U.S. World Cup roster announced

Goalkeepers: Tim Howard, Marcus Hahnemann, Brad Guzan.
Defenders: Oguchi Onyewu, Carlos Bocanegra, Jay DeMerit, Jonathan Spector, Steve Cherundolo, Clarence Goodson, Jonathan Bornstein.
Midfielders: Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu, Stuart Holden, Ricardo Clark, Benny Feilhaber, Jose Torres, DaMarcus Beasley.
Midfielder-forwards: Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan.
Forwards: Jozy Altidore, Edson Buddle, Herculez Gomez, Robbie Findley.

Missed the cut: Defenders Chad Marshall and Heath Pearce, midfielders Sacha Kljestan, Robbie Rogers and Alejandro Bedoya, forwards Eddie Johnson and Brian Ching.

Biggest surprise: Findley ahead of Ching, but the need for speed made the difference. With Charlie Davies out of consideration, Findley is the best candidate to chase the game and pressure defenders in late stages of matches.

Foreign-based players: 19.
MLS players: 4.
(For the previous two World Cups, it was roughly half and half.)

Former MLS players: 13.

College experience: 15.

Local connections: Onyewu (Olney, Md., Sherwood High School), Goodson (Springfield, Va., W.T. Woodson High, University of Maryland), Edu (U of Maryland).

By Steve Goff  |  May 26, 2010; 1:23 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: U.S. World Cup team, soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Onyewu's return, Milan in D.C., World Cup viewing
Next: U.S. soccer poll: Do you agree with the Findley selection?

Comments

No Brian Ching? I'm surprised. That puts a lot of pressure on Altidore to get it going right away and sustain it!

Posted by: jsm3 | May 26, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Shocked that Findley is going. Shocked, I tell you. It's fine though, he won't play.

Other than that, pretty standard.

Posted by: psps23 | May 26, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

No real shockers. We all had to know FIndley and Beas would make it.

Suprised Ching didn't get the call. Injury concerns? Kinda hypocritical...

Posted by: tphasbdp | May 26, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I get all those choices except for Robbie Findley. Ching was a solid performer last night. Findley has never shown well internationally and isn't in form right now. Strange!

Posted by: jake77 | May 26, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Fun facts: Carlos Bocanegra has scored more goals for the national team than any of our forwards.

Actually, he's scored more than all of them combined.

Posted by: benonthehill | May 26, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

findley?!?!?!?! does not compute

Posted by: joe_hill | May 26, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Findley in place of Ching is very surprising. Other than that, he got everything else right. I would have preferred no Bornstein, but given the mix of forwards, midfielders, ands defenders, I don't think there was a better option on defense.

Posted by: mrchuckles | May 26, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Findley is a very very very poor man's Charlie Davies. Perhaps that's the rationale? Apparently he's been showing well in camp according to reports.

Posted by: jake77 | May 26, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

@tphasbdp: You are yanking our chain, right? Who could have known that Findley would be going. There are members of the guys family who probably didn't think he would be going.

I am speechless.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 26, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

EXCLUSIONS:

EJ, Marshall, Bedoya, Ching, Rogers, Pearce, Sacha, and HEYDUDE =-)

Posted by: tphasbdp | May 26, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

surprised by the Ching omission too - im just glad EJ isn't one of the four.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 26, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Findley has been THAT good in practice that he didn't even need to play last night? Very odd.

Posted by: CYork1 | May 26, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

No Ching is a mistake. If anything, we're going to score off of set pieces and Ching is good in the air. I also thought he was very good last night.

Taking Findley instead is a huge shock.

Posted by: delantero | May 26, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Thrilled that Ching is not on the team. Not sure whether I'd prefer Findley or Johnson, but leaving Ching at home makes me happy.

No complaints here. GO USA!

Posted by: DWE4 | May 26, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy with the squad. I do agree that they should have kept brian ching. Will see how they all look together come saturday.

Posted by: RM27 | May 26, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

England coverage of last night's game.

Seriously, no reference to the meaningless nature of the match.

Roster is great. Surprised Ching isn't going, but good for Goodson, and here's hoping the forward contingent surprises. Also, if Gooch can't jump then he needs to sit against England and let Goodson mark Crouch.

Posted by: hacksaw | May 26, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Surprising...but you know Findley is #23. Findley could be a good sub -- Ching would not be. I think this gives you some insight into the types of lineups you can expect.

Beas on the left, Holden on the right, Demps up top with Jozy.

Posted by: Reignking | May 26, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I thought Ching actually did decent last night. Its funny because I always bash Ching and Bradley plays him. The one time I almost think Ching is doing well Bradley cuts him. It doesn't really matter. Findley is last on the depth chart and Ching would have been too. I liked what Buddle and Gomez brought last night. Buddle is also rather fast.

Can we see our best 11 against Turkey. I was depressed after last night.

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 26, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Findley over Ching is very surprising. At this level you need more than just raw speed to make a difference and Findley has the worst first-touch I've ever seen (come to think of it, he also has the worst second, third, etc. touch too).

Competition won't care if the guy has blazing speed if he can't do anything with it.

Posted by: grognard66 | May 26, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

No Kljestan, and only 4 MLS players? What will the Bradley-haters harp about now? Here's something: 20 of the 23 players have a surname that begins with a letter from A to H. Bradley is obviously biased against the end of the alphabet!!!

Posted by: BooThisMan | May 26, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

@benonthehill,

That's not what I would consider a particularly "fun" fact. A disconcerting one, yes. A "fun" one? No. (and I know you didn't literally mean that it was fun)

Posted by: TwinCity | May 26, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I haven't been impressed with Bornstein in difficult matches....The Czech team focused on him as well and took great advantage...rather have Rodgers and one less defender.

Posted by: phatmusic | May 26, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jake77 | May 26, 2010 1:31

that probably sounds about right. hes the only one with speed close to what CD9 cound bring. maybe BB is just keeping him under wraps until the tourney. thats wishful thinking for sure.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 26, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

"Foreign-based players: 19.
MLS players: 4."

True, but 16 have played in MLS at some point.

Posted by: peripheral1 | May 26, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jake77 |
------------------------------------------
Ok. before I got old and lost all my stamina, I was a "very, very, very poor man's Charlie Davis". You can call me the Davies of the "hood" before Charlies Davies "became" Charlie Davies.

But I am not on the US WC Roster. And neither should Findley. Seriously. Kenny Cooper might be better than that guy. Conor Casey might be better than that guy. Hell, a healthy Chris Pontius, I would take him over Findley in a minute.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 26, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I'd venture to say EJ's touch is worse than Findley's, but that's like trying to find the positive qualities among bad politicians. There is no winner.

Posted by: CYork1 | May 26, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Ching being left off is a suprise, but the forwards aren't our big concern. Left back scares me, I mean really scares me! Bornstein got used last night. He's only on the team because Pearce was worse. ere's hoping Bornstein never sees the field at the World Cup.

Posted by: zmbb3 | May 26, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

"Beas on the left, Holden on the right, Demps up top with Jozy."

And Donovan left out in the cold?

Beasley and Holden will flip-flop starts based on matchups. If Walcott starts on the right for England, look for Donovan to start on our left with Holden on the right, because Walcott will have a field day with either Bocanegra's or Spector's speed if they don't have help defensively.

Posted by: psps23 | May 26, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Ok, now let's speculate about the starters against England.

Howard
Dolo Gooch Boca Spector
Donovan Bradley Clark Beas
Altidore Dempsey

But man, still a ton of questions.

Does Gooch still have more to prove? Would Demerit or Goodson be a better option, when there are questions that either of them can play at the international level? Is Spector good enough at left back, or do we have to put Boca there? If you move Boca, that raises the same questions again about Demerit and Goodson. Is Clark the fit in the middle with Bradley, or is it maybe Feilhaber? How bout even Edu? I don't think that spot is locked down by anybdy. Is Beas ready for prime time on the left (or maybe Holden on the right and Donovan on the left) or do we have to put Dempsey there, shaking up the strikers as well? If Dempsey starts on the left, which of the other strikers gets the start, Buddle? I'm not super confident about our striking corps behind Altidore. And truthfully, there are question marks about Altidore as well.

Fun fun fun!

Posted by: Matte | May 26, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Happy to see Jose Torres make it, too.

Posted by: Reignking | May 26, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

My only explanation is that we're going to see Dempsey as a forward, with Holden, Beasley, Donovan, Torres, Feilhaber in the middle.

Gomez/Buddle as replacements up top and Findley as a late sub.

Either that, or we're going to bunker so much that Findley will play a counterattack role and we'll all hope that he is faster than everybody, discovers some touch, and scores.

No use complaining now. 100% Support!!

Posted by: delantero | May 26, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Beas on the left, Holden on the right, Demps up top with Jozy.

And Donovan?

Posted by: BooThisMan | May 26, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

@Cyork1: EJ was scoring goals in Greece recently. What has Findley been doing?

He must have been tearing it up in training.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 26, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

As happy as I am that Kljestan is never going to play in a world cup, I am very disappointed that Findley made it over Bedoya. I won't say over Ching, because Buddle wrested that spot from him.

But unless Dempsey is never going to move up top, we need Bedoya as backup for Holden or Beasley, if either starts.

Findley is a complete waste. Bornstein is a hack, but hopefully Boca and Demerit come back strong.

See you next time, Bedoya.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 26, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

It's bad enought to put Bornstein in the 23...but if Bob actually plays him in South Africa, he should be fired on the spot.

Posted by: anonymousinva | May 26, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Beas on the left, Holden on the right, Demps up top with Jozy.

And Donovan?

Posted by: BooThisMan

Middle. Or swap w/ Holden.

Posted by: Reignking | May 26, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I like the picks. Yeah Findley is a shocker but I don't see him getting field time.

Gomez will be first option off the bench unless Bob puts in another MF and moves Dempsey or Donovan up top. Not that big a deal.

Defensively, I like the picks. Gooch is not 100% and may not finish the Cup. Dolo, DemMerit, Boca and Spector would make a good backline. Goodson, Edu in the middle make sense off the bench.

My main concern is Clark. He has the skills but hasn't been all that impressive IMHO.

Posted by: Stabaek_Kofie | May 26, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

What????? Rodney Wallace didn't make the team.

Talk about at travesty.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 26, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Including Findley instead of Ching is ridiculous. I have watched Findley play. He may be fast, but if he were to see the field in SA, it would be a disaster. If he sees the field in Philadelphia on Saturday, it will be a disaster.

I am not one of those who calls for Bradley’s head in every post (I’ll save that until after the WC), but this is just another example of Bradley’s penchant to select players based on factors other than their ability to make a positive, on-the-field contribution to the team. Running speed, while essential, is not sufficient.

Otherwise, it is difficult to disagree with Bradley’s choices, mostly because we do not have 23 players worthy of going to the WC.

Posted by: jack35 | May 26, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Bradley made some comment after the game about how much faster the international game is, and seeing how the forwards responded would inform his decision.

Which is shocking, cause while Gomez was in the right place at the right time and got the goal, he seemed a step slow otherwise. Ching created on and off the ball throughout the half. One play was significant for both when Ching made the brilliant backheel through a Czech defender to spring Gomez all alone at the top of the box, and Gomez sent a weak shot directly at Cech. That should have been buried.

I don't even like Brian Ching, and it was apparent that he had a little bit more last night.

Posted by: joe_hill | May 26, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Findley I don't get. Is Ching not 100% yet? This puts a lot of pressure on Altidore as there is no one with his skill set to sub with. but maybe a Dempsey/Gomez front at the end of the games could be the ticket.

So sad that Bornstein was basically a Lock to go.

Thanks for nothing , Neven Subotic, yah d-bag.

One thing to note, although the strikes weren't all that dangerously placed, the fact that our mids weren't afraid to unleash shots on goal, and they were relatively on frame was a plus.

Posted by: cmonkey66 | May 26, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

hacksaw,

What a ridiculous article from the English. Good of them to not disclose that Donovan, Dempsey, Howard...uhhh 6 of the starting 11 were not even DRESSED.

Posted by: mjsciann1 | May 26, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Bob Bradley is as good an international coach as Curt Onalfo is an MLS coach.

Posted by: anonymousinva | May 26, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I told you guys the other day that I was told Findley would make the roster. The same birdie who told me that also said he had been a lock to make the roster for a month. Face it, in the 80th minute, who scares an opposing defense more: Ching or Findley? Not a big Findley fan, just sayin'.

Posted by: grabowcp | May 26, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Beasley makes no sense. The role he likely has (situational sub) can be filled by host of others on the roster without a significant drop in quality. I would have kept another Defender (bizarrely, probably Chad f.. Marshall)

Posted by: jnel | May 26, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I think the exclusion of Ching definitely means that Bradley is intending to play Dempsey up top with Altidore. Otherwise, I cant see him leaving Ching and his experience off the roster.

Posted by: mikepcfl | May 26, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Is Gooch really ready to go? Didn't sound like it from the articles I read this morning.

Posted by: andrewgerst@hotmail.com | May 26, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@Cyork1: EJ was scoring goals in Greece recently. What has Findley been doing?

He must have been tearing it up in training.
-------------------------------------------
Yes EJ scored a few goals in a weak league but his touch is awful; it's like he's wearing cement boots. Not that I'm happy with Findley being part of the 23 either; he hasn't exactly lit up MLS. I was merely pointing out that neither has any sort of touch on the ball. They are both awful. I would have preferred Bedoya or Ching. Really, anybody but Findley, EJ, and Bornstein. But I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad...

Posted by: CYork1 | May 26, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Ching is vastly overrated on set pieces--our centre-backs consistently produce better. Might as well take speed in Findlay; Dempsey or Donovan will be mostly up top with Altidore anyway.

Posted by: JayW4 | May 26, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

The Brit press is characteristically jingoistic. But why do I wish that Bradley had figured this roster out (and why couldn't he?) a couple weeks ago and played the first XI last night?

Posted by: dccal | May 26, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Here's where I'm at now:

---------------Howard--------------
Spector--DeMerit--Onyewu--Bocanegra
Donovan----Bradley----Edu----Holden
-------Dempsey------Altidore-------

Posted by: McBride33 | May 26, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Ching missing the cut is a bit of a surprise but I think he sealed the deal on the break in the second half when Gomez took the ball 50+ yards. Ching simply couldn't keep up or pose any threat in his run. He looked like he was running in quicksand. Gomez wound up having to force an ambitous shot from outside. Probably not the best choice, but he didn't have any help from Ching. I don't think he was fully recovered, and we're going to be playing a counterattacking style often and don't need a slow target man. It's a shame, but not because Ching will be sorely missed - more because Findley is his replacement.

Sad state of affairs at left back and striker. Someone commented that CB Boca has more goals than all our strikers combined? I assume that excludes Dempsey and Donovan, but still...if that's true, we have to be the only team that can claim that dubious stat.

Posted by: PattersonPark76 | May 26, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

This squad reminds of the 92' Dream Team...

i don't see how this team will be able to compete on such a high level. I expect a repeat performance as last time. Don't get me wrong, there are some not so bad to very nice individuals on this team, but the speed, awareness and skill on the middle and back lines concerns me.

Donovan and Dempsey are very overated...

And Bradley's tactics are a cheap imitation of some EPL limey defensive minded team...boring

Posted by: boricuabopper | May 26, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

@dccal: The British Press can go jump into the Thames for all I care.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 26, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if I'm more upset that Ching isn't going or insanely happy that EJ isn't. With the performance that Ching put on the past couple games he's played, I think it's ridiculous he didn't make the squad. As for EJ, he played as bad as I expected

Posted by: kevbalt | May 26, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grabowcp

Nicely done.

If Ching were an 80th minute sub, the US would be ahead in a game.

Posted by: Reignking | May 26, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@grabowcp: Can your little birdie tell a Brutha the winning powerball numbers this week, too? Seriously. I got bills to pay> Help a Brutha out.

Findely just hit the lottery.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 26, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I hope to see the triangle of D's: Dempsey, Donovan, Demarcus (or holDen) flow between the wings and withdrawn forward to really create some confusion for opposing defenses. Altidore will remain up high and Bradley and whoever gets called in next to him can hold down the middle. Probably will be Edu for a more defensive stance, but who knows. Defense is clearly the biggest worry. That and scoring during the run of play.

Posted by: SeanWG | May 26, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

What a ridiculous article from the English.
===

It was The Sun. If the New York Post weren't such a classy paper, it would be The Sun.

Posted by: mason08 | May 26, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Never mind the WC. How about our line-up against Turkey on Saturday? Does Bradley go with our starting 11, or does he continue to stage try-outs?

The only guy who has to play 90 on Saturday is Gooch. We have to find out at some point before June 12 whether he can contend with Rooney. Of course, I shudder to think what Rooney would do to Goodson.

Maybe Bradley’s plan is to fake out England by fielding 3 terrible line-ups, and losing 3 friendlies, in the run-up to the WC.

Posted by: jack35 | May 26, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Starting line-up vs England:

7-2-1:

---------------Howard--------------
Spector--DeMerit--Onyewu--Bocanegra
-- Bradley --- Goodson --- Edu ----
Donovan --------------------- Holden
-------------- Altidore -----------

(Somebody send this to The Sun as an official US Soccer announcement...)

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 26, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody else see the irony of Robbie Findley being the most TALKED ABOUT player on the roster? He is the US player that is "trending" (figuratively speaking) more than any other at this particular moment.

Wow. Robbie Findley. This may be his 15 seconds. Maybe he will surprise us.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 26, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I too have no love for Ching, but let it be noted that he does get back on defense.

Dempsey will play forward at some point , so Bedoya would have been a better option than Findley.

but as for Gomez not showing pace, and makin a "weak" shot? that shot was ill placed but it was far from weak. and the one time he went it alone and didn't pass off to Ching as Harkes claimed he should, that was due to Chings being slow and not getting to the spot where Gomez would find him. Gomez will be the wild card.

we won't make it out of group. Bradley will need to be replased after this cup.

Posted by: cmonkey66 | May 26, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

The Sun article is fantastic. I hope England win their warm-ups by a total of 10+ goals and come in to June 12 feeling cocky and overconfident. Only to lose to a team that couldn't do much last night.

Posted by: CYork1 | May 26, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Count me among the shocked. Good news for DCU though with two matches against RSL next week.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 26, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

yankiboy -

how great would it be if Findley (who I have no faith in) came in during a tie game in the 80th minute and scored the winning goal against England?

Posted by: CYork1 | May 26, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

jnel - Beasley makes sense as an alternate choice for left fullback, in case Bocanegra and Spector are injured or needed elsewhere. Bornstein should not be our only other option. In fact, I'd pick Beasley over Bornstein any day.

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | May 26, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I am not getting a warm feeling from this team. I could be wrong but conceeding 4 goals to a weakened Czech team doesn't bode well for the defence. I know that was not the real team and it's more of an evaluation match but 4 goals is 4 goals. BTW, why is Brad Guzan still on the national team? Also, seeing that Czech player outjump Gooch can't be comforting. And he's explanation after the match didn't help.

Back to the strikers, there's going to be enormous pressure on Altidore to produce (and produce early). US will need at least 1 win and 1 tie to go through.

Posted by: tundey | May 26, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I see Jonathon Spector as a white Freddy Adu, i.e., someone who showed a lot of early potential and was expected to produce great things. The big difference is that for some reason Spector seems to have a lock on national team appearances. Whenever I hear his name called of FSC on Saturdays's it's usually something like, "Spector with a cheap giveaway" or "Spector caught out of position."

Posted by: Cossackathon | May 26, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Bornseinnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhh!

Posted by: jebus_simpson | May 26, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Everyone pretty much feels the same way about Bornstein, so can somebody please explain why Bradley is so sold on him? I think he got the lowest grade last night by ESPN!

Posted by: NAS4AH2 | May 26, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

England coverage of last night's game.

Seriously, no reference to the meaningless nature of the match.

Posted by: hacksaw

--------------------------

Two reasons for this:

1) In England, there is no meaningless match. The English actually seem to believe that friendlies and warm-ups that feature few, if any, of the final roster actually offer insight into who will win the World Cup.

2) We're in the same group. England is always paranoid about it's chances, with good reason, and any excuse for trash talking before the event is O.K. by them. This warm-up loss might, at most, be described as worrying, but for the English, it is humiliating.

I'd be curious to go back and see if past English losses in warm-ups received the same kind of descriptions. They probably did. The English never spare any love on a weak performance by their national team.

Posted by: blert | May 26, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grognard66 | May 26, 2010 1:36 PM
_________

Like any team is gonna be stupid enough to let an opposing player one vs one with their goalie!!!!

Posted by: UnitedinTx | May 26, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

@ McBride33

Here's where I'm at now:

---------------Howard--------------
Spector--DeMerit--Onyewu--Bocanegra
Donovan----Bradley----Edu----Holden
-------Dempsey------Altidore-------

Totally agree with this line-up. And Ricardo Clark can fill in for Bradley when he gets into card trouble. I'm going with game 2 red card.

Posted by: timmy6 | May 26, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Yes EJ scored a few goals in a weak league...I would have preferred Bedoya or Ching.

Posted by: CYork1 | May 26, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Lol! I'm totally fine with Johnson being left off, but you do realize the Greek league is SEVERAL steps up from the likes of the Swedish league (Bedoya) or MLS (Ching)? It doesn't make Johnson a better player. But at least show some smarts about the Greek league's quality, especially relative to the Allsvenskan and MLS.

Posted by: DEFPOTEC1 | May 26, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I never said the Swedish league or MLS are strong leagues. They are all weak, including the Greek league. We're not talking England, Italy, Spain or France here. My point is that I feel EJ brings nothing to the table at an international level, while Ching has proven himself for the Nats. I mentioned Bedoya because if Donovan and Dempsey are going to play up top some of the time Bedoya would provide depth on the wings.

Posted by: CYork1 | May 26, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Robbie at RSL is a second-half game-changer because of his speed. That could make him a valuable weapon if the US needs a late goal. He can be a handful for the potted-plant defenders, the big donkeys that some teams have. Moreover, he'll be a good challenge for our defenders in training. I think he's a great selection.

Posted by: lgm6986 | May 26, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

As long as Cherundolo never gets on the pitch, I'll rest easy. He's always good for contributing to an opponents' goal. I don't know why they keep bringing him back.

Posted by: AsstGM | May 26, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Crud, guess bringing my HI State flag so my Hawaii peeps can pick us out in the crowd doesn't make any sense anymore... Lame.
I haven't read these comments, but IMHO leaving Ching out is a huge mistake.

Unless of course Jozy finally mans up.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 26, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

One thing about Ching last night was that he seemed to get really tired, playing at that pace for only a half. Yeah, he was working hard but still, maybe he just isn't fit enough at this point.

For those commenters like boricuabopper, well I just feel sorry for you. If you're going to be clinically depressed about the team, can't you at least wait until they actually get bounced out of the tournament? Whether they make a good run, or are truly doomed to failure, your attitude will not affect the outcome one bit. So why not suspend your disbelief and pessimism for a bit? You'll live longer.

Posted by: michanikos1 | May 26, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Marcus Hahnemann when interviewed on ESPN News just let it slip that Gooch has a long way to go. (Gee thanks for saying that publicly) Carlos Bocanegra said they need to get better tactically.

Posted by: kennybenny | May 26, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

@CYork1: Yeah. if Findley scores a goal in this tournament I promise to name my next child (the one that I am already planning to NEVER have) after Findley.

He will be named "Yanki Findley Boy".

But since I am not planning on having any other kids, take the necessary steps to address the matter and I don't anticipate Findley doing anything other than sqaunder any chance that he may have, I think that it is safe to predict that the Social Security Adminstration will NEVER need to generate a card or corresponding card for one "Yanki Findly Boy"...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 26, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kennybenny | May 26, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kennybenny | May 26, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Cossack,
You forgot "Specter with the own goal."

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | May 26, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Findley for Ching is shocking. Ching showed more class in 45 minutes last night than Findley has shown all season in MLS.

Posted by: hungrypug | May 26, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

sorry for duplicate posts-not sure how that happended web site froze on me.

Posted by: kennybenny | May 26, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Kenny: Are you saying that Hahnemann let it slip that Gooch ain't 100% just yet.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 26, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

yankiboy -

Posted by: CYork1 | May 26, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

________________________________

Satan himself could do that and I would consider it great

Posted by: tphasbdp | May 26, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yankiboy | May 26, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

yup. said a bunch of nice things but also let it slip (I think unintentionally) he still has a long way to go. carlos just said you can't read much into it because it was only 1st game back and you would be nervous about it being first game back and nervous about how your former injury will respond.

Posted by: kennybenny | May 26, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Bob Bradley is as good an international coach as Curt Onalfo is an MLS coach.

Posted by: anonymousinva | May 26, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Love it!!!

-------------Howard-------------
Dolo---DeMerit---Goodson---Boca
Donovan--Bradley--Torres--Holden
------------Dempsey-------------
------------Altidore------------

Posted by: SchoenfeldsDonut | May 26, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Respectfully about Onyewu, he is clumsy and has little to no football savvy. He displays no intensity, no impassioned presence, no command of the space. Those are fatal tendencies, especially at centerback, certainly in a World Cup. I know he is off a tough injury, but this was evident prior to that. A lot of time and effort has gone into grooming him for this spot. I bet he does all that is asked and more in training and that he is a good teammate, but his talent is limited. There is certainly no other direction to go now on that spot. He is a hole in the bucket back there.

Posted by: mr14sunshine | May 26, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan: You got a HI State flag? Please tell me that it doesn't look anthing like the rainbow warriors uni's that they used to rock back in the day. Like the Denver Nuggets jersey back in the day. Too much going on.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 26, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Satan himself could do that and I would consider it great
Posted by: tphasbdp

Too bad he plays hockey.

Posted by: KireDCU | May 26, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

England coverage of last night's game.

Seriously, no reference to the meaningless nature of the match.

Posted by: hacksaw

---------------------------

Utterly ridiculous, but I'm quite pleased. I hope ALL the English coverage of Team USA before June 12 is disparaging. I hope they come in to our match thinking it'll be a cakewalk.

I just hope it isn't. ;-)

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | May 26, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Last night was a scary harbinger of the future of US soccer. Our best players were sitting, most of whom are getting on in soccer years and have maybe one past-prime World Cup left in them. Aside from Altodore, where are all the elite next gen players? I thought US Soccer was making a concerted effort to find and train them. If kids in our country only knew the riches and opportunities out there for top talent, we'd be a powerhouse. Kids: there are ten countries out their with their own leagues... the equivalent of ten NBA and NFLs to play in... all waiting to pay you handsomely. Put down the basketball and try a soccer ball.

Posted by: SammyT1 | May 26, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"chase the game and pressure defenders"

Sounds like a job for Marvell Wynne, Steve.

He's faster than Findley and he could've given us some depth at wingback.

Why take a forward if he can't score and can't pass? Defense? Please.

Posted by: StanShmenge | May 26, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

yankiyank, you don't like the OG Rainbows gear?
Hawaii state flag looks like:

Posted by: DadRyan | May 26, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Gooch !!!! ;D~ Hope the knee is ok!

Posted by: eaglechik | May 26, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

As far as the Sun, just think Daily National Enquirer!

Total rubbish from front to back.

Posted by: onegoodbloke | May 26, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Really would like to see Brian Ching.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | May 26, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Ching over Findlay, for sure. As others have noted, speed is nice, but strikers must score.

I like timmy6's lineup, except pulling back Dempsey as playmaker. 4-5-1. Then give Dempsey/Donovan freedom to swap roles during the match.

Posted by: DRFutebol | May 26, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Forget the English press. Capello will look at yesterday's result and check on the players he expects his team to face.

Donovan - did not play
Dempsey - did not play
Howard - did not play
Bradley & Altidore - did not play

He may not be afraid of the Americans, but he is also not going to let his team be lulled into complacency.

Posted by: Rhio | May 26, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Satan himself could do that and I would consider it great

Posted by: tphasbdp | May 26, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Alas, Satan plays hockey, not soccer!

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 26, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mr14sunshine

----------------------------

Respectfully, mr14sunshine, I submit that Bradley and AC-Freakin-Milan know more about spotting footballing talent than you do.

Gooch is not yet 100%, obviously. That makes nothing that you said true.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | May 26, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

We sat in left back corner during 2nd half last night. The left back was repeatedly abused. Caught out of position numerous times, and let the Czech players run right past him on the rare occassion when he was in position to make a play. Consistently played balls toward the middle and can't remember him even once playing one down the sideline for the left wing to make a run at. Too predictable. Needed to mix it up so Czech defense could guess wrong. I hope he is not starting in South Africa.

Posted by: taxguru | May 26, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Don't know why people keep saying that Findley replaced Ching. Buddle beat out Ching, not Findley. Findley was a lock to replace Davies.

Posted by: budd67 | May 26, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I was extremely disappointed by the US defense last night. The team stands zero chance of getting beyond group play with that sort of performance from the back four. Nothing to be done now but I hope youth soccer programs in America can somehow create better defenders.

Posted by: randomsoccerfan | May 26, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | May 26, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 26, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Robbie Rogers was one of the few players who showed up last night, and it is a shame that Bob Bradley left him off the squad. I question Michael Bradley's level for World Cup play.

Posted by: 189AROD | May 26, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Robbie Rogers was one players who should have been on the team. Michael Bradley, on the other hand, could have been left off.

Posted by: 189AROD | May 26, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I've never been that impressed with Ching. He seems to play at a different pace than the rest of the team and often (including last night) just doesn't get to lead passes before defenders. Gomez, on the other hand, was doing a much better job of collecting his feeds.

As to Findley: you can't coach speed. You either have it or you don't. Yeah, his touch up front isn't on par with Davies, Altidore or Dempsey, but every once in a while you just need someone who can flat outrun a defender and wear him down.

Glad to see Holden and Gomez in there. Aside from a couple of squandered free kicks, Holden played well last night though he has stamina issues over 90 minutes. I like Gomez -- he's a worker.

Posted by: Gallenod | May 26, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Shocking inclusion of Findley, DMB and omission of Robbie Rogers and Bedoya.
Perhaps, we will have 3 and out and then ( finally!)Klinsmann will take over.At this point, the sanity of BB is out of the question as he takes Onyewu and Bornstein as his defensive stalwarts

Posted by: rusty35 | May 26, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

That motley crew still doesn't have a chance against Brazil, Argentina, England, France, Italy, Netherlands and Germany. Be lucky to win one game.

Posted by: truth2 | May 26, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

That's what Spain thought.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 26, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

If all Findley brings is speed, Bradley should have recruited his 23d player from the USA track team. The futball skills would be about the same, but a sprinter would be faster.

Even with a fully-fit Gooch, the USA defense is ripe pickings for England and other teams that have quality forwards and quick flank players.

Posted by: runningcloud | May 27, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jnel
-----------------------------

See, I never thought for a minute that Beasley WOULDN'T be selected. Yes, I agree that it would be better if he were on better form with his club. Yes, I agree that it would be better if he didn't party as much as he does in Glasgow.

But here's the rub:

Exactly WHO ELSE has proven that he can play LMF to a suitable degree at this level? WHO? Bedoya? [Maybe in 4 years, but not now.]
[snicker] Convey? Sorry, but his soccer patron is no longer giving him undeserved caps.

Who else is there? Eddie Lewis is way too old, and Justin Mapp sucks a horse's hind end.

The sad reality is that the national team pool has few-to-no other options out left, whether we like it or not. The generation of players that was supposed to follow Beasley/Donovan has not emerged. We're going on the 3rd WC, with NO successors on the horizon for what these two guys have done for the national team.

Despite that, incompetent clowns within the age group system [looking RIGHT AT rongen] keep their jobs in perpetuity. The national team pool is desperate for fresh blood at crucial spots, and there sadly is little-to-none.

Posted by: khan1 | May 27, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Shocking inclusion of Findley, DMB and omission of Robbie Rogers and Bedoya.

Posted by: rusty35

-------------------

Honestly, I don't understand all the sadness for Ching not being included. Dempsey plays the exact same role at Fulham that Ching does for the national team. The only difference is that Dempsey is younger, faster, fitter, and oh yeah: BETTER at soccer.

Bedoya hasn't shown enough [IMO] to be included, though he is intriguing. Rogers just sucks.

I WILL agree that REGARDLESS of the outcome of this WC, Bradley NEEDS TO GO. There is already too much of a culture of incumbency within USSF. I SCREAMED for Arena to be let go after his first cycle, but they stupidly kept the fat finger-pointer.

4 years is PLENTY for a coach. Anything beyond that is TOO MUCH. As we saw with Arena, favoritism and cronyism creeps in if a coach is kept too long. If people HATE the inclusion of Bornstein, just wait and see if Bradley is stupidly retained. EVERY coach has his favorites, and for an incumbent coach, even moreso.

So yes: replace Bradley with Klinsmann after SA, REGARDLESS of what happens.

Posted by: khan1 | May 27, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: khan1

-----------
"fitter?" Holy crap, I can't believe I posted that!

All kidding aside, I meant that Dempsey is more fit and healthier than Ching. Dempsey is also a younger, faster, more accomplished, more versatile player than Ching. He is in every way a better player than Ching.

Dempsey would fit in as a starter at MF and up top, whereas Ching can only play up top. With a roster as small as the WC roster, a coach needs some versatility to account for injuries, players falling out of form, or card accumulation.

Posted by: khan1 | May 27, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse