Goodson's rise, Baltimore friendly, D.C. United

*Clarence Goodson, who grew up in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, was never invited to junior national teams and, at one point, withdrew from college because of academic problems. But he has quietly made a name for himself in the modest Norwegian league and, amid backline issues on the U.S. national team, seems to have a strong case to make the World Cup roster. The story with photos will appear in Saturday's print edition but is available online now.

*The Baltimore friendly is now official: Manchester City vs. Inter Milan on July 31 at M&T Bank Stadium. Tickets will go on sale Wednesday and range in price from $25 to $115. See the Baltimore Ravens' Web site for details.

*According to Comcast SportsNet/DC's listings, the D.C. United-AC Milan friendly Wednesday will be shown live.

*Attend the USA-Turkey friendly in Philadelphia on the afternoon of May 29 and the United-Chivas USA match at RFK Stadium that evening? The Screaming Eagles have a plan.

By Steve Goff  |  May 21, 2010; 2:52 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Americans Abroad , TV , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: AC Milan, Clarence Goodson, D.C. United, Inter Milan, Manchester City, U.S. national team, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United news & notes
Next: Weekend kickaround

Comments

Great piece, awesome piece, best of luck to Goodson and . . . Joe Doc rocks!

"Joe showed me that skill kills."

I am immediately sending this to every youth coach I know.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 21, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 21, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Rand getting some shine. Very Cool.

AC/DC on Comcast? Shucks, I guess I'll have to watch then.:)
Too bad it won't be so easy for an away league match on Saturday evening... :(

Nice to see the SE's stepping it up. Just a shame they didn't get this lined up months ago when the tickets started selling like hot cakes.
I tried!
We'll be with the Outaws for this one, and I'm thinking the vuvuzela is going to be in FULL EFFECT!!!

Happy Post Goff! Thanks!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 21, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan - we did get the trip lined up a while ago, we're getting a fourth bus because the first three are full. The parking-at-RFK thing is what's new, and we couldn't get that done without agreement from other parties.

Posted by: gocaps2 | May 21, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

dadryan...
what are you talking about?

the SE's have had this organized since when the tickets went on sale...

say what you want about the SE's support of DCU but they are an organized bunch when it comes to selling USMNT ticket packages...

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | May 21, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

"Skill kills." Who knew our very own Joe Doc was producing Jack Bauer clones on the soccer fields of Northern VA?

Posted by: dcarmy | May 21, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I wondered if that was Joe Doc when I read the article...now I need to keep a lookout on opposing sidelines!

Posted by: troy6 | May 21, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

@gocaps&bonghits, I don't mean to contradict you but I inquired about tickets through Nicole in February and her response at the time was that they hadn't set anything up yet. It wasn't a diss, it was me saying that had they set something up, even just an opportunity to reserve tickets with the group when they went on sale to the public I would have gladly bought tickets with them. We had a great time in their section for the Costa Rica Qualifier in October of 09 and I was chomping at the bit to get into their section in Philly as well...Alas!

I searched my email, and her response was dated February 23rd. I had to pull the trigger and buy from AO because ticket master sucks and it seemed like the lower bowl seating in my price range had already sold out.

Again, it was no diss, I was just impatient. Still looking forward to the match and tailgate. I'm sure we'll try to post up nearby the folks from DC. We've got a full car load headed up.

Vamos Estados Unidos!
Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 21, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

And BTW bonghits, if you're going up there this might be a good opportunity for some of us who haven't met before to break bread?

And all you Argy Bargy mofos don't forget to make your last tweaks for the Champions League final.

There can only be one... :)

Posted by: DadRyan | May 21, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like fun. Ill be at home on the couch with a soda for the usmnt game, and in attendance for the dc game. Vamos United x2

Posted by: g3impreza | May 21, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

wo thanks dadryan (although I forgot last time)

Posted by: Reignking | May 21, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Clarence has had some great coaching over the years, with me well at the bottom of the list. I do remember our team motto: "Skill Kills." They were doing scissors and Cruyff cuts before they were "cool." They had a lot of fun with it. Clarence had some great teammates: Abe Thompson, Shawn Kuykendall, David Stokes... and Gene Mishalow gets the credit for taking talented players and making a great team.

I can't believe Clarence is 28 and married! I started coaching him when he was nine. Man, I'm getting old...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 21, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

See, all we have to do to get our name in Steve's article is coach a future national teamer. I'm going to push the U8s harder - two-a-days and suicide sprints followed by weight lifting.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 21, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

yep, my kids are going to have the practices from hades. the u-11s were doing scissors, now I'm making the u-8s as well. and weight lifting. anyone know a gym where they will let me bring second graders?

Posted by: troy6 | May 21, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Baltimore: We know how to host soccer. C'mon DC United, you know you want to switch. Just say the word and that waterfront stadium is yours!

Vamos Mid-Atlantic United! ;-)

Posted by: nairbsod | May 21, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

and Crystal Palace Baltimore: we know how to waste time! Two men go down at the same time for cramps! ha!

Posted by: nairbsod | May 21, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

"According to Comcast SportsNet/DC's listings, the D.C. United-AC Milan friendly Wednesday will be shown live."

Shown live on the DCU website?

;)

Posted by: redskinsux | May 21, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I started coaching him when he was nine. Man, I'm getting old... Posted by: Rand-al-Thor

Joe Doc . . any relation to the Al Dougherty's? Did you happen to play for the Braddock Road Monarchs?

Posted by: delantero | May 21, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey Delantero,

Al Dougherty was my dad. My brother played on the Monarchs. I'm a bit... ahem, older.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 21, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

News from St. Louis (thanks to Soccer America for the link):

Note the (ominous) reference to CP Ballmer embedded in the article.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 21, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Documentary about Ferenc Puskas (or Puskas Ferenc, if you are a true Magyar) at the Magyar Embassy on Tuesday:

I think that admission is free, but I'm not sure. If you plan to attend, an RSVP (see bottom of page) is essential, for security reasons.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 21, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Small world! Looks like I played with your little brother . . . a long, long time ago.

He had a wicked left foot.

Posted by: delantero | May 21, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse