MLS weekend flashback

Columbus Crew 3, New York Red Bulls 1: 11,940 at Red Bull Arena
Three shots off the woodwork for N.Y., three points for the Crew.

Los Angeles Galaxy 1, FC Dallas 0: 10,957 at Pizza Hut Park
Edson who? Landon what? 26 of a possible 30 points for L.A.

Toronto FC 1, New England Revolution 0: 20,672 at BMO Field
No De Rosario or de Guzman, but a de-lightful day for TFC.

San Jose Earthquakes 1, Seattle Sounders 0: 35,953 at Qwest Field
Another coach criticizes Freddie Ljungberg, this time his own.

Houston Dynamo 2, D.C. United 0: 24,471 at Robertson Stadium
DCU = Dying Club Unraveling.

Real Salt Lake 2, Chivas USA 1: 14,287 at Home Depot Center
RSL's Chris Wingert scores first goal in 147 league matches. In Washington, that's considered a scoring surge.

Columbus 1, K.C. Wizards 0: 10,385 at CommunityAmerica Ballpark
Unbeaten Crew on pace to join Galaxy in Toronto on Nov. 21.

THE TABLES
Seattle 3-4-3, 12
Dallas 2-2-5, 11
Chivas USA 3-6-1, 10

Chivas forward Justin Braun's solid strike:
Get Microsoft Silverlight

By Steve Goff  |  May 23, 2010; 8:47 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS  | Tags: Columbus Crew, D.C. United, Los Angeles Galaxy, MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: USA women 4, Germany 0
Next: Are you going to the World Cup?

Comments

No DCU Rewind? Sigh. Even Goff has turned on the team. I haven't watched any of the last three games, and I'm ashamed, but is anyone really going to scrutinize me at this point?

Posted by: kdiff813 | May 23, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha. De- light-ful day for TFC.

DCU needs to learn that the guys in the other jerseys are playing for the other team and should be (1) marked and (2) not recipients of passes. As I wrote in another thread, Onalfo should park the bus for the rest of the season and hope to get a point from each remaining match.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 23, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

that DCU comment is a low blow...

Posted by: alan19 | May 23, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

@270: Parking the bus will do no good in regular season play, that is pretty much over already. I say the Open Cup is the only salvation left this season.

Posted by: swampdogoh | May 23, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Braun's celebration is the best I have seen in a while

Posted by: asocrlovr | May 23, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

It was the fairest low blow ever delivered.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 23, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I guess those high-scoring games a few weeks ago were an aberration. The last couple of weeks have been very low-scoring.

Even worse news for DC United is that we've played 9 matches already. Several other teams have played a game or two fewer and only a couple of teams have played more. This season is over. If i hadn't already paid for the tickets....

Posted by: fedssocr | May 23, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm beginning to buy into the theroy that the FO is mailing it in so they can move the team in the near future.

I mean "quietly looking for a stadium solution" in our area? What politcal sense does it make to "quietly" look for a stadium?

The only answer I can come up with is that they are "quietly" looking in another city.

Posted by: rademaar | May 23, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

If and when the club moves, whoever takes control of the club, I can't imagine Kasper and Payne surviving the transition.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 23, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I think when I really have to decide, I prefer driving past Balitmore to Philly...I can make a weekend out of it, visit friends in the area, maybe take a quick trip to Jersey and hope to see some Jersey Shore crew....even "The Situation" knows that the situation w/ DCU is bad...both season and their future location in Baltimore...vamos Balitmore United...yuck!

Posted by: willworkforgoals | May 23, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 23, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I think it’s time to bring in the “Major League” plan of action:

Onalfo: [at a team meeting] Can I have your attention, please?
Onalfo: I have something I think you all ought to know about. It seems that Mr. Chang doesn't think too highly of our worth. He put this team together because he thought we'd be bad enough to finish dead last, knocking attendance down to the point where he could move the team to Miami... and get rid of all of us for better personnel.
Jaime Moreno: Even me?
Onalfo: Even you, Jaime.
Moreno: What if we DON'T finish last?
Onalfo: He'll REPLACE you with somebody who WILL. After this season, you'll be sent back to USL or given your outright release.
Clyde Simms: [Clyde stands up] Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do.
Moreno: What's that?
Simms: Win the whole f’n thing.
[long pause]
Troy Perkins: [Troy stands up] Yeah.
Emilio: [Pedro pounds his hand] YES!

Posted by: Southeasterner | May 24, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Crap, I forgot to do my MFLS predictions and fell from 14th in the league to 83rd b/c of ZERO points earned!!

Posted by: delantero | May 24, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

You know things are bad when even I wish Tom Soehn was DCU's coach over "coach" Onalfo.

Quit wearing the suit. You just look like a fool week after week when your team looks like a High School JV team.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 24, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Houston Dynamo 2, D.C. United 0: 24,471 at Robertson Stadium
DCU = Dying Club Unraveling.

===================================

That's it? That and an AP story are all the WP committed to DCU this weekend? I understand Steve is working the World Cup but couldn't Paul or somebody else at least have turned on Galavision and written something on SI? This is a disturbing turn of events, IMO.

Posted by: croftonpost | May 24, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Checked out the DCU site -- seems they have a new slogan: "NOT GOOD ENOUGH"....

At least they're finally being candid.

I note that Stephen King has 15 minutes played. Dealing a 2nd rd. pick -- probably the 21st pick in the draft (#3 in Rd. 2), for King -- that's really working put. As I"ve said repeatedly, the team will regret dealing that pick, as DCU was just plain taken to the cleaners in that deal. A high pick in the 3rd round might have been too high a price. The 2nd rd. pick? Ridiculous.

Posted by: fischy | May 24, 2010 1:37 AM | Report abuse

"really working out".

Posted by: fischy | May 24, 2010 1:38 AM | Report abuse

We should make a trade for CHris Albright and bring him back as a forward. He didn't score, but at least his shots were on target - but mostly on the frame.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 24, 2010 1:52 AM | Report abuse

24k is the highest non-beckham/non-playoff/non-firstgameofseason/non-friendly attendance for Houston ever.

Posted by: crocken | May 24, 2010 2:03 AM | Report abuse

Predictions:

KP survives by bargaining with Will that he fires B. B. Kasper. He pulls the trigger during the World Cup break for two reasons: First, he can spin what follows the break into a "second season," distancing himself from the disasterous "first season." He believes he is good at making chicken salad out of ...

Second, a break like this, unprecedented in MLS, gives him some room to set up the remaining season and operate somewhat under the radar while attention is on the World Cup.

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 24, 2010 6:25 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to Chest on winning Argy Bargy Goff...I'll brag that at least I had the high score of the day.

Posted by: Reignking | May 24, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Steve -- as a long time season ticket holder at DC United, I'm mortified by this season. However, when you make a "Dying Club Unraveling" remark, I'm concerned. It's one thing for us internet nuts to speculate on the future of the club based on nothing more than a change in barometric pressure. It is another thing when a professional, competent journalist makes a "dying club" remark on his blog. If you know something, please report it, if you were just being snarky, I would add a disclaimer because your musings are held to a higher standard of accuracy than the general run of commentary on the interwebs.

Posted by: griffin1108 | May 24, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Well, I have held off criticizing Onalfo, because, as Goff has rightly pointed out, he has so little to work with. I still believe that is true.

HOWEVER ~ Even though the players we have are not as good, by a long shot, as the players on the other teams in the league, the display of "soccer" DCU put on vs Houston was laughable. We might not have the best players, or even good players, but still what we do have are supposed to be *professional soccer players*.

Well, DCU does not play like professional soccer players. The play vs Houston bordered on the incoherent, ESPECIALLY in the attacking third. Horrible.

Don't let the 0-2 scoreline fool you. Houston was clearly taking the night off. All they did was play a little soccer when they absolutely had to to get the game winner plus an insurance goal, other than that they might as well have had their iPads out for all the effort they had to put in.

So our players are either too old and slow (e.g., Moreno) or young versions of journeyman AJ Wood (Pontius, Christman) or just players who can't hack it (Castillo). But that doesn't mean they can't fight and compete. Yeah, they will still lose, because our roster is the worst in the league, but that doesn't mean you don't bother to even compete.

DCU isn't even competing. We look like the DC Wizards basketball team under Doug Collins. For that, you have to look at the coach. Sooner rather than later some MLS team isn't going to take the night off, and we'll get blown out 8-0. A couple of blowouts like that and Onalfo will be on the hotseat.

Posted by: Ron16 | May 24, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

What's wrong with "DCU = Dying Club Unraveling"? That is factual on its face.

Posted by: Ron16 | May 24, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Did the Union quit? They've only played 7 games. It's not like they are playing CONCACAF matches.

Posted by: Reignking | May 24, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

The club is not dying! Unraveling yes, but dying??? No. Every professional sports franchise has periods where they are not winning. Attendance is still strong despite the losses...

Posted by: alan19 | May 24, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

As its Dying Club Unraveling that makes Kasper and Payne the undertakers. They certainly have presided over the dead body and contributed to its burial. When will heads, at least one, roll? Or, is this some master stroke to make the move to another city more acceptable?! Are they that machiavellian?

Posted by: lovinliberty | May 24, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 23, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

i wish they had a bus to park. it's more like "parking the pickup truck". and, not even a good pickup truck; more like the pickup truck from "sanford & sons".

Posted by: birdynumnum | May 24, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

In response to the mailing it in, 'major league' theory, it is still too early to call this one. Maybe Payne and Kasper have a coherent plan for using all their freed up cash to bring in a real striker and a talent that could bring cohesion to our team in the middle. It can't be argued that there will be a much broader crop of available talent on the market after the World Cup.

With all this said, I have no confidence whatsoever that we are going to find what we need to meet our ills or that the FO will come through. From Chang on down to Onalfo, nobody seems to have a clue. It also doesn't help that we will be trying to recruit talent to play for the worst collection of players in the league in a decaying mess of a stadium and nothing promising on the horizon to resolve our stadium-less malaise.

These are dark days...

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | May 24, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Three shots hit the post, they didn't go in and that's part of the game...except for those three shots, the NYRB are looking more like the Metrostars of old; no team shape, no team movement, no passion/intensity and just about every pass needed to be carefully analyzed before it was delivered.

Posted by: juke2 | May 24, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

True, the Union didn't quit. But even *they* could have and still come out with a 1-1 draw. Bear in mind the Union was the team a number of posters here were assuming would be a cakewalk for DCU.

Its also true we beat the Wizards 2-1, but the Wizards played like they took the night off, PLUS being up all night the previous night doing who-knows-what. If the Wizards had al least stumbled in from the lounge by 5:00AM, they would have won going away.

Posted by: Ron16 | May 24, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Payne...first...toxic, very toxic...should have happened years ago.
Kasper is lost...no focus or direction in the FO and it doesn't matter who the coach is...

Posted by: LCR-54 | May 24, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

So, is United bringing back Franco Niell to play the part of Joboo?

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | May 24, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Ljungberg needs to learn that constant whining to the ref may come off as passionate to him and some of his Euro ilk, but in America, he's just being a crybaby. We don't like crybabies. Suck it up and play you sniveling little *****.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 24, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I thought they brought back Emilio to play Joboo??? He is from Brasil, I am sure he knows some kind of macumba!! ;)

Posted by: alan19 | May 24, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | May 24, 2010 8:12 AM
------------------------------------------------------

I had second highest score. Foolishly tabbed Eto'o to be my captain, instead of Milito. I'll crow about my 7th place finish, especially after starting in last place because I didn't register in time to get lineups in the first matchday...and didn't even know about "captains" until the quarterfinals. Looking forward to next season...which is more than I can say right now about DC United.

Posted by: fischy | May 24, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse