Davies' anger, Quaranta's health, Wambach's nose

*U.S. forward Charlie Davies is upset with his French club, Sochaux, for not clearing him to join the national team for World Cup training camp.

Considering the months of intensive rehabilitation that he endured to position himself for a return to international play, his frustration and disappointment are understandable. Fueled by Davies' ultra-positive comments and breathless media reports, expectations soared. All along, however, the USSF's position was fairly consistent: His injuries were so unique, there was no way of setting a timeline or predicting how his body would recover.

If the American coaching staff truly believed he was fit enough to compete for a roster spot, it would have forced the issue with Sochaux. After monitoring Davies' situation closely and conducting its own medical evaluations in France as recently as one to two weeks ago, it chose not to pursue it.

*In Sweden, U.S. midfielder Alejandro Bedoya is in the starting lineup, on the right side, for Orebro at Goteborg today.

*D.C. United midfielder Santino Quaranta has been released from Virginia Hospital Center after a week of treatment for a severe staph infection. He will be sidelined at least two weeks.

*Washington Freedom forward Abby Wambach suffered a broken nose in last weekend's WPS match with the Boston Breakers, jeopardizing her availability for Sunday's game at Atlanta and the May 22 friendly between the top-ranked United States and No. 2 Germany in Cleveland. Freedom officials expect to have a specific prognosis later today.

By Steve Goff  |  May 13, 2010; 1:25 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Americans Abroad , D.C. United , France , Freedom , U.S. men's national team , Women  | Tags: Charlie Davies, D.C. United, MLS, Santino Quaranta, U.S. national soccer team, Washington Freedom, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday kickaround
Next: Weekend soccer TV listings

Comments

I feel bad for Davies, and I was generally disappointed that he was not included on the 30-man roster.

But he truly has no right being upset with his club team about this.

Davies made the decision to break curfew that night of the crash. He alone. Not Sochaux, not Bradley. So he has to deal with the consequences of that decision. He can be hurt, he can be upset, he can be disappointed.

But putting the blame on the club for something that resulted from his actions is just plain immature.

Posted by: isaac101 | May 13, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Breaker? I barely knew her!

Posted by: Reignking | May 13, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Slap a Brian Kamler, Phantom of the Opera, mask on Abby and turn her loose. We Gators are a tough bunch. We have live alligators on campus (really, in Lake Alice). We have to fight them off just to get to classes (not really, they stay in the lake).

Not to worried about the Germany friendly. We seemed to play pretty well at the Olympics without Abby.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 13, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

This whole "he broke curfew, he has to pay for it" attitude from a lot of people is such BS, and needs to stop. Aren't the injuries and mental trauma he suffered enough? I seriously doubt anybody in the USSF is holding his decision to break curfew against him for the provisional 30-man roster. His club didn't clear him medically and has been leaking odd statements about him not being ready for the World Cup without getting Charlie's thoughts, which shows that they want him ready for next season and not to let the World Cup jeopardize that. I'd really like to see the anger being aimed at Bob Bradley for not putting him on the 30-man roster subsided because he was put in a situation where he couldn't do anything because the club that pays Davies' salary said no. Not because he is being penalized for breaking curfew 7 months ago or any of that nonsense.

Posted by: ZidVicious | May 13, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Charlie Davies, don't go there--you're close to giving up a lot of sympathy, in exchange for blame and a bad reputation.

Don't be that player. Or you'll make me say that Hope Solo would have recovered in time.

Posted by: hungrypug | May 13, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

-------

Really? Last I checked, the World Cup was a billion times bigger than Sochaux is. Comparing this to what Hope Solo said is way off base. Sorry to be combative here, I'm just tired of it

Posted by: ZidVicious | May 13, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

@ZidVicious:

I think you need to check out the statement on the Davies coverage from the Writers Union of Soccer Scribes:

Posted by: EdTheRed | May 13, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I walked past Abby after the game and it certainly appeared her nose was broken (I've broken mine twice, and I remember the look). The cotton sticking out of her nostrils was a nice touch.

She is so competitive, though, I'd have to think she'll come up with a way to play. She told me she "hates" coming off the field under any circumstances, and she wasn't kidding. Perhaps the Kamler face mask will appear.

@I-270: I often had tater tots served with lunch in high school. Do they serve Gator Tots at U of F?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 13, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

He feels let down by his club? huh? I think he most have been mis quoted. He must have really said "I let my club and country down." Right?

His violation of team rules and maybe his club contract led to his injuries. He is not owed or entitled to a spot on either team.

I for one think we will miss his play in the WC, however as a fan I only blame him for this not his club. I look forward to his play in the next WC.

Posted by: Keith_in_Charlotte | May 13, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

gee, Charlie, were you angry when they gave you millions of euros too? this type of situation is exactly why FIFA both requires clubs to release fit players for international duty and allows clubs to hold onto players that aren't physically fit. Charlie rushing back -- admirably, in my opinion -- for the WC might set back his development by a year. why should Sochaux have to pay for that?

when a player gets injured during international duty, that is too bad for the club (see Gooch's situation the same week). but clubs shouldn't have to send someone out who isn't fit and watch them get hurt even worse.

and I'd bet Wambach plays. she is tough.

Posted by: troy6 | May 13, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I caught the end of that Freedom game on TV and saw Abby get hit in the face. They then showed a lot of blood coming out of her nose. I immediately knew it was broken without even looking at it. My son broke his nose once and the amount of blood that came out was astonishing! Let's hope she gets well soon.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | May 13, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

@Rand-al-Thor: No gator tots, but you can get gator tail at various restaurants off campus. One that comes to mind is The Yearling, named after the Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings book. Both the book and the restaurat are located in Cross Creek, which is full of gators.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 13, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

It is easy to understand both Davies' emotions and Sochaux's position. His injury, off the field while presumably on NT duty, was harmful to them also. I don't think Davies is risking too much goodwill, because he did re-affirm his commitment to the club.

There are a few, I'm sure, who are only too glad to see the Davies matter drawing attention, because compared to some other WC roster exclusions, it's a bugfart.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 13, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like they ought to re-name it "We Dare You to Cross Creek."

"There's a gator in the bushes
He's calling my name
And he's sayin'
Come on, boy, you'd better make it back home again..."

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 13, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Sochaux announced long ago (March?) that Charlie wouldn't play the rest of the season, which certainly seemed sensible at the time and boded well for the future of the team and for Charlie. I guess Charlie thought his recovery was so exceptional that Sochaux should change their mind. Frankly, while disappointed and anxious about our performance in SA without Charlie, I believe it was the right decision, and it will pay off for them next season and for Charlie and the USMNT in 2014.

Posted by: b18bolo | May 13, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Dude, I thought MLS Rumors Rumors had gone dormant... Thanks for redirecting me back to the funny. I'll have to catch up!

The only thing I find strange about the Davies story is that the guy writing the letters, etc. apparently hasn't met with Charlie since the accident? WTF is up with that? That is all.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 13, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Quaranta is improving and is out of the hospital. Infections are serious business.

I say give Davies a pass. His disappointment is understandable given how hard he has worked, and given his youth. What's done is done, whether it be the mistakes he made, or the decisions his club and the USMNT have made. Time to move on.

Posted by: Ron16 | May 13, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I honestly don't feel like my hate and anger towards Bradley has completely subsided. I hate his decision, but I am not in control and all my ranting won't change a thing. I feel for Davies because he put in a lot of hard work and pain in to get ready for something he feels like he is ready for. I think he should be the expert about how his body is handling the rehab process and Bradley's decision should have been more based on Charlie's assessment than his club team. I really think Sochaux was looking out for themself in this case and that is a shame.

Posted by: no_recess | May 13, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

No one is holding the decision to break curfew against Davies. It is the fact that he broke curfew that put him in this position in the first place. He is lucky that he probably will continue with his career, WC or not. He is very lucky to still have his life, which for on unfortunate passenger in that vehicle is no longer the case. He is not owed anything. And if he is upset with anyone, it should be with himself. If the WC was that important to him, he would have been in his own hotel bed that night.

Posted by: Verrazzano | May 13, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Davies is understandably upset; however, he has not played competitively since the accident and isn't 100% by his own admission. Besides, this all could've been avoided if he were a bit more responsible and not out and about in the early morning hours doing who knows what a couple days before a WC qualifyer. Discipline and focus would've served him well. That's why youth is wasted on the young.

Charlie is lucky to be alive, and the if he gets back to his form the USNT will be lucky to have him. But he needs to look at the great fortune in front of him that he's alive and will be able to play again. Chalk it up to bad choices, unfortunate circumstances and setting a personal goal to return.

Posted by: Stabaek_Kofie | May 13, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: isaac101
____________________________

Bingo.

Posted by: Stabaek_Kofie | May 13, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@Keith_in_Charlotte

So you blame him for his club not releasing him? Is that what you are saying? That makes no sense. Yes he is totally at fault for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I think he earned the opportunity to make the 30 man roster if he is healthy enough and according to the man himself he is healthy.

Posted by: no_recess | May 13, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

"I honestly don't feel like my hate and anger towards Bradley has completely subsided."
=======

Hate and anger, norecess? Really? Disappointment... frustration, those make sense. Hate and anger? Not so much.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 13, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I find it rather ironic that everyone's opinion about Davies has become so pragmatic several months removed from the accident and realizing that he will not he will not be a part of World Cup 2010. I guess hindsight is truely 20/20.

Posted by: no_recess | May 13, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

As long as Charlie doesn't have "deaf freats," like Becks after his WC red card.

Posted by: dccal | May 13, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@Rand-al-Thor

So now it's up to you tell me what feelings of mine make sense. Just take it as a difference of opinion and move on. I don't need the motherly advice.

Posted by: no_recess | May 13, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

@Rand-al-Thor

By hate and anger I do not mean that I want to hurt Bradley in anyway. I mean that I could do without him as the coach of the national team. Thanks for the kind motherly words of wisdom.

Posted by: no_recess | May 13, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@no_reccess: According to his club, he isn't healthy. According to the man, he is training buut he isn't exactly "healthy". He hopes to be 100% by the time that the US kicks off with England.

Bro, I gotta just agree to disagree with you on this one. I don't see where Charlie has "earned" anything the opportunity to make the 30 man roster if he is deemed as not being healthy enough to contribute.

He has earnede my admiration for his determination and committment to trying to recover--he's got that.

I wish him all the best and like some others here and a lot of other places have posted, I look forward to seeing him healthy, resuming his career and hopefully one day wearing US colors while representing our country again.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 13, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

For the second straight year they are scheduling unnecessary friendlies in the middle of WPS' season. They could at least play the match at midweek (although Disney may have something to do with the weekend slot).

This may be our only chance to see Krieger in action anytime soon. (I wonder whether she lived in Boalsburg.)

Posted by: universityandpark | May 13, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: no_recess

I really don't know what you mean.

We've been presented with new facts.

BB would love to have Davies on the team. There's no conspiracy.

Posted by: Reignking | May 13, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

@yankiboy

I don't blame Sochaux here either (though the issue with Lacombe not even talking CD9 since the accident is strange) - they've had to pay for a damaged asset now for 7 months - what happens if CD9 goes to camp and has a huge setback?

Posted by: VTUnited | May 13, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

(I wonder whether she lived in Boalsburg.)

Posted by: universityandpark | May 13, 2010 3:25 PM |

This Boalsburg native says "whut?"

(Why do you ask that?)

Posted by: JkR- | May 13, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

from today's WashPost (dead tree edition):

D.C. United forward Adam Cristman understands [the fear of yoga in front of women]. When he was in college, he wanted to try yoga. "But I didn't want to go to a class because I thought it would be all girls," he says. Instead, Cristman found a video online, and in time, his core muscles improved, as did his balance.

End excerpt.

So...Cristman is afraid of girls? Crowds of limber women is what got me INTO a yoga class.

Posted by: troy6 | May 13, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

No_recess ?

So you think Bradley (who I am not a big fan of) knows that Davies is healthy and just wants to punish him by leaving him off the roster? A player he included on roster and lineup prior, but now with WC he's just sticking it to him?

NO! The reason he is not going is that he is hurt. At whatever % he is, he is not as good an option at others.

The last time any of us saw him play he was healthy, that's what we think about.

Bradley has had a chance to learn his current state and made his pick based on that.

Posted by: Keith_in_Charlotte | May 13, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

This Boalsburg native says "whut?"

(Why do you ask that?)

Posted by: JkR- | May 13, 2010 3:38 PM
________________________________________

The same reason I would ask it about the Freedom's Erin McLeod and Allie Long, FC Dallas' Jason Yeisley, and others.

I could also ask whether Krieger is related to the musician who was featured in a documentary that was shown on many PBS stations last night.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 13, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Nah, Christman didn't want to get his balls busted by other guys.

Posted by: Reignking | May 13, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Ahh....

I'll take "Famous soccer people who dwelled in Happy Valley" for $200, Alex...

Posted by: JkR- | May 13, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm in with those who noted that Davies' irresponsibility led to the situation he now complains of. What I really don't get are those who argue that Davies says he's OK, so that should be enough to put him on the roster. Any competitive athlete will say they're "ready" to go. I'm sure if you asked Tino before his hospitalization, he would have said "lance the d*** thing so I can play Saturday, I'm fine." If that course had been followed, Tino might be dead today.

Posted by: griffin1108 | May 13, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

you'd think that yoga might make you run a little faster. maybe not.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 13, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

@Rand-al-Thor

Posted by: no_recess | May 13, 2010 3:16 PM
===========================================

Happy to help!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 13, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

@Stabaek_Kofie: Excellent post!

Posted by: DCUSince96 | May 13, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

@griffin: "Any competitive athlete will say they're "ready" to go."

Say whaaaat?!?! Are you trying to say that Albert Haynesworth is not a competetive athlete??? :)

Posted by: yankiboy | May 13, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand all the people calling for Bradley's head because he didn't choose Davies. Personally, I had high hope that CD would make the squad, but if he's not fit he's not fit. It's amazing that he has even come close to being fit enough to go to Princeton. But BB has to make decisions with his head and not his heart. No matter how hard Charlie has worked, spots must go to the players who give us the best chance to win. And based on the experts' opinions (BB, Sochaux, even CD admitted that he's not fully healthy), Davies was not one of the top 30 players at this time. If the WC were in September I'm guessing this would be different. But to blame Bradley for not including a player who is not fit and hasn't played a meaningful match in more than 6 months is silly. These are probably the same people who kept calling for BB's head when he continued to play his son because "he's only on the team because he's the coaches son."

Remember, despite what people say about Bradley and how stubborn he can be with his roster selections, he is the coach who led us to the top qualifying spot in CONCACAF and the only American coach to ever lead his team to the final of a FIFA event. While I may sometimes disagree with minute aspects of Bradley's managing, overall I think it's tough to argue with his results. Imagine if CD had been invited to camp and gotten hurt. What would people be saying then?

Posted by: CYork1 | May 13, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

OK, if the guy's not fit, he's not fit. (I have questions about Bradley's judgment generally, mostly because his team selection decisions are consistently so poor, but I don't get to make that call.)

That said, the stuff Bradley is saying about leaving Davies out just logically makes no sense.

In an interview with ESPN, Bradley clearly said (1) Davies was in contention for selection until the very day of selection and (2) Sochaux wouldn't give Davies "a full release to join the camp" (Davies also stated that this was offered by Bradley to him as a reason for his non-selection).

I'm afraid #1 doesn't make any sense at all. If the guy isn't fit for selection on Monday, he's not going to be magically fit for selection on Tuesday. Maybe Bradley's just trying to make his player feel better, but he clearly was not being honest on this. I was very surprised (OK, maybe not) that neither of the ESPN "reporters" asked him a single follow-up question on this nonsensical assertion.

As far as #2 goes, I'd have thought that the FIFA rules permitted a national team to call up a player for the World Cup finals over the objection of his club. Is there any basis for Bradley's apparent belief otherwise? Seems to me either Bradley is making this up, or greatly exaggerating what Sochaux said, or that he doesn't actually know the rules. Goff, are you aware of anybody who is following up these inconsistencies?

Posted by: nelson_o_matichotmailcom | May 13, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"If the American coaching staff truly believed he was fit enough to compete for a roster spot, it would have forced the issue with Sochaux."

I dunno. Sounds like the conversation was one sided with Sochaux doing all the talking. Did Bob Bradley actually speak with anyone from the club after receiving the letter? Just because Sochaux didn't medically clear Davies, doesn't mean Bob can't call Davies into camp.

Posted by: andrew23 | May 13, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I would like an answer to Nelson's question #2 as well. Were Bradley's hands really tied here by Sochaux? I haven't been able to find anything definitive on FIFA's site, and although various blog commentators are making proclamations about this, no one seems to be able to back it up with a citation.

Posted by: BooThisMan | May 13, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I still say this is an insurance company issue - Davies suffered a possible career ending injury so for this season which probably runs through July 15 for contract purposes, I am sure his contract was paid in full by Sochaux's insurance company. If he played one second of competitive soccer before then, his salary would go back on the books at Sochaux and they would be out hundreds of thousands of dollars instead of whatever their monthly premium is. Just a theory....

Posted by: IamAM | May 13, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: andrew23

I don't know about BB, but someone from the USMNT met and checked out Davies.

Posted by: Reignking | May 13, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

A member of the USSF, the United States Soccer Federation, came to Montbéliard at the end of the month April in order to verify in person the condition of the player before the decision has been taken not to select Charlie Davies for the next World Cup. A decision only to be made by the USSF.

Posted by: Reignking | May 13, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Case ain't closed till Gene_Wells gets here and says so...

Posted by: DadRyan | May 13, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes athletes think they are invulnerable, and after a severe injury, think they can come back sooner than is realistic. It is in cases like these that you need a medical staff to say 'no' with the interests of the long term future of the player in mind. The extent of Davies injuries were almost fatal. I am sure he worked very hard, and while I am not a doctor, I would imagine the time frame for recovery from such horrific injuries is more than 7 months. There will be other World Cups in his future. I think after the initial anger at his club passes, he may come to realize both club and USA medical staffs had his long term interests in mind.

Posted by: Verdeball | May 13, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I've got an unsubstantiated theory here re davies.

Players get injured all the time on international duty and the clubs are just hosed.

In the last world cup, michael owen rushed back from injury, got injured, and england had to pay newcastle 10 mm lbs.

Sochaux deem davies not fit, but folks say that USA still had right to call davies, deliberated up to last day, but chose not to. Obviously the usa medical staff did their evaluation a weekish before and acted like they were willing to bring in charlie had sochaux deemed him fit.

My theory is that this was a financial decision by US soccer and that if davies got injured it would have been their liability to compensate sochaux due to sochaux's medical stance. Usa didn't want the financial risk.

Posted by: david93 | May 13, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

My theory is that he's not healthy enough to play. It's in Sochaux's best interests to have a healthy CD play well in South Africa. Score a brace in the first round, and his transfer value skyrockets. It's in Bob Bradley's best interest. It's in ussf's best interest. Hell, it's in ESPN's best interest. His contract can't be worth more than a couple million Euros, you don't think USSF would guarantee that, under the table, if they really thought CD could contribute to getting out of Group? Or find a rich donor to do so? I bet Drew Carey would underwrite that.

Facts are: no one, besides Charlie, with a stake in this thought it was worth pushing. That should tell us all something.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | May 13, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Ahh....

I'll take "Famous soccer people who dwelled in Happy Valley" for $200, Alex...

Posted by: JkR- | May 13, 2010 3:53 PM
________________________________________

I forgot to mention Christie Welsh.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 13, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

If I'm the parents of Ashley Roberta, the young woman who died in the crash with Davies, I'd be having a really hard time hearing him whine about not making the World Cup roster. Charlie, you made a terrible mistake breaking curfew as young people often do. But you're alive, you're healthy (maybe not yet 100%) and you have your whole life in front of you (as well as many more opportunities to play in the World Cup). Get a grip, son. And have some humility. This may not be the year to complain about what's "fair" and what's not.

Posted by: queensfan | May 13, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: queensfan | May 13, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

david93's theory seems solid. It never hurts to "follow the money." With Davies' physical condition questionable and Sochaux on record against a WC callup, the potential liability for USSF seems a logical reason for tilting the scale against adding Davies to the squad.

Posted by: runningcloud | May 14, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Suck it up CD; you're not match fit and the jury is still out on your future. WC 2014 is around the corner; make sure u stay away from the bar scene.

Posted by: juke2 | May 14, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

CD please grow up dude. You should be happy your alive and have a club that still supports you. You're an investment dude. If I was the club and knew my player missed curfew I would penalize and punish the player and damn the Federation (whichever it is) against FIFA for not controlling its players!!! Seriously man it sucks you're not there but you're the only one to blame man. Once again grow up and really learn from this...really!!!

Posted by: silentbat | May 14, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

So the problem is not that Davies voiced his displeasure, but the target of that displeasure? Or is it the fact that he voiced his displeasure at all? Given that it hasn't even been a week yet since the selection of the 30, I don't think it's wrong for him to complain about not being selected. I mean, it's right that he's going to have the rest of his life to have more opportunities, but he's also not going to have WC 2010 back.

Immediate feelings, missed opportunities, hindsight is 20/20 and all of that. I think he gets that or will get that, and just keep on working and maturing.

Posted by: basjando | May 14, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Though I hope he at least apologizes for how his anger came out, not for letting it out.

Posted by: basjando | May 14, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Hope Abby is on the mend and we will see her play Sunday.Hang tough Abby!!

Posted by: lsf07 | May 14, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse