D.C. United, by the numbers

With a 1-8 record and three points, four goals scored, 18 conceded, seven scoreless efforts, 33 shots on goal, a 1-4 mark at RFK Stadium and the home attendance average dipping to 14,953 after a strong start, D.C. United is on a historically poor pace.

The club's all-time low points:

Wins: 8 (2000 and '01)
Nine in 2002 and '09

Points: 26 (2001, in 26 games)
8-16-2 record after a 3-2-0 start

Goals scored: 31 (2002, in 28 games)
MF Bobby Convey and F Ali Curtis with five apiece

Goals allowed: 63 (2000, in 32 games)
Ds Jeff Agoos, Carlos Llamosa, GK Tom Presthus traded after season

Shut out: 12 (2002)
Seven goal-less efforts in nine-game stretch midseason

Shots on goal: 148 (2003, in 30 games)
Dema Kovalenko with a team-high 14

Home record: 6-7-3 (2000)
United's only losing league campaign at RFK

Attendance: 15,262 (1996)
Inaugural season

By Steve Goff  |  May 24, 2010; 11:55 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS  | Tags: D.C. United, MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday kickaround
Next: Matchday: England-Mexico

Comments

Did anyone notice that, in this morning's Post, all of the MLS teams were listed in incorrect conferences?

Posted by: stwasm | May 24, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

OK, so I don't see how to squeeze a 20,000 SSS into this, but I couldn't resist...I know, I know, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: assocfoot | May 24, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the team will break every single one of those, this season.

A couple days ago someone posted a link to a decent story about Maessner, the youth development coach who just left. Apparently he left without having anything new lined up. Very disturbing if so, unless he got filthy rich during his MLS career (q.v.).

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 24, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Gee whiz, Sr. Goff.

Thanks for reminding how bad things really are on a Monday morning.

What would my dad say about right about now.

"Hey, Come on now! you gotta hava faith! They might just turn it around! You never know...You gotta wait to see what they do!"

(Of course, he has been saying th same thing to me every Orioles off season the last I dont know--thirteen or fourteen years and you can see where that has gotten me...)

The man is an eternal optimist.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 24, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Chang's Plan:
Step 1 Do not purchase quality players or coach.
Step 2 Have a losing season.
Step 3 Attendence falls.
Step 4 Move team to Baltimore.

Posted by: rusone | May 24, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Goffs, you need to do a comparison chart with the LEAGUE's worst ever teams. Forget DCU history. We're epically bad this season. Horrendous.

Posted by: Matte | May 24, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

And I thought last year was the worst. I don't even watch anymore.

Posted by: tundey | May 24, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Yet somehow this team is so craptastically bad that I just can't stop watching.

Posted by: benonthehill | May 24, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I think I must have completely blocked out 2000-2002. It looks like this year will be joining them.

When will we be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs? What is the earliest that has ever happened before in league history?

Posted by: fedssocr | May 24, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

2010 team slogan:

"DC United, We set records..."

Posted by: csd1 | May 24, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

At least we are still undefeated on Wednesdays.

I'm predicting DCU puts in 5 goals v. AC Milan...and then reverts to their lifeless selves against Goats USA.

Posted by: Tweaked | May 24, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Fire Onalfo. This has gone on long enough.

Posted by: p6brt | May 24, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, p6brt. I'll second.

Posted by: Matte | May 24, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I can barely see due to the amazing amount of steam pouring off of this pile of crap called DC United....more like DC Untied!

Posted by: asocrlovr | May 24, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

21 matches left. We can still reach 24 points by parking the bus (I would write "proverbial bus" but I don't think buses appear in any proverbs, unless you type "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bus").

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 24, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

So, Chang's plan is to follow the plot of the movie Major League?

Get the players a life-sized cardboard cutout of Chang in a speedo!

-------------------------------------------
Chang's Plan:
Step 1 Do not purchase quality players or coach.
Step 2 Have a losing season.
Step 3 Attendence falls.
Step 4 Move team to Baltimore.

Posted by: rusone | May 24, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wmsiii | May 24, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

The Major League theory has gained a surprising foothold among a number of fans, for what it's worth, even if it doesn't make a ton of sense.

For the AC/DC game, just remember, DCU fans: For United this year, Wednesday = Winsday.

And I don't want Onalfo fired. I want Kasper fired. He's the constant here in the slow slog down from 2007, not a new coach who's only been at the helm about 6 months.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | May 24, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Incidentally, just saw this on ESPN.com - potential impact on MLS' business structure?

Posted by: VercengetorixII | May 24, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Amen. If Kasper had any integrity he would have resigned by now.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 24, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Convey and Ali Curtis shared the golden boot one year? I had forgotten that little gem of information. It does look like we are on track to break most of those records.

Posted by: Senor_Funk | May 24, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Fire the bandwagon for crying like a *****.
Allez United! We were born with a silver spoon in our mouths and a rare poor start, people begin to cry. Learn to except that we are not invincible but we will shine again one day.
A la Gloria!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | May 24, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

DCU by the numbers -- imagine a man who could turn this into a success story. How many friends he would have.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 24, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

One answer to the "lose and move" approach:
Sign the Hanson Brothers!

Posted by: billq1 | May 24, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted this on a earlier thread yesterday -
United has 4 league goals - there are 10 PLAYERS with 4 or more goals in the league this season...and that's not counting the guys with own goals.

Anybody know what Ali Curtis is up to these days?

Posted by: soccerman | May 24, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

It will take several seasons to undo the damage done by Payne...just look at the past several years...is this what you want for future seasons?
Payne's been mailing it in for years now...ownership is asleep at the wheel...

Posted by: LCR-54 | May 24, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

The worst part of all of this is that, even if United continues like this and finishes with the worst record in the league, they won't get the top pick in the draft because of the two expansion teams.

Posted by: stwasm | May 24, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Amen. If Kasper had any integrity he would have resigned by now.

Posted by: fedssocr

------------------------------------------

Integrity and Kasper are two mutually exclusive concepts.

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 24, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

@I-270Exit1 --- I think you're on to something here. a point is a point. get 'em anyway you can. I think Payne(?) may have even suggested as such a few weeks back, but it looks like we can't even do that right! ;-)

Posted by: nairbsod | May 24, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VercengetorixII

------------------------------------------

The problem with sports reporters like John Clyton covering a Supreme Court decision is that he is, in fact, a sports reporter and not a legal expert.

The NFLPA had similar problems getting its messege out in the '87 strike because all of the reporters covering the strike were sports writers who knew nothing about labor or anti-trust law and were easy pickings for Rozelle's and Donlon's propaganda program, not to mention that they were co-opted by the league's free food, booze, and swag at the Super Bowl each year.

The point is that this ruling has nothing to do with anything but merchandising and is not, as Clayton says in the link, a "huge victory for the players." It has nothing to do with labor issues which are governed by labor law and to a large extent, anti-trust law.

Similarly, this ruling has nothing to do with MLS, whose single-entity structure was validated by a federal court several years ago.

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 24, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

This season reminds me of the movie "Major League" with Charlie Sheen and a cast of other hilarious characters. I hope this one turns out as good as the Cleveland Indians one does in the movie.

Posted by: JMSinCHeights | May 24, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

A few thoughts about the state of DCU;

1)In reading some of the criticisms posted the last few weeks, it appears that many fans feel Castillo is to blame for everything. I'm not defending him by any means but there are several players on the team that are playing just as bad if not worse than him.

2)Kasper has to be the man held accountable for the current state of the team. Although I also blame KP, it is Kasper that is supposedly making most of the personnel decisions.

3)The summer signing period is irrelevant to this team. There is no way signing players at that point can salvage the season. The lights will already be out by then.

4)I have written the season off. I will continue watching the games on TV and attending the home games but if they win great and if they lose well that's life. My chief concern at the home games the rest of the season will be whether the tailgate was good or not. Vamos United!

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 24, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Given our poor defensive effort and even more dismal offensive effort this year, why does the coach continue with the same back line? Wallace is obviously NOT a left back and keeps getting burned there, Tally has obviously not brought anythng to the table,and Pena is tired. Oh well, if you can't score we can't win anyhow !!

Posted by: patrick18 | May 24, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Kasper and Payne will leave ... with the team. Baltimore United? Carolina United?

Posted by: lovinliberty | May 24, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

the problem is there are no other options in the back right now. Who would you put in there? McTavish maybe, but otherwise who? Talley has not really been that bad and has provided a bit of leadership. Wallace is hot and cold. Which is frustrating. He has shown that he CAN be pretty good at LB. He just isn't always. Graye is a rookie who makes rookie mistakes. A bigger problem is the useless midfield, especially thw wing midfielders who aren't doing anything to deny service. Just like you can't blame the GK for most of the goals, the defense isn't getting any support from the midfield either.

Castillo has been awful. He's getting paid a lot of money to be awful. I think that's why people focus on him. If he was getting paid minimum people wouldn't grouse as much.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 24, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Fewest goals in a season = Toronto in 2007 with 25 goals in 30 games. 2010 DCU is on a pace to shatter that mark...

Posted by: edgeonyou | May 24, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

@fedssocr: I disagree with you saying we can't blame many of our goals conceeded on the keeper. I think you CAN blame many of the goals on Perk. He was tragic to start the season. His GAA is twice what Hamid's is. I don't really get it, cause I fully expected Perk to be a rock. But he let in some soft, soft goals.

Posted by: Matte | May 24, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Responses to various comments above.

1) If the team moves to Baltimore, it will fail spectacularly. Baltimore is NOT a soccer town, and never will be.

2) If the team moves to North Carolina, it will fail spectacularly.

3) I haven't read all the Insider comments this season but have read most of them. I don't recall a single one that blames *Castillo* for ALL the ills that beset DC United. He is not a good player, but no one has blamed everything on him.

Will Chang has hamstrung this soccer team. Say what you want about KP and DK, but they can't order paper clips much less sign players without Chang's direct involvement and signoff per words from Chang's own mouth.

That is the reality. So what we have is THE worst roster in MLS. Onalfo's culpability here is he is not playing the (admittedly bad) cards dealt him. This team does not work. This team does not hustle. This team does not fight. This team does not play as smart as (what little) it can.

We aren't going to beat anybody on talent, because we don't have any. But we ought to at least draw a game now and again; and we ought to win one here and there just on grit and work rate alone. This is MLS (a league only marginally better than it was in 1996), not the EPL. It's not like all other MLS teams are Chelsea and Manchester United.

For our lazy, lackadaisical play, you have to blame the coach. He is not getting anything out of his players. There is not a whole lot there to be gotten, but there is more than 1-8.

Didn't think I'd be saying it this so soon, but Onalfo must go.

Fire Onalfo now!

Posted by: Ron16 | May 24, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I hope Ben's on the fast track to getting all of his coaching licenses. not that I am sure they are necessary in this league though.

I will agree on the grit/hard-work front. You only get that out of Morsink and Cristman. And to a lesser extent Najar when he's out there.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 24, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron16 | May 24, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

==================================

You're taking what I said way too literally. My point was that he gets way more criticism than others that are playing just as bad.

Kasper predates Chang's majority leadership and Onalfo. He is far more culpable than Chang and Onalfo for the state of the roster.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 24, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Kasper is responsible, plain and simple. But he is KP's favorite because he came to DCU on the recommendation of Sunil who in his "role" at New England, was Kasper's superior, so he's not going anywhere.

Along with Bruce, KP thinks Sunil walks on water, and of course it never hurts to please the head of US Soccer even if he is the most conflicted sports executive since Alan Eagleson.

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 24, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

@Gambrills: if that is your point, then you should have said so. Your point, as now stated, has some merit. That said, Castillo doesn't appear to know what he is doing. It's almost like he is afraid to get too far from the sideline. He is not the worst player on the team but he is one of the worst.

It does not matter who "predates" Chang. Chang is running the show now, and he has run things into the ground.

As far as Onalfo goes, Kasper may be "more culpable" than Onalfo in the grand scheme of things, but the reality is that Kasper is not going anywhere, like it or not. Even if Kasper were to resign tomorrow, the fact remains Onalfo is a bad coach. He has to go.

Posted by: Ron16 | May 24, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Kasper's ego is too massive and his brain power too dim for him to resign. He truly in his pea brain-sized mind believes he is making the correct decisions in all aspects of his job. Couple that with KP having his back, and DCU is stuck with him as long as KP is around.

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 24, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

wow this whole deal--the games, the parking lot, no stadium, this blog, us fans--the whole shebang is about the most depressing sports scene I have seen in a long time. Does this ever end...

Posted by: DCB23 | May 24, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I will be going to DCU games stictly to have a good time the rest of the season. This Saturday that means steaks on the grill and Pilsner Urquell in the cooler. Vamos United!

Posted by: croftonpost | May 24, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I'll be back in MD from mid-June through early July and am kinda glad that DCU isn't playing any home games while I'll be there.

Or else I know I'd waste money on tickets, beer, food, metro, etc. to see "soccer."

Instead I can just hangout and get drunk in Fulton.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 24, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

United we stand and divided we fall, come on guys, now more than ever the United need their full fan base behind them!

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | May 24, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

hey, I put 69 in my internet handle, that makes me sexually-cool.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 24, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Lot 8 is fixed

Posted by: DCB23 | May 24, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Sometime this season, I can almost guarantee that DC United will figure out how to score an own goal on a corner kick.

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | May 24, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse