MLS weekend flashback

Red Bulls 2, D.C. United 0: 12,089 at RFK Stadium
Troy Perkins says DCU may need to start sacrificing goats and chickens to break out of its funk. Chivas mascot and Washington's political chickenhawks stage protest and are joined at rally by sympathetic cats and rats who dwell at RFK.

Fire 1, Chivas USA 1: 13,224 at Toyota Park
Inspired by Perkins' comments, Goats earn first away point.

Revolution 1, FC Dallas 1: 10,057 at Gillette Stadium
Double figures in cards (10 yellows, two reds), barely five figures in attendance.

Dynamo 3, Wizards 0: 16,042 at Robertson Stadium

Real Salt Lake 2, Toronto FC 1: 12,659 at Rio Tinto Stadium
Sanyang and Nane in the TFC lineup, De Rosario and de Guzman on the bench. Hmmm.

Earthquakes 1, Rapids 0: 8,674 at Buck Shaw Stadium
Chris Wondolowski 3 goals in 3 games after scoring 4 in first 5 seasons.

Sounders 1, Crew 1: 36,219 at Qwest Field
"For the majority of the match, we bossed the game," Seattle's Pete Vagenas said. And teammate Terry Boss didn't even play.

Galaxy 3, Union 1: 15,453 at Home Depot Center
How will Los Angeles fare when both Landon Donovan and Edson Buddle are at the World Cup? (Watch this Buddle video)

Wacky sequence, great save by Kansas City's Jimmy Nielsen:
Get Microsoft Silverlight

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  May 3, 2010; 10:59 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS  | Tags: D.C. United, Edson Buddle, Landon Donovan, MLS, Real Salt Lake, Troy Perkins, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans abroad
Next: Monday kickaround

Comments

You can't sacrifice chickens. According to Sue Lowden, who's running for the US Senate in Arizona, chickens are far too valuable as barter for health care. :)

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 3, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

man that was a bad trip on Saturday...

Posted by: DCB23 | May 3, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

That's an all-around bad weekend, attendance-wise. Any reasonable excuses?

Posted by: Logan_Circle | May 3, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Chicken Soup for the DC Fan's Soul?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 3, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Attendance has a tendency to pick up during the summer months (for baseball as well). No need to panic just yet.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 3, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Not sure what scares me more about DCU right now...a) seeing these results, b) expecting these type of results, or c) becoming comfortably numb with the state of our affairs.

I didn't see the game because even with DK I need to have Telefutura (which I don't) but RBNY did one on us, at home and to be quite frank I thought it would be worse. But then the Dallas result had me holding out hope. Oh well, reality bit and now here I am, on a Monday - not angry, not upset, just...comfortably numb.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 3, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Sue Lowden is running in Nevada, not Arizona. Otherwise, the post is spot-on.

As for attendance - places like Dallas, KC, and San Jose have always been mediocre markets for MLS. The low figures in New England bother me more. Are the fans sick of driving to Foxboro? Sick of the underachieving team? Both?

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | May 3, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

================

We'll get a point? YES!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 3, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Kosh,

Comfortably numb.........hhhmmmm......as a longtime Wizards and Orioles fan I passed the comfortably numb stage a long time ago and have been in a deep coma for some time. United's struggles are minor league material right now. Hopefully, they never promote themselves to major league struggles.

Posted by: blackandred777 | May 3, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

KC coaches: "nothing solves our problems like a trip to DC!"

Posted by: troy6 | May 3, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Miles,

Oops you're right, my bad.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 3, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

at least Dave Kasper is finally right that we're not an 0-4 team.

Posted by: joe_hill | May 3, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

New England's home attendance average has not been great for a few years. 14,000 in 2008, and 12,000 last year. I'm not surprised that it was 10,000 for a game against FC Dallas.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | May 3, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Nothing inevitable about a 0-0 draw. As I commented yesterday, teams know they can wait out DCU's 'furious' early pressure, wearing them down and beating 'em on the counter-attack. Actually, this isn't new with DCU, but it's reached ridiculousness this year.

Posted by: fischy | May 3, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

at least Dave Kasper is finally right that we're not an 0-4 team.

------

I totally agree with Kasper, we've had the toughest opening 5 games in the league playing powerhouses Philadelphia and Kansas City along with our home games. I mean, who could expect to get even 1 point out of those 15?

Sigh.

Posted by: SoccerVA | May 3, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Hey Troy,
Maybe it's time to start sacrficing useless goalkeepers.

Posted by: rcdwriting | May 3, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Hey Troy,
Maybe it's time to start sacrficing useless goalkeepers.

Posted by: rcdwriting | May 3, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

sorry about the double post. If I had wanted to post again, I would have added "overpaid" to the useless goalkeeper comment.

Posted by: rcdwriting | May 3, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

This team is headed for last place in MLS this year. The real question is whether they'll ever win any games -- maybe they'll manage a shutout and get a fortunate penalty kick down the line. Recalling my comments on Friday, when the draft comes around, y'all will think differently about giving up the second round pick for a bench player like King...when we see who Seattle picks in DCU's stead. To turn the season around, the team needs much more drastic improvements. I don't wee how that's even in the realm of possibility. What talented players in Europe or South America are going to join this DC United squad to finish out their career? Next, they'll trade their 1st round pick for some mediocre, faded MLS talent. All of which doesn't matter, because of this team's poor draft record.

Posted by: fischy | May 3, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Sacrifice goats and chickens? As long as the goat is a Payne and the chicken is Kasper, I'm all for it.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 3, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I should get at least a yellow card for being such a crappy supporter, but when I saw Perkins at Target on Leesburg Pike yesterday afternoon and saw how miserable he looked I couldn't find the courage or words to say anything to him...

Posted by: DadRyan | May 3, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

fischy you have been bringing me down in the dumps these days...

Posted by: swampdogoh | May 3, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. If you were a really crappy supporter... a terrible, no good, mean supporter... you would have waited until a Freedom player came in, and then left the store.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | May 3, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

""Kansas City has not scored in the past three matches heading into Wednesday's inevitable 0-0 draw at DCU.""

A point? I'll take it! Never has a tie looked so good.

Posted by: delantero | May 3, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

DCU Rick,

Your astounding wit just knows no boundaries. Gallagher would be so proud!

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 3, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow, so Perkins works at Target now instead of the mortgage lending job?

Posted by: OWNTF | May 3, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

hey goff, it ain't good, bad, and coyote ugly, but this weekend flashback is OK. please keep doing it.

Posted by: troy6 | May 3, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Thor, where did that come from? Some OTs are still soccer-related; some comments got political when we were discussing the strike; but now you're just throwing in OT politics? Why not take that comment to Cilizza's blog or the comments on a relevant news story?

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 3, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: troy6 | May 3, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I second that emotion.

===============================

Wow, so Perkins works at Target now instead of the mortgage lending job?

Posted by: OWNTF | May 3, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Great post! :)

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 3, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

OT but I'd like you all to look at these flickr photos from our last family vacation to Indiana:

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 3, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

OT but DC actually wins this Wednesday.

Posted by: nairbsod | May 3, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"How will Los Angeles fare when both Landon Donovan and Edson Buddle are at the World Cup?"

Don't you mean when their roster follows within MLS rules.

Posted by: ihillvt | May 3, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Dane Richards = sick fast.

Wallace is by no stretch slow. But the way Richards turned the corner on him in the second half was very impressive.

Speed does, in fact, kill. United needs to do a better job of getting defensive cover in situations like that.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 3, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Pardon my ignorance, but what does OT mean?

Posted by: elopingcamel | May 3, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

OT is like T.O. with dyslexia.

it also means "off topic"

Posted by: nairbsod | May 3, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Has Vagenas been hanging out with Christian Miles or something?

I was just wondering the same thing about LA this morning. Buddle has 9/10 of their goals! That is a lot of eggs in one basket.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 3, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind. I'm figuring it means "Off Topic." If that is wrong, feel free to let me know.

Posted by: elopingcamel | May 3, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Nairbsod.

Posted by: elopingcamel | May 3, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Irrelevant political link deleted

Come on, guys

Posted by: Steve Goff | May 3, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Re: Buddle. Nice collection. Nice touch. A few soft, poorly defended headers, but hey, the guy puts it on frame. He also works well with Landy.

I see Spector to Buddle. I see free kicks to Buddle/Gooch/Boca. I see Buddle in SA!!

Posted by: delantero | May 3, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

fischy you have been bringing me down in the dumps these days...

Posted by: swampdogoh | May 3, 2010 11:56 AM |

---------------------------------------------------------

Me? Or, the team? I'll try to hold my fire -- which basically means I'll have nothing to say... BTW (By the way), I've never given proper props to the internet dude who predicted Allsopp would be the biggest bust among MLS signings. Was it Steve Davis? Can't recall. Anyway, he was spot on. You can point to a lot of problems, but it starts with having no one up front worth spit.

Posted by: fischy | May 3, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Ouch! Hand slapped by The Goffer.

Message heard, loud and clear...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 3, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I've got to go soon -- Real UniĆ³n Irun is about to play. And that's not a mashup of the teams from Salt Lake and Philly.

After all, it's soccer, so I have to watch it. And I've driven through the town, so I feel like I know the team.

Posted by: Reignking | May 3, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Irun? Present tense song by A Flock of Seagulls?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 3, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Irun. And it is far away.

Posted by: Reignking | May 3, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

So far the Allsopp equation has been:

High scoring rate + 3 years of DCU scouting = Nothing

Hope this changes but not looking likely.

Posted by: ihillvt | May 3, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

The highlight featuring Oduro and Nielsen was perfectly choreographed to the Benny Hill Show theme. That takes a lot of skill, practice and dedication.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 3, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse