Freedom subdues Independence

Think about that headline for a moment. A strong challenger to the early MLS matchups between the Revolution and Mutiny, and Fire and Burn.

First-half goals by Rebecca Moros and Abby Wambach propelled the Washington Freedom to a 2-1 victory over the Philadelphia Independence in front of 3,762 at Maryland SoccerPlex. The Freedom (4-2-1) is unbeaten in four straight to move into second place in Women's Professional Soccer, two points behind Gold Pride (5-2), which will host Washington on Saturday night in the Bay Area.

By Steve Goff  |  May 31, 2010; 8:57 AM ET
Categories:  Freedom , Women  | Tags: Abby Wambach, WPS, Washington Freedom
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA-Turkey rewind
Next: Reaction in England as World Cup nears

Comments

All the fans must hve been on the shady side, because I could count the ones facing the camera.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 31, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 31, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

someone else also mentioned it previously, but the blue camo was a good touch.

Posted by: nairbsod | May 31, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 31, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Yes--the shady side (not in view of the cameras) was relatively full, while the sunny side and the hill were more sparsely attended. Good, but warm, game.

Posted by: Jedi65 | May 31, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Shady side was packed. Even I was sitting on that side for most of the first half despite having cheap tickets. ;)

Posted by: kevinwparker | May 31, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

A "professional foul" earns Huffman a crack in the nose . . . . I wonder if we saw more of that, the game would clean up, or just degenerate . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | May 31, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I had a few comments about the beer garden, etc. in the previous thread. Anyone who is interested should go there. (I still find it intriguing that people can get Flying Dog and Dogfish Head products for the same price as Bud Light ($5), and I am even more intrigued that a fair number of people opt for the Bud Light under those conditions.)

Tuesday rebroadcasts on CSN (at noon) and FSC (at 5:00 p.m.):

Posted by: universityandpark | May 31, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

@UP -- I believe Sundhage also looked at Whitehill on the corner. She is obviously much faster this year than last; I wonder how her speed compares now to pre-ACL.

Sundhage has quite a few options at center back, especially if Rampone and Markgraf can come back. At the corners not as many.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 31, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Soccer America reports that Australia has defeated North Korea for the Asian championship, and that Japan, by grabbing third place, knocked China out of next year's WWC. One of the goals was scored our very own Sawa-san. She and the sheila should be back in action for the Freedom on Saturday.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 31, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | May 31, 2010 4:03 PM
__________________________________________

Interesting. Of course, Whitehill didn't get off the bench in any capacity (center or corner) against Germany.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 31, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I was sitting on the "sunny side," and as an Army retiree, I was both moved and thankful for all of the Memorial Day tributes throughout the match. The Freedom look a lot more aggressive (in a good way) this year than last year, and they're playing much more consistently throughout the heat. Last year, it seemed like they wilted in the later part of the second half. This looks to be a great season.

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | June 1, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

FREEDOM--NUMBER TWO IN THE NATION! The blog is nice, but couldn't THE POST actually run a story--with pictures. Go, Freedom!

Posted by: ladyjudgeb | June 1, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

She and the sheila should be back in action for the Freedom on Saturday.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 31, 2010 4:43 PM

_____________________________________

Lisa De Vanna broke her fibula in one of the qualifiers. She's out for at least three months.

Posted by: kevinwparker | June 1, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Agree that WaPo should have a full story with pictures of WASHINGTON"S WINNING SOCCER TEAM-GO FREEDOM!! It was an awsome game.So glad to see Abby and Rebecca get goals!!

Posted by: lsf07 | June 1, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse