Matchday: United-Red Bulls

Greetings from RFK Stadium. It's an unseasonably hot, humid day along the banks of the mighty Anacostia for the only MLS-WPS doubleheader in Washington this season:

D.C. United (0-4) vs. New York Red Bulls (4-1)
Kickoff: 4 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet/DC, Telefutura.

Washington Freedom (1-2) vs. St. Louis Athletica (1-0-2)
Kickoff: Around 6:30 p.m.

My estimated pregame attendance: 15,000. With little crossover support between the home teams, I am curious to see how many folks stick around for the second match.

United has won the Atlantic Cup (DCU-NY season series) six consecutive years and is 7-0-3 against the Red Bulls at RFK in all competitions the past four years. But the clubs have been heading in opposite directions this spring, with United equaling the worst start in team history (four losses) and New York leading the Eastern Conference.

Of note: DCU has finalized a charity match against El Salvador's national team. Details to be announced Tuesday, with June 19 (during MLS's World Cup break) as the likely date.

I'll be back later with DCU's lineup and reserves.
DCU (4-5-1): Perkins; Graye, Talley, Pena, Wallace; Quaranta, Morsink, Simms, Najar, Castillo; Cristman. Subs: Hamid, McTavish, Khumalo, King, Moreno, Allsopp, Emilio. Not in uniform: James, Barklage, Quinn, Jakovic, Burch, Namoff, Rice, Pontius.

Your pregame, in-game and postgame observations are encouraged.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  May 1, 2010; 2:12 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Freedom  | Tags: Atlantic Cup, D.C. United, El Salvador, MLS, Major League Soccer, New York, Red Bulls, Saint Louis Athletica, WPS, Washington Freedom, soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Joe Vide battling Hodgkin's disease
Next: D.C. United rewind

Comments

I'm actually feeling OK about today's game. Of course, I'm probably deluded.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 1, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

UnitedDemon, I am feeling the same way. Maybe we both ate something funny?

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 1, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

The United are on TV at last! Nice hot day to mow the lawn and then sit in the AC, drink beer, and watch the soccer and baseball games. Wonder why Freedom aren't being televised (not that I'd ever watch them), Comcast will have all the cameras and equipment set up and running and it's not like they have any other games to show now that the Caps are done.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | May 1, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm in a good mood for today, too, but bearing in mind that we are just exercising our First Amendment rights here and are not advocating or threatening physical violence against anyone, I would like to pick up on dimesmakedollars' excellent suggestion from two threads ago about storming the front office.

Posted by: dccal | May 1, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

So did they add Stephen King to this roster so he could use this season to write another one of his horror novels? He could call it "The Stadium." I apologize to those of you have wasted 10 seconds reading this bad joke.

Posted by: no_recess | May 1, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: no_recess | May 1, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Before you get too excited about DCU being on TV, if this college baseball game isn't over at 4;00 PM, will Comcast Sportsnet switch before its conclusion?

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 1, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

3:44 PM: Top of the 8th, no one out, two men on base. Home team winning. First kick in 23 minutes!

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 1, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Ughhh get this college baseball crapp off the air! Vamos United!

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | May 1, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Whew, switching college baseball to The Comcast Network. That's where Wayne's World is, right?

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 1, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

If the baseball game doesn't end in time, there is Telefutura also showing it...

My prediction for the game : DC 2 NY 1 Castillo and Cristman score.

Posted by: ESFan21 | May 1, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Very early, but DC has a lot of energy and is playing well, and NY can't string two passes together. Christman had a nice shot in the second minute, but it went wide.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | May 1, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Attention, The Great Rongeni:

Bill Nye, the Science Guy called; he wants his look back.

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 1, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Cristman is apparently under orders to shoot at every possible opportunity. i like it.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | May 1, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

We're playing a 4-5-1 with 3 forwards (moreno, emilio, allsopp) and 1 defender (mctavish) on the bench. Is that really what Onalfo calls depth? We have 1 sub for four defensive spots, and 3 subs for 1 forward spot.

Posted by: invncbl | May 1, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Why can't they get rid of the football lines? They're over 16 months old!

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 1, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

This ref is letting far too much go. I see red cards in this game.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | May 1, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

So nice to have Simms back

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 1, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Petke, a yellow card? Shocking.

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 1, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

i've seen this movie before: 0-0 until the 80th. angel scores. dc throws everything forward. ny scores again. final: ny 2 dc 0.

Posted by: birdynumnum | May 1, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Pretty good half from DCU - certainly we don't look like 0-4 team (so far)
Tino's yellow was cruel - definitely a step on. Mid-week goals seem to have energized Christman and Castillo, good to see. Still concerned with Perkins. Najar disappeared after the knock to his ankle, hopefully if its bothering him they will take care of it during HT. Overall pretty good from the Red & Black.

Vamos United

Posted by: londonboy | May 1, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Dane Richards just smoked Wallace. Way to come out with intensity, DCU.

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 1, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Could this season be any more annoying? Seriously?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 1, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

the sad thing is that i 1) am not surprised and 2) don't care anymore.

Posted by: birdynumnum | May 1, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Get Wallace off the field.

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 1, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Kasper has to go; this is a results business,

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 1, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

cool. at least they had the grace not to wait until the 80th minute for the inevitable meltdown. this gives me an extra 30 minutes to go cut the grass. thanks dc united!

Posted by: birdynumnum | May 1, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm beginning to think the Petter Villegas/Oralndo Perez-led team was better than this group.

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 1, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

sigh.....so frustrating

Posted by: londonboy | May 1, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Average age of DCU first 2 subs: 33.5 years. Marco warming up?

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 1, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: benonthehill | May 1, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Now we are playing to expectations - low to none....oh well

Posted by: londonboy | May 1, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

This from Kasper on MLSsoccer.com:

“We just need to go out and get our first result. We all know that. And we’re going to do that Saturday night."

Another lie. This fool has to go. Will has to wake up about this guy.

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 1, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

This team stinks. 0-3 at home. 0 goals for. You can't blame it all on the coach, I mean, they haven't exactly given him the best players to work with. Their three mid-week acquisitions this week are laughable, at best.

What was once a proud franchise on and off the field is now a joke around MLS.

Posted by: JPO2200 | May 1, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

as a dc fan since its inception, dc news what drew Carey created in Seattle, where by every so often the fans get a say about management! not by posting disgruntled comments on a blog, but by where a fan can make a real statement and have management listen!

anybody out there have an idea of how exactly that works in Seattle??

if your Kasper... are you even reading what the fans are saying??

Posted by: temuco | May 1, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

0-5. Ouch. What happenend to this team? Moreno and Emilio didn't even make a difference in the second half. And has Quaranta been taking lessons from Greg Louganis? It's pretty sad when you resort to diving because you can't take a decent shot on goal. He should have been booked a second time. Pathetic.

Posted by: Brokenbil | May 1, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brokenbil | May 1, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

The coach IS responsible for player acquisitions and team development.... I don't think Kasper is getting players in a vacuum... Onalfo does have a say in who comes and goes from the team... hence 0 -5!

Posted by: temuco | May 1, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I've taken to hedging my emotions by putting DC opponents in my mfls lineup.

Posted by: hungrypug | May 1, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

DC got it's 2nd choice coach with a bunch of 2nd choice players. This season is inevitable. I wonder if they are just trying to make attendance suck so they can move the franchise without feeling guilty.

The team plays really slow. Cristman has a golden opportunity in the first half and he totally blows it. We take out Najar who is the most influential player on the field for DC. This organization is on the brink of collapse. Bad team, bad stadium, when the fans go...

Posted by: mbyrd28 | May 1, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Hope Solo would have... oh, never mind.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 1, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: birdynumnum

*Nice. Go buy a lottery ticket, cuz I think you called that at around the half!

My "start whoever's playing DCU" strategy continues to pay dividends in our mfls league. Posted by: benonthehill

*I swallowed my pride and started Ream and Lindpere in MFLS--but I still predicted a DC Win in my #1 ranked prediction league team!!!

You gotta have boundaries.

Posted by: delantero | May 1, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

This team needs to find that frog.

Posted by: delantero | May 1, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

This really is a bad team, with a lousy front office, in an empty (see comments 1 and 2) stadium. At least they didn't waste electricity by playing at night.

Posted by: NICKYNUNYA | May 1, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

birdynumnum - Winner, winner chicken dinner.

Just got back from RFK. The real winner this season, the Westover Beer Garden. It is going to take a lot of drinkinging to get through this season.

Posted by: tcbannon | May 1, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

that was actually 4-4-2, not 4-5-1. It seems to have been decided that Najar is a forward now.

A decent first half with plenty of opportunities yet again. If Christman hadn't whiffed on that wide open chance we could have finally had a lead.

I love Moreno for all he has done for us. But now he just dribbles the ball into his defender and coughs it up.

It is sad when you have to hope that your 17 year old bright light doesn't have too bad of an ankle injury.

Wallace has been as big a defensive liability as Burch. He doesn't seem to ever have much urgency to get back and defend after he runs up field.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 1, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Expect a few empty seats on the 5th.

Posted by: Hoost | May 1, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

How long will fans sorta come out for this?

Posted by: nairbsod | May 1, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Game, set, match. Season is done. I still go by -- Win or Lose, it is the team we choose. That being said, we really suck. No end in sight. We really could be the worst team EVER.

Posted by: torrey151 | May 1, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

There was some success out there this afternoon...
Got my neighbor to drag his wife and 3 year old son out to RFK with my kid and wife in tow. First game for the MomRyan and LilRyan, and despite the result on the field we still had a great time. Hard to believe even with the jack hole CSC dick trying to tell me that my backpack/diaper bag was lucky to get in... Sheesh.
I know it doesn't seem like much, but it meant a lot to me.
We still had fun.
Vamos United!
Maybe we can just concentrate on the Open Cup?.....

Posted by: DadRyan | May 1, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Was at the game today. I thought they played well in the first half, but really let down in the second. Tino was very disappointing to me. It looked like he wasn't even really trying at all. Also, what is the deal with having to dribble all the way into the box or waiting to place the "perfect" cross? The goalie couldn't even move properly & had a hard time going to his left. Shoot on him all day (even from outside the box) and something will go in. You can't score if you don't shoot.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | May 1, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Goff's story:

Seems to me that a big reason we looked OK in the first half was that NYRB were playing pretty defensively, hoping we would maintain the tradition of our inability to finish. When it worked out for them with zeroes at the half, they flipped the switch to "attack" and we got steamrollered. Used to be teams would respect us enough to play defensively for 70 minutes or so before stepping forward to steal 3 on the road. Now, a half is all we get.

BTW, Harkesyrules, that WAS a lot of shots from us.

Posted by: dccal | May 1, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I agree: Tino was invisible. Why? This guy really did so well in his comeback last year.

Also: After defending RFK for so many years as being a "great game day soccer experience," I have to stop. The place is pathetic - worse than ever. Do not take your kids to this place (like I did). It's like Tijuana but with more dirty water and broken glass.

Will Chang, Kevin Payne, Dave Kasper: What the hell is going on? If you can't spend the money because you're not making any money, I get it. Just come out and say so. This roster is pathetic. Onalfo may not be the "Special One" but he was ahnded a horrible roster.

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | May 1, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

This losing is getting old. Are we going to have a different team every game like Tommy? If so, bring back Tommy - at least he won occasionally. How long is management going to keep Kurt? We should have gone w/the same guys who won mid-week.
The girls had a great game. Heard Josh Wicks was there. If we had any sense, we would beg him to come back. Perkins doesn't have what it takes to win.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | May 1, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

The comment about Moreno coughing up the ball is, unfortunately, dead on.

Tino may be having trouble connecting due to the lack of a quality attacking midfielder. Najar has great potential (and contributes more than Moreno) but isn't there yet. The hole in the middle is probably the reason United seems so intent on playing the ball over the top.

Cristman looks like he could develop into a great striker with time.

Today's highlight: Having Ledo's pizza for the first time at the stadium.

Today's lowpoint: Wearing my shirt from last year. The one that says "[t]he bull never wins."

2010 -- the year of development.

Posted by: Curious99 | May 1, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Perkins doesn't have what it takes to win.

Posted by: VirginiaFan

Even the marketing department knew that..."It takes more."

Agree with DadRyan, today wasn't an abject failure. It was beautiful (on the shady side of the stadium) and my daughter had a great time. Good thing she's not old enough to get winning and losing yet...

Posted by: daandre3 | May 1, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I asked this after the double-headers last year but I still want to know: can someone explain the (cough) supporters' groups aversion to GOOD soccer? Today 95% of them cleared out rather than see their home pro team play and win big against a good team in their stadium -- for free! This is the passionate hard core that's going to save soccer in DC? WHy show up at all? There are other places to get drunk in this town, after all. Depressing.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 1, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Perkins did make some great saves today. But he keeps getting caught leaning to his left, leading to soft goals.

With so many bad/cooked/clueless players on the team, and again, the utter lack of organization, I don't think he deserves to be singled out.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 1, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey Godfather, if the chance arises, and believe me I'm crossing my fingers it does I'll be there with my daughter in tow someday in the not so distant future hanging in there for the second game and loving every second of it. I personally got excited when I saw the women come out and start loosening up in front of La Norte and wished my company had the energy and interest to stick around.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 1, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Why did we not stick with the group that won 4-2? Tino was on the bench for that one. He should spend more time on it. He has been non-existant for two seasons. We had chemistry for the cup game. None tonight. If Perkins were in a straight jacket, I bet he would list to the left.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | May 1, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

What kind of results should we expect when they trot out Carey Talley as our Captain? This team is going nowhere fast. I put the blame on the front office, we just dont have the horses.

BTW, did anyone else feel nostalgic for 2004 when they saw Petke take the field for New Jersey?

Posted by: rickinashburn | May 1, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

On FSC just now, they said that Wednesday's game would be on BSPN2 at 6:00 Eastern time. That can't be right, can it?

Posted by: universityandpark | May 1, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

On the bright side, not many teams from the Eastern Conference are winning - giving us a chance to catch up late in the season? Hopeful. Plus - Davy Arnaud was sent off with a red card - not elgible to play against DC on Weds.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | May 1, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I want to thank the SG members who did stay for the second game. It was above and beyond the call of duty, and they added something to the experience. Also, remember last year, when there was that totally unnecessary 60-minute hiatus between the two games? This time they cut that in half. In fact, the nightcap kicked off slightly before 6:30 p.m., and the final whistle blew at about 8:15 p.m., leaving virtually the whole evening ahead of us.

While this result may have been good news for Freedom fans, some of us are also fans of the USWNT. Wearing the WNT fan hat, I must say that Canada may be stronger at at least one position (goal).

I finally got my Bompastor jersey, minutes before she vindicated my purchase with a wicked goal.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 1, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I missed the first two Freedom home matches at the 'Plex. I just checked their Web site and learned that they are now charging $10 for parking. No wonder their attendance is down. What are they thinking?

Posted by: universityandpark | May 1, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Too bad so many United fans were too frustrated or too lame to stick around to see the Freedom play. They beat up on St. Louis something fierce, with three outstanding goals and a terrific performance between the pipes for Erin McLeod. Good to see there's at least one pro soccer team in DC worth watching. (And I say this as a United fan since 1996.) What remained of the Barra was singing "Trade you for United" at the end, and there was serious talk of drafting Abby Wambach to play up top for the Black and Red.

Posted by: JDougan_DC | May 1, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Vamos United... lets try again on wednesday.

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | May 1, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

What kind of results do you expect when the team on the field at the final whistle is made up of second string rejects from other MLS teams? (Cristman, King, Morsink, Talley) And slow attackers (Jaime, Emilo). There was little or no energy in the final 15 minutes. (Wait the whole second half I should say.)

Talley as Captain? What a freaking joke. This is a second string team run by a Coach that couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag (and he is another MLS team reject).

At the end of the game today, I was ready to throw my DC United jersey and cap on the field in frustration with how low this club has become. I am amazed the boos were not even louder. (So many had left already or as Goff said only 12,000 in the stadium to start. The drop in attendance is going to be continue).

Will Chang is pissing his money away. Onalfo and Kasper should be booted immediately. I bet there isn't even 5,000 at Wednesday's game. A sad state of affairs for my beloved DC United. Tradition? Ha Ha.

Posted by: ronwright | May 2, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

The $10 parking fee is even for season ticket holders. If you love the game enough to come $10 more should not matter.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | May 2, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse