Are you going to the World Cup?

We'll kick things off today with a simple poll question: Are you going to the World Cup? If so, lucky you. And if so, check out the Travel section's story on Johannesburg and a look at the best places to stay and eat.

HT to Soccer Insider reader Seon for the idea for this post.

By Matt Bonesteel  |  May 24, 2010; 8:52 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS weekend flashback
Next: Monday kickaround

Comments

I sacrificed a lot, but I will be there! Haven't missed one yet (since 94).

Posted by: alan19 | May 24, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

My wife and I considered it, but I backed out b/c it looked like a CF from a housing and transportation view. Also, the wife realized it wouldn't be summer.

Posted by: Reignking | May 24, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Sack O' Cash...

Posted by: JkR- | May 24, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

@Reignking - similar story. Tried to convince my wife that SA would be the perfect destination for an anniversary trip...you know - safaris, beaches, exotic locale. Then she figured out 1) it was winter and 2) the WC was being played there. And it was WAAAY more expensive than a cruise.

Posted by: soccerman | May 24, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

No. But my single engineer brother is.
Just like the last time.

And he will probably hit me up for a ride to the airport. Just like last time.

And a ride when he returns.
Just like last time.

And his plane will probably be delayed 3 or 4 hours due to bad weather or something else beyond his control and I will be sleeping in my car in Crystal City until 3:30am after sclepping from Laurel.

Just like last time.

Does that county for anything???

"No!?!?!"

(I didn't think so).

Posted by: yankiboy | May 24, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Going to Madrid and Barcelona to watch the first week in a European atmosphere.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm assuming all bars are "soccer bars". :-)

Posted by: EssEff | May 24, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

LOL. yankiboy.

I'd go if I stumbled upon some mega bucks, and depending on the size of the bucks I'd probably do more.

If I stumble upon an Abramovich size Bag 'O Cash, I'd go and take Chang and his circle of merry FUps (I meant FO) and hope to iron out a deal which would have me owning our team by the end of the tourney.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 24, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

@yaniboy - does he at least bring you a T-shirt?

Posted by: soccerman | May 24, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Santos really pulled defeat from the jaws of victory in the Mexican Final yesterday. They were ahead 3-1 in the penalty kick tiebreaker before missing 3 consecutive spotkicks and allowing Toluca to win it in the 6th round.

The game was scoreless but pretty entertaining during the first 90 minutes. Plenty of attacking soccer but both keepers - Alfredo Talavera for Toluca and Osvaldo Sanchez for Santos - came up big several times to stop difficult shots. The 30-minute overtime was a different matter, both teams were exhausted and played defensively to avoid mistakes.

Bring back the golden goal!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 24, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

went to Germany in 2006 but came to the same conclusion as Reignking; between the hotel and the transportation issues, this is going to be a massive headache for people travelling. Brazil seems only slightly less of a mess.

Posted by: joe_hill | May 24, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Going to Madrid and Barcelona to watch the first week in a European atmosphere.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm assuming all bars are "soccer bars". :-)

Posted by: EssEff

Exactly...my only recommendation is that Barcelona is awesome, Madrid not as much. I was in France during the last world cup and happened to spend my last day there in Paris on the World Cup final.

Posted by: Reignking | May 24, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

And enjoy the euro right now!

Posted by: Reignking | May 24, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

@yankiboy - does he at least bring you a T-shirt?

Posted by: soccerman | May 24, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Leaving June 9th!

Posted by: sec204 | May 24, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I found Madrid to be pretty awesome.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 24, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I wish I had had a car in Madrid -- it's really a huge city that's hard to get to know, especially since you are traveling underground so much.

FYI if you did want a rental car in Madrid, look into pepecar. Super cheap.

Posted by: Reignking | May 24, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@yaniboy - does he at least bring you a T-shirt?

Posted by: soccerman
-------------------------------------------
Yeah. He gets me a cap & a shirt. he gets my wife something. When he got back from Germany he gave my preschooler a cute little Austrian bear futballer keychain that yodles when you pull the chord.

He always does remember to bring back a souvenier.

Which is cool.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 24, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Our amigos madrileƱos took us around, so we didn't really need maps, guides, cars, hotels.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 24, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

If anyone has found last-minute less expensive airfare to SA, please post here. Thank you!

Posted by: lasoccer | May 24, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that the number of people in this survey who say 'no' is roughly the same as the people who would go if they found a big sack of cash.

No for me -- even if I did find a big sack of cash.

Posted by: iyutepo | May 24, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 24, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Heading out June 25th, catching a first round, QF, and Semi game. Will be expensive but well worth it.

Posted by: skopiak | May 24, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse