D.C. United rewind

Only 75 days until the summer transfer window opens! It might be D.C. United's only hope of salvaging this miserable season.

Curt Onalfo can tinker with formations, tactics and lineup selections all he wants, but the current roster is not going to produce points for him. Kevin Payne and Dave Kasper -- and, to some extent, Onalfo -- must bear responsibility for assembling this malfunctioning group.

From Troy Perkins' slow reactions to Rodney Wallace (isn't he supposed to be fast?) getting torched by Dane Richards, to the lack of any attacking player capable of changing the game, United is .....

a wreck. (Maybe that's a little harsh. Andy Najar is going to be an influential player someday and Clyde Simms was a level above his teammates Saturday.)

At 0-5, DCU is off to the third-worst start since the league launched 14 years ago. This coming week, United will host Kansas City -- a team that thumped DCU by four goals in the season opener -- and then visit winless FC Dallas. With a pair of losses, United would equal Kansas City's record-setting 0-7 start in 1999.

The Washington Freedom scored more goals in 54 minutes of Saturday's nightcap at RFK Stadium -- a 3-1 victory over St. Louis Athletica -- than United has tallied in 450 this season. The DCU players should have stuck around and taken note of the first two Freedom goals: Sonia Bompastor's angled one-timer and Homare Sawa's leaping volley of Bompastor's corner kick.

As for the attendance, 12,089 might be a nice turnout for Dallas or New England, but it's an embarrassing count for a United weekend match. Despite Christian Castillo's presence, the Salvadoran community seems to have lost interest. If not for the couple thousand fans that the Freedom game attracted, it would have looked much worse. So if only 12,089 show for a Saturday afternoon rivalry game, how many do you think will attend an early-starting match against the Wizards this Wednesday? Poor ESPN. The network was stuck with a Dallas weekday home game two weeks ago and now it has to show RFK's empty seats.

Watch the DCU-New York video package here.

Read my match report here.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  May 1, 2010; 10:40 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags: Curt Onalfo, D.C. United, MLS, New York Red Bulls, Washington Freedom
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: United-Red Bulls
Next: Video: 5 red cards in MLS

Comments

Why would anything think Payne and Kasper would bring in the right or quality players during the summer transfer window?

Posted by: decoi | May 1, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

The real winner this year has been and will be the beer man. It is going to take serious amounts of liquid courage to remain true to the Black and Red but I'm up to the challenge.

Seriously, blow it up. At the World Cup break, they should hold the celebratory dinner for Jamie to honor his service to the Club, retire his number and let him go on his way with honor. He deserves it. The only guys who are having an impact on the game are Christman and the 17-year old Any Najar. What the F ?

To the rest of the roster and front office - it takes significantly more (new slogan trademarked) and we are seriously wondering if any of you have what it takes. Someone call me when DC either scores a goal or actually earns a point. I'll be looking for the beer man. Uggg......

Posted by: tcbannon | May 1, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Vamos United...

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | May 1, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey Wednesday is my birthday. Someone GIVE me a ticket and I MIGHT go... On a much happier note, I still did have a great time bringing the LilRyan out for her first match. She was accompanied by a little guy of the same age wearing the same jersey she had on and they had a wonderful time beating each other with their thunder sticks in 311 while we watch disaster unfold after the half.

Thoughts on the match...
Wallace sucked, he makes us all miss Burch doesn't he?

It was nice to get Simms back. We need Jakovic back. This teams spine has been torn out.

Above all I hope that wherever Najar goes people are looking out for the kid. He's the most creative player out there, and he shows signs of great vision and attacking mettle. Loved finally seeing him. It's a shame he and Christman couldn't combine for anything worthwhile.

I honestly think Emilio could help here. Give him and the Catracho Kid a little time to figure each other out and we'll some some nice goals.

This really does worry me though after living in Seattle and leaving there thinking. " There's no way the Sonics could alienate their fan base enough that they could just be moved away without a fight".... Seriously. What's going on?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 1, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I would have gone except I had my own game. 4 pm on a Saturday is prime time for kids' and adult rec sports. If it had been 7 pm, I'd have been there. Of course, I'd be grinding my teeth and questioning my wisdom in buying season tickets. Again.

Posted by: ldmay | May 1, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I dunno if the beer man really wins when there are only 12,000 people there. This team makes me want to drink alone.

Posted by: hungrypug | May 1, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I never did see the fascination with Troy Perkins, even in his first incarnation. FO seemed to make a big deal about bringing him back, how this would make the defense so much better. My thought when hearing that was that it might be a slight upgrade, but only because last year's keepers were so - erratic, unreliable, you pick the adjective.

Posted by: LeeM9308 | May 1, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey how about this Buddle character for the Nats!? 9 goals in how many games?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 1, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Perkins sucks. That second goal was pathetic

Posted by: RRP1 | May 1, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Chang must bear the most responsibility. He has run the team into the ground. His hands-on approach is very Dan Snyder-esque, and has resulted in this hapless bunch of stiffs we see trotting out onto the field week after week.

This organization needs big changes. Starting at the very top.

Posted by: Ron16 | May 1, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

This organization needs big changes. Starting at the very top.

Posted by: Ron16 | May 1, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

There is no way I am going to start throwing Perkins under any bus yet, and as far as Buddle goes -- he is hot in a postion we need help in.

Posted by: swampdogoh | May 1, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
A litany of shutouts is loosed upon the world,
The beer-dimmed tide of gibberish is loosed,
and everywhere reason is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 1, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

There is no way I am going to start give Perkins a hard time yet, and as far as Buddle goes -- I say we give him some time in Camp, he is hot in a spot we need.

Posted by: swampdogoh | May 1, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

So am I one of these worst?
Or do I lack Passionate Intensity?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 1, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

;)

Posted by: DadRyan | May 1, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

dude, we are way beyond Yeats at this point.

There once was a team from D.C.
Competing for soccer trophy.
The roster decayed;
The fans (those who stayed)
Knew the team smelled worse than pee.

Posted by: hungrypug | May 2, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Ron16 - What the hell are you talking about?

Posted by: fret44 | May 2, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Are we allowed to start questioning Onalfo's coaching decisions yet, because I have one -- why would you pair Morsink with Simms in central midfield? I "thought" Morsink was starting because Simms was injured, but Onalfo's love affair with him runs deeper then I thought.

Why not pair Najar with Simms centrally and start Moreno as a withdrawn forward? Hell, I would have rather have seen Emilio start after 4 days with the team.

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | May 2, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

I had season tickets for two awful season under Wrongen and was very close to getting them again this season. Very glad I did not.

Posted by: Dancy1 | May 2, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

@mercurysnake77: Some of us having been questioning Onalfo since even before he was hired. And I dare say we were right to do so.

Posted by: Sultano | May 2, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse

@mercurysnake77

+1 for "what the F is Morsink doing in the game standing next to Clyde"

Posted by: VTUnited | May 2, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Apparently Caleb Porter's BS detector is up and running.

I've never felt embarrassed by the football skills of those on DCU, until now. There's no one on the pitch for DCU that seems like a "DCU player"--no heart, no fire, no will to win. Moreno even seemed to have given up by the 70th minute, after entering in the 55th. These players don't know each other, don't trust each other, and don't want to win for each other. That part comes down to coaching.

The actual skill, and in this case utter lack thereof, comes from notably poor management. All of this needs to change before '11.

Posted by: Logan_Circle | May 2, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

If this keeps up, I'm not renewing my season tickets.

Posted by: mpd1 | May 2, 2010 1:02 AM | Report abuse

The Yeats thing is cute.

You can't always win. Stop whining. A lot of DC fans took a lot of pleasure mocking supporters of other teams for not going to games. Suck it up. You can't always win. I've been there and it sucks.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | May 2, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Wallace got torched by Richards? Richards ran by Wallace a lot, but it wasn't like Rodney has gotten any defensive help from Castillo in today's game or in any prior match.

This afternoon's match was the first league game that I've enjoyed all season. Wallace's two gaffes led to goals on Wednesday and his defense was subpar again today, but his crosses into the goal box in the second half were great and he's shown enough to get an opportunity to play at left mid on a regular basis. And where is the love for Jordan Graye? Built on Wednesday's game by another good performance -- a beautiful ball to Cristman was the best scoring chance the team had in the second half. I was not sold on Cristman when the team first picked him up, but he's an honest player that works his socks off and gives the team-oriented portion of the squad a decent option up top. And Najar, alone, is worth the price of admission. We sit at field level and watching his skill in tight spaces (and his unwavering commitment to win balls) from that vantage point justifies the trip and the season tickets.

Posted by: CPAddick | May 2, 2010 1:47 AM | Report abuse

so the options for fans who want to make it clear to the FO that this is totally unacceptable? the only thing I can think of is to opt to sit home - wear your jersey while sitting on the couch, and cheer on the team from your living room.

Posted by: nairbsod | May 2, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Kasper has to go; this is a results business.

For those who were wondering, the fascination with Perkins comes directly from Kasper's ego. Troy was one of his signature personnel moves, forever patting himself on the back for discovering him in the lower USL levels. He was very good for a while as we all know, and DCU sent away the GK (Nicky) who was voted as the all-time greatest DCU goal keeper (My vote would have been Garlick). He stopped being very good in 2007 and would have been sent away if the opportunity in Europe had not materialized and he departed on his own.

DCU hasn't won anything worth celebrating since Petke, Nellie, Nicky, BC, Esky, etc., were sent packing. The only way for this team to turn things around is to send Kasper packing.

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 2, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Perkins has been a nightmare.

No offense has been a worse nightmare.

Posted by: castroviejo | May 2, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

As much as it pains me to say it MJ is right. We DC fans need to stick with em. Win or lose, its the team we choose.

I'm still going cause I love the team and I love socccer. I might start wearing a brown bag on my head, but I'm still going.

Posted by: torrey151 | May 2, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

We do need to support the club in good and bad times. It's easy to be a fan of a winning team. A TRUE fan sticks with their team ALWAYS!

With that said, do we now concentrate on the USOC? Feild our starters for each USOC match? Vamos United!

Posted by: boda-united | May 2, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

McFarlane and Payne have created a team that they hope will lose every game, lower attendance to a high school level and then move the team to a nice new stadium in Baltimore. Kinda like the baseball movie "Major League." Where's Jobu when you need him?

Posted by: ddd001 | May 2, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I just hope the season turns for the good, eventually. Im not going to throw stones at anyone.
Just hoping that they will get their act together and play like they did in the US Open cup round.

I guess we are not used to losing...
so this is how the NYRB feel sometimes...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | May 2, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm placing the blame for this game on the coaching staff. It was a tale of two halves. The first was dominated by DCU. Read that as the players were doing well. We were attacking, disruptive, more creative (then recently), and we shot the ball. In the second half, we were tentative and disorganized. We let the red cows take it to us. They made adjustments at half-time that we (1) did not anticipate, and (2) did not adjust to. All of those are on the coaches.

To reinforce that, the subs made no sense either. Tino didn't bring his A, B or C game, yet he stayed on the field all afternoon. Najar clearly brought his A game, but was subbed out first. Loyalty is fine, but on game day you need to put and keep your best 11 on the field.

So what gives with the coaching decisions, Curt?

Posted by: carnack | May 2, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

This roster wasn't assembled to win games. It was put together to give an excuse to relocate the team (ie - we can't get good attendance, make money and afford to field a competitive team in this old stadium so we have to get MLS' permission to leave the region).

Cynical strategy by Chang. If United doesn't make a good faith effort to reward the loyalty of their long-time fans why should we continue to support them?

Posted by: grognard66 | May 2, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

The attendances throughout the league yesterday were disappointing, except Seattle, where 36,000+ is no longer noteworthy and Houston, which is always a solid draw over 15,000. Only 15+ in Carson and fewer than 15,000 in Bridgeview; NE had its usual underperformance and RSL drew fewer than 13,000.

But the biggest eyesore was DCU against its supposed heated rival and coupled with a second match with the women. I thought the DH with the Freedom was supposed to spike the gate higher; isn't that the point?

Is it unfair to say that but for the women's game, the gate might have dipped below 10,000? That's terrible. This team really needs some deep and major changes on all levels.

Wednesday's gate will embarrass DCU and MLS on national TV. Also, there are two games going up against the ESPN broadcast that night. Isn't ESPN supposed to have an exclusive?

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 2, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

What can explain how a vigorous first half turns into a flat second? Onalfo's half-time talk?

Pena was not at fault for the first goal. He went down and blocked Ibrihim's first shot. Then bad luck when the ball went back to Ibrihim. Pena was suspect on Angel's header. So was Talley. Pena's size makes him a constant liability on air balls. As a central defender, he is a relative midget. It's almost amazing he's made a career in this position. Maybe he could offset his size with mobility when he was younger. Now he's older and slower.

Wallace did not have a bad match. Sure, Richards beat him, but wingers have a habit of doing that to outside backs. It's part of the game. It happens at all levels worldwide.

Because of the TV "blackout," I've seen little of DCU this year. Maybe Najar has been played at withdrawn striker all along. But he seems far more suited to central midfield. Play him there and bench Morsink.

Good marks to Cristman, Graye, Najar, Simms and Quaranta. They played like they were interested in winning.

Too bad the front office isn't similarly motivated. What's the over-and-under on DCU setting the record bad start with 0-8 -- or worse?

Posted by: runningcloud | May 2, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

@boda-united

I was starting to think the same thing about the Open Cup.

Posted by: swampdogoh | May 2, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I won't be at the game on Wednesday. If the team doesn't want to bother to show up, why the hell should the fans?

I'm so glad I didn't buy season tickets this year, the first season I haven't had them since 1999.

Posted by: lastort1 | May 2, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

The team looked disinterested in the second half, and never looked like getting back into the game after the first goal.

The attendance is a function of the lack of fight that this team shows combined with an absolutely idiotic 4PM start time. I assume there was some TV reason for it, but you just aren't going to draw fans at 4PM on a Saturday (especially if it is hot, but there's no way to schedule that).

Posted by: Wyrm1 | May 2, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Fewest wins;
Most losses;
Fewest points;
Fewest goals; and
Most goals allowed

This is a results business; Kasper must go.

How can KP or Will possibly justify anything short of radical change in the technical department of this team?

Baltimore beckons...

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 2, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

fortunately no more double headers. I didn't stick around for the full Freedom match but I will say this, what I saw from those ladies was what you can read on that --now falling down--billboard thing on East Capitol: Fight, Courage, Passion... You get the idea. They have a league that totters on the edge of insolvency and yet those women seemed pumped up and ready to go.

I've been down in that fan viewing area to watch warmups for three DCU games now and I just don't see the passion.

But I'll still keep showin up.

Posted by: DCB23 | May 2, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I have half season tickets and I'm very glad that I didn't purchase full season tickets. I love United but this is the worst team I have seen since moving here in 1999. The second half performance was awful. Perkins I believe was at fault for the first goal (getting beat near post) not for the second one. The second goal was just a good header by Angel (defense on Angel was the problem with that goal). The majority of the players on this years team are reserve players at best.

Posted by: wrightcor | May 2, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Steven i think your way off here. We dominated the first half with many chances to score. Simms played terrible in my book. He missed a sitter from 4 yards out. Also his lack of ability to play offense kills us. He is totally defensive. He doesn't know how to make the offense flow. Also i thought Jaime did well when he came in. Quaranta was the one who had the WORST game. He was making mistakes and proved to be completely ineffective. Barklage was also a disaster, he looked lost all the time, and was getting beat without even putting a hand on he guy that beat him. Simms is good as a Defensive midfielder, thats it. He should not be trying to start or in anyway precipitate the attack. He has no knowledge of how to do so. The guy who came on for simms did much better from an attacking stand point. However Barklage was the one who should have come out. I blame the coach for this catastrophe. He has no idea what he is doing. The team let in 2 goals in 5 min. Complete breakdown after playing a solid first half. He should have been On them in the locker room to pick up the pace of their game. They came out in the second have and played horribly. Get RID OF ONALFO. LOOK WHAT HE DID TO KC LAST YEAR

Posted by: g3impreza | May 2, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

So we need to fix two things: stop the gaffes that lead to goals and start scoring some of our own.

Sound simple at first. Bring in new players? Maybe a new defender or two and a striker.

Not so fast- it looks to me as if most of United's troubles stem from the midfield. There is a consistent lack of imaginative passing in the attack. Very few dangerous balls are played through to the strikers. And other than Simms, there is no effective defensive presence in the midfield.

I would argue that the strikers and the defense could probably step up to do their jobs if the midfield was more solid. Maybe we should hope that the FO finds a couple of top-notch midfielders in the transfer window to bring in and provide inspired and creative play.

Posted by: StuckinTex | May 2, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

No way were there 12K plus fans there. I could have counted the fans from the upper deck. Someone is doing a nice job of inflating DC attendance figures.

Posted by: whoshotsam | May 2, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Perkins sucks. That second goal was pathetic

Posted by: RRP1 | May 1, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

You know absolutely nothing about soccer. The second goal was a GREAT goal. High cross slotted directly into the corner off a quick restart. Perkins couldnt do anything. The defender needs to make some kind of contact in that situation to throw off the forwards aim.

Posted by: g3impreza | May 2, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Blaming huge attendance problems on kickoff times and weather is always grasping at straws. Teams get the attendance they deserve based on results and enthusiasm surrounding the game day experience. Right now those two factors are in the toilet for United and fans find other things to do with their time and money. Simple as that - no need for excuses.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 2, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Since I'm out of town on Wednesday, I won't be at the game.

But I won't be watching it on ESPN either.

That evening I'll be attending some events put on by an organization that actually lives the meanings of 'Tradition' and 'It Takes More'.

Next week is Marine Week in Boston.

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 2, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I agree. Onalfo needs to go. Our central midfield was pathetic. No creativity. No service to the forwards.

Posted by: p6brt | May 2, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Now is the time for loyalty folks. Now is the time to stick with the team. No team wins all the time, DCU has been very successful and a lot of teams in the league would trade resumes, even including the last 5 years. Losing now will mean a housecleaning which will be good for the team. But we come off as petulant when we talk about canceling tickets and staying home. I have family in New Orleans whose pointy ball team didn't win anything for 40 years till this year. But the fans stayed loyal throughout. The root of fan is fanatic and fanatic means supporting your team even when it isn't entirely rational to do so.
Vamos United!

Posted by: Irrlicht | May 2, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

"Barklage was also a disaster, he looked lost all the time, and was getting beat without even putting a hand on he guy that beat him."

Barklage didn't play. In fact, he wasn't even on the bench. I'm guessing you're referring to Morsink; if so, it's true he was not very good.

If DCU does stick with this roster--and their other options are limited at best--they need to practice doing everything about 20 times faster. Every function is going at a maddeningly slow pace compared to the opposition, whether it's chasing down a loose ball or making a simple run into space, there's just no 'pop' in almost anything they do.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 2, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

A good first half following on the heels of the great performance on Wednesday. Most of the same starters which impressed me.

As many others said, Najar was great, and will only get better. I imagine he was pulled becuase he played 90 minutes on Wednesday and is still getting is pro legs. Don't forget he's only 17 and it take about half a season for a young player to get up to full speed.

Cristman has been a great surprise, he shows hustle.

Wallace looks shaky at left back.

Greye is solid. He's got a TON of potential.

Pena looked old and slow. He may have the experience, but he's showing his age.

Talley will by far be our best pick up this season (barring ronaldinho in July). We got him for nothing and he's leading the team in a way nobody else has been able to do.

Now, we just need to start scoring some goals. After we went down, the team just quit. I think its a mental block they need to get past. Changing players isn't going to help, nor is changing the coach. Put a few in the net and its a different story.

Vamos United

Posted by: SoccerVA | May 2, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

@fret44: Since you are apparently ignorant of things concerning DCU let me fill you in:

After DCU failed to make the playoffs 2 seasons ago, Chang, (who in the likely event that you do not know, is the owner of DCU) wrote in a letter to the fans that, among other things, he would be directly involved with clubs soccer operations. That makes him just as accountable as Kasper or Payne for the present fortunes of the club.

Posted by: Ron16 | May 2, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron16 | May 2, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I can't call the first half good because we didn't score. Cristman had a wide open header that be bounced off the ground before softly landing in the keepers hands. He needs to finish that to be a starting striker (apparently not here though).

Kudos to the poster that wondered why Morsik and Simms were paired togethere. Najar should be out there with Jaime playing striker.

This team is really nothing different from what we saw last season with the lone exception of being less potent offensively. They make the same mistakes. Chang needs to can the upper management because those clowns are just reshuffling the deck chairs. We need some new blood.

One thing that has carried over from the Sohen days that I just don't understand is DCU's set plays. You need to maintain possession after throw ins at least 80% of the time. We take soooo long setting up that the defense gets in position and wins the ball from us every time. It's ridiculous. We do the same thing on free kicks. I would much prefer to see some quick throws and FKs to keep the defense on its heals. If our club is paying attention they will be able to make some quick plays. I know it was hot yesterday, but this is something I have seen over the course of the last two seasons.

We make some really dumb fouls too. Red Bull was really good at set pieces all day yesterday, yet Wallace made an absolutely stupid foul before the 2nd goal that allowed that FK. He needs to get his head out of his ass.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | May 2, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

For those wanting to fire the coack: Who do you suggest we hire? The magisterial Ray Hodgson?

There are only so many coaches available. We have to wait for one of them to get fired for being a crappy coach; then we can hire him.

The coach, especially a new coach, has to play with the players the fo has given him.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | May 2, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: runningcloud | May 2, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

can we stop the baltimore talk? that will not happen.

running cloud -- i haven't seen the video, but I'm in the front row. it looked like he dove to all of us.

Posted by: torrey151 | May 2, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

You can point fingers all day long or you can face down reality; Onalfo CANNOT coach! I dare you to show me ONE successful team that he actually coached! Its impossible because it hasn't happened...EVER! While the current crop of talent isn't the best, its certainly good enough to win half of the games they've played thus far. If you're not the most dominant team in the league, then adjust your tactics and defend games away, be more economical in how you go forward. It isn't rocket science, its soccer. Teams do it all over the world day in and day out. The Red Bulls are certainly NOT a dominant group of players...but they play their system; its safe and the coach has done a marvelous job of making sure everyone knows their job. They're not going to win any "beautiful game" awards, but they're efficient and 5-1 in this marginal league! As for Onalfo, just read this article, it tells it all. As long as he's running the show we're in for more of the same: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/231522-curt-onalfo-fired-by-kansas-city-wizards-peter-vermes-named-new-coach

My suggestion? Start enjoying baseball, the Nationals are actually competing this year!

Posted by: castlekeep1 | May 2, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Quaranta's yellow card was ludicrous. He went down when a defender stepped on his foot. That's not a dive. It's a foul -- and a PK because it occurred inside the area. The ref blew the call. Posted by:
runningcloud

Agreed, but Tino's embellishment created doubt. He should have played it more realistically, but went over the top flailing.

Posted by: delantero | May 2, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Re: Santino

It was clearly a dive. Not that I like it, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

Posted by: Mixter | May 2, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Look at the replays, Tino was stepped on, but not much. Maybe a penalty, maybe not, certainly not a yellow. The yellow had no effect on his consistently poor crosses.

The second goal was BOTH poor defending on the cross and poor goalkeeping. Pena gets beat in the air, and Perkins takes 3 steps forward and 2 steps back - the classic "no-man's land." A simple save for Perkins if he stays on his line. If I were an opposing coach, I would do nothing but feed crosses into the box all day long. Same goes for the US National team. Oops, I hope Capello does not read this.

Posted by: jojosbo | May 2, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Holy cow this thread blew up. Critical mass time for United?

I don't know if anyone looked at attendance figures from last year. Saturday April 4 we hosted Houston, 12954 in the house. Same weekend a year ago (May 2) we hosted FCD and drew 14225. Both games were at night.

What this tells me is that we were able to have two giant turnouts this year (compared to last year) with the 730 starts. Our marketing team must be doing something right. The 4pm start (unless it's LA I'm guessing) just doesn't work for United anymore.

We'll see another low thousand souls in the stands. I'm curious to see if the team releases attendance or tickets sold this time. USOC is one thing, MLS wouldn't want to be embarrassed in one of their keystone markets.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | May 2, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jojosbo | May 2, 2010 2:58 PM

And if I was the coach for United, I would have tried to make Condouil work for everything. He's obviously injured, can't take goal kicks, and managed to delay the game twice rolling around after tweaking whatever it is. However, Onalfo et. al. failed to recognize the deficiencies of the keeper and let NY/NJ off the hook in that department.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | May 2, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Losing is painful, but a little realism would not go amiss.

Wallace is a spectacular athlete, a better athlete than almost anyone else on the team. (Although Graye impressed me in that category as well.) Wednesday I thought Wallace's positioning could have been better, but yesterday he did fine. I do worry that no one on the coaching staff is capable of helping young outside defenders (Burch, Wallace) improve. Athleticism can take you only so far. You have to learn the finer points.
True Richards beat Wallace for pace at least twice, but surely that happens regularly in MLS. Richards is really really fast.
There are two troubling aspects to the Richards/Wallace matchup however.
After playing a cautious compact game in the first half, NY spread the field and got the ball outside in the second. DCU was very slow to make the necessary adjustments. I don't know that they ever adjusting properly.
More important, defense is a team activity. Leaving a fullback on an island against a fast wing is a recipe for losing. Where were Castillo, Morsink, Simms, Talley while Wallace was trying to keep up with Richards? Castillo looked better yesterday but I suspect that team defense is not part of his game. Obviously part of the overall answer is that almost everyone else on DCU is a trifle slow. Graye again being a happy exception.
So let's all take a deep breath before we criticize the player who happened to be closest to the action that led to a goal. There are 10 other players out there all with jobs to do.

Posted by: Jphubba | May 2, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Man, if that's your plan of action all you're doing is making it easier for United to move out of the metropolitan area. Anywho, I don't think that the front office/ownership is going to invest much money in player compensation until the stadium situation is resolved - one way or the other.

Posted by: Stevenho | May 2, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Good news!

The game is being re-shown in 20 minutes (7pm) on Comcast Sportsnet!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 2, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Rats!

For some strange reason the DC United game doesn't seem to be on...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 2, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Why has Onalfo given Talley a free pass?

This guy has been with the team for less than two months.

Posted by: redskinsux | May 2, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

My 2 cents: Wallace is gadawful at defense. This isn't news. If the team thought he could play left back, they're fools. He's clueless out there. He was absolutely torched by RIchards, but also by Angel. The funny thing about the game was New York's best chances all went wanting because Angel couldn't find the net. The score might have been 2-0, but the second half wasn't nearly that close. Wallace does show some speed going forward, but that hasn't produced a goal yet, so what's it worth?

Perkins probably could have stopped the first goal, but definitely should have done better with the second. It's as if he fell asleep. I was never his biggest fan, but even I'm stunned with how shaky he looks right now.

The good? Najar wasn't bad. Simms wasn't either. Graye looked much better than he did against Dallas. I even thought Morsink was pretty effective in the first half. All of which means nothing when the team can't score a goal. I was asked "Did they win"? You can't ever win if you can't score a goal. Every team knows it's only a matter of time before the find the holes in the DCU defense. This may be the most impotent team to take the field in MLS history.

As for summer signings, Iv been talking about that for a long while, but now I'm wondering what foreign star would sign with DCU right now....

Posted by: fischy | May 2, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

As for summer signings, I've been talking about that for a long while, but now I'm wondering what foreign star would sign with DCU right now....

Posted by: fischy | May 2, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the washingtonpost.com host is taking a long time to load comments.

@fischy

Remember that gentlemen's bet we had in the preseason? Are we still on lol?

Posted by: redskinsux | May 3, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Been calling for the departure of the FO for years now...specifically Payne. Sounds like everyone else is on board now...

Posted by: LCR-54 | May 3, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Again, another embarassing disappointment.
Wallace is NOT a left back, Quaranta can't finish,and Moreno is tired. Christmas was by far the biggest threat. Why did Onalfo change the back line after the Cup game? Talley works hard, but there is a reason he has been with so many teams ! Where was Pena to back up Wallace? They should have put Emillio in-- oh wait-- they did !! Where was he? They put KING in who has been on the team 3 days?? You have got to be kidding me!! Like I said, this is embarassing---rock bottom !

Posted by: patrick18 | May 3, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Yes, I'm losing faith in Payne and Kaspar. I never had any in Onalfo. And this roster looked sketchy to anyone with eyes even prior to the season.

The one thing that has really been a surprise for me this season has been Perkins' lack of form. Admittedly, the defense in front of him has been poor. But there are still several goals that he should have saved. And just, mystifyingly, hasn't. Never thought I'd be pining away for Josh Wicks. LOL

Posted by: Matte | May 3, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Maybe we could kidnap Ronaldinho after the Milan friendly.

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | May 3, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse