Tuesday kickaround

*Final auditions for U.S. World Cup hopefuls await tonight against the Czech Republic at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Conn. (8 p.m. ET, ESPN, Galavision).

*Is Turkish champion Bursaspor interested in American defender Heath Pearce?

*Other friendlies involving World Cup teams:
Cameroon at Georgia
Greece vs. North Korea (available online at ESPN3.com)
Paraguay at Ireland

*Bulgaria Coach Stanimir Stoilov, on the vuvuzela effect during his team's 1-1 draw with South Africa in Johannesburg: "I also had problems in communicating with my players because of the noise. But then I understand that this is a South African tradition that we have to live with for as long as we are coming to play them here." Bafana Bafana is unbeaten in nine straight.

*Portugal was held to an unsettling 0-0 draw by the Cape Verde Islands, ranked No. 117 by FIFA.

*Algeria loses starting midfielder Mourad Meghni to injury.

*D.C. United's Bryan Namoff and wife Nadine are using an annual benefit to come to the aid of former MLS midfielder Joe Vide.

*Seattle's Jhon Kennedy Hurtado, one of MLS's top defenders, is in danger of missing the rest of the season with a knee injury.

*Besides its visit to Baltimore on July 31 to play Manchester City, European champion Inter Milan has added dates with FC Dallas on Aug. 5 at Pizza Hut Park and the Los Angeles Galaxy two days later at Home Depot Center.

By Steve Goff  |  May 25, 2010; 6:25 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , D.C. United , Italy , MLS , Portugal , South Africa , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Bursaspor, D.C. United, Heath Pearce, Inter Milan, Portugal, Seattle Sounders, South Africa, U.S. national team, World Cup, vuvuzela
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Argentina 5, Canada 0
Next: U.S. roster clues?

Comments

Another day's reporting, and by implication, another day where DCU's Kevin Pain and Curt On-awful appear to still be employed. Oh, well, maybe tomorrow - or as soon as Willie Chang gets his head out of the sushi bar and starts paying attention to what's going on here. Naaaaah.

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | May 25, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

hofbrauhausde -- do we really need to go there? Criticize Chang all you want, but please do without the ethnic slurs ...

Posted by: jofij | May 25, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Ethnic slurs aside, translating that Turkish article w/ Google chrome is quite hilarious.

Posted by: mizage | May 25, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

A rather confused racial slur at that. I guess any Asian stereotype will do?

Posted by: glfrazier | May 25, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

yup, that's my Portugal. "we are better than you so you must lay down and let us beat you." I didn't see the game but I'll bet there was plenty of internal bickering, showboating in the first half, and cheap fouls in the second.

Posted by: troy6 | May 25, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I was reading about Bursapor's season on soccernet the other day, and I was wondering -- is that the team that was originally interested in Pearce, but couldn't get the deal done? I know it ended in "spor" ;)

Posted by: Reignking | May 25, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

The US better show up and play because the Czech Rep. looked CRAP against Turkey. If the Czech Rep looks remotely good against the US... worry.

Posted by: elfelixg | May 25, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

The only thing Chang has done wrong is not sack Payne & Kasper. Aside from that, PK run the team, so spare us the racial Bu11 S61t!

Posted by: lovinliberty | May 25, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

The article on the US team talks about a motivational speech given on Monday after dinner. I'd love to see Hacksaw Jim Duggan give that speech: USA! USA! USA! USA! HOOOO!

hehehe

Posted by: nairbsod | May 25, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

In defense of hofbrauhausde, I think.

I thought it was a San Fran slur, notice the last word in his sentence: "here".

And if the "Willie" Chang was also a reference to the former San Fran mayor, then well done, indeed.

Posted by: jojosbo | May 25, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

North Korea, Greek defense, torpedo, sink -- assemble your own joke.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 25, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I'd been wondering where Joe Vide was. Nice writeup about DCU by someone other than Goff, think of it.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 25, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: elfelixg

------------------------------------------

Agreed. Anything less than a victory against the Czechs will be a foreshadow of things to come. The Czechs are no longer at their peak after losing Nedved and Koller to retirement, Rosicky and Baros to injury.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | May 25, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

This isnt the first time Bursaspor are after pearce:

They just have to pay a transfer fee for him now, instead of getting him for free.

Posted by: strago | May 25, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

The stupidity in this world is hardly confined to Kasper, but is rampant among those who think that the first post in this string was an ethnic slur of Will.

People who use the principle of political correctness to attack the words or conduct of others better be darned sure of what they are saying before they damage the person who is allegedly engaging in wrongful conduct.

Jofij, you have wronged hofbrauhausde with your ingnorance of the facts and you should be ashamed.

Setting aside the fact that Will is of Chinese derivation, and Sushi has Japanese roots and therefore what was written was by definition impossibly an ethnic slur, the slam was clearly a cultural reference to Will's Bay Area roots and is well within bounds.

Be sure what you say, you dope, before you attack someone.

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 25, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I ask out of total ignorance: is "sushi bar" a nickname for San Francisco?

Posted by: troy6 | May 25, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Who doesn't eat sushi these days?

Posted by: Reignking | May 25, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I don't eat sushi. Don't like it and there are other ethnic stereotype foods that I prefer: somosas, burritos, fortune cookies, hamburgers, pizza, unleavened bread.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 25, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Who doesn't eat sushi these days?

Posted by: Reignking | May 25, 2010 9:41 AM
-------------------

The Amish, thank you very much.

Posted by: AmishJim | May 25, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

other ethnic stereotype foods that I prefer: unleavened bread.
Posted by: I-270Exit1

No one likes unleavened bread.

Posted by: delantero | May 25, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Bad news for Hurtado. According to my Soccer America e-mail he had to scramble back alone to cover Wondoloski as Keller had moved up the field looking for a last gasp equalizer.

Seattle supposedly has lots of depth in central defense but any replacements will be be of significantly lesser quality.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 25, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

"Be sure what you say, you dope, before you attack someone."

There we go -- civility has been restored to SI.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 25, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Re: Mexico. They better have played well, it's only their 5th game together.

Re: US. I really expect zilch out of tonight. If the reports of constant conditioning are correct, our touch/passing should be pretty poor.

Am excited to see the new additions, though.

Posted by: delantero | May 25, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Isn't garlic naan unleavened? If not, i retract the unleavened bread.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 25, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Charisma_Man:

I thought I read that the Czech squad for the US game was going to be a marked improvement over their team against the Turks. I wish I could remember where.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 25, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Who doesn't eat sushi these days?

Posted by: Reignking
-----------------------------------------
Ole yanki Yank is not down with the Sushi.
I am not trying to eat the stuff. At all. Closed mind and mouth. I am not down with raw food unless it is a fruit or a carrot.
Just not my thing.

Other than that, Neneh Cherry was about the only thing that was "raw like shushi" that I liked for more than a minute, and even that one was fleeting...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 25, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I think naan must have yeast in it.

Remember everyone, this is indeed on topic. The puffiness of naan is directly related to Chang's attention to DCU.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 25, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

@fallschurch1,

When hofbrauhausde closed his post with "Naaaaah" it actually made me think of naan. That and Howard Dean.

Posted by: benonthehill | May 25, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

In defense of hofbrauhausde, I think.

I thought it was a San Fran slur, notice the last word in his sentence: "here".

Posted by: jojosbo
-----------------------------------------
What jojo said.

Seriously. Some of you people bust on the Muthaland (Baltimore) almost every post when the issue of the team moving comes up.

We can't joke San Fran a little without accusations of racism? I would think that the sexual orientation thing would be the sensitive thing about San Fran but we gotta take busting on them about "sushi" off the table.

No more Baltimore cracks from some of you.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 25, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Anyone want to predict the turnout for the Inter-FC Dallas match? I say 12,647. Oh wait, August 5? There must be some pre-season high school scrimmages going on. 9,483.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 25, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Mmmmm. Nothing like some warm naan, coverered with some butter--not too much, mind you.

By the way. I still don't get the Heath Pearce thing. I realize that he played in Europe but I the more than I have seen of him over the years, the less impressed I have been.

I wonder if Pearce likes naan...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 25, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Naan is made of wheat flour and is almost always round. Naan dough is "usually leavened" with yeast before it is cooked. Once the bread has been cooked, it is typically brushed with ghee, a kind of butter, and then served hot.

Love me some Naan. Looks like it's the Indian buffet for lunch. My waist line hates you 270.

Posted by: delantero | May 25, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

@I-270: Let's just take an average of the two numbers you kicked around and factor in the fact that the tickets are going to cost more. My calculator says that the Inter-Dallas game should draw about 11,065.

That can be the over/under.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 25, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

dude, where can I get one of those US warm-ups? Those red kits with the white bar across the chest are super-sweet!

Posted by: Matte | May 25, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

If my calculations and prognostications are correct, tonight is the first time in over eight months that Donovan and Dempsey will take the field together for the US.

Posted by: BooThisMan | May 25, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

No one likes fortune cookies, either...do they?

Bursaspor was the team that was after Pearce before...but, if you can glean anything from that linked article about any renewed interest there, then you found a better translation than I did. All I got was something about a "plastered" staff. On the other hand, this could explain a lot about FC Dallas....

Posted by: fischy | May 25, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

@Matte: See Fire, Chicago.

Posted by: nairbsod | May 25, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

@fishy: I like fortune cookies. I never both to read the fortunes or check out my lucky numbers. But I like the cookies. I could probably eat 10 or 12 in a sitting (completely grasping on that one since I don't think that I have been ever able to get more than three at a time).

Posted by: yankiboy | May 25, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

FerNaanDough Torres could have a good World Cup. It's about time he outgrew the "El Nino" nickname.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 25, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Here are my votes for ethnic sterotypical foods, jerk chicken and almost anything that is considered soul food. Love them.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 25, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of leavening and the Seattle injured list, I heard Fredy Montero is out with a yeast infection.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 25, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF: Fortunately, I have never had one but I have been told that yeast infections are a @@@@@. I hope that Montero feels better soon. Might explain why he has had such a hard time staying on his feet during matches. It must be uncomfortable trying to play with all that going on.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 25, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I go to work for one day and miss out on classic Sounders fodder.
Yeast infection? Really!?! Gross!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 25, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse