Details of MLS expansion to Montreal

This morning, MLS formally introduced Montreal as the league's 19th club. It will begin play in 2012, a year after expansion teams in Vancouver and Portland get started.

*Saputo Stadium, on the grounds of Olympic Park, will undergo about $22 million in renovations to expand to 20,000 seats from 13,000. Improvements will also include new amenities, additional permanent seats, widened concourses and new player facilities. It is a natural grass venue. Select matches will also be played at the neighboring, 56,000-seat Olympic Stadium.

"Our team and sport have reached a new summit today," Impact President Joey Saputo said. "This is what Montreal deserved: a great league within a great city."

More information is available at the club's new Web site.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  May 7, 2010; 10:52 AM ET
Categories:  Canada , MLS  | Tags: Expansion team, Major League Soccer, Montreal, Olympic Stadium, Saputo Stadium, Soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday kickaround
Next: Quaranta, Najar sidelined for D.C. United

Comments

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 7, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Laisse-moi etre le premier homme a dire: Bienvenue a Montreal au MLS! (or would it be LFM?)

Posted by: the_slammer | May 7, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"Hated" them in the A-league andUSL1.

"Hate" them now in the NASL and US D2 Pro.

"Hating" them in MLS will be be a piece of cake.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 7, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Impact is a stupid name for a professional soccer team that plays outdoors.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | May 7, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

@Petey. It's not as bad as the Burn, Clash, Mutiny or Fusion. Better than Metrostars. Maybe better than Wizards. Definitely better than wiz.

I would even say better than Cosmos.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 7, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I forgot Galaxy and Fire. Some people would say that DC United is a horrible name. I used to but it grew on me by late October 96.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 7, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: the_slammer
--------------

They're using "la MLS" on the French version of the website.

Great addition to the league! Been hoping for this for a while.

Posted by: hogmesh | May 7, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Where do you tailgate at that stadium?

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

It would make a great road trip one day...nice excuse to see one of North America's greatest cities.

Select matches at the Stade Olympique? Just big internationals, or also wintry ones?

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I would even say better than Cosmos.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 7, 2010 11:17 AM

Better than horrible does not make something good.

Shame that Seattle and Montreal had to bring their lame-a$$ minor league names with them.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 7, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I like the Sounders. Makes sense. I'm not feeling the "Impact".

Do I get credit for being the first to make that remark?

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Finally, a stadium that will sell poutines at the concession stand!!!!

Posted by: IamAM | May 7, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Tabernacle! Good for Montreal. Now the three biggies in Canada have teams. Now let's get Chicoutimi a team!

I can't see MLS Cup being in Montreal. Brrrr.

Games in the Big O? Noooooo! That place is a concrete black hole.

Posted by: EssEff | May 7, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I smell ya fischy. Sounders is a classic, simple, excellent name. Impact is a lame name dreamed up in some marketing lab. At least give us a name with some French Canadian heritage. Trappeurs? Baptistes? Real Montreal? (kidding on that last one)

Posted by: EssEff | May 7, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"Impact is a stupid name for a professional soccer team that plays outdoors."

You do know why they have that name, right?

Because the spelling, pronunciation and meaning are the same in both French and English.

And it's certainly no dumber than Real Salt Lake, which is the leader in the clubhouse.

Posted by: very_clever_username | May 7, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Don't you hate when countries copy others' naming conventions? Like how the Bundesliga copies the US?

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Crew is also pretty bad. Their logo doesn't help.

Thank the Big Man DC did not end up the Spies, as I understand MLS considered.

I think Fire is fine, for Chicago.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 7, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

@reignking
The Euro snoby quebecqua do not tailgate. They hang out at bistros or wine bars before games and then do a fan march to the stadium. And if they did tailgate all they would have would be a baquette and some soft smelly cheese on a blanket by their bikes.
Seriously though, Canadians don't seem to tailgate like we do. I went to a TFC game @BMO and there really was no tailgating. most people take public transit to the games. There are street car and commuter train stops less than a pitch length from the stadium. There are bars a few blocks from the stadium that are jam packed before the game and about 30min before kick off everyone empties out and marches to the stadium. The expirience of marching to the stadium is awesome.

Posted by: jjfooty | May 7, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

What did Montreal name a park after Brian Maisonneuve?

Posted by: Kenobi | May 7, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

"Why", not "What". And I've had plenty of coffee today, too.

Posted by: Kenobi | May 7, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Very clever makes a good point. Under Quebec law, all signage must be in French and English, and the French must be twice the size of the English (no, not kidding, there is a special division of the provincial police dedicated to enforcing that law) having the name be both saves them from having to use two logos, one twice the size of the other. Quebec is a weird place.

My question is will all three Canadian clubs now get exceptions to the domestic player requirements, like TFC does?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | May 7, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

What did Montreal name a park after Brian Maisonneuve?

Posted by: Kenobi | May 7, 2010 12:18 PM
--------------------------------------------------------

Just shows what a great soccer city Montreal is...

They even named the stadium after the owner of the soccer team...

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

@Falls Church: Yeah. I very convienently forgot about that name.

As far as the logo goes--Ever since '96 whenever I see that logo, the very first thoughtthat always come to mythe first thought it is missing a policeman, naval office, biker a cowboy and an indian.

"Not that there is anything wrong with that. Nooo. Nothing at all."

With a name like the Crew and that logo I can almost forgive their supporters group for wanting to name themseleves the Hudson Street Hooligans and running so much smack when you visist their lovely stadium as a visiting team supporter.

Almost.

A lot of them do talk a lot of smack and try to flex an awful lot but hey, they won a cup and the Bob's Big Boy type restuarant that is so close to that beautiful satdium complex is very, very cool so you gotta take the good with the bad.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 7, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

If they keep expanding, my 40 yr old dream of being a pro soccer player may not be dead just yet.

I, for one, cannot wait to go to Montreal to see DCU play. What a great city!!

Posted by: marksman37 | May 7, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

It's probably too cold to tailgate. They probably walk through underground tunnels to get there, too.

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

They have summer.....from about July 3rd thru July 23rd. Hopefully the schedule works out for us.

Posted by: marksman37 | May 7, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Where the heck is Rand-al-Thor when you need him?

For your love, for your love
When I think about those months in Montreal
I get the sweet stars from you and me
Memories of love above the city lights
Oh trust so hard to take it
But in all my heart won't make it
I just wanna stop and tell you wanna feel about you babe
I just wanna stop and I never wanna live without you babe
I just wanna stop for your love

I JUST WANNA STOP - 1978
GINO VANNELLI

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 7, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

So in a league where Alan Gordon is starting for the best team in the league, we're expanding by 3 teams in the next 2 years?

When is the quality actually going to be improved? 2025? Do I have to stop drinking so I can be sure to live long enough to see the day?

Hyperbole aside, I've thought MLS is expanding too fast for awhile now. Adding 3 teams in short order on top of a league that's too thin as it is is a bad idea. I'd much rather see MLS focus on getting better, not bigger.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 7, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Finally, a stadium that will sell poutines at the concession stand!!!!
Posted by: IamAM | May 7, 2010 11:40 AM

_____________________________________

Good to see someone else whose first thought is...poutine!

Posted by: DCB23 | May 7, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I would even say better (name) than Cosmos.

Posted by: yankiboy
---------------------

"Cosmos" is a classic name -- American and yet international. I've always loved the name and still hope that someday it will reemerge with a real NYC-based team.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | May 7, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

The rush to expansion hardly improves the quality on the pitch. Three new teams by 2012? MLS kahunas better increase the budget in order to get more young foreign footballers who have talent and football sense, the latter a rare commodity in the present MLS world of ping-pong turnovers.

Posted by: juke2 | May 7, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

@Chest: Word.

Who was asking where they tailgate? In the freaking bioDOME of course!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 8, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse