Onyewu's return, Milan in D.C., World Cup viewing

*From Post colleague Liz Clarke, who will join me in South Africa starting next week, a look at Oguchi Onyewu's first match in seven months.

*From Paul Tenorio, who will keep an eye on D.C. United while I am away, a preview of Wednesday night's friendly between the MLS club and AC Milan at RFK Stadium.

*From Metro reporter Christy Goodman, details of the effort to bring outdoor viewing of World Cup matches to Washington's Dupont Circle.

By Steve Goff  |  May 26, 2010; 7:24 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , D.C. United , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: AC Milan, Oguchi Onyewu, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The U.S. friendly and World Cup roster decisions
Next: U.S. World Cup roster announced

Comments

What's left for you to do? ;-)
Way to delegate!

AC/DC - I pick DC 3-2

Posted by: dcufan | May 26, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

If Bocanegra starts *at left back* against England . . .

Posted by: delantero | May 26, 2010 1:06 AM | Report abuse

IF not Bocanegra then who?

Posted by: alan19 | May 26, 2010 1:06 AM | Report abuse

`

I've said it here a few times folks. Unfortunately we can't expect Coach Bradley to figure this out:

Franke Hedjuk should be on the squad. He'd be our best defensive wingback.

Posted by: Vicc | May 26, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Franke Hedjuk should be on the squad. He'd be our best defensive wingback.

Posted by: Vicc | May 26, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Thats a BIG statement to say Hedjuk would be our best wingback. None the less i agree that the squad would benefit from his hustle and aggression. But its all up to Coach Bradley, & he has dem' boys playing swell. So im happy with whoever he finds suitable for his 23 man roster

US HOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: GOmellyDOTcom | May 26, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Hejduk, maybe. I wonder what David Regis is doing?

Posted by: Ron16 | May 26, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

For some reason I spent 90 dollars on 2 tickets for tonights game. Been regretting it every since. 5:45 AM comes fast. I don't know how you all do it for a career and can't wait till I get graduate school done so I can live the cushioned life of a professor. I call 2-0 Milan.

Having said this, my night will be worth it if I get a picture with Seedorf.

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 26, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Interesting, and great, that the Post is sending two reporters to South Africa. I think of Liz Clarke as covering cars and drivers, but what do I know, maybe she's a closet soccer freak. And even if not, a fresh look would be good. At least she is OK with shirt sponsors.

Hoping that a NASCAR writer will be comfortable with the perfectly wonderful words "speed" and "fast" rather than "pace" and "pacy."

Posted by: OWNTF | May 26, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Wait, I count four Post reporters working soccer stories this week.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 26, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Having said this, my night will be worth it if I get a picture with Seedorf.

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 26, 2010 9:04 AM

`

Oh yea and don't forget to ask for some of that "kush" he's prolly carrying.

Posted by: Vicc | May 26, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Vicc:

No disrespect, but Hejduk hasn't held that title ever, and certainly not in the past few years. He's been in marked decline since about halfway through the 2009 MLS season. He's still a good MLS player, but that's a big step down from international play.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 26, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Vicc, if I meet Seedorf I will certainly ask.

I agree with Rockwell, I do not understand the hopla about Hedjuck. I enjoy watching his hustle but I do not think he is still international quality. I think Bradley knows he will go with Spector of Dolo on the left. Bornstein will make the squad probably as the last defender because of his utility. We can all breath a little.

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 26, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I apologize for terribly misspelling Hejduk. I didn't feel like scrolling up and checking it.

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 26, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Looking forward to seeing Liz's work on soccer. Usually it goes the other way. Marcela Sanchez came on specifically for the 94 cup and then ended up as an international affairs reporter and columnist. One of the smartest moves the Post ever made (one of the dumbest was letting her get away).

Posted by: troy6 | May 26, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Liz Clarke in S.A.? Springsteen must be on a Southern Hemisphere tour.

Posted by: benonthehill | May 26, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

"Oh, and he's also not a left back. Yeah, he's been there in desperate emergencies, but I'd liken that to facing a 500 mile drive on your car's donut spare (you know, the one that can't go over 50mph and is probably not as well inflated as you'd like)."

Hejduk started 4 games at left back in the 2002 WC, and that worked out pretty well for us.

(I think he's too old to help us in 2010 though)

Posted by: joe_hill | May 26, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't Wilbon going to SA? Or was that before Daddy Duty began?

Posted by: Juan-John1 | May 26, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Beasley can start at left back, he's a very good defender and his pace would be useful against England...and that allows Bradley to get Donovan, Dempsey, and Holden on the field as well.

Posted by: teo_68 | May 26, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Beasley can start at left back
Posted by: teo_68

See WC Qualifiers. Please tell me you're joking.

Frankie Hedjuk should be on the squad. He'd be our best defensive wingback.
Posted by: Vicc

I like Frankie and am surprised he hasn't been in the conversation. He's proven himself plenty of times and he's got the pace to stay with Wolcott/Lennon. He doesn't quit. He's got experience.

But (1) doesn't he play R back? and (2) he's not in the 30 and therefore, as far as I know, can't be called up now.

Posted by: delantero | May 26, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

In the article and on NPR this morning, Gooch dismissed the suggestion that he's not ready. It will be very interesting to see how he performs in the next two friendlies.

Posted by: hungrypug | May 26, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Let's put the Hejduk stuff to rest. He's a fierce, gutsy competitor. One of the unsung heroes of the last decade. But if you think he needs to be on the WC roster, let alone our starting LB, please go watch the Denmark game from November a couple times before you post again.

Though, granted, he shouldn't any further out of the conversation than Pearce.

Posted by: benonthehill | May 26, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Frankie scored the tying goal against El Salvador at El Salvador, and was, in my opinion, one of our best players in parts of this WCQ campaign. He was injured, not selected for the Confed Cup and then disappeared off the radar.

He can still play. Certainly better than Pearce, probably better than Bornstein.

Posted by: delantero | May 26, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Pelligrini to be fired today.

Pelligrini to DCU!

Posted by: Reignking | May 26, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Guillermo Franco available on free transfer after West Ham did not extend his deal. He is a good player. Get him.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | May 26, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Anyone have an idea how many tickets were sold for the DC United/AC Milan match tonight?

Posted by: harkes4ever | May 26, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

harkes, I have no idea, but I can't imagine that the quote from Seedorf is going to help walk-up sales. (Yes, it's obvious they wouldn't be motivated for the game, but I can't imagine the DCU brass were to happy to see it in print.)

"Well, we're not motivated. We're just not motivated," Seedorf said on Monday.

Posted by: nairbsod | May 26, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

For those about to rock... fire!

As for the ice on Gooch's leg after the game, I think that's SOP -- more of a precaution than a treatment. That was a gi-normous bag of ice, though. I think DudeRyan and troy6 could keep a 12-pack of Iron City Light chilled with what Gooch had on his leg.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 26, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I have seen Hedjuk powned recently in the MLS. Too old.

Posted by: GeneWells | May 26, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

IC Light? They aren't going to Pittsburgh.

Posted by: Reignking | May 26, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I thought Hejduk should have been on the roster purely for experience, leadership, and training tenacity. I wouldn't have expected him to see any time, but I'd certainly rather see him than Pearce and probably Bornstein.

Regardless, I expect the back line against England to go (from left to right) Spector, Bocanegra, Demerit, Cherundolo. Gooch did not look healthy. I don't think he's 100% recovered. I noticed an ever-so-slight limp in his running from the outset of the game, and I think his following play showed how out of sync he is. I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Gooch on the bench to start the WC.

Posted by: psps23 | May 26, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I have seen Hedjuk powned recently in the MLS. Too old.

Posted by: GeneWells | May 26, 2010 12:23 PM

so since he was "powned", would you describe him as a "newb"

saw on MLS's facebook that Ching supposedly was seen at the airport on his way back to Houston.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 26, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone explain why Bradley would waste a spot on DaMarcus Beasley?

Posted by: chuckgfatman | May 26, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone explain why Bradley would waste a spot on DaMarcus Beasley?

Posted by: chuckgfatman | May 26, 2010 1:18 PM

speed. versatility. 90 caps. 2 world cups.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 26, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

No Ching is a HUGE suprise. I though he played well last night.

No EJ, Sacha, Conrad, Rogers...

No Hejduk either =-)

Posted by: tphasbdp | May 26, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: garbageout | May 26, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

speed. versatility. 90 caps. 2 world cups.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 26, 2010 1:24 PM

I think you just described Hedjuk! He is the hot topic here though. Anyway, all good points, but even the leading scoring has to retire at some point. I've never been convinced that Beasley was anything other than wheels. That alone does not raise a team's chances. He does not seem to create anything other than confusion.

Posted by: chuckgfatman | May 26, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Findley. Wow. Here's a quick test for Gooch: Let's ask AC Milan to let him play a half against DCU this evening. If DC scores a goal Gooch stays on the bench the whole tournament.

Posted by: dcarmy | May 26, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse