Stuart Holden, World Cup, Mexico, D.C. United

*USA midfielder Stuart Holden, sidelined since March after suffering a broken leg in the friendly against the Netherlands, might play for Bolton in the season finale Sunday against Birmingham.

*Two brothers, two World Cup squads, a face-to-face meeting in South Africa? It might happen.

*Did FIFA almost pull the World Cup from South Africa in January?

*A local organizer seeking to show World Cup matches on big screens at Washington's Dupont Circle has submitted an application to FIFA for a public viewing license. Michael Lipin said he is awaiting word from FIFA, pursuing a National Park Service permit and arranging for a video feed into the park. D.C. United's Screaming Eagles supporters group has become a sponsor, he said.

*My Saturday print-edition story about United's goalkeeping situation -- Bill Hamid to start again -- is now available online.

Much more.....

*A Mexican second-division player was killed in an apparent robbery.

*Mexico's national team, which will play Ecuador at the sold-out, new Meadowlands stadium tonight (9 p.m. ET, Telemundo), will also perform in front of a capacity crowd Monday against Senegal at Chicago's Soldier Field (9 p.m. ET, Telemundo), organizers announced. El Tri has already played this year before 90,000 at the Rose Bowl (New Zealand) and 63,000 in Charlotte (Iceland).

*D.C. United is in Dallas on Saturday (no standard TV coverage), but two other pro matches will take place in the area:

-- WPS: Washington Freedom vs. Boston Breakers, 7 p.m. (Comcast SportsNet)
-- USL2: Real Maryland at Richmond Kickers, 7 p.m.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  May 7, 2010; 4:31 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Americans Abroad , D.C. United , FIFA , Freedom , MLS , Mexico , U.S. men's national team , USL , Women  | Tags: Bill Hamid, D.C. United, FIFA, MLS, Meadowlands Stadium, Soccer, Stuart Holden, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quaranta, Najar sidelined for D.C. United
Next: Saturday kickaround

Comments

I hope the USMNT gets as big as El Tri someday....in the US.

Posted by: DetroitTFC | May 7, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

One problem I didn't realize before with the Dupont idea...that's also Pride weekend and the parade is the 12th. Kind of a big deal in dupont...

Posted by: joshuaostevens | May 7, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

All I got to say is I am excited to see Hamid start again. He seems like a beast in the making. I hope Holden plays this weekend.

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 7, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

hi joshua - we're definitely aware that the pride parade is on the 12th (and excited to see it!) but thankfully, it starts at 6:30pm, two hours after the USA v England match ends... so there won't any overlap.

Posted by: mlipin | May 7, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

well, the Pride parade is in the evening. And the matches should be over well before it starts so that shouldn't be an issue.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 7, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

$1 will be donated to Soccer in the Park when you use coupon code "Dupont" to purchase The American Fan's World Cup Handbook at worldcuphandbook.com.

Posted by: la2stl | May 7, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that's bad timing...

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

To repeat a query from an earlier thread: Is anyone planning to see the Freedom game in person, and then watch the United match at a nearby watering hole? I just learned that the Germantown Glory Days, a logical destination, closed several weeks ago, and I'm not familiar with any other options in that vicinity. I guess Plan B would be to abandon my plans to go to the 'Plex, in favor of a four-hour marathon on a barstool somewhere, in which case I would stay closer to my home in VA.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 7, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm calling total BS on the fact that the match tomorrow night isn't on Comcast. WTF? I understand forcing your hand to go to a home match in the beginning of the season by the FO, but pulling this baloney for an away game 7 weeks into the season is a steaming pile of horse manure. Wishful thinking for the Caps getting out of the first round? A Champion's League Magazine show?

Weak BS.
Where THE eff is the viewing party? SE's at the Conti again?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 7, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm very against the AZ law that has recently been signed by their governor. However, I wouldn't mind having it in place tonight in the Meadowlands.

Posted by: Hoost | May 7, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

This whole games not being televised is getting old. There are other teams in the league that have ALL their games televised. Get it done. This is so amateurish. Why would anyone take this league let alone sport seriously?

Posted by: sire1 | May 7, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

"MEXICO CITY (AP)—A Mexican second-division soccer player was killed while driving his car in an apparent robbery attempt in Mexico City, officials said on Friday.

Guillermo Meza, a defender for Pumas Morelos, is the third soccer player to be shot in the Mexican capital this year. The other two survived their attacks."

So if I'm a scout for DC United I’m on a flight to Mexico with a stack of contracts for Club America, Pumas and Chivas players with an added signing bonus of life.

Posted by: Southeasterner | May 8, 2010 2:30 AM | Report abuse

Bill Hamid is a BFD.

I second the comments about the game not being on local TV. Getting very old. At least it's a chance to check out the Freedom, I guess.

Posted by: nairbsod | May 8, 2010 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | May 7, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Go to the Freedom game. If there were a DCU viewing option, there would be several other choices, including a Green Turtle sports bar across the street from the movie theater in Germantown.

Posted by: Jedi65 | May 8, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fedssocr | May 7, 2010 5:55 PM

So literally no one shows up early for any parade related setup, or just staking out a prime viewing spot? Just asking.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | May 8, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

OT:
*US Capital hopeful of first Grand Tour start outside of Europe

The Giro d'Italia is turning into a globe trotter. The 2010 version of the race starts today in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and the tentative plans to stage the opening of the race in Washington, DC in 2012 are begging to take shape.

Posted by: delantero | May 8, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Somebody help me out here:

Wasn't a second Comcast Sportsnet created a few years ago to deal with the crowded sports schedule, particularly in the spring? This would have been similar to the MASN and MASN2. I clearly remember that this second service was put out there to assure that DCU games, Wizards, and Caps games all made it onto the region's cable systems.

Setting aside the fact that the coverage of the Wizards and the Caps would now only be of their exploits on the golf course, wouldn't this second service solve the proble DCU are facing tonight?

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 8, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Yes i agree wtf is going on here. Both the Caps and the Wizards are done. We should be getting live coverage of the game! DCU front office needs to open their mouths! Of course unless they are showing the nats?

Posted by: g3impreza | May 8, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

DCU is afraid to comment on this TV issue becasue it might open up some issues that DCU would prefer to keep under wraps.

One of the aspects of the DCU TV deals with Comcast in recent years that KP was very willing to trumpet was that the team's deal had evolved into a rights' fee after initially (going back to when Comcast was known as Home Team Sports) being a time-buy arrangement.

Perhaps the current deal is not a lucrative for DCU as KP has made it out to be. Perhpas DCU's revenue is tied to its ratings, which might have flattened due to the team's terrible performance, and with most rights' fee deals, the team has to pay production costs, which it is saving on when a gamne is not televised.

Who knows? These deals are complicated, but the bottom line, literally and figuratively, is that this game is not available to DC-area viewers on any platform other than MLS Free Kick, and that is hardly majoer league and has to be an embarrassment to DCU.

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 8, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | May 8, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

If anyone has access to streams or FS+ - check out the Leeds match & League 1 race for the last promotion spot. Amazing stuff - live table promotion spot has gone from Leeds to Swindon to Charlton to Millwall and back to Leeds again in an hour. Leeds are down to ten men but have come back to lead 2-1.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 8, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

delantero: neat idea -- would help the sport to spread -- but makes no sense. Jet lag, equipment transportation...what a nightmare.Posted by: Reignking

Silence that talk!!

It's a great idea, and would bring some great riders to DC. That's all I need to know.

Plus, I have a course that would be a great one day stage race. Beach Drive to Ridge Road, back to Beach then up the back side into Adams Morgan by the Zoo (Harvard St to 18th St up the Muur de Morgan, through Dupont and down Rock Creek Parkway by the Mosque then down to Hains Point. 11-12 loops = sad0-mascochistic.

Posted by: delantero | May 8, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

At least it's a chance to check out the Freedom, I guess.

Posted by: nairbsod | May 8, 2010 6:54 AM |
----------------------------------------------------

Irrelevant. Freedom play from 7 to 9. The DCU game is at 9. The Freedom game coverage puts the lie to the point that the channel might have been reserved for hockey and plans can't be switched.

Also, CSN hasn't broadcast the Nats games for several years. The Nats are on MASN.

There's no particular good reason why CSN couldn't change its schedule to show the United game, except the travel and production cost. Of course, CSN could use the Dallas or MLS feed and announce the games from CSN's own studios, the way many networks cover foreign matches.

In fact, I don't know why DCU doesn't chip in to broadcast the game, if it's not already provided for in the contract. It might seem like they're undercutting their own negotiating position, but it's better than being shut out of coverage for an away game.

Posted by: fischy | May 8, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I remember the good old days of the Tour DuPont -- they did a DC stage. Looping through Arlington Cemetery -- can't remember how many circuits. Getting to see Greg Lemond and Lance Armstrong ride -- the once and future champ -- awesome.

Posted by: fischy | May 8, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Y'know -- I had to check my memory against a little research online. I had remembered that the Arlington Cemetery circuit stage race was the one that Lemond served notice he might be a top rider again after he had been shot by his brother. That didn't check out against the dates I saw online for the Tour Dupont.

Turns out my memory was pretty good -- except it wasn't the Tour Dupont. It was the predecessor, Tour de Trump (yeah, that Trump). It was almost 2 years since he'd been filled with shot by his bro' -- and Lemond pulled out a 3rd place finish in Arlington, with Davis Phinney winning the stage. That was Lemond's first podium finish for a stage since the accident. He won the Tour de France later that year.

Posted by: fischy | May 8, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jedi65 | May 8, 2010 7:00 AM
__________________________________________

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I have asked the Germantown GT for confirmation that they have DK and will be showing the game, and I have not yet received a reply, so I still don't know what I'm going to do. Has anyone else been to the Germantown GT? Is it soccer-friendly?

Posted by: universityandpark | May 8, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse