Mexico victory, Honduras, Spain, Kiwi rosters

*More than 60,000 witnessed Mexico's 1-0 victory over Senegal at Chicago's Soldier Field. El Tri's barnstorming tour of the States resumes Thursday against Angola in Houston. Watch Alberto Medina's goal:

*Current or former MLS players named to Honduras' initial World Cup squad: midfielders Roger Espinoza (Kansas City), Amado Guevara and Ramon Nunez (who grew up in Dallas), and forward Carlos Pavon.

*Spain has just a few famous names on its preliminary roster.

*Former D.C. United star Ryan Nelsen, New York Red Bulls defender Andrew Boyens and midfielder Jeremy Christie, from second-division Tampa Bay, were named to New Zealand's preliminary roster.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  May 11, 2010; 12:08 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , Mexico , Spain  | Tags: Andrew Boyens, Major League Soccer, Mexico, New York Red Bulls, Ryan Nelsen, Soccer, Soldier Field, Spain, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United and U.S. World Cup updates
Next: Tuesday kickaround

Comments

Quality.

Mexico has really turnd things around.

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | May 11, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

wow. Ryan Nelsen is a cold beast, but I can't figure out how New Zealand qualified for the WC with that roster. They should be made to pass a tougher test than Bahrain.

Posted by: hungrypug | May 11, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

"*Spain has just a few famous names on its preliminary roster."

We beat them once in South Africa and will do it again. Spanish fans will learn more names like Altidore and Dempsey (even more so after the Europa League final this week).

Spain is nice names the US is a team.

"The biggest thing we learned from the Confederations Cup was that we can compete with and beat any team in the world if we play our best. Not many teams in the world can say that," - Landycakes

Posted by: Southeasterner | May 11, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Was that Chris Seitz in goal?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 11, 2010 4:09 AM | Report abuse

Roger Espinoza grew up in Denver, Colorado.

One of his favorite activities is snow boarding.

Posted by: Barracudas | May 11, 2010 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Mexico vs. Ecuador 0-0

I checked Rep├║blica Deportiva on Sunday and they didn't have any highlights of the game. They didn't even talk about it. They only wanted to talk about the 98 World Cup! Sure, if Mexico would have beaten Ecuador, they would have talked for 3 hrs about how great EL TRI is. They will go 3 and out!

Posted by: dcunitedbocajrs1 | May 11, 2010 6:57 AM | Report abuse

No goal. The goalie had his hands on the ball. But the referee wanted to make all the illegals in the stands happy.

Posted by: GeneWells | May 11, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

I've never heard of any of those guys from Spain. Are they back-benchers?

;-)

I think you would have to say that Spain is certainly one of the favorites to win the World Cup, but I think they'll once again flame out and not make the finals.

Posted by: nairbsod | May 11, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

I know how we like to brag about our keepers, but that's a deep pool for Spain, with De Gea emerging this season.

Posted by: Reignking | May 11, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

@GeneWells: I am going to say this with all due respect another forum brother.

Please desist from similar comments or jokes that you made in the last post.

I hate it when this thread goes off track from somthing soccer realated and that is excatly the sort of post or joke that will do that. There are tons of blogs online at at the paper wheren that o Pandora's Box is already open.

Not an attempt at "censorsorship" or to limit you free speech. Just a polite, respectful request from one forum brother to another.

Please do no poison the well.

Thanks a lot.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 11, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Tim Brown, ex-Richmond Kicker (then A-League/USL1) was also named to the Kiwi PreWC roster. He played a big role in their qualification matches, as well.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 11, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

GeneWells, what yankiboy is trying to say is, the only off-topic political broadsides tolerated around here are ones that come from the looney left.

As for the keeper having his "hands" on the ball, that's not how I saw the replay. He muffed it, then his *hand* singular touched the ball at the same time as the Mexico forward's foot. I think the call was correct.

More generally, I think too much deference is given to goalkeepers. It is particularly absurd on the youth levels. There, if a keeper is 20 feet from the ball and looks like he wants it, no opposing player better even *think* about kicking it.

Posted by: Ron16 | May 11, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't DC United interested in Walter Martinez a couple years back? Too bad that didn't work out; a forward with good pace would be nice right about now.

Posted by: DaninFL | May 11, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

@Ron16: I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt; You must be joking because I know that you must know better than that. You post here enough to have seen me make the request before.

It has nothing to do whith the left, center or right. This is a soccer blog.

This ain't C-SPAN.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 11, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

is something off when USL/NASL players are going playing in the World Cup?

Posted by: Pete803 | May 11, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

This ain't C-SPAN.

Posted by: yankiboy

Amen, but can't it still be VS or Wild World of Sports every now and then now that the Giro has started?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 11, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Oh and to re re: about the "illegals" thing. Mexican futbol fans have absolutely no respect for Americans when it comes to the rivalry, throwing batteries, bags of piss, ice, limes etc.. at our fans & players when at Azteca or anywhere really. So when it comes to the rivalry, all political correctness is thrown out the window in my book. All those dirty Mexicans can die in a fire as far as I care.

Outside of soccer, they're a rich culture and wonderful people with lots of history ;^)

Pedro

Posted by: Pete803 | May 11, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I remember one of our players getting stuff thrown at him during a corner kick in ARIZONA. He should be safe playing on US soil.

Posted by: GeneWells | May 11, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Quality.

Mexico has really turnd things around.

Not sure if this is sarcastic or not, but I was pretty unimpressed by Mexico's effort as a whole. It's probably good not to read too much into a friendly where neither team has its full squad, but for what it's worth the Mexican media is freaking out about the lack of the goals.

Posted by: BooThisMan | May 11, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Re: kicking the ball while in the goalie's possession

At first I thought that the goal should've been disallowed, but after viewing a few times I realized that decision stemmed mostly out of my wish for Mexico to have drawn 0-0 with Senegal. Goalie's fault for not wrapping up an easy save- if Donovan had done the same thing and it been called back we would be calling for the ref's head

Posted by: carmines757 | May 11, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

@Petey/Pedro: I don't do "political correctness".

And if someone else acts like a scumbag, do you really want to drop down to their level? Defending yourself and loved ones from injury is one thing. Dropping to the level of uncivillized behavior--instinct is to do go at it--hey I'm from Baltimore and there is something about the water or in the air over there that makes you wanna step to people who disrespect you. I feel you. It's not easy to maintain your head when confronted with stupidity. It's hard for me (at least).

@GeneWells: When US supporters start enthusiastically buying more of the tickets, we can help insulate our players form the losers who would do them harm and better identify them to stadium security. If US supporters buy more tickets, "home field" can be taken back.

A player should be safe playing anyplace. Only losers and scumbags throw things at people.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 11, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

yankiboy, I stand by what I said. The pattern is pretty well-established. There are plenty, and I mean plenty of political barbs couched in "soccer posts" here that apparently have not bothered you enough to call out. And they are overwhelmingly from one end of the political spectrum. So spare us the neutrality routine, OK?

Posted by: Ron16 | May 11, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Ron16, You can stand by your statement.

I would agree with you about the shots coming from the other direction. They are more prevalent.

But I can tell you where you are definitely wrong:

You are wrong about me. My pattern is pretty well established.

I always try to call out the polticalization of any sports forum that I participate in unless they are directly related to the issue of sport (like stadiums funding or when an athlete comes out and makes a political statement like Nash and the Suns organization last week).

That is in every forum that I particpate it. If I see it. I always make a respectful (key word) appeal or try to toss something out to say, "hey that can go the other way, so let's just sort of let that go". A couple weeks ago. I think that someone shot something out and it may have been you who responded and I wrote something about "good comeback (and that the other poster started it and you adressed it, so maybe we could move on).

The second place that you are wrong:

Your comment about the "spare us" was disrespectful. I have never diresepected you.

You can question my integrity (which is what you are doing, rather than give me the benefit of the doubt).

I might joke around with folks here. I may call out players, DCU management and fellow posters. But I don't recall one, single time that I have been disrepefctul to anyone.

You can stick by your statement about the forum (which I personally agree).

You can stick by your assessment of my post. A lot of posters from this site and others know that it is wrong but more importantly, I know that it is wrong.

Call me out. Cool. Please I ask you to. Seriously. I like to try to keep things "real". The shot in your last comment was of a gratuitous, personal nature.

Just please show me the same class and good faith that I try to show you and all of the other posters here. I don't think that is a lot to ask for. If it is then we can just ignore each other. I don't pretend to be nuetral about my political opinions. I just prefer not to mix them into my posts about sports on sports blogs.

Anyways, blah, blah blah.

If you hear someone shouting "Yanki" and see me at RFK stadium the please holler at me. Or better yet, come see how the little guys live and come see a Palace Baltimore home match. I'm supereasy to find there. Either way, you got an invite waitin' for a beverage of your choice if you want one...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 11, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow, people are going crazy here, so I'll go somewhat off the current topic. In response to Pete803 about the USL/NASL thing, Jeremy Christie is the only player from the second division who is going to the World Cup. I'm a D.C. United fan who now lives in Tampa and really have enjoyed following the Rowdies so far. He was the first player they signed and was considered to be a long shot to make the All Whites World Cup squad. Basically, the Rowdies were in the right place at the right time to land a player who happened to be named to a World Cup roster. This is a good thing for U.S. soccer as the second division is actually getting some coverage because of Christie's selection.

Posted by: paulp_00 | May 11, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

@paulp: Yeah. That is good for the second division. Good for Tampa Bay and congrats on the great attendance for your home opener.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 11, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yankiboy | May 11, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

^[it was an intentional double posting--I thought that I heard somewhere that Goff get a commission for every blog response]

Posted by: yankiboy | May 11, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse