AC Milan's roster for D.C. United friendly

Two-time FIFA player of the year Ronaldinho, fellow Brazilian Alexandre Pato and Dutch veteran Clarence Seedorf were included on AC Milan's travel roster for the North American tour that includes friendlies against D.C. United on May 26 at RFK Stadium and the Chicago Fire four days later at Toyota Park.

Other notable players expected to play: defender Alessandro Nesta, midfielder Massimo Ambrosini and forward Filippo Inzaghi.

Ronaldinho was included on Brazil's 30-man preliminary roster and Dominic Adiyiah was selected by Ghana but neither is expected to make their respective World Cup squads. Last year, when Real Madrid visited Washington to play United, Cristiano Ronaldo was contractually obligated to play at least a half. I am guessing the same arrangement is in place for Ronaldinho.

Unavailable because of Italian national team/World Cup duty: Andrea Pirlo, Gennaro Gattuso, Gianluca Zambrotta and Marco Borriello. Also missing will be Dutch forward Klaas Jan Huntelaar and Brazil's Thiago Silva.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  May 13, 2010; 6:35 PM ET
Categories:  Brazil , D.C. United , Italy  | Tags: AC Milan, D.C. United, RFK Stadium, Ronaldinho, Soccer, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend soccer TV listings
Next: Friday kickaround

Comments

Don't seem to be a lot of buzz around this game or am I wrong?

Posted by: DCB23 | May 13, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I was there for Barca - AC Milan back in 2003(?) and Ronaldinho dazzled. Here's hoping he cares enough to put on as good of a show as he did that day.

At first I wasn't too thrilled about this, but I think I'm going to make this one afterall.

VAMOS!!

Posted by: tphasbdp | May 13, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

So Seedorf gets a chance to scout his future teammates/MLS opponents, plus boost his contract offer(s)? Sounds like a win-win for him.

Posted by: jason1551 | May 13, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Plenty of good seats available in Salt Lake

Posted by: Kev29 | May 13, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Plenty of good soccer in Rio Tinto tonight as well, at least by the home side.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 13, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Toyota... it made me think of our SI colleague, I-270, who gives us an update:

As always, well worth the read.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 13, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Findley put away a nice header about 3 minutes in but his performance the rest of the way indicates he will be watching the Cup from his couch. Not a huge surprise, I realize, but he really wasted some golden chances.

Posted by: dcarmy | May 13, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

I-270: I tried to leave a comment on your blog but I obviously lack the requsite computer savvy. In any event, this Army Chaplain is praying for you.

Posted by: dcarmy | May 13, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcarmy | May 13, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching WPL on CSN and just discovered there is a MMA event at the DC Armory Saturday night. I could so care less about MMA but does anybody out there know the typical crowd size this garbage attracts. I am worried about the parking impact this may have.

Posted by: croftonpost | May 13, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

270,

Although I have never been touched by it, I have seen both my mother and brother make miraculous recoveries from it. Hang in there. Thoughts and prayers.

Posted by: croftonpost | May 14, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

>>>
I could so care less about MMA but does anybody out there know the typical crowd size this garbage attracts. >>>>

Nice comment. You might not like it, but calling it garbage is a bit ignant.

Posted by: mizage | May 14, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Two human beings in an octagon savagely beating each other to a pulp. I'm sorry but IMO the shoe fits. Some people may think that is entertainment but I never will.

Posted by: croftonpost | May 14, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | May 14, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

To each his own . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | May 14, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Saborio of RSL = Real deal

Ching > Findley

Attendance for MSL GoW = 13,000; attendance for D2 Palace B'more upset at Portland Timbers = 9,000

Posted by: OWNTF | May 14, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

MMA = Garbage...tru dat

Posted by: boricuabopper | May 14, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

My neighbor is ex-Special Forces and an MMA Jiu Jitsu fighter. I am extremely polite and complimentary about the sport when chatting with him.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 14, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

270

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 14, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 14, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

We'll see how Gooch fits into the scheme of the squad.

Posted by: juke2 | May 14, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

MMA is the new boxing. Like it or not it's here to stay. Probably better off showing some healthy respect for the fighters and the fanaticos.

BJ Penn 4 Eva brah!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 14, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Watching how the season has unfolded so far, I was kind of hoping DCU wouldn't play any elite teams this year. I don't like watching DC play without any realistic hope of getting results. Last year I went to the DC vs. Madrid game (everyone kind of knew it wouldn't be a repeat of the tie in Seatle) and heard it from Mexican team fans about DC not even scoring. America played well in that world club challenge they were in and Chivas tied Barcelona in their friendly. Seems whenever Mexican teams play elite teams they always at least have hope of an upset or good result. MLS teams lately just have hope that they don't lose badly. Only MLS teams doing well should have a crack at those elite teams. Just my thoughs.:)

Posted by: dcurob | May 14, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse