MLS, Greece, Rossi, Germany, Red Bulls, 6-6

*MLS says it will make a "big" announcement at noon today. Expansion to Montreal? [UPDATE: Two-hour delay, now 2 p.m. It's not expansion.]

*The Greek league playoff matches, including AEK Athens hosting Aris with Americans Freddy Adu and Eddie Johnson, have been postponed because of civil unrest sparked by the country's economic turmoil.

*ESPN the Magazine's Jeff Bradley visits with Giuseppe Rossi, the New Jersey-born midfielder who plays for Spanish club Villarreal and is in contention to make Italy's World Cup squad.

*Germany names the provisional World Cup squad.

*Ze Roberto to the New York Red Bulls?

*Motherwell 6, Hibs 6. Yes, 6-6 -- the highest-scoring match in Scottish Premier League history. "The defending absolutely shocking," the TV announcer said (repeatedly?). Despite missing a penalty, Motherwell came back from a 6-2 deficit in the final 23-plus minutes and drew even in stoppage time on a remarkable strike:

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  May 6, 2010; 10:28 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , Germany , Greece , Italy , MLS , Scotland  | Tags: Giuseppe Rossi, MLS, Scottish Premier League, Soccer, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Early Thursday kickaround
Next: Manchester United coming to America

Comments

Obviously MLS has engineered the Greek economic turmoil to collapse the entire European economy and then purchase the top players on the cheap to establish itself as the best league in the world.

Or maybe China did it.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 6, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm anti-Montreal because I don't like Saputo and it is one less opportunity for Atlanta.

Posted by: Reignking | May 6, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Yup, it's Montreal.

Posted by: Reignking | May 6, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Germany almost doing what Italy did in 2006 -- all but one player plays domestically (Ballack/Chelsea).

Posted by: Reignking | May 6, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Too bad the penalty was missed. A five-goal comeback to win the game would have been so much more satisfying.

Posted by: BooThisMan | May 6, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

No 270, I'm totally certain it was Goldman Sachs. They are responsible for all the evil in the world. Or maybe it was Halliburton.

Here's an interesting fact: The retirement age for public pension in Greece is 50 for women and 55 for men.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 6, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Don't know if this has already been posted, and I know we hate the Sounders about last summer, but this is pretty awesome: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011740342_electronboy30m.html

Posted by: zimbar | May 6, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Wait, they have playoffs in Greece? How un-Euro.

Posted by: very_clever_username | May 6, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Montreal, eh? Isn't the MLS talent pool a little thin to be stretching out anymore?

Posted by: rademaar | May 6, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

zimbar, thank you for posting the Electron Boy story. It is awesome.

Kudos to the Sounders.

Posted by: malatestiano | May 6, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Montreal is a GREAT market for MLS. The franchise will do well, and also really help propel the game forward in Canada.

Posted by: nairbsod | May 6, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I just wanted to thank Don Garber for making MLS the NHL of soccer with all the Canadien teams. I guess Ottawa is next on the list for expansion. I wonder if Garber loves Celine Dion as well. Maybe she can sing Oh Canada at the MLS All-Star Game so that I can puke up a hockey puck. In the words of the great Terrence and Phillip blame CANADA!

Posted by: no_recess | May 6, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

For the stout few that made the game, we had a good time. I wish I'd known about the early start time before I saw the pre-game thread go up on this blog. Would have really enjoyed the pregame party and specials...especially given later events.

The night was very enjoyable until halftime. I made my way to the carne asada/pupusa grill near the Guinness/Bass.Becks stand with the $5 margaritas (tasty, by the way). Got on the line to get some carne asada to fill my very empty belly, and spent the rest of halftime watching 2 or 3 people actually get served. I'd say this was the stupidest thing I've witnessed at RFK, as one gal was working, making the pupusas. The rest of the crew was trying to figure out something about the cash from the register --- even had a cop come over to stand guard over the situation, while they accomplished nothing.

I don't know what was wrong with the count, but I bet the discrepancy wasn't as big as the sales they lost as person after person peeled off the line. They could have picked any time for this silliness, but chose to do it during the worst possible time. I stuck it out until the teams took the field for the second half. Left a rotten taste in my mouth and serious hunger cramps until I got home 2 hours later.

Posted by: fischy | May 6, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

for all the montreal/canada expansion haters... Garber/MLS/SUM are making the right move... by putting a Team where ticket sales have been proven.

While I might like the Des Moines Menace, let's get real, an MLS team in Des Moines has fail written all over it.. Same goes for most of Florida..

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | May 6, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Wow, the Motherwell fans got their money's worth, no? Sucks for the ones who were pouring out after the first half. Amazing strike for the tying goal,WOW

Posted by: carmines757 | May 6, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: no_recess | May 6, 2010 11:37 AM
------------------------------------------------------------------

WTF?

Actually, there's nothing wrong with being the NHL Of soccer. Compare that to Rossi's calling Manchester United "the Yankees of baseball" -- which got me to snort some coffee.

Kudos to MLS for going after a good market, though late-season games in Montreal will be bone-chilling. I hope MLS is able to grow the Canadian game (or Canadien, if you prefer the French spelling) as it has helped do for the American game. It would be great for CONCACAF. Other than the weather, I just wonder if there's enough Canadian talent to stock all 3 of these Canadian teams. Of course, the lack of decent hockey talent south of the border never stopped the NHL from expanding in the USA, but the MLS has these persnickety roster rules.

Posted by: fischy | May 6, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

via twitter Goff said that today's big news is not re: expansion...

Thoughts?

I'm betting it's to announce the signing of Thierry Henry!

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | May 6, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I'm betting they're going to make a big presentation celebrating the return of professional soccer to Washington, DC.

Posted by: fischy | May 6, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

great point about CanadiAn talent and the domestic player rules Fischy - I started wondering the same thing after watching the TFC v PU match a few weeks back. Unless MLS relaxes that rule, its going to get much worse once there are three clubs sharing the talent pool.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 6, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, maybe MLS is announcing a new stadium in DC.

Posted by: Reignking | May 6, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Gotta be Man U as the MLS all star opponent.

Posted by: andrew23 | May 6, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Montreal news tomorrow.

ManU @all-star game announced today (2pm)

Posted by: Reignking | May 6, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I think MLS saved a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to Geico

Posted by: SexyOffender | May 6, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

RK stole my guess. I've got a feeling that's what it is too.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | May 6, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

@fischy - thanks for the laugh.

Posted by: nairbsod | May 6, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

even though it's not gonna be Canadian expansion, I still have to throw in this little gem courtesy Robin Williams.....

Canada - it's like a loft apartment above a really great party.

Posted by: forpat | May 6, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

It looked to me like the fifth Motherwell goal should have disallowed for strong-arming the goalie, but otherwise, it was a remarkable comeback. The tying goal reminds me of one of Gallardo's for DC United.

Posted by: Brokenbil | May 6, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I think MLS saved a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to Geico.

Right idea, but they're switching to Greyhound, "the official travel partner of MLS... and B-League baseball"...

Posted by: daggar | May 6, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

With Ze Roberto likely headed to NYRB, does that possibly open up things for Henry to head to United?

Posted by: cfrazier91 | May 6, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

@cfrazier -- NYRB are planning to go with 3 DPs, so that's not a sure thing. Also, I'm not sold on the Ze Roberto move this year. With Hamburg not playing in the Cup WInners Cup, it might be a little more likely, but he still has a year on his contract. Barcelona seems prepared to let Henry just walk. I'd be surprised if Hamburg did the same with Ze Roberto. Of course, this is where Red Bull's very deep pockets might help.

Posted by: fischy | May 6, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

No, Red Bull can easily afford to buy the third slot, so they'll have Angel, Henry, and Ze Roberto.

And Joel Lindpere.

United will have ummmm, Hamid and Najar? So they've got the academy going for them, so that's nice.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 6, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

if the 2:00 news is about ManU playing in the All-Star match and this is what constitutes 'big' news then I agree with all the detractors who think MLS is a Mickey Mouse league. How is this relevant to the league and league play?? How is this 'big'?

ManU in the all-star match is ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | May 6, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

@fischy

Rumor is that Hamburg is willing to let Ze Roberto walk, as they're not happy with their finish outside of European qualifying and see Z-Bert as, in the phrase, surplus to needs.

I suppose it isn't impossible that Henry would go to DCU, but since the only source linking him to DC is the Mirror, I wouldn't count on it. I think he's pretty likely NY-bound.

I don't think Red Bull would have a problem springing for Ze Roberto, either. There has to be a reason they were desperately pushing the 3 DP rule. My big concern is that Red Bull will sign him, but for RB Salzberg.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | May 6, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

@bonghits4gomez, as much as I hate them, Man U are the biggest soccer team in the world. Having them play against the best players in our league is a big deal. In the long run, the bigger deal is Montreal to MLS. Hopefully with some hot new stadium pr0n.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | May 6, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Is Angel still a DP? When does his contract expire?

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | May 6, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Fischy,

I've been to that pupusa stand at least a dozen times and have never had a problem with it. I hope it is not a precursor of what to expect from them this season.

No recess,

Not exactly sure where the Canuck venom is coming from but Montreal is a good choice for MLS expansion. The only real question is can the talent pool sustain it.

Posted by: blackandred777 | May 6, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

A 1-5 record and a decrepit stadium are going to make acquiring a DP player extremely difficult. That's assuming that United really has any serious interest in one as well which I have my doubts about.

Posted by: blackandred777 | May 6, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Is Angel still a DP? When does his contract expire?

Yes, and (I think) after the 2011 season.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | May 6, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

CACuzcatlan:

Seriously theyre the biggest team in the world?? wow!!!!!!!BFD!!!!!
so I guess they are gonna make a run for the MLS cup or the Supporters Shield???

It's a big deal to the cats at MLS and SUM who get their pockets full of cash on a meaningless match.

ManU in the All-star match is ZZZZZZZZZZZZ
All-star match is ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | May 6, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

bonghits4gomez, in case you haven't noticed, the league isn't exactly swimming in cash. If you want to see this league continue until it can sustain itself, you'll have to deal with all-star games and other stuff that doesn't directly affect league play or standings.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | May 6, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

CACuzcatlan so let's give the world's largest club more cash!!!
YAY!!!!

I say we do away with the league completely and just have regional teams that take on vacationing euro squads..

YAY!!!!
or only have one team

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | May 6, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey Bong Hitzzz 4 Gomezzzz, calm down with your z's. and your !!!!!'s, and your and your ????'s.

As was once written on this blog, ALL CAPS WILL GET YOU NOWHERE.

Posted by: WorldCup | May 6, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Where the heck is this announcement?

Posted by: cfrazier91 | May 6, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't ManU have a huge debt?

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | May 6, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

WorldCup

you do as you wish, i'm gonna roll the way I want.

If you hate it.. don't read it!!!!

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | May 6, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Brilliant theory I-270--the European financial crisis has been engineered by MLS to make foreign talent more affordable! That is a conspiracy on the order of the the trilateral commission itself--I like it! Perhaps, however, judging by today's NY Stock Exchange plunge, it is MLS tickets that will be LESS affordable and this is all part of football and baseball's effort to snuff out pro soccer in the States!

Posted by: lovinliberty | May 6, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Man the story about Rossi is entirely bitter sweet. I know the boy is Italian from roots up, but how awesome it would have been if he decided to go with the USA. We really need his offensive threat and Italy really doesn't. Shame...

Posted by: elfelixg | May 6, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse