Matchnight: United-Wizards

Greetings from RFK Stadium on another sumptuous day/evening along the banks of the mighty Anacostia. United has not fared well on the field, but it has enjoyed nice weather for each of the four league matches at home. So they've got that going for them. Which is nice.

It's a lovely setting for DCU youth academy graduate Bill Hamid to make his professional debut. What's that? Hamid starting in goal in place of Troy Perkins? That is what I heard late yesterday and again this afternoon. I thought Hamid would get a shot in last week's U.S. Open Cup match, but after Perkins labored again last weekend against the New York Red Bulls, the coaching staff apparently decided to try Hamid. No official confirmation from the club yet.

Speaking of former DCU academy players, goalkeeper Samir Badr (Porto) and midfielder Lester Dewee (Marseille) were named to the U.S. under-20 national team for a tournament in the Netherlands May 14-25.

I'll share the full lineup and reserves later.
DCU: Hamid; Graye, Talley, Pena, Wallace; Khumalo, Morsink, Simms, Castillo; Cristman, Allsopp. Subs: Perkins, King, McTavish, Najar, Emilio, Moreno, Quaranta.

Kickoff: 7 p.m. ET.
TV: ESPN2.
Announcers: JP Dellacamera and John Harkes.

You've come to the right place for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  May 5, 2010; 5:00 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags: Bill Hamid, D.C. United, Kansas City Wizards, MLS, Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Troy Perkins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday kickaround
Next: D.C. United owner speaks out

Comments

Heading out to RFK soon. Praying for a win. Or at least a point. Come on boys!

Posted by: VercengetorixII | May 5, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm going, so you should, too.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 5, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Almost wish I was in Tottenham right about now... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John1 | May 5, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

"United owner Will Chang is in town and will be available for comment before the match. I will have full details soon."

Muy interesante.

Didn't we have nothing but rain throughout last year's home games? Maybe that's what we need to improve to mediocre. Anyone know a good rain dance? Maybe your neighbor has access to a cloud seeder?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 5, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Slightly OT, but Will Chang owns an interest in the SF Giants, no? I wonder if he's at all involved in those supposed talks to buy the Golden State Warriors, and whether that might impact his ownership of DCU...

Posted by: Juan-John1 | May 5, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Vamos United!

Posted by: redskinsux | May 5, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

And we've got a Caddyshack reference, which is nice.

Posted by: Reignking | May 5, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

too nice out not to go. And yep I remember lots of rain last year.

Posted by: DCB23 | May 5, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Time to bust a move.

¡Vamos!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 5, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Perkins should start but im also interested in seeing hamid so whatever floats the boat. Im still trying to decide whether to go or not. I could just sit here and watch it on a flat screen with a nice tall glass of 60 cent pepsi.

Posted by: g3impreza | May 5, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

no perkins, shiz gone crazy

Posted by: SexyOffender | May 5, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

have you all realized that our captain will no longer be starting when jako comes back?

Posted by: SexyOffender | May 5, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Would be nice to see Najar with Simms in central midfield at some point but I suppose this is not a time when attack soccer is likely to be cultivated.

Posted by: benonthehill | May 5, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

BoyZZZZZZZZ!!!!

Posted by: nairbsod | May 5, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Vamos United!!!

Congrats to Hamid!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | May 5, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

So tonight we play kick and run?

Posted by: DonDraper | May 5, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to thank Castillo for wearing those heinously bright shoes; I always know where he is.

Posted by: ferbear | May 5, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have a link to a live feed?

Posted by: MNKicker | May 5, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

MNKicker: You don't have ESPN2 or access to ESPN3.com (formerly ESPN360.com)?

Posted by: jo1234 | May 5, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Allsopp needs one more goal, with his head, for the perfect hat trick.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 5, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

In digging Alllsop. Did in Charleston too. He even did the "kiss the badge" after the second goal. I love when guys do that.

Really impressed with Hamid to. He's been pretty decisive and, more importantly, making the right ones.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 5, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see the big Aussie getting it done!

Posted by: scott47a | May 5, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

For some my ESPN2 channel isn't working. Anyone else having this problem?

Posted by: DaninFL | May 5, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Hamid is a beast!!!

Posted by: nairbsod | May 5, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I am not sure Hamid is a beast yet. He certainly has the size but he's made a couple of mistakes today. Luckily he made up for them and didn't concede a goal. Still I like what I see so far.

Posted by: tundey | May 5, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

ozzie ozzie ozzie?

Posted by: hungrypug | May 5, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

My favorite Max Bretos updates are the ones where his microphone fails and there is only the ambient noise of the stadium.

Posted by: HWLongfellow | May 5, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. Wouldn't have surprised me for Castillo to see red there...

Najar for Castillo

Good on Hamid to keep that ball out of goal there.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 5, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

DC United. We win mid-week games.

Can someone talk to the schedulers at MLS and get the rest of our season shifted to Wednesdays?

Posted by: daandre3 | May 5, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hungrypug

ozzie ozzie ozzie?

====================

Oi Oi Oi ! Good on ya Danny!

Posted by: Charisma_Man | May 5, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Had to deny the kid his shutout, huh? Good job by Hamid tonight. Not bad for a young Rook. Castillo needs to toughen up. Good job by Allsopp, we often take for granted the situations (injuries, adapting, etc.) that new players have to deal with when switching leagues.

3 HUGE points in the bad. Let's do this thing!

VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 5, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Some of my favorite soccer moments are those same moments that make broadcasters regret putting microphones behind the nets- Hamid's "What the ****??"

Posted by: carmines757 | May 5, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

is the sky still falling?? should i buy back my season tix which i traded for a big gulp?

Posted by: mizage | May 5, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

We needed this to survive.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 5, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

What flavor is the Big Gulp? How much is left?

Posted by: daggar | May 5, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

OK, a win is a win. But this was a defensless KC. Bad defense allowed for two goals. We still have a lot of work to do to stand up to most stronger MLS teams.

The young Hamid was great on his MLS debut. He and Najar have bright futures ahead. The back four were definitely stronger tonight. Could Hamid have played a role in orgainizing them?

Allsop worked hard and finished well. Cristman may well become the best offseason
aquisition.

Except for his free kicks, Castillo continues to disappoint. He's regulalrly outmuscled, turns the ball over continuously, and shows little creativity in the midfield. Maybe I'm expecting too much of him because of all the hype.

Khumalo may be fast but continues to show inconsistency after two years. Not a good performance tonight.

Wallace has not been up to the task either. I probably am asking to much after his stellar first half of last season.

Screaming Eagles and Barra Brava continue to display solid performances even after 14 or so years on the pitch.

Posted by: marcool | May 5, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Great work by Allsop. Hopefully he's not a guy that can only get motivated on Cinco de Mayo!

I think hundreds of dollars of beer (granted, this is at RFK prices) went airborne when Prus blew the final whistle.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 5, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I have to disagree with you. Boise is nothing if not consistent.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 5, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Khumalo may have his faults but he brings energy to the offensive third that is generally very lacking with this group.

Posted by: croftonpost | May 5, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

The FC Dallas broadcast team are absolutely trashing United tonight. To say the least they are expecting a "W" Saturday night.

Posted by: croftonpost | May 5, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

I knew it would be a good evening when I saw someone walking down Tuckerman Lane towards Grosvenor Metro at 5:15 in a home jersey and a tan baseball cap. I looked for him later in the stadium but didn't see him.

Posted by: Curious99 | May 5, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Wallace had his best game as a defender. And I hope nobody makes a cheap joke out of Kurt Morsink's name. He's a fighter, and he wins most of his fights.

Posted by: b18bolo | May 5, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Wallace was amazing. I dont know what that dude was talking about earlier. Minus the marking in the end - he shut down that whole left side all night.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | May 5, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

@Curious -- If I'd known by 5:15 that it was a 7:00 start, you might have seen me at the Grosvenor metro in my away jersey. As it was, I was there an hour later.

Gotta admit I hafta eat crow on starting Hamid. This was a much more confident keeper than I saw against Real Maryland. Allsopp gets MOTM for his brace, but Hamid was the indispensable man.

What made this game different was the front pair which showed what serious hustle can do, Hamid's quick reactions and commanding presence, and central defenders who were much better at supporting the fullbacks.

United still needs to create more looks at goal -- this game stood out in some ways, because for once the other team had the better possession and was creating more chances. Well, I guess that's how it went in KC, too -- but the defense was better organized, and the goalkeeping was light years better. I suspect Perkins will still get his chances, but it looks like United might have found its goalie for the next decade or so. Might have found a good, new striker combination, too. This wasn't typical flowing DC United, given the bigger, faster, more powerful strikers -- but it was winning football.

Posted by: fischy | May 5, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if "flowing DC United" football will work in this league anymore- definitely not with our current cast of characters

Posted by: carmines757 | May 5, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse