Calling all supporters heading to South Africa!

Starting next week, while colleague Liz Clarke and I are getting settled in Johannesburg, The Post will begin introducing an array of special World Cup pages, features and platforms on our Web site, including our newest reader-driven project.

Post staffers Tim Ball and Matt Brooks will attend the tournament as fans and chronicle their adventures and experiences on this new site. We are also looking for Insider loyalists heading to South Africa to join the fun. You'll have the opportunity to share your experiences and photos, as well as start conversations with other fans.

Although our full presentation won't go into full effect into next week, you can get started right away by passing along your name, age, city, e-mail address and why you decided to attend the Cup to wapocup@gmail.com

Just want the option to send in a picture? We're using Posterous, a site that allows for posting via e-mail. Send your photo to post@wapocup.posterous.com. Your e-mail subject line will become the headline and any text after the photo will serve as the caption. Shortly, your post will appear at wapocup.posterous.com

Spread the word and enjoy your odyssey!

By Steve Goff  |  May 28, 2010; 12:46 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Africa  | Tags: South Africa, U.S. supporters, Washington Post, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup video: Teams arrive in South Africa
Next: D.C. United news & notes

Comments

Great idea. I'm looking forward to following this.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 28, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I would go, but the hooligans, armed robbery, and killer mosquitoes put me off.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 28, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Top notch as usual Steve. Thank you. Sharing all this with friends on facebook too btw.
Cheers!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 28, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I will be there, but does anyone know how wifi, internet and cell service is down there? Should be ok right? Has anyone used AT&T down there? Are the roaming rates horrible on their system horrible?

Posted by: alan19 | May 28, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I know Washington Post sports reporter Camille Powell is a soccer fan and very knowledgeable about the game. Will she be helping cover the cup? I hope so!

Posted by: WorldCup | May 28, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I will not be there. For better or worse, I am "job locked," and not free to explore my true self.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 28, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

sounds like fun.

I have not yet received by Official Ticket Confirmation in the mail. Have others? Was supposed to arrive by the end of May....

Posted by: DCUSince96 | May 28, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

i love how the first post on this blog for fans / supporters is by some american guy who's a "fan" of his "adopted" italian national team.

Posted by: stairs | May 28, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________________

When I read this, my first reaction was that it might be Giuseppe Rossi who is blogging.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 28, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Alan19, cell coverage very good, roaming almost certainly outrageously expensive (but should be on AT&T's web site). If your phone is unlocked, consider buying a local prepaid SIM card while you are there if your usage will be anything but minimal. Wifi - it depends - can be good, some hotels charge quite high rates. Have fun, wish I was going - I used to go regularly on business and you certainly need to be careful, but I liked it for the most part.

Posted by: assocfoot | May 28, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

@yankiboy (OT, and from a couple threads ago): Thanks. And I meant to post a couple days ago that if Robbie Findley scores the game-winning goal against England, Mrs. Dccal and I will ADOPT a baby and name him or her "Yanki Findley Boy Dccal."

Posted by: dccal | May 28, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks assocfoot.

Posted by: alan19 | May 28, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Hi, I live in Johannesburg, South Africa. A few comments.
If you have an unlocked phone, you can buy a local prepaid sim card for about 15 US cents.
You could buy a cheap phone with prepaid sim card for about $30.
As a world cup tourist you should avoid buying things at the airport or other tourists centers. You will be ripped off.
There are no killer mosquitoes in any of the soccer destinations, and in fact South Africa is now almost malaria free except for some areas in Summer. This is winter, so there is no malaria. In fact most of South Africa has never had malaria.
I have lived here my whole life and have never been mugged, but that does not mean that you shouldn't be smart and take care.
If you are heading to SOuth Africa for the world cup, I know that Net 10, a prepaid cellular service in the US has a n overseas calling rate of 15 c a minute, so your friends can reach you cheaply while you are here.

Posted by: allhew70 | May 29, 2010 2:54 AM | Report abuse

No worries allhew70. You should know that the malaria thing is sarcastic writing from Mrs. Insider.

On the other hand, half of the continent's prostitutes are heading to South Africa and the incidence of HIV infection is extremely high.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 29, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse