Quaranta, Najar sidelined for D.C. United

D.C. United midfielder Santino Quaranta was hospitalized Thursday night with an infection in his leg and will not accompany the club to Texas for Saturday's match against FC Dallas, Coach Curt Onalfo said.

"He has an in-grown hair that is infected. It's really nasty," Onalfo said. "The worry is that it is a staph infection. ... I am sure he is going to be okay, but he is going to need to be on antibiotics for 48 hours."

Meantime, midfielder Andy Najar was scheduled to have an MRI exam for a lingering ankle injury. He will not travel to Dallas. Najar left last weekend's match against the New York Red Bulls early in the second half because of soreness that affected his performance and did not play Wednesday against the Kansas City Wizards.

"He just hasn't been right," Onalfo said. The MRI is "just to rule out anything. We don't think it's anything major. We want to get him right because when he is right, he has that juice and youthfulness that is nice to inject into our team."

Defender Julius James has recovered from a groin injury and will be available Saturday, but midfielder Brandon Barklage has a leg ailment that will apparently keep him home.

As expected, Bill Hamid will start in goal for the second consecutive match. Goalkeeping details later.....

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  May 7, 2010; 11:46 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags: Andy Najar, Curt Onalfo, D.C. United, FC Dallas, MLS, Santino Quaranta
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Details of MLS expansion to Montreal
Next: Stuart Holden, World Cup, Mexico, D.C. United

Comments

I think someone else mentioned the look on Perkins face after the last game when congratulating Hamid. I think his look said it all. Until Hamid slips, the starting job is his.

Posted by: nairbsod | May 7, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

a hospital visit for an in-grown hair? ok, im ready to beleive in the curse of Poplar Point. or whatever everyone decided to call it.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 7, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Let's start a pool. In which week will the number of unavailable players exceed the number of available ones? I'm thinking week 10.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 7, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Q sidelined by one bad hair. Unbelievable.

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Wo! Hamid gets the start again! I really didn't expect that the expensive acquisition would remain on the bench.

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

The Follicles of Quaranta.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 7, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

So no Q, Najar, Barklage, or Pontius...who would be next in line to cover for Castillo?

Maybe move Rodney up, Julius James in the middle and Talley at LB. Or am getting folks out of position here?

Posted by: eadc | May 7, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Midfield, midfield, midfield - I'd give my left arm for Gomez right now and both arms for someone younger and faster.

Posted by: tcbannon | May 7, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Santino admits his medical problems with such bravery--it's inspirational. So here goes:

I had an infection (which started as an ingrown hair) on the top of my foot in college, and it was terrible. I had to sit out a couple practices, and my coach was really angry; it's the kind of thing that seems like the player's fault, even though it's not. Even after I returned, I'd practice and hit the showers and go have the puss squeezed out of it again, and after the trainers were done I was drenched in sweat from the pain. It took antibiotics and about 10 days to heal to the point where I could really strike a ball properly.

It all sounds so stupid, and I would only own up to this anonymously. Anyway, get well Tino.

Posted by: hungrypug | May 7, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

This is stupid. If we lose, bad luck, if we win, more bad luck. Screw superstition, we need some Voodoo doctors stat.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 7, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Tino better pray it isn't MRSA. That's nothing to screw around with. Just ask Kenny George.

Posted by: jburksva | May 7, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

"midfielder Brandon Barklage has a leg ailment"

Go ahead and say it... he pulled his hamstring. I know it.

The trainers let Q. develop an infection from an ingrown hair, and Boyzzz suffers from infections under his cast. Plus all these hamstring pulls and hernias.

Fire the trainers.

Posted by: WorldCup | May 7, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"midfielder Brandon Barklage has a leg ailment"

Go ahead and say it... he pulled his hamstring. I know it.

Fire the trainers.

Posted by: WorldCup | May 7, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Fire the depilatory staff!

Posted by: benonthehill | May 7, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Agreed--MRSA is really serious stuff. Skins signed a nose tackle from Dallas a couple of years back. In one year with staph infection with antibiotic resistance, he dropped over 100 pounds and his career was ended.

And let's hope that Najar's ankle isn't bad that this truly is just a precaution.

As for hoping for Gomez....I was a huge fan of his. But he's way past it. And even in his hey-day, he needed to play in a 5-man midfield with engines like Gros or Olsen covering ground for him. Wanting Gomez is like wanting the team to sign Etcheverry (except Marco might have more impact with his ability to strike a ball from distance).

Posted by: JoeW1 | May 7, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

We're doomed!

I think you have to be in a hospital to get MRSA. But, Tino should be careful now.

Pro athletes live in a different world, don't they? My ankle hasn't been right since I turned it over a year ago. Am I getting an MRI?

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Noble is the guy you are thinkin of JoeW.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 7, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"The Follicle Chronicles" starring Boyzz and Tino

*I think you have to be in a hospital to get MRSA*

Likely you MRSA on your right now. Quick, run . . . .http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/ar_mrsa_ca_public.html. . and it says 1%, but woefully underreported, imho.

Posted by: delantero | May 7, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the majority of people reading this have MRSA either in their sinuses or in their GI tracts. Merely being exposed to it isn't a problem, but being sick and immunocompromised, like most people in a hospital are, greatly increases the odds of infection.

It's just one of those things people should be aware of, but not let it take over their lives like swine flu *cough*media*cough*.

Posted by: Josh86 | May 7, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

You can get MRSA anywhere. Places that see the highest transmission rates are hospitals, gyms, prisons, public bathrooms, hotels. It is very common, and easy to get, sweat is one of the most common transmission methods. I definitely feel for Tino and hope he has a quick and successful recovery.

I think DCU has had a few too many injuries and health issues the past two years to have not made some major changes in the training staff.

Posted by: beltwayrob | May 7, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

We're doomed!

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse
_____________________________________________

You gotta think of it this way. Pro atheltes are just looking over their tools. That is their feet, legs, etc.

Yea, you might have played with a cracking ankle, but you probably never played at the highest level, where all athletes around you are at a physical peak, which means even something as little as a nagging ankle can drop your performance.

Like racecars, the littlest thing can cause you to lose a race, as thats all it takes.

Not to mention the stress these players take playing games all the time, running 6-7 miles a game. Their bodies have to be looked over like.... race cars lol.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | May 7, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

If Hamid works out, does DC United management get the praise for finding/developing and promoting a youth player? Or do they get the blame for overpaying for backup keeper in Perkins? Still I suppose it's a good problem to have. Now if they can only fix the health issues...

Posted by: tundey | May 7, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

The obvious solution to this issue is just to have all players shave their legs.

Posted by: DCUMD | May 7, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

So after reading this thread, I'm supposed to shave my legs, look over my tool, and pick my nose...

Posted by: JkR- | May 7, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR- | May 7, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Stupid interweb...

Posted by: JkR- | May 7, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I sincerely hope its not, but if Tino has a staph infection or MRSA they had better clean that locker room like its never been cleaned before.

Posted by: patrick18 | May 7, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Pro athletes shouldn't have too many people taking care of their tools, right Tiger?

Posted by: OWNTF | May 7, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm gram staining myself as we speak. Do people Gram stain anymore, or just go straight to pyrosequencing?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 7, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Sigh......I'm on the phone with FIOS and once again are good friends at Indemand are reportedly screwing up. Per the FIOS rep, Indemand currently is planning on blacking out the game in our area. He is trying to resolve the problem but........

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 7, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

FYI-If you get DK through Dish Network or DirectTV this wouldn't affect you but if you get DK through a cable company then it does.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 7, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

No Tino= Win for United

Posted by: knape1 | May 7, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

The DC United Blues, apologies to Marvin Gaye

Whoa, oh MRSA MRSA me
Oh, things ain't what they used to be, no no
Where did all the soccer go?
We are now the team that blows
Most in both the West and East

Ah-ha, ah MRSA MRSA me
Oh, things ain't what they used to be, no no
No possession on the ground, everything's up high;
Attacks go to our midfield just to die . .

Whoa MRSA MRSA me
Oh, things ain't what they used to be
What about our underwhelming band
How much more abuse can we all stand?

Posted by: OWNTF | May 7, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Hamid looked great against KC but had some luck, too. He did very well at higher shots and crosses but wasn't tested too much with low shots. Also was a bit hesitant a couple of times as passes came into the penalty area but recovered well.

If Hamid doesn't do as well tomorrow hopefully he can learn from it and keep improving. But I hope he gets a shutout.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 7, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: patrick18 | May 7, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I bet the sanitation ship sailed on the RFK locker rooms years ago.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 7, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 7, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------

Ha! No, we do not.

Posted by: Josh86 | May 7, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I was just informed that they have rectified the blackout problem. Fingers crossed......

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 7, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Some pics from the new Beat-KSU stadium in the link. The writer refers to it as "Women's Red Bull Arena" or something like that. Hard to argue, got me to reply to the Beat Volunteership email I got earlier.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 7, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I bet the sanitation ship sailed on the RFK locker rooms years ago.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 7, 2010 2:12 PM

thats what i was thinking...

Perkins will be back when he gets his head right, but in the mean time Hamid gets some great experience. A 1st rounder and Fred doesn't seem like too much to give up for a guy who at worst is currently the #5 keeper in the national team pool. hes just going through a rough patch right now.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 7, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Did we hire the Crew's training staff from 4 or 5 years ago? They were dropping like flies too.

Posted by: Atlanta4MLS | May 7, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Fire the depilatory staff!
Posted by: benonthehill
==========

Well played.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 7, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm--Etcheverry....

Posted by: lovinliberty | May 7, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for link Jacob. That place looks smart. Hell, FC Dallas couldn't even fill it up.

What's the word on Tobin Heath's ankle? The only bummer about this stadium opening is that she won't be playing.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 7, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

>>There was something I heard the other day about some athlete (I think it was some Euro footballer, but it might have been an American basketball player or baseball player) who was getting his third scan (ankle?) in like a month. Ya gotta believe these guys are really increasing their cancer risk...

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

There is no ionizing radiation during an MRI--it uses radio waves, not X-rays--so there is no increased risk of cancer.

Posted by: chemweapon | May 7, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Graham Stain? Good radio name.

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Ug. Just saw this article on ESPN:
MLS adds Montreal, wants 2nd NY club

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

MLS needs to know that those dopes at inDemand are planning on blacking out a the DCU/FCD game on the DC-area cable systems where IT IS NOT ON TV!

Ping/call/email/write MLS at 212-450-2200 and let them know that their games are being mishandled by idiots who don't know any better!

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 7, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

eadc:

Talley can't play left back. You could bring James in, push Talley to the right, and move Graye to the left, but I feel like that would leave Talley badly exposed to Brek Shea's speed.

Like it or not, our left side is going to be Wallace and Castillo until people get fit. When Pontius comes back, or when Quaranta recovers and fights his way back into the team, I'd guess we'll see Khumalo switch wings (unless Castillo suddenly figures MLS out).

***

Glad to see so many people are in a joking mood. The wonders of getting 3 points, I'm guessing.

It would appear that Onalfo can't change his team around even if he wanted to. By my count, 8 players (Quinn, Jakovic, Burch, Namoff, Barklage, Najar, Quaranta, and Pontius) are unavailable on a roster of 26.

Still, despite that and the win, I would be just fine seeing James come in for Talley centrally. Dallas will start Cunningham or Harris up front, and in either case both Talley and Pena will not be able to compete athletically.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 7, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

"Ya gotta believe these guys are really increasing their cancer risk..."

As far as I know, Magnetic Resonance, which uses no radiation has no risk cancer risk. That's CT scans that caused all the commotion recently.

*For a simplified description of how MRIs are made: Extremely strong radio waves (10,000 to 30,000 times stronger than the magnetic pull of the earth) are sent through the body. This temporarily moves the nuclei of the (primarily hydrogen) atoms that make up the body’s cells. When they move back, they emit their own radio waves, which are captured by the scanner.

Posted by: delantero | May 7, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I just noticed we're only 5 points shy of the last playoff spot.

Posted by: DaninFL | May 7, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm gram staining myself as we speak. Posted by: I-270Exit1

Watch out for the double graped rods. The rods lead to Cipro and a Macrolide, preferably in a painful injection so ya remember for next time.

"Oh, MRSA, MRSA, me"

Classic post! Thanks for the fun today.

Posted by: delantero | May 7, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Uh, I think the problem is that Tino already shaves his legs and that's how he got the ingrown hair.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 7, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Haha, people get so upity sometimes! the MRI for Najar is most likely precautionary. Like someone mentioned earlier - they play at such a high level, just about every injury gets an x-ray/MRI/whatever to make sure it gets treated correctly the first time.

Tino will be fine in a week or two. I had college decathlete with MRSA and he was able to practice later that week, but Tino does play at a higher level, so it may take a little more time.

Prevention is a part of an athletic trainers education, but there's only so much we can do, which is why we are there the entire season! Otherwise we'd go through preventative techniques and leave. But fortunately, our job includes first aid, evaluation, assessment, treatment, and rehabilitation of athletic injuries. Which definitely makes our job a little more fun! Annnd I'm stepping off the soap box now...

Yay for the weekend!!!

Posted by: Jmay18 | May 7, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I hope Tino recovers but I am glad he is not playing on Saturday.

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | May 7, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

If Etch is ready to suit up, put him in. ;-).

Man I can't wait till Andy has few games as a mid with the rest of the team. Using him with Clyde behind him to feed Danny and Adam may work out yet.

Posted by: tcbannon | May 7, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Re: Hamid

If he's good enough to take over the starting gig soon, than he'll be on his way to Europe in the next 2-3 years, and we'll need someone of Perkins' capabilities.

Posted by: alecw81 | May 7, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse