Maradona, N. Korea, Adu, CONCACAF, Union, Milan

*Argentina Manager Diego Maradona has selected his World Cup roster. Yup, some guy named Messi is on it.

*North Korea will not train in Zimbabwe, thus ending a possible Kim-Mugabe striking partnership.

*American Freddy Adu played 83 minutes on the left flank in Aris' 3-2 victory over nemesis PAOK in the Greek playoffs.

*In the 2010-11 CONCACAF Champions League draw held Wednesday, the Columbus Crew and Real Salt Lake were entered directly into the group stage while, in the preliminary round, the Los Angeles Galaxy will play the second-division Puerto Rico Islanders and the Seattle Sounders will face a Central American opponent to be determined.

*The expansion Philadelphia Union has sold out of full season tickets, which were capped at 12,000 for soon-to-open PPL Park. Partial plans remain available. The waterfront stadium in Chester, Pa., will hold 18,500 for soccer.

*Interested in VIP passes to the AC Milan-D.C. United friendly at RFK Stadium next week? Reach out to The Post's Going Out Gurus.

*Sirius XM Radio will carry all 64 World Cup matches live. The primary voices, via ESPN Radio, will be JP Dellacamera and Tommy Smyth.

By Steve Goff  |  May 19, 2010; 5:54 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Americans Abroad , Argentina , CONCACAF Champions League , D.C. United , MLS  | Tags: AC Milan, Argentina, CONCACAF, Diego Maradona, Freddy Adu, North Korea, Philadelphia Union, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: U.S. World Cup update: injuries, roster, Daily Show
Next: Thursday kickaround

Comments

Man that Freddy Adu should return to America to play in the PDL division... That is where he would thrive... I still think he should be on the preliminary roster, he is better than Rogers.

I wish I had a nice 18.5 K stadium to play in.

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 19, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I hope Freddy learns to play well when it isn't his last chance. The U-20 World Cup and Aris qualify. But if he develops some consistency, he will be very useful.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 19, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Group A: Very tough for RSL (and potentially Toronto). Arabe Unido knocked Houston out last year. Cruz Azul is Cruz Azul. Motagua has a couple Honduras WC players, Toronto's another MLS club, and Vancouver is as close to an MLS club as you can be without actually being one. This is the toughest group.

Group B: Columbus gets the easiest group an MLS side has drawn since this format came to be. The loser of Santos and Toluca will be the heavyweight, but after that things are soft. Municipal was the worst team in Pot B, and the final team will either be Brujas (who missed the Costa Rican clausura playoffs) or Joe Public. Anything less than easy advancement would be a travesty for the Crew.

Group C: Assuming Seattle gets past CD FAS or Aguila (which requires assuming that El Salvador will be cleared to participate by FIFA), they got a very tough group. Monterrey is extremely good. Saprissa may not be as good as they used to be, but they'll still be tough. As we know from facing Marathon (who should ease past Tauro), that's a very tough game.

Group D: LA got a very arguably the toughest qualifying opponent they could get, other than Motagua. If they get past Puerto Rico, things don't get easier. They'll have the most recent Mexican champion and an Olimpia squad that makes up like 50% of the Honduras WC team.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 19, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

It's a bummer that Riquelme is missing from Argentina's roster. But i guess a happy team is important...

Posted by: boricuabopper | May 19, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Chest ya beat me to it. I agree with you all the way. I like to think that Columbus will take it a step further this year than they did last, maybe Thursdays and Sundays game will show if the have the depth to carry on with everything else this season.

Posted by: swampdogoh | May 19, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

...and Vancouver is as close to an MLS club as you can be without actually being one.
Posted by: Chest_Rockwell
===========

And DC United is as close to being a non-MLS club as you can be without actually being one.

Seattle will be fine. They invented CONCACAF.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 19, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Travel times in CONCACAF are crazy.
Thanks for the analysis Chest_.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 19, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I wish I had a nice 18.5 K stadium to play in.

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 19, 2010 6:34 PM

I hear ya, but make it 28.5k

18,500 is really pretty modest. I think they were being pretty realistic in PA with the stadium. Honestly, I don't see the Union sustaining a huge amount of support (long run, not the first couple seasons) in a city with a lot of sporting competition. We'll see though.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 19, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

P.S. I agree with Chest :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | May 19, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Sour Grapes on them improving the website by %700 now that DCU isn't qualified.:(

CONCACAF TV? Shop? Patch set for my sad old authentic 08/09 jersey? Why couldn't MLS do THAT to their site?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 19, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Kev,

While sure they have alot of sports going on up there, philly fans are hard core about supporting their teams. I think they'll be fine.

And if it meant a stadium I'll take 18.5 any day.

Posted by: sire1 | May 19, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I would think that more than 18.5k would be doable if they were actually in the city, but in a small suburb 20+ miles away and not accessible on public transportation I think 18.5k is optimistic.

I went to the home opener in Philly to see DC's dismal performance, and the crowds are there to see games actually in Philly. Wish they could have worked out an arrangement with the UPenn stadium or something.

Posted by: joe_hill | May 19, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

18.5, with half the seats blocked by flag-waving, beer guzzling Barra Brava/Screaming Eagle/El Norte fans?

Definitely need at least 23k.

And my seat needs to be 100% in the shade. I can't afford all of that sun on my cue-ball head.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 19, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Does the stadium's 18,500 capacity include space for all the Philly fans who must be incarcerated during the game? We know how they love their sports up the road.

Posted by: hungrypug | May 20, 2010 1:21 AM | Report abuse

DCU will be fine, Its only the first half of the season. Once we get Jakovic back our players can focus on offense a little more. Pontius should also be a go this week. That should give us a little more breathing room

Posted by: g3impreza | May 20, 2010 2:19 AM | Report abuse

DCU fans apply the same living in the past mentality to the stadium as they do to the game: Once we were great so therefore we should be cup contenders every year. Once we were great there fore any stadium must be 30K.

I'd take 18.5k if it meant staying in DC on Buzzard Point, or Barry Farms, or Poplar Point.

Posted by: DCB23 | May 20, 2010 5:01 AM | Report abuse

Even Fenty must realize by now that he screwed up big time with his disastrous Poplar Point decisions. Why doesn't he just cowboy up, admit his boneheaded backstab has been a complete disaster, and give DCU the green light to continue what he should never have stopped. It's not like his handpicked developers are lighting it up at Poplar Point. It works for both sides.

Posted by: croftonpost | May 20, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

@Chest: I do think that PRI has a good shot against LA. Especially if Arena decides to rest Donovan and Buddle or mix in a lot of reserves.

I don't think that Arena will sleep on PR but I do think that he may choose to use the home leg to rest some of his key guys.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 20, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

@DCB23, none of the proposed stadium designs have had less than a 20k capacity to my knowledge. Why on earth would you build a stadium with a capacity that undercuts average attendance only a year ago?

I think people started snapping out of the past a few games ago, but that doesn't mean it would be a good idea to build a smaller stadium than needed by the club and it's fans.

Philly is potentially expandable, as well as United's stadium should rightfully be if they ever get it done. I'm thinking more along the lines of 22-24k expandable to 30k....:)

Posted by: DadRyan | May 20, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

The guys left off Argentina's final 23 would make a solid contender out of at least a third of the teams in the cup.

Kevin Payne blew it not moving United to Philly. Get a clue Kevin, first year, a STADIUM and sold out season tix.

Freddy A-Who?

Posted by: NICKYNUNYA | May 20, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Siri XM has hired JP and TS!!!!????...two motormouths on the same channel!!!...for all the decades behind the mike, JP never learned the nuances of the game and that small laconic talk gives life to the game while winded nonesense kills it. Siri XM execs should be ashamed of themselves for this selection at WC 2010.

Posted by: juke2 | May 20, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Seattle will be fine. They invented CONCACAF.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 19, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse