's not like Chicago was putting on a Barca-level display on Saturday night either. Go Freedom!

Posted by: JDougan_DC | April 19, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

As someone who is just now in the process of crawling back from Florida, I thank everyone who posted here and gave me a flavor of the match. (BTW, if you want to experience Icelandic cuisine without a surgical mask, try the Viking Lounge in Mount Dora.)

Posted by: universityandpark | April 20, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse