Friday kickaround

*The long-awaited announcement of Montreal as the next MLS expansion club, starting play in 2012, will take place at 10 a.m. ET. Montreal's entry will bring the league total to 19. Who gets No. 20? Atlanta? Florida? A second New York area team?

*The Post profiles Centreville High School's Jenna Richmond, a U.S. under-20 national team midfielder considered the No. 1 recruit in the country.

*Mexico's U.S. tour, sponsored by MLS marketing arm Soccer United Marketing, continues tonight against Ecuador before a sellout crowd at the new Meadowlands stadium. "It's a privilege to be in these stadiums," Mexico captain Gerardo Torrado said, "because they're monsters."

*On a much smaller scale, soccer will christen a new stadium in Kennesaw, Ga., on Sunday when the WPS' Atlanta Beat hosts Sky Blue.

*England midfielder Gareth Barry, a regular in Fabio Capello's lineup, is in jeopardy of missing the World Cup -- another potential setback to the English preparations.

For FIFA news, the U.S. Open Cup calendar and Americans abroad.....

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

*FIFA has outlined plans to release the World Cup preliminary rosters next week. The Americans are tentatively scheduled to unveil their list of 30, as well as the training camp roster of 26 to 28 players, on Tuesday.

*The dates are set for MLS teams in the U.S. Open Cup:
June 29 -- Round of 16 (eight MLS teams)
July 6-7 -- Quarterfinals
Aug. 31-Sept. 1 -- Semifinals
Oct. 5 -- Final

*Americans abroad:
MF Benny Feilhaber 79 minutes in Aarhus' 2-1 loss to Sonderjyske
MF Alejandro Bedoya 90 (assist) in Orebro's 2-1 loss at Helsingborg

By Steve Goff  |  May 7, 2010; 8:42 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Americans Abroad , Canada , England , MLS , Mexico , Preps , U.S. Open Cup , Women  | Tags: FIFA, Fabio Capello, Gareth Barry, Major League Soccer, Montreal, Soccer, U.S. Open Cup, WPS, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend soccer TV listings
Next: Details of MLS expansion to Montreal

Comments

Is the game at the Meadowlands on TV?

I don't see why NY would get another MLS team when they don't even have enough support for one team.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 7, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Not worried about what city gets No. 20, its going to be a while until that materializes into anything other than arguments between Miami/Atlanta/NY2 by blog readers.

Posted by: swampdogoh | May 7, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to Montreal -- they have a deep-pocketed owner and a stadium solution, and a seemingly-built-in fan base. Right now, you can't find that anywhere else. I still want to see teams in Atlanta and St. Louis, but they are riskier.

NY2? I can't believe that will happen. Yes, they don't have the support there now (blah blah blah it's in Jersey, I get it, so get in your car or train and go) but expanding the footprint / fanbase and making this a truly national league has to be on the top of the list. Or, if you can find another 30k city like Seattle.

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Funny how Montreal's deeppocketed owner was trashing MLS just a few years back about it's economic model and how it cost too much. See the "miracle" in TO with TFC sure changed that tune.

Then he wanted a "discount" to get into MLS. Which was pretty funny.

I will be curious to see how Saputo and company do now that they won't be run as an official non-profit and they won't be comping as many tickets to their fans as they did in the not so distant past (word is that as they have prepared to make the move they have been weeing their fan base off the comps that they used to hand out by the fistfulls...

Not sure if Gillette is still involved in the bid. I'm very curios about that and the future of the NASL since Montreal and Vancouver where the two very powerful agitants in the USL-1 civil war.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 7, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see a team in Queens. The NY-NJ rivalry would be good for the league. I bet there are enough fans in Brooklyn, Queens and Long Island that don't go to Red Bulls games who would support the new team.

When I hear Atlanta as a candidate, I think of Dallas 2.0: suburban stadium, poor attendance, zero passion for the game. Any chance I could be wrong? :-)

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | May 7, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------
@RK1: As much as I disagree about your take on Montreal ownership (until i find about about the Gillette or similar Daddy Warbuks type involvement), I am 100% with you on the NY2 deal.

You can call them the Cosmos if (you can get the rights off that guy). You can put the team in Queens or Brooklyn. You can market the hell out of them as the "anti-Red Bulls". You can point to LA and say "see it can be done".

All that ain't gonna change a thing: It ain't gonna work and I would suspect that anyone who truly believes that it can work must be on the pipe.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 7, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

"Built as a public-private partnership between the Atlanta Beat and Kennesaw State University, the new stadium will also host the university’s women’s soccer team in the fall season."

--Well, I guess it's not relevant for United, since there are no universities around here. Certainly none with the financial horsepower of Kennesaw State University.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 7, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

@yankiboy
'weeing their fan base off' is an interesting tactic. It was first perfected by Daniel Snyder.

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 7, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I hope Saputo had to pay 60MM.

Miles: on the stadium, you could be right. I don't want to rehash all of the possibilities here. Relatively, though, that would be like putting a stadium in Alpharetta, and I don't see anything like that happening (that's too far to realistically consider).

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Hey nineteen teams in MLS.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 7, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

As a Villa fan, I'm trying REALLY hard to care about Barry and feel bad for his injury but the best I can come up with is...meh.

As an American, I'm now worried about Capello sticking Milner in CM, because he is an upgrade over Barry.

Posted by: daandre3 | May 7, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

yanki: you don't think Saputo is deep-pocketed?

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I'd love a team here. The most talked about stadium location would be right inside the perimeter and next door to a Marta stop. There's a large Hispanic population in that area, the Atlanta sports council has done a great job keeping us in the world cup bid, and 50,000+ last year for Milan-America, with a largely diverse crowd, tells me there's at least a curiousity with soccer. Also, most transplants don't already have a soccer team to follow, I'd bet, so there's less concern with that as there is other sports. The biggest sport down here is easily college football, which most prefer for the atmosphere, something my experience tells me only soccer games can match, so I think people could get behind it for that.

That said, I don't see it happening.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 7, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Jacob: good stuff. I'm beginning to think that our biggest problem might be that, although we are a very large city, MLS doesn't want us on an island. Bringing the entire NW in at one time was either blind luck or great planning (or a bit of both).

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Interesting photo floating around between Ibrahimovic and Pique...it's on elmundo.es if you are curious.

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

The profile of Jenna Richmond is very cool.

And if club, college and national team coaches can abide a player of her caliber playing high school soccer -- "because it's fun" -- then I think many many pushy parents and club coaches in the DC area should pay attention to that and back off.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 7, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Games in New York, Chicago, Houston, Mexico City, then . "at England on May 24, the Netherlands in Freiberg, Germany, two days later and closes its World Cup warmup schedule against Italy on June 3 in Brussels"

Sounds like the Tri are trying to kill its players with travel before the Cup even starts. They are getting to South Africa only a week before they play the host nation. I might bet on an early out for them.

Posted by: delantero | May 7, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Slackers in Montreal couldn't get their stuff together. Presser at 1030 now.

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Why don't they use the new stadium the Silverbacks built few years ago? When are the Silverbacks coming back? Great support for them huh?

Posted by: Charisma_Man | May 7, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

@RK1: Having money and be willing to spend money are two very different things (just ask any Pittsburgh Pirate or LA Clippers fan about that one).

The Impact have been officially run as a non-profit and had a huge subsidy from the provincial government. A few years back, it was reported that he had to increase the salary of players under contract because the team found itself in the "black" and needed to maintain it's nonprofit status.

The guy's family has money, and while i have not made it to Estade Saputo yet, I have seen it on the tizzzube and have friend who have been to it. It is small but they only have nice things to say about it (the guys that i know that have played on it aren't that crazy about the artificial turf but hey--that's life).

Posted by: yankiboy | May 7, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Saputo was just practicing good business sense. He was trying to get into the league for the cheapest price possible so lobbed grenades, then asked for money off, and finally settled on a deal. I hope for him, Montreal is truly a viable option and not just a pipe dream like Miami (Fusion).

I think having the big 3 Canadian teams in MLS will help both the league and Canada. Also, our bid to annex the 51st state will go much smoother now that we have captured the sports fans :-)

@Jacob - My travels in the south have lead me to believe there is a strong anti-soccer crowd there. While there is support for the world's biggest teams, the day to day action of a league would be sneered at and largely ignored by the media. Even in multi-cultural DC, we still have sports casters calling us "The United". I mean, we've only been around for 15 years.

You saw it here first: San Diego will be the 20th team.

Posted by: SoccerVA | May 7, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

charisma: too small (expandable to 15k suppsoedly, but there's just nowhere for roads or parking IMO), next year, ok for USL

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

The Kennesaw Mountain stadium article mentions "soccer-specific sightlines" what are those? Are rugby or lacrosse players invisible on that field? Do they have soccer-specific concessions and restrooms too?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 7, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Anti-soccer crowd? Are they going to protest?:)

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I posted Totti's awful hack yesterday -- apparently he was also shouting racist remarks at the player, too.

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"The Kennesaw Mountain stadium article mentions "soccer-specific sightlines" what are those? ""

It means one lucky fan gets to be tethered to a swing line above the field.

Posted by: delantero | May 7, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Ricardo Clark signs three-year contract extension.

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

if there were a stadium in Queens then it would be packed. I'm a DC ex-pat that lives in Brooklyn, and it is insane how ridiculous it was to go to the Meadowlands to see United when they were playing up here. It is actually less headache to take the train down and go see a game at RFK than it was to get to Meadowlands on public transportation. I don't know if it's possible to express how painful that was to someone that hasn't gone through it, even after dealing with DC area traffic for 10 years myself.

I'm glad it's so much easier to take the PATH train to Harrison now, but they've lost so much of their fan base that they're clearly a NJ team. See hockey - anyone who lives in NYC who isn't a Rangers fan is an Islanders fan; I can't imagine any New Yorkers bring themselves to root for the Devils.

Right around me there are two new soccer bars, that are full of people on Saturday mornings who don't want to go into Manhattan to Nevada Smith's. There is definitely the fan base in NYC that would support a real NYC team.

Posted by: joe_hill | May 7, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

It means one lucky fan gets to be tethered to a swing line above the field.
Posted by: delantero
=========

Kennesaw Mountain Daredevil?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 7, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

It means one lucky fan gets to be tethered to a swing line above the field.
Posted by: delantero
=========
Kennesaw Mountain Daredevil?
Posted by: I-270Exit1

You git yer choice of red, white, and blue, sparkly-starred helmet or a Stars and Bars.

Call it the Rebel Yell.

Posted by: delantero | May 7, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | May 7, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

May I ask why do you think that?

Posted by: Atlanta4MLS | May 7, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Charisma_Man
-------------------------------------------
That stdium is way to small. 6.5K.
As far as the Silverbacks go, they had a decent base of fans. It wasn't big but they were not the problem. Boris the owner didn't invest a lot in advertising. he built the stadium (and big credit to him for that). It didn't have toilets and it lacked a paved road and the other basics that you need when it opened. Who the hell wants to use pay money to a game and have to use a port-a-potty when you have to go?

Posted by: yankiboy | May 7, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I've always been intrigued with the idea of a Brooklyn MLS club. But it might be tough to build a stadium there (ask the Nets). It's a borough with a ton of pride and marketing cache. I can't imagine the execs at Red Bull GmbH would be too thrilled with the idea though.

Queens? Long Island? Meh.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 7, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: yankiboy
=========

Freedom fans in the East stands.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 7, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

is there any place in North Carolina thats every seriously talked about for expansion? it seems like there is enough of a soccer culture down there to support a team, though it would clearly be more the suburban soccer family crowd than the TFC/Seattle type fan base.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 7, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

the only conceivable place in brooklyn that i can think of to put a stadium would be in coney island near the cyclones stadium. that would be just as far for people to get to as queens for most people though.

Posted by: joe_hill | May 7, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

@delantero -- It isn't just the distance. Yes, the PATH train gets you to the Harrison stop even more quickly than I can get from Bethesda to Metro Center, and I still have to change trains for a ride out to RFK. That really isn't the heart of the argument for a NYC-based team.

New York, as has been said in song, is a state of mind -- and New Jersey ain't in it. The Nets and Devils have had strong periods, but they never got the coverage that the Rangers and Knicks get. That's why the Nets are moving to Brooklyn. On a Saturday night or a Sunday afternoon, people from all over the area will cross over bridges and tunnels from Westchester and Long Island, and even the city, to go to a New Jersey stadium, for the right events (see Giants and Jets). If you want to latch on to the urban vibe, with corporate boxes and rocking seats for the masses -- filled on a weeknight -- ya gotta be in the city.

It would have made more sense to move NYRB into the city, but land is a lot cheaper in Jersey. Plus, as noted by Joe Hill, they're a suburban Jersey team now.

There are vast numbers of immigrants in Brooklyn and Queens -- probably bigger than the metro market size for DC -- who aren't served by a Jersey team. It's a long ride, with many, many stops, to downtown Manhattan, just to catch another train to Jersey. And, these are people who are working very long hours to afford their American dream. Their team needs to be in Brooklyn or Queens.

It would be good for the Red Bulls because local media -- and local fans -- might not notice a game between NYRB and and San Jose, but they'll take notice when the two local teams play their clasico.

What MLS is really hoping, though, is that saturating the NY market floats all boats -- and not just the ones in the NY metro area. It's about being taken seriously by the media center of this country. For pro sports to make in in the USA, they had to make it in NY first. Maybe that isn't as important in the 21st Century as it was in the 20th -- as network TV has lost cachet, advertising moves to the internet, and newspapers and magazines become less relevant -- but MLS is thinking it's still the path to success.

That's why Garber wants NYC for the 20th team -- that, and the fact that a team in New York City is probably more attractive to foreign players and foreign investors than a team in Atlanta or St. Louis, or even in New Jersey.

Maybe, I'm biased for having grown up in a close-in New York suburb (that happens to made fun of in "Hey Nineteen", but MLS and Don Garber shares my bias on this one.

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Botch on the turf. It is not artificial. Is is grass. The beef from some of the players is that it sort of clumped and came up a bit sort of in strips.

The artificial one that I had it confused with was Remax/Silverbacks park in the ATL.

My bad.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 7, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I'd bet against NY for the 20th team, just because there's no place to play now and getting a new stadium built in New York is not an easy thing...even if it's basically where Shea Stadium used to be. Still, Garber wants it, and he's gonna try and make it happen. If not #20, then soon thereafter.

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy

That's a good point.

Unless they like hip-hop / R&B, and Atlanta has that covered. Sure. Elton John is here, too!

I just can't get by the idea that there are so many fans/cities in the huuuge country that don't have a team that one city could have 2. Yeah, LA, move Chivas.

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@Kev -- Brooklyn may be cooler than Queens, but it makes less sense. Queens is where most of those soccer-mad immigrants live. It's also readily accessible to all those suburban Long Island soccer-playing families (the LIRR stops right next to the probable site), and much more accessible to those soccer-playing families in Westchester (and lots of Mexican immigrants there) than either Brooklyn or New Jersey.

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Botch on the turf @ Saputo in my previous post: It is not artificial. Is is grass. The beef from some of the players is that it sort of clumped and came up a bit sort of in strips.

My bad.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 7, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of the stadium formerly known as Remax.

hey, if you live in the ATL, like you some Dos Equis XX and wanna get your kickball on, ya can:

Posted by: yankiboy | May 7, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF - interesting catch on that Richmond story. My kids aren't old enough for me to be much aware of the alternatives to high school soccer, yet; you're saying the "pushy" parents would want their child on a club travel team at that age, instead?

And I wonder if the best players all abandon rec soccer for travel soccer at an early age. I'd like to think rec soccer two seasons a year could still prepare kids well -- provided they are playing at least with their friends in the off-seasons.

I lived abroad in a soccer country and the kids there seemed to be developing their skills just fine without travel soccer, just by playing all the time. But then again they did play all the time.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 7, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

"Who gets No. 20? Atlanta? Florida? A second New York area team?"

Is St. Louis totally out?

Also liked the article on Jenna Richmond, and looking forward to release of World Cup player rosters.

Posted by: WorldCup | May 7, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

@World Cup, it's all about the dollahs.

When St. Loius can cup up with the ca$h then they will move up on the list of cities being considered.

And, MLS is holding St. Louis to a higher standard. They seem to ask St. Louis for a soccer specific stadium when other places like Seattle got a pass on that one because the ownership group had other resources and capital in their portfolio to make them a "sexy" pick.

St. Louis apparently doesn't have that (yet).

Posted by: yankiboy | May 7, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 7, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree more. As I said yesterday we are also the only metropolitan area in the country that has dealt with the recession. The others that got these SSS deals done didn't have to deal with the recession. It didn't affect them. ;)

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 7, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

“This is the only women’s soccer-specific stadium of this size in the world,” Atlanta Beat Chairman T. Fitz Johnson said

Unfortunately this facility is a female soccer specific venue so even if expanded it would be unsuitable MLS. The signs over the entry ways stating "Boys are Yucky" will deemed mandatory by the wealthy female donors that made this facility possible.

Posted by: csd1 | May 7, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

will = were

Gambrills, Unfortunately it seems like the colleges in the DC area already have suitable facilities.

Posted by: csd1 | May 7, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

csd1,

I hear you but I am basically taking a shot at the management of the whole SSS process thus far. Maybe it could've been a little better.......

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 7, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Fact is that MLS has ZERO presence in the Southeast. Zero. That has to weigh heavily on Garber's mind and is something that should play into Atlanta's favor. This is supposed to be a national league yet a quarter of the country is 400 miles or more away from an MLS market.

Now, it's not the only consideration. Certainly, a strong owner with a stadium plan in St. Louis or NYC could be #20, but all other things being equal, I think there is no question that Atlanta should have the team.

Posted by: Atlanta4MLS | May 7, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Goff, is Vegas still in the running at all? They had a strong investment group at one point but it seemed like they put their tails between their legs for whatever reason and I haven't heard anything from or about them in well over a year (at least that is how long it seems to me).

I would love a team here and I know that Vegas would support it at least as well as other teams in the league, but I don't know if we would match Seattle's attendance; that has been really impressive.

Posted by: elopingcamel | May 7, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: csd1 | May 7, 2010 1:23 PM
__________________________________________

Really? Only Maryland and GMU have venues that are even close to what Kennesaw State now has, let alone an MLS-class SSS.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 7, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

@fallschurch -- at HS age, there are elite club coaches who are of the opinion that their players should not play HS soccer because the training is inferior, bad habits might be picked up, and the chance of injury is greater because there is a less skillful style of play, sometimes compensated for with undue aggression. Some parents also subscribe to this view.

But by and large, with few exceptions, the kids all play HS anyway -- because, as the article said, "it's fun." And when a kid can't play soccer when and for whom they want to play, because it's fun, then . . . why are they playing? Or, are they actually working?

Anyway, the youth soccer boards are full of rants pro & con on this issue.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 7, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Kennesaw State's facility got money because they are looking at starting a football team.

Why would colleges give a crap about an MLS-class SSS unless it helped them fill an immediate need. I was referring to Howard and Georgetown that both have facilities that can handle their athletic department needs.

Gambrills4, I understand your frustration. I am in Atlanta and I accepted many years ago that Atlanta is a crap sports town and I have never felt they deserved an MLS team. Of course we all support our local club Columbus (Ohio) down here. Being the closest at about 550 miles we feel very close. If St Louis gets a club it will be hard to figure out who to support since they are only 550 miles away also. Nothing more fun that to get the family in the car and drive for 18 hours round trip to support your local club. It was nice of Columbus to put their stadium on the south side.

Posted by: csd1 | May 7, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________________

They, as well as AU and GWU, might be receptive to an upgrade. Maybe AU can come up with wealthy donors like the ones who financed their upgraded indoor facilities some years back. There is no harm in exploring the possibilities.

BTW, the Crew's stadium is three miles north of downtown Columbus.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 7, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse