D.C. United news & notes

A shoulder injury seems likely to sideline goalkeeper Bill Hamid and open the way for Troy Perkins to return to D.C. United's lineup Saturday against the Houston Dynamo at Robertson Stadium (8 p.m. ET, Galavision).

Hamid banged into a post after extending to make a save in training Tuesday. He will travel with the club to Texas.

"We will make a decision [about the starting job] tomorrow," Coach Curt Onalfo said. "He has gotten better each day. We'll see. If he is not 100 percent right mentally, I don't think it's the environment to throw him in. Troy has been very, very good in training."

Meantime, midfielder-forward Chris Pontius is on the travel squad after recovering from a hamstring injury. He still needs to regain match fitness and will be available for a second-half appearance.

Defender Dejan Jakovic (shoulder) is two to three weeks from returning and midfielder Santino Quaranta (staph infection) might be back for the friendly against AC Milan on Wednesday at RFK Stadium.

Uruguayan defender Fabian Irigoyen's brief trial didn't go well and he was not offered an extended tryout.

By Steve Goff  |  May 21, 2010; 12:10 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags: Bill Hamid, Chris Pontius, Curt Onalfo, D.C. United, MLS, Santino Quaranta, Troy Perkins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Rooney and Ronaldo, Kobe and Homer
Next: Goodson's rise, Baltimore friendly, D.C. United

Comments

With so many negative waves these days, I gotta go with wishing Troy good luck on this one.

Posted by: DCB23 | May 21, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

So, barring any new injuries, the post World Cup squad will see everyone healthy AND fit . . . save for Namoff and Burch?

Maybe they can then make a push toward .500? Otherwise, wake me up when the nightmare season is over . .

Posted by: delantero | May 21, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

::Forward Luciano Emilio is closer to full fitness after being left off the game-day roster last weekend. "It's two hard weeks we have put in with him," Onalfo said. "As the weeks progress, he will get more minutes for us."::

uh....how many weeks does the guy have left with us (assuming they don't renew)?

Posted by: nairbsod | May 21, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Any idea how many people are expected for the friendly with AC Milan?

Posted by: WorldCup | May 21, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | May 21, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

With Perkins back in the nets, its a guaranteed loss!

Posted by: alan19 | May 21, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"Fabian Irigoyen's brief trial didn't go well"

Details, plz.

Posted by: JRandomReader | May 21, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Yes, details. We never heard of this guy before this week, but now we need details...

Seriously, though....doomed.

Posted by: fischy | May 21, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"Fabian Irigoyen's brief trial didn't go well"

Details, plz.

Posted by: JRandomReader

He said that DC wasn't beautiful enough for his family.

Posted by: Reignking | May 21, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

The Hispanic Millenials author needs to study survey methodology and statistics before making his conclusions.

The lack of second-generation Hispanic-Americans [among survey respondents], indicates first-generation Hispanic-Americans of the Baby Boomer generation assimilated into American culture through football, basketball and baseball, and did not communicate a passion for soccer to their children.

How the **** did he reach this conclusion?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 21, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

So Perks is most likely in the nets this week, huh? Houston got owned by RSL, what was that, just last week? So we've got a shot right? Right?

I'm keeping the faith. But I have this nagging feeling that somehow, this does not end well for us...yet again.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 21, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

speaking of Namoff....we haven't heard much about how he is doing in quite some time. Before the season I seem to recall reading the doctors telling him his career was not in jeopardy. So, what's his status?

Posted by: fedssocr | May 21, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful interview with Brad Friedel and his BOSS accent and voice in general on the US Soccer website. Seriously, this guy's got a great future in voiceover/commentary work.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 21, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

You mean we turned away a South American? Big news, people!

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 21, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Perkins is equal to Hamid on any given night.
He had very little defense in front of him in the first few games.
Goal is not our problem. The center mid position and a creative forward remain the issues now, as they were all through the off season.
Will the owner and FO come through for the fans??

Posted by: lemovs1 | May 21, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I-270, this didn't convince you?

I recently recruited 202 survey participants from the Facebook fan pages of five MLS teams, and Hispanics accounted for 25 percent of survey participants.

I acknowledge the economic bias of my recruitment method. But I contend the disparity between immigrants and first-generation survey participants is indeed indicative of a trend amongst MLS fans.

Posted by: Reignking | May 21, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Perkins is equal to Hamid on any given night.

Posted by: lemovs1

I'm equal to Perkins "on any given night", too -- I'm great at sitting down for 90 minutes.

Posted by: Reignking | May 21, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if MLS will crush Man U simply by virtue of playing in Houston. Tomorrow it will be like 90 degrees 90% humidity at game time. Imagine what it will be like on July 28.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 21, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Someone mentioned the Cantona ads today . . . this movie "Looking For Eric" was reviewed in the WSJ today . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | May 21, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Review of cantona movie and link to trailer.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 21, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Looking for Eric? Try a karate class.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 21, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@RK1 & I-270: it goes without saying that I am not the brightest guy around but the amador piece seemed like it had more than a few huge holes. So many that i am a little surpised that it was published in an outlet that wnats to be taken seriously.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 21, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

yanki: yeah, CNBC. Not just some random blog. And this guy is getting his graduate degree for this "analysis". He must have some serious connections.

His paper, of course, must be more thorough, but I would reject it on the premise of the lousy introduction.

Posted by: Reignking | May 21, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Apropos of Zakumi, here's a Post poll of the worst Olympic mascot ever.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 21, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

As far as Emilio goes: clearly, I missed something. Did he guet injured during training or during a match after he signed with DC?

He must have because I can't imagine a scenario where a guy who was so intent on pursuing his happiness and taking care of his family would have let himself get so out of shape that he is still not ready to play.

He must have gotten injured and I just didn't hear about it until now.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 21, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

If I were on his thesis committee... well, let's just say that he'd have another year left before graduation.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 21, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Perkins is an excellent keeper and should not be made a scapegoat for the team's poor performance this year.

Posted by: KRIKET | May 21, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Fabian Irigoyen was let go for insubordination. He approached Ben Olsen after practive and said:

"My name is Fabian Irigoyen, you killed my father! Prepare to die!"....

Posted by: JkR- | May 21, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

*bangs head into wall*

I decided to post the blog/article to BS, to see what others thought. I don't think they read more than the title.

Posted by: Reignking | May 21, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, JkR!

Posted by: ldmay | May 21, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

He must have gotten injured and I just didn't hear about it until now.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 21, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

You're being way too kind, I think.

Remember when they signed him and they lowered expectations right off by noting that he was out of shape because he had not played -- in a month??

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 21, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | May 21, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Why bad mouth a good keeper-Perkins- who has demonstrated his ability here with DCU over several fine seasons, had a succesful career in Norway (a better league than MLS) and been listed as fourth in line as the national team keeper.Focus on what the team needs now. It is not a keeper, we have two good ones. What does trashing players get our team?

Posted by: lemovs1 | May 21, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

so is Luci on the travel roster or not?

Posted by: Section107 | May 21, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Lighten up lemovs1

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 21, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

>>>
in Norway (a better league than MLS)
>>>

I don't know about that. According to UEFA it's the 22nd best league in Europe (below cyprus).

Posted by: mizage | May 21, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Apparently my level of snark has gone beyond normal levels.

I was kidding, lemon.

Posted by: Reignking | May 21, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Apparently my level of snark has gone beyond normal levels.

I was kidding, lemon.

Posted by: Reignking | May 21, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Accepted King. We are fans, we have a right to snark.

Posted by: lemovs1 | May 21, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

ALAN19 - you are a moron. Have you forgotten already who Perkins is.

reignking - Interesting read. I would be dissapointed if the mls turned into anything similar to the mexican closura or the columbian apertura or whatever the hell they call those leagues. I hope our league becomes quick, with long balls and so on, like the epl or the 1st,2cd,and 3rd divisions in england. The reason they play so slow down south is probably because they are located down south :)

Posted by: g3impreza | May 21, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I guess I am a moron because I disagree with g3impreza and the Politburo...I clearly know who Perkins is...And I clearly remember his last year here before he left, and his triumphant return back to the club this year, were he was averaging 3 goals against in that time...IMHO he looks worse this year than he ever has...

Posted by: alan19 | May 21, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Please excuse my harshness. Got a little excited lol. His positioning is solid. The gameplay is whats fooling him. I think he needs to start from now on.

Posted by: g3impreza | May 21, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Apertura = opening
Clausura = closing

Just names for the two parts of the season

Posted by: Reignking | May 21, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

ah.. that always confused me.

Posted by: g3impreza | May 21, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

to bad for you alan19....you missed 2 really good years in Norway...it's a shame you only remember things from 2 years ago...

Posted by: soccerfan | May 21, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: soccerfan | May 21, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

To bad for you alan19....you missed 2 really good years in Norway...it's a shame you only remember things from 2 years ago...

Posted by: soccerfan | May 21, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Wishing Perkins well. GK is the only DCU position that Onalfo doesn't have to sweat when a starter is sidelined. Hamid-Perkins is DCU's best GK depth since Rimando-Perkins.

Posted by: runningcloud | May 22, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad someone made the Princess Bride reference.

Posted by: kdiff813 | May 22, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse