U.S. World Cup players in action (and inaction)

Several U.S. World Cup candidates spent a final few days with their clubs before reporting to World Cup training camp at Princeton University. Workouts begin Monday morning. [Updates: Alejandro Bedoya will play for Orebro on Monday before traveling. Eddie Johnson was diagnosed with a minor hamstring strain and will be evaluated daily.]
GOALKEEPERS
Tim Howard: season completed
Marcus Hahnemann: season completed
Brad Guzan: season completed
DEFENDERS
Jonathan Spector: season completed
Steve Cherundolo: season completed
Jay DeMerit: season completed
Oguchi Onyewu not in 18 for AC Milan's 3-0 win over Juventus
Carlos Bocanegra not in 18 for Rennes' 1-0 loss at Boulogne
(U.S. captain recovering from abdominal injury)
Clarence Goodson 90 minutes in Start's 3-0 win over Kongsvinger
Jonathan Bornstein 90 in Chivas USA's 1-0 loss at Columbus
Chad Marshall 90 in Columbus' 1-0 win over Chivas USA
Heath Pearce 90 in Dallas' 1-1 draw at Philadelphia

MIDFIELDERS
Clint Dempsey: season completed
Maurice Edu: season completed
DaMarcus Beasley: season completed
Michael Bradley: season completed
Ricardo Clark: season completed
Stuart Holden: season completed
Benny Feilhaber 33 in Aarhus' 3-0 loss to Odense
Alejandro Bedoya 90 in Orebro's 0-0 tie at Goteborg
Jose Torres 90 in Pachuca's 1-0 loss at Toluca
(Pachuca eliminated in Mexican semifinals on 3-2 aggregate)
Landon Donovan 90 in Los Angeles' 0-0 draw with Toronto
Robbie Rogers 90 in Columbus' 1-0 win over Chivas USA
Sacha Kljestan 90 in Chivas USA's 1-0 loss at Columbus
FORWARDS
Jozy Altidore: season completed
Herculez Gomez: season completed
Eddie Johnson: season completed
(Underwent MRI exam for injured hamstring)
Edson Buddle 90 in Los Angeles' 0-0 draw with Toronto
Brian Ching 28 in Houston's 3-1 loss at Real Salt Lake
Robbie Findley 88 (goal) in Real Salt Lake's 3-1 win over Houston

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  May 16, 2010; 2:55 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Americans Abroad , MLS , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: AC Milan, Carlos Bocanegra, Landon Donovan, Oguchi Onyewu, Princeton, U.S. national team, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United's only hope?
Next: Washington Freedom defeats Atlanta Beat, 2-0

Comments

I still do not understand the inclusion of Robbie Rogers. I get Kljestian but not Rogers. Maybe I am blinded by my love for Adu.

Also, am I delusional to think that possibly Buddle could do something in the World Cup?

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 16, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow grubbsbu, I feel the same way. I am saddened that hometown boy Freddy Adu will not be in South Africa. I also feel that if Edson Buddle makes the final 23 and gets any playing time in South Africa, that he will score AT LEAST one goal...Not sure why I feel that way, but he does look very good right now, scoring goals in many different ways.

Posted by: alan19 | May 16, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm thrilled and amazed that there wasn't a last minute injury. I had nightmares of a two-footed Nick Garcia tackle on Donovan resulting in ruptured ligaments or something.

Posted by: amoffett1 | May 16, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Freedom up 1-0 over Atlanta at break.

watch live

Posted by: footballfan9 | May 16, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I agree. On top of that I just feel that Adu has a greater potential to do something magical in a game -something Rogers doesn't have. Oh well, he is still young and for a 20 yr old American in Europe he is doing fine.

That is what I am thinking about Buddle to.

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 16, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

It's now 2-0 Freedom. It is also on FSC.

Posted by: croftonpost | May 16, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

When I watched Freddy at the U-20 tournament in Canada, especially in the game against Brazil, I was thinking, this guy is the future of US Soccer. Then I watched Freddy in a number of games at the Gold Cup last year, and I was thinking, this guy is hopeless. Freddy may become a decent player one of these years, but he has no business going to SA this year. Bradley made the right decision. Having said that, I have also watched Rogers in a few games last year as well. He is not ready for prime time either.

In fact, there are a number of players among our 30 who are not yet able to compete at the international level: Clarence Goodson, Jonathan Bornstein (even though he was a mainstay during qualifying, Chad Marshall, Heath Pearce (he has regressed), DaMarcus Beasley (it's really depressing that he is still in the national team picture), Robbie Rogers, Sacha Kljestan, and Robbie Findley.

To put it another way, we could use a few more good players. I am a very big fan of the USMNT, and have been one for many years, but I am concerned about this team.

Posted by: jack35 | May 16, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Final 2-0 Freedom. Goals by Mykjaland and Wambach.

NCAA Lacrosse. UNC up 12-11 over Delaware at end of 3rd ESPNU, Syracuse up 5-2 over Army ESPNU Classic.

Anyone know if USMNT practices are open to public? NCAA Lacrosse at Princeton next Saturday. UMD v ND, Duke v UNC/Delaware.

Posted by: footballfan9 | May 16, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Truthfully I wish DC United would bring back Freddy Adu and turn the reigns of the playmaker over to him. We could certainly use him now!

Posted by: alan19 | May 16, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Semi off-topic. Soccer may have its exposure problems, but one leaue that has dropped off the radar screens is the WNBA. Though maybe they get some press in other markets but here in Washington, ever since the Nats came to town, the Mystics and WNBA have been ignored by the media.

Posted by: Ron16 | May 16, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Freedom/Beat The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (apologies to Goff)

The Good

*Ramona Bachmann (and Rasmussen) -- the best in the world are in the WPS and it is fun to watch
*The KSU stadium, terrific pitch, stands, and serving beer to the patrons in their seats
*Abby Wambach -- assist on the 1st goal = SICK
*Nikki Marshall & Cat Whitehill = STONE COLD BEASTS
*Goebel's shorts. At the risk of Blattering -- the short shorts are cool.
*23 consecutive one or two touch passes by the Freedom in the attacking half on one sequence in the 2d half.
*Mark Rogodino = All-Pro

The Bad

*Empty stadium in ATL for Game of the Week.
*Bishop's scowl. Lighten up girl.
* Kia McNeil = hack job cement boots.
*Wash Post no away coverage of the only good pro soccer team in DC

The Ugly

* The Fox camera crew. I've seen better coverage from a high school dad on top of the press box with a handheld video cam (seriously). Are you schmooing me with that camera work? Horrible.

* Fox programming -- fun halftime spot about Abby and Sonia visiting the Coast Guard in DC and driving the boats -- and getting in their plug that the USCG is the only service branch in which every job is open to women> And then at the conclusion of the spot Fox cuts to a cleavage close-up on some bimbette in the stands. Boo Fox!

Posted by: OWNTF | May 16, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

The Absolutely Ph'g Phenomenal --

SONIA!!!!

Posted by: OWNTF | May 16, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Home from the game. Quick thoughts: Washington was clearly the better team, but I was pretty disappointed to not have something to show out of the first 25 minutes. Having Heath and Yamaguchi back soon will help alleviate a lot of the problems we had tonight, namely the lack of a midfield. Abby Wambach is huge. I'm really enjoying these games. Bachman is the chick Messi, but without her Xavi for now, she was less effective than she was earlier. Good night, folks.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 16, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

All these guys . . Rogers, Klesjtan, Adu, Findley, Johnson, . . are good players, probably the better ones of the next generation, Stateside, anyways. But they all need seasoning and games at the next level be it CONCACAF Champions league, Gold Cup, Europe, etc.

Fact is, they are fighting for likely just 2-3 spots this year and likely won't see more than a few minutes, if any at all, at the World Cup.

I'm more eager to see the young Americans in Europe---Marcus Tracy, Grella, Parkhurst, White, Zizzo--than worrying about whether these few amongst the 30 are going to SA.

Posted by: delantero | May 16, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Jacob is a convert! I'm digging that.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 16, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

"Are you schmooing me with that camera work?"

I don't know what you mean, and neither does Urban Dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=schmoo

So what do you mean?!

And yes, Mark Rogondino is solid in the booth. I really wish FSC had retained him for the MLS broadcasts, rather than the bland and squeaky voiced Brian Dunseth, who is made for a color role at best.

(What they really need, though, is somebody like Phil Schoen -- an experienced play-by-play man with a top-notch TV voice. I like Sullivan's color work, but his low-key personality demands a partner with natural enthusiasm and broadcasting chops, which is why Bretos was ideal. Sullivan and Dunseth just don't click. At all.)

Posted by: ChristopherMc | May 17, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse