Bob Bradley discusses World Cup roster

U.S. World Cup Coach Bob Bradley , commenting on .....

Brian Ching, who did not make the cut: "It was extremely hard with the respect that we all have for Brian. As a person, for the way he plays on the field, his commitment to the team--it's always hard whenever you make these types of decisions, but it's particularly difficult when it's a player that has contributed so much to the national team over the years."

Robbie Findley, who did make it: "Robbie still brings something special, especially as a reserve. His speed when he comes into a match, his willingness to try and run behind a defense; we felt that those are things that when we looked at everything our team had, we could still use some of those qualities."

More about Findley and the forwards.....

"Robbie was a player that we discussed late last night. We made the decision that we needed to see the other players, and we only had six subs last night. We felt that we had a good feel for where Robbie was after the earlier games this year, including most recently Holland. So, that's how we handled that part of it."

"What he's shown is that his movement along the front line is good, his speed, his ability to try to get behind the defense. Now in those situations he needs the ability to make those count a little bit more. Part of that is confidence, and now when he gives himself a little advantage, he needs to be the type of player that defenders worry about and who can ultimately take his chances and start to make a little more happen in those moments."

Bradley also said that, in choosing Edson Buddle and Herculez Gomez and leaving Ching out, Ching's hamstring injury and recovery this spring was a factor: "Plain and simple, Edson and Herculez have had real good stretches, scored a lot of goals. Brian has been such an important player but it's tough when you have an injury at an inopportune time."

By Steve Goff  |  May 26, 2010; 4:18 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Bob Bradley, Brian Ching, Edson Buddle, Herculez Gomez, Robbie Findley, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: U.S. soccer poll: Do you agree with the Findley selection?
Next: Matchnight: D.C. United-AC Milan

Comments

Done and dusted, moving on.

U-S-A!

Posted by: OWNTF | May 26, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

From a chat with Boca at ESPN:

Josh (Ohio)

What forwards have been the most impressive in camp so far? How have Gomez and Buddle looked?

Carlos Bocanegra (11:10 AM)

They've all looked really good. They're hungry, working hard, scoring goals. All of the forwards up top, they've been doing well in training and making our lives difficult as defenders. I'm hoping that Finley will be one of the surprises of the tournament. I think he's got something special to take guys on one on one.

I'm an RSL fan and know Robbie Finley... a real class guy and will help the USA more than folks are giving him credit for...a hard worker with speed to kill who can make a difference late in a game...just my two cents worth...I'm really happy to see him on the team...my daughter and I cheered when we heard it...and we both love Chingy...as Bob said a tough decision...

Posted by: Shark21 | May 26, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm done thinking about the forwards. Our issues in defense are much greater.

Posted by: david93 | May 26, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Did Bradley make any comments about Onweyu?
He's very good when fit but he looked miles away from fit last night. Hope I'm wrong, but it's hard to imagine him making enough progress in the next two weeks to risk in SA.
Sentiment didn't seem to get in the way of the Ching decision. Wonder if it might have clouded the Onweyu one.

Posted by: Gwither | May 26, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you OWNTF. Where is everyone watching locally? Dupont? Fado? Lucky Bar? Goff's house? Tenorio's?

I am definitely going to be "sick" alot this summer.

CAN'T WAIT!

Posted by: UniteforDC | May 26, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

"Robbie was a player that we discussed late last night."

Sometimes these decisions are better left for the morning.

Posted by: delantero | May 26, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

===

Two questions:
Who do you rate as the best center back left off of the roster?
Do you think that person is better than Gooch as of now?

Posted by: mason08 | May 26, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness we are fielding a great team.

Posted by: FatSickBoot | May 26, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I thought we were in a cycle of a good World Cup every eight years but I don't know about this one ...

Posted by: GeneWells | May 26, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Two questions:
Who do you rate as the best center back left off of the roster?
Do you think that person is better than Gooch as of now?
====
Your point about the dearth of good center back options is well taken. To answer your question, I suppose Marshall would be the answer. Based on last night, I'd say a fit Marshall would be preferable over an unfit Onweyu.
I'm guessing I wasn't the only one who was surprised to see Onweyu's level.
I hope I'm wrong and Onweyu makes huge strides in the next two weeks. But I can't see it happening based on the way he moved and jumped last night.
It will be interesting to see how he looks vs. Turkey.

Posted by: Gwither | May 26, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm done thinking about the forwards. Our issues in defense are much greater.

True dat. Ching vs Findley is not going to make or break this Cup. Whether we can find a competent back four just might.

Posted by: BooThisMan | May 26, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

david, I agree. I think we're in trouble.

Posted by: Reignking | May 26, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

This is possibly the fastest USMNT ever and while there is a whole lot of "the sky is falling" talk bandied about out there I am betting that our opponents will take tis team very seriously. I like our chances in this group.

The D is a bit of an issue but our guys are getting healthier and trust me, we're not the only team struggling for titness. Bob has the tools and he'll figure out the starters as they get close to go time.

USA all the way, baby. Party at the Linc? You bet'cha baby, be there or be square.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 26, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

* LOL, you see I meant to say FITness. Pardon me.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 26, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Don't sweat it, Kosh2. I know that struggle well. ;-)

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | May 26, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I like our chances in this group.
=============

So do Ladbroke's, USA 4/1 to advance

Posted by: OWNTF | May 26, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Party at the Linc? Yesssirrr....!

Hope everyone on the board can make their way up to Philly on Sat. And don't forget to bring your vocal cords! Atmosphere in Connecticut was a little quiet for 36,000...

Posted by: rademaar | May 26, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing I wasn't the only one who was surprised to see Onweyu's level.

===
I saw it more as a "rust" issue. I will concede that it is difficult to tell the difference. To my eye, he seemed to move like he did before, but he seemed to be chasing the game a bit more. He's pretty much always been a, um, "Teutonic" player, and has always been at his best when able to anticipate the flow. When he puts himself in the right pace, he can use his physicality to his advantage. That anticipation seemed to be lacking, and it allowed things to happen like the goal where the Czech "outjumped" him*.

*Look at the Czech's hands on that play. Very cagey, and very effective.

Posted by: mason08 | May 26, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Apropos of the mr14sunshine comment two threads back about Gooch's supposed lack of "impassioned presence" and "intensity": I don't know about anybody else, but what I want out of a center back isn't drama but a cool-headed, precise lethality and calm under pressure. A little more Rio Ferdinand and less Facundo Erpen, if you know what I mean. That's Gooch when he's in form, no?

Posted by: dccal | May 26, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

can we get Erpen back? I miss the, er, excitement he brought. He'd be a good combo with Crayton. But I digress. Nats team is looking fine. No issues with the strikers. Hope the D gets up to par.

Posted by: nairbsod | May 26, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

The most under-reported story after last night's goalkeeping "exhibition" is that BB tried to replace Guzan with Zach Wells. Fortunately Zach is well hidden in the witness protection program.

Posted by: dcarmy | May 26, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

As it so happens, I'll be in Philly this weekend, but can't make the game.

Posted by: Reignking | May 26, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm in Maryland tonight and won;t make the game.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 26, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse