Manchester United coming to America

Manchester United has finalized plans to play four preseason matches on a North American tour this summer. It will be the club's first visit here in six years. All games will be staged at large venues.

July 16: vs. Celtic at Rogers Centre (SkyDome) in Toronto

July 21: vs. Philadelphia Union at Lincoln Financial Field (NFL)
(Union will move its league match at Colorado scheduled for that date)

July 25: vs. Kansas City Wizards at Arrowhead Stadium (NFL)

July 28: vs. MLS All-Stars at Houston's Reliant Stadium (NFL)

Awaiting word on the proposed Celtic-Rangers match at Fenway Park, a possible Rangers visit to Cowboys Stadium in Dallas to play Club America, and Baltimore's bid for a summer friendly (Manchester City vs. Roma?).

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  May 6, 2010; 2:08 PM ET
Categories:  England , MLS  | Tags: Kansas City Wizards, MLS, Major League Soccer, Manchester United, Philadelphia Union, Toronto FC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS, Greece, Rossi, Germany, Red Bulls, 6-6
Next: Weekend soccer TV listings

Comments

Is that the big news? Best news in there is that Roma may be coming to Baltimore.

Posted by: torrey151 | May 6, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Yawn. Somehow I just don't really care about overpriced tickets to see guys in pre-season, second-gear. I'm all for going to see them play during their regular season though in games that matter.

Posted by: nairbsod | May 6, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Kansas City? Really?

Posted by: VTUnited | May 6, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Yes KC, they need to drum up support for the new stadium, this is one sure way to get people's attention. Will be a shame when United smacks them around like a red headed step child though.

Posted by: elfelixg | May 6, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Geez, whey the heck is this big news. Seriously.

Posted by: cfrazier91 | May 6, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Manchester City vs. Roma, huh? That ought kill off the notion that there are huge numbers of fans in Baltimore that will turn out for any top-flight soccer. This isn't AC Milan and Chelsea. There won't be 70,000 there, this time around.

Posted by: fischy | May 6, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

i get that, but will people actually show up to see ManU in KC? like 50K+? Seems like an odd choice when everyone should be looking to maximize $$$, though it isn't clear how they line these things up.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 6, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

@Fischy, im sure atleast a few of those huge baltimore soccer fans will show up for the match thinking they are going to see the club that was the subject of this post.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 6, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

My ARSEnal will not pay to see Man U, Roma nor Celtic unless it's against DC United in the World Club Cup...prolly in December 2011 if we keep our streak!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | May 6, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

This cannot be the big news. I thought it would be something important. I know MLS is still growing, but it bothers me that a "big announcement" is that a team way better than any MLS team is going to be playing games in the US, including one against aNOTHER non-MLS team.

I was hoping for expansion news, a Thierry Henry announcement or a DC United stadium deal.

...ok, I couldn't keep a straight face during the last one.

Posted by: daandre3 | May 6, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

One win does not a streak make.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | May 6, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: elfelixg | May 6, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

How much support do they need at this point? The stadium is under construction and set to open in 2011. Not that I really have anything against KC getting a ManU game because frankly I don't. I simply feel jealousy that another metropolitan area got a stadium deal done. Oh, I forgot the DC area is the only area suffering from the recession. These other metropolitan areas didn't have to deal with the recession issue. It's not like we live in one of the most recession proof areas in the country. :)

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 6, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Will the injury prone Henry be able to manage in the all-too-physical MLS?

Posted by: redskinsux | May 6, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

cmon fischy, Roma/MC will draw pretty well. they may not sell it out, but there are lots of us American-I-talians that may want to see that (at least I will. Roma is my 2nd team behind DCU). I'm sure the Brits will come out as well. However, I don't think all the fans that would come out to those games would support an MLS club. Baltimore and MLS would be a huge mistake.

Posted by: torrey151 | May 6, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

tickets tickets
when do tickets go on sale

Go Man Utd...wooooo

Posted by: Redskins2881 | May 6, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I dunno about 70,000 fischy, but I know I will be there. You should too.

I think it will be fun, plus you'll get an idea how long it will take for you to get to the new "Middle Atlantic United" stadium on 2012.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 6, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

"Will be a shame when United smacks them around like a red headed step child though. " -elfelixg
==========================================

I mean come on people. Lets be nice to redheads. It is bad enough that I can't go outside on sunny days for to long. Do I really need to be made fun on the internet? I am kidding. I myself as a redhead find it hilarious.

As a Man United fan this kind of excites me but I already knew this information. I would rather have been told about Montreal as an expansion team than anything else.

From the last post: I would love to see Ze Reberto come to MLS. Even if it is to NYRB's, I'll accept it. I just enjoy seeing talent in the league. By that logic I also wouldn't cry if they brought in Henry. It would suck though, but I already predicted NYRB's to win MLS a couple of weeks ago based on this logic so I have accepted this fate.

Alright, back to this paper I have about three hours to complete.

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 6, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Roma in Baltimore! I'd be in.

Posted by: patrickneil | May 6, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Re "Mid Atlantic United." Goff, seriously, we need a poll on what the team is called if the stadium is in Baltimore. Simply "United"? "BDC United"? "DCB United"? Other entries? Not that that's where I want the stadium to be, just sayin'.

Posted by: dccal | May 6, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I think we already settled that question. It's Middle Atlantic United, or just "Man U".

Posted by: OWNTF | May 6, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

technically, "MA'n U", but it's pronounced Man U

Posted by: OWNTF | May 6, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I am guessing the first half of the tour travel packages might sell a little better in Manchester. That would be a shame though because I am sure there will be many fun things to do in KC and Houston in late July.

Posted by: csd1 | May 6, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

United supporters from Manchester hit Jersey Shore . . .

could be EPIC!

Posted by: OWNTF | May 6, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

KC and Houston in late July........BBQ and blues baby! Doesn't get much better than that.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 6, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

One win does not a streak make.

Posted by: VercengetorixII

*******************************

Hey, we've won on 2 consecutive Wednesdays!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 6, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh wow...I hope Totti isn't with Roma after seeing what he did in the Coppa Italia final. Roja directa!

Posted by: Reignking | May 6, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dccal | May 6, 2010 3:26 PM

Baltimore Washington Thurgood Marshall United?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 6, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey, we've won on 2 consecutive Wednesdays!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 6, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

DC United.............We Win Hump Day!

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 6, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

This is big news? Meh...
I've never understood the concept of paying premium prices for an exhibition game. Ick.

Posted by: icehippo | May 6, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I am setting the over/under on game-time temperature for Wiz-ManUre in the middle of summer in Kansas City at 98.

Posted by: IamAM | May 6, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Hm, since that's "Baltimore Washington INTERNATIONAL Thurgood Marshall," maybe we should go with "International Mid Atlantic United," or "Inter MAn U" for short.

Posted by: dccal | May 6, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Wednesday = Winsday for DC United.

/SoccerInsiderPunCrew

Posted by: VercengetorixII | May 6, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

It takes more...Wednesdays...

Posted by: agaro43 | May 6, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF
==========

Jersey sponsored by a failing financial institution? Central Bank of Greece?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 6, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Jersey sponsored by a failing financial institution? Central Bank of Greece?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 6, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe Bitibank...woops hit "b" instead of "c".

It does bring up the VW jersey contract which is set to expire soon, after 2010?

Posted by: Southeasterner | May 6, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Great for soccer in America!

Click here for a office pool bracket calculator for 2010 World Cup

Posted by: andyjcmrdn | May 6, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Southeasterner:

The VW deal runs to 2013.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 6, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Baltimore Washington Thurgood Marshall United?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil

----------------

You might be on to something, but it needs to be simplified:

"THURGOOD UNITED"

I dunno. I think it works...even if they don't move.

Vamos Thurgood.