Davies not included on World Cup camp roster

U.S. national team coach Bob Bradley selected 30 players for World Cup training camp, but forward Charlie Davies, who has made a remarkable comeback since suffering serious injuries in an auto accident last fall, was not on it.

"Charlie has shown so much heart in his work to get back from his injuries," Bradley said. "We have monitored all of his workouts, we've had people there, we've observed him. He remained part of the consideration right up until yesterday. We also had information from his club that he hadn't been given full medical clearance. Therefore, [he was] not given a full release to join the camp. So when we put that together with everything, we just felt that right now, it's in his best interests to continue his rehab so he can get back to the level that he was playing last year before the accident."

Training camp will open this weekend at Princeton University, with workouts scheduled to begin Monday. Bradley said two weeks ago that he planned to invite 26 to 28 players to camp, but the USSF said today that all 30 will be there. The 23-man final roster for the trip to South Africa must be submitted to FIFA by June 1, but in reality, it will be in place before the May 29 friendly against Turkey in Philadelphia.

GOALKEEPERS: Tim Howard (Everton, England), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton, England), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa, England).

DEFENDERS: Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan, Italy), Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes, France), Jay DeMerit (Watford, England), Jonathan Spector (West Ham, England), Steve Cherundolo (Hanover, Germany), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA, MLS), Clarence Goodson (Start, Norway), Chad Marshall (Columbus, MLS), Heath Pearce (FC Dallas, MLS).

MIDFIELDERS: Michael Bradley (Moenchengladbach, Germany), Maurice Edu (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt, Germany), Stuart Holden (Bolton, England), Jose Francisco Torres (Pachuca, Mexico) Benny Feilhaber (Aarhus, Denmark), Alejandro Bedoya (Orebro, Sweden), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA, MLS), Robbie Rogers (Columbus, MLS), DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland).

MIDFIELDER-FORWARDS: Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles, MLS).

FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore (Hull City, England), Brian Ching (Houston, MLS), Edson Buddle (Los Angeles, MLS), Herculez Gomez (Puebla, Mexico), Eddie Johnson (Aris, Greece), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake, MLS).

Notable absences: F Charlie Davies, MF-F Freddy Adu, F Conor Casey.

League breakdown: 21 from overseas, nine from MLS.

Number of former MLS players: 13.

Local ties: Onyewu (Sherwood High School, Olney, Md.), Goodson (W.T. Woodson High School, Fairfax, Va.; University of Maryland), Edu (Maryland), Rogers (Maryland).

Your thoughts?

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  May 11, 2010; 2:15 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Americans Abroad , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: AC Milan, Bob Bradley, Brian Ching, Carlos Bocanegra, Charlie Davies, Clarence Goodson, DaMarcus Beasley, FIFA, Freddy Adu, Jonathan Spector, Landon Donovan, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brazil unveils World Cup roster
Next: D.C. United responds to proposed ticket tax

Comments

Interesting.... sad to see Davies not there, Adu also is interesting.... but we are pretty stacked in the midfield with options. Like the saying goes, too little, too late. EJ makes sense, with his recently good form in greece. I hope it translates better then it did when he played vs. Holland for those limited minutes.

I am excited to see how Gomez and Buddle play with the NT. I am happy for gomez too, seeing how he really didnt think he had a chance! It only took him to win the scoring championship in mexico to get a look! ;)

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | May 11, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

wow, no Davies. That's tough, I thought he would at least be invited to train with them. You're telling me Findley is better than Davies at this point? Gr.

Posted by: XPHiLtER | May 11, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I think Bob got it as right as he could have. Accepting that he would take Sasha and Bornstein no matter what, this team seems pretty solid. I wish we had a better outside mid to replace Rogers, but there just isn't one. Same at forward with Findley. Also wouldn't of complain about a veteran locker room guy, Heydude or Conrad maybe, that knew they weren't going to SA.

Posted by: Dancy1 | May 11, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

If Sacha shows up on the final roster, I will scream curses to the sky...

Posted by: sec133row5 | May 11, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't have expected Adu or Davies to make the final 23, but am disappointed that Bradley would rather give another look to players who just won't be able to contribute at the World Cup (Rogers, Findley) than to give them a shot.

Posted by: teo_68 | May 11, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

If Buddle, Gomez,and to a lesser extent, Johnson, hadn't started scoring goals these past few months, Davies probably would have been included - at least for the camp.

Posted by: zmbb3 | May 11, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Charlie.

Posted by: Reignking | May 11, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Why does your list differ than what Ives has? Are you guys watching the same show?
You have Findley, but he has Casey.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | May 11, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Too bad for Charlie. He's young and talented, though. He'll be back.

Not too many surprises, other than Findley.

I think Bradley did the right thing by calling in Gomez and Buddle as potential addition. I even understand Rogers, Sacha, Johnson etc for depth alone.

Would be shocked if Sasha makes the final roster.

Posted by: delantero | May 11, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

@XPHiLtER, yes, that appears to be what bob bradley is telling you.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 11, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Shocking that Davies wasn't called in. Even if he isn't healthy enough yet, you still have 3 weeks to see how he progresses (and over a month until the actual tournament starts). Even if he's only 20 minutes fit by the 3rd match, that's still more useful that bringing in a guy like Robbie Findley, who doesn't have a chance in hell at seeing action unless 9 other attacking options get shot mid-tournament.

Absolutely shocking.

Our striker situation is perilous at best.

Posted by: psps23 | May 11, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

The one who might start that scares me: Still Bornstein.

One's who shouldn't make the plane to minimal form or talent: Marshall, Klejstan, Rogers, Robbie Findley, Casey.

One's who I loathe if they make it: Klejstan, Rogers, Casey.

As for Charlie Davies, hate to see Casey, Findley, and Johnson get a chance in front of him, but didn't happen. I just hope he mentally recovers from this, and that we avoided major injury.

I was scared that Gomez wasn't going to be called.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 11, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Rogers also went to Maryland.

Posted by: Colm1 | May 11, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Sad to see no Charlie, but for who we've got I can't really come up with a better 30. When do we get to start speculating which seven don't get plane tickets?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 11, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

No respect for Beasley, spelling his first name incorrectly :)

Posted by: Reignking | May 11, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

anyone else having the adverts on the right infringing upon the text in the Insider? I just noticed it today so it isn't an issue with my screen size.

Posted by: torrey151 | May 11, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Now the next fun begins. Who are the 7 that don't get on the plane?

Marshall, Findley, Johnson, Rogers, Buddle, Beasley and Pearce are my guesses.

Posted by: daandre3 | May 11, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I would have picked Casey over Findley, but let's be honest -- this is just the camp list. The marginal players aren't going to South Africa. BB is hoping one forward in the Gomez/Buddle/Findley trio does something great in the friendlies. Ditto for Torres/Kljestan/Rogers.

I'll save my bile for the starting lineup decisions.

Posted by: fischy | May 11, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Pretty good roster. I am not sold on the Beasley inclusion -I guess he did enough in the Holland friendly (Beasley did preform in the friendly but he hasn't featured much since.) The only real change I would make is switching Rogers with Adu. That may be a meaningless switch because I don't know if Rogers will make the final roster. Kljestan was always going to make this roster. Yes, he has dominated in the last few MLS games but I do not think he has what it takes to compete at the international level. The striker battle is going to be interesting. I bet this means Dempsey starts up top June 12th.

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 11, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I think that this is fairly practical. Sad news about Davies - but I'm sure it's not without reason. If he is still far from match fit then it's probably just best to let him rehab without teasing him with the chance when he doesn't have one. He's young - let's hope he's back to his best for the next two Cup cycles.

I know Adu is a lightning rod for opinion - but when the whole notion of Project 2010 was thought up Freddy was the kind of kid that was supposed to step up and make us a contender. Not the end of the world - or his career - that it's not happening like that. Just think it's kind of interesting that he wasn't really even close to making the final squad.

Really, really hope that Buddle can make the jump from excellent MLS player to contributing Intl player in the next month.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 11, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"Even if he's only 20 minutes fit by the 3rd match, that's still more useful that bringing in a guy like Robbie Findley"

Charlie will hopefully get his shot in 4 years...

Posted by: icehippo | May 11, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

@VTUnited I guess so. Still, I want to see a duel between those two =), I think Davies would come out on top.

Posted by: XPHiLtER | May 11, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Casey did not make the list posted at US Soccer's website (for those asking why Goff excluded him).

I don't know why folks are shocked at Davies exclusion unless they've been training alongside him and know something Bob Bradley doesn't know. Holden and Onyewu recovered enough to make the list so the medical news wasn't all bad.

I think Bradley is often too conservative and tends to stick with the same players for too long. So I'm glad Gomez, Buddle and EJ (to a certain extent) were included thanks to their recent good form.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 11, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Just because Dunga only announced 23 doesn't mean he doesn't have 7 unannounced players who can replace the others if need be before the deadline. He will announce them later.

Posted by: GeneWells | May 11, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Rogers also went to Maryland.

Posted by: Colm1
------------------------------------------
True.

Maybe he will have a better training cap after Goff dissed him like that. Play with a chip on his shoulder, have something to prove, use for his motivational bulletin board (and throw in any other similar type cliches when a player has been so shamelessly "slighted").

Posted by: yankiboy | May 11, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

icehippo has it right - BB made the CD9 decision with his brain, not his heart. theres no room on a 23 man squad for a player in CD's current situation, so why waste a spot in the 30? its cold, but its probably the right call.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 11, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"You simply can't have anyone on the roster that isn't capable of playing 90 if it's needed. Too many possibilities of injuries or extra time, etc.
Charlie will hopefully get his shot in 4 years...

Posted by: icehippo"

Disagree. For a team like the US, there's a competitive threshold on the roster which it cannot overcome due to lack of depth in regards to talent.

If Robbie Findley is playing 90 minutes for the US, barring a miracle, the US does not have a shot at being successful. For a talent like Davies, you can take the risk of hoping you won't need your 23rd man (if he was deemed to progress enough by June 1) to play 90 minutes at any point in the tournament.

Posted by: psps23 | May 11, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

There's a shocker... Goff was right and Ives was wrong :-D

Posted by: Kev29 | May 11, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

It's sad for Davies. But if Bradley doesn't see him reaching top fitness and top form within 3 weeks, then it's time to prepare for the WC without Davies. Either Dempsey or Donovan figure to play up top.

I agree with fischy about the 6 guys competing for 2 spots, but I really can't understand what Beasley is doing in camp.

Posted by: hungrypug | May 11, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

c'mon June 12

Posted by: OWNTF | May 11, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

@psps23 - I dont think any of us realistically expect Findley to be on the final 23, but he certainly will offer better competetion in camp than Davies would at this point.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 11, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

"but I really can't understand what Beasley is doing in camp."

This is a roster devoid of World Cup experience. As veteran as it may seem, there are very few holdovers from previous World Cups, especially those who received playing time.

Beasley is here for leadership and experience.

Posted by: psps23 | May 11, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Bob Bradley interview on Sportscenter said they were told yesterday Sochaux has yet to medically clear him for game action. I'm fine with the decision, and will still wear my Davies jersey all the same, but it's time for another to step up. In Edson and Ale I trust!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 11, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I was a fan of Findley making the National Team a season ago when he was tearing up MLS teams from time to time. Today I think he does not deserve to go. Findley has shown me NOTHING in the friendlies he has been in except for one thing, that he can look scared when facing a better national team.

Posted by: elfelixg | May 11, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

VTUnited,

I get the thought behind the decision, I just don't agree with it. Davies is a special enough talent, and striker is a thin enough position, that you can make the exception in camp hoping he progresses enough. I would have said the same for Donovan or Dempsey.

Posted by: psps23 | May 11, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Don't know that I've seen this guy or heard much about him....Alejandro Bedoya (Orebro, Sweden),
Anyone have a book on him?
Thanks

Posted by: marksman37 | May 11, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

First thought that come to my mind with minimal filtering.

Charlie...What could have been. Seems like only a few months ago my Brother and the others US supporters who were harcore/crazy enough to travel to Azteca to support our boys and the viewers at home saw him singing at the mic that was previously used as a corner flag.

But at least he is still alive and will hopefully have a chance next time around)

Bedoya over Adu??? Interesting.

Casey out but Bornstein & Kljest are in?
What have they done recently to distinguish themselves that Conor hasn't?

That's right--they are two of BB's godsons. Sorry but have they played any better than Conor lately? Dude must be hot. I don't think that he has been an better or worse than those guys. Then again. He plays forward.

Findley--Sorry but I am still not sure that his name should be on the list.

EJ-Way to play yourself back on to the radar.

In an incredibly distant tangeant to the guys who Bradley has called into camp this time:

With all due respect to Jason Hernandez (sincerely. Will he please just decide to play for Puerto Rico now? He is a Bradley guy (not to the degree on Bornie or Kljest) and injuries hampered him from getting a US cap. Maybe it is time to where the other red, white and blue. Not trying to rain on his dream. To the best of my knowledge, he has always been classy about how he handled it. Bradley is going to most likely axed by the end of June. The new coach will probably not even give Hernandez a look...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 11, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

The 2002 team had very little experience and did great. Just playing in previous WC doesn't mean you're any good (see: US, 1998).

There is more to this than picking the best 23 talents. You also have to balance chemistry and *sometimes* bring players who may not be the best at their position, but work well with those around them.

Barring us starting 2-0 or 0-2, I wouldn't expect anyone past #16 on the depth chart to actually get in a game.

Posted by: SoccerVA | May 11, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

DF: Bornstein and Pearce are redundant, and in the group stages the US doesn't need as much attack from that outside back position: they need a solid, stay-home defender. IMO Spector gets that position, Bornstein backs him up and Pearce stays stateside (w/ Goodson).

MF: Edu & Clark are also redundant, but they'll both go. I hope Feilhaber finds his confidence, because he can be stellar. Sasha, Beasley & Rogers stay home.

FW: Bundle & Gomez have the form and the buzz. Excited to see them in the friendlies. Findley & Johnson unlikely to get the nod.

7 drops: Pearce, Goodson, Sasha, Beasley, Rogers, Findley & Johnson

Posted by: TheDeadAreAlive | May 11, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

would have liked to see Castillo in there too...

Posted by: troy6 | May 11, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Honestly I think the SOB should be fired now! I have disliked Bradley for quite some time and his idiotic conservative nature has shined through again. It is a shame that Charlie worked so hard to fulfill a dream so that some moron with little soccer intelligence can ruin it. Doesn't Findley have a knee injury that has held him back significantly? Why did he make the roster over Davies. I hate Bradley's coaching for so many reasons one of them being when his son is playing like crap he won't take him off the field. The other is that Bradley was the moron that kept Gooch and Davies on the roster and did not send them back to their respective club teams once we had qualified for the World Cup in Honduras. Thanks for all your hard work Bradley!

Posted by: no_recess | May 11, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Just say no to EJ.

Posted by: JRandomReader | May 11, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

This latest decision confirms my serious doubts about Bob Bradley's abilities as manager...
He crushes Charlie Davies' World Cup dream so that he can put an unfit Brian Ching in the squad??? That's absolutely outrageous. Davies deserved a place in the provisional squad, if only as reward for his efforts in qualifying and as added motivation for his comeback -- he might not have made the final 23 but so what?! Omitting him in favor of Ching, Johnson, et al will be a crushing blow to his morale. Brian Ching (no offense to the big lad) is useless, and basically a wasted roster spot because he lacks the quality to producing anything in World Cup competition... but Bradley loves to stick with these types of dead weight players that bring down the potential of the side. Maybe Ching's a big time locker room leader or something... who knows, but I would've given CHarlie his spot -- injury or no that kid could be big for us in the future. Ching will always be a scrub.

Posted by: dannypanama | May 11, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I understand not taking Davies, but I'm fearful that without someone with his speed our attack will be as flat as it was in 2006. Too many slow/aging forwards who may serve us well in the first round, but will struggle against England and in the knockout stage. Also, why Beasley?????? He hasn't been good since 2002.

Posted by: dahx4 | May 11, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Seven who won't make it:

Marshall, Pearce, Rogers, Kljestan, Beasley, Gomez, Findley

Posted by: scott47a | May 11, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I think that Marshall, Pearce, Beasley, Klejsten, Findley, and EJ get left home with Rogers, Buddle, and Gomez fighting it out for the final spot on the team.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | May 11, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Altidore

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | May 11, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: no_recess
-------------------------------------

Uh, yeah sure.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | May 11, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

it's sad that Bornstein could get torched like he did against Holland and still be a lock for a final 23 roster spot.

Heath Pearce isn't the answer either, but he's night and day better than Bornstein.

Hoping that after June we can get a coach who doesn't have irrational attachments to pet players like Bornstein and Kljestan who are given unlimited opportunities to prove they don't have what it takes at the elite level.

Posted by: joe_hill | May 11, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehippo"

"Disagree." Posted by: psps23

Have you watched the last few U.S. World Cups? Players need to be suited for 90 or they are a wasted space. Red, yellow cards, injuries happen. They will most certainly affect the U.S. team AGAIN.

Posted by: delantero | May 11, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: torrey151

Yeah....having the same problem myself today

Posted by: Smitty68 | May 11, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero

Posted by: Truckr | May 11, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Bob Bradley is an idiot for not taking a guy who almost died 6 months ago because he got into a car accident while breaking curfew and who only recently was able to run again? i've been hoping for a miracle with CD9 as much as anyone, but i can also accept the fact that it was a longshot, and most longshots don't come through. if the tournament started in July it might be different, but we need to have guys who can play in matches in the next 2-3 weeks against quality competition to get ready for the Big Event. he will have to wait for the 2011 Gold Cup (what, you're not counting down the days until that starts?).

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | May 11, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Feel bad that the accident happened to Davis and good that he is recovering. But the bottom line is that he had no business partying in the late hours before his team was to play in a qualifier. There are consequences in life and this should be a lesson.

Posted by: Verrazzano | May 11, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

NO Davies over Findley any day! I happy Eddie Johnson is in though, he seems hungry for success and to get back in the EPL!

Posted by: galaxylakers | May 11, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"Wait! What are you talking about?!
We decided?!
My best interest?!
How can you say what my best interest is?!"

Posted by: GreenbeltUnited | May 11, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"Wait! What are you talking about?!
We decided?!
My best interest?!
How can you say what my best interest is?!"

Posted by: GreenbeltUnited | May 11, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

The Davies decision is not surprising, nor is it unjustified. Miraculous recovery aside, he hasn't played a match in ages. And a fit Findley (who won't be going anyway) merits more consideration than someone who has been out so long and whose fitness summer remains uncertain. It's fine to be disappointed, I guess, but calling for Bradley to be fired? Really?

I like this group of 30; I'll probably like our team of 23.

I can't wait for June 12th.

Posted by: HWLongfellow | May 11, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

So frustrated...
Dear Bob,

Couldn't you give us a heart felt underdog story(CD9) for the World Cup? Gooch and Stewy aren't ready but they were invited? Instead, you thought it would be a great idea to invite Robbie Rogers and S.K. You have officially stopped being American and have made me a hater.

Hate,

This Fan

Posted by: UniteforDC | May 11, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Typo: *whose summer fitness remains uncertain.

Not that anyone cares about what I have to say. Ho hum.

Posted by: HWLongfellow | May 11, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero

Posted by: DadRyan | May 11, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"How can you say what my best interest is?!" Posted by: GreenbeltUnited

All I wanted was a Pepsi . .

Posted by: delantero | May 11, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Charlie Davies IS NOT READY. Some of you need to get that through your heads.

Posted by: Ron16 | May 11, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"You have officially stopped being American and have made me a hater."

by all means, please find another country to root for. you won't be missed.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | May 11, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

@UniteforDC

the difference between CD9 and Onyewu/Holden, besides the serverity of injury, is that we are deep at the latter positions. If Holden can't go, so what? We have 2 or 3 quality players at his spot that could go. Same for Onyewu. Thats not the case at forward, where BB has been searching for a replacement since October, and he will likely need every last training session to pick that player.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 11, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

"Red, yellow cards, injuries happen. They will most certainly affect the U.S. team AGAIN."

Yea, this is true. But that's why you carry 23 players on the roster, not 18. Unless 10 field players get hurt and/or suspended for the same match, you will not need all 23 players to be 90 minutes fit. That's a risk worth taking for a talent like Davies.

"I really don't want to look at my bench and think "Wow, Ching's hammy flared up again, and Jozy has accumulated some cards, if we lose him, then good ol' 20 minute Charlie is left."

I agree. I'd feel much better looking at my bench and saying to myself "whew, at least we have Robbie Findley to turn to."

Heck, even if that did happen, we still wouldn't turn to Findley. BB would probably insert Ricardo Clark, Stuart Holden, Benny Feilhaber, Jose Torres, Steve Cherundolo, Jonathan Bornstein, or countless other players while shifting his formation around and altering positions just so that he wouldn't have to play Findley or the other bottom-of-the-roster forwards.

"Also, let's remember that Davies is not Wayne Rooney, David Villa, Eto',Torres etc. He's fast and has a good scoring touch, but hardly a world class striker. I think his recent U.S. success has blinded some people to that fact."

You're missing the obvious context. The US is not operating in a vacuumed reality. David Villa is obviously a greater player than Davies...but so are his back-ups in comparison to Robbie Findley. It's not like the US can pull off Jozy Altidore and throw on Dani Guiza or Pedrito. The drop-off from Davies to, say, Buddle is easily as equivalent to the drop-off between Villa and Guiza. And that's the point you're missing.

Posted by: psps23 | May 11, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

this may be the first time i ever agreed with Ron16.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | May 11, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

c'mon June 12

Posted by: OWNTF | May 11, 2010 2:44 PM
================

Is that the day you're having Freddy Adu over for a cookout?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 11, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Dimes: I'll miss Unite4DC an awful lot. I'm pretty sure dude was joking...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 11, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Beasley and Bornstein are wasted space. No surprise about Davies or Adu really. Kind of surprised about Johnson but not sure he'll make the final cut.

Posted by: lovinliberty | May 11, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy for Goodson but I'm still not sure how his stock rose so high. Maybe someone can help a Brutha understand that one.

Then again. I'm not so sure how Mr. Pearce' stock is so high. Sure he played in Europe. Maybe the level of play with Dallas has dragged him back a little bit.

I just don't think that Dude is as good as BB does and he sure isn't as good as he (Pearce) thought he was a few years back.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 11, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"The drop-off from Davies to, say, Buddle is easily as equivalent to the drop-off between Villa and Guiza. And that's the point you're missing."

And the point that you're missing, is that CD isn't close to ready. I know many of you think that Bradley has the IQ of a squirrel, but do you really think he doesn't understand his striker situation? If there was a chance that Davies could even be marginally effective, then he would be on the list. His own club hasn't even officially cleared him for full training yet!

Posted by: icehippo | May 11, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Pretty solid roster. Beasley is the only one that seems odd to me and I hope he doesn't make the final cut. It's a shame about Davies, but an understandable decision.

Posted by: grognard66 | May 11, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

"How can you say what my best interest is?!" Posted by: GreenbeltUnited

All I wanted was a Pepsi . .

Posted by: delantero
--------------------
All I wanted was an attacking forward

and he wouldn't give it to me!

Posted by: troy6 | May 11, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

""The drop-off from Davies to, say, Buddle is easily as equivalent to the drop-off between Villa and Guiza. And that's the point you're missing""

Wow, that's a huge assumption b/c:

A) You haven't seen Buddle/Gomez with the US team anymore than I have
B) Davies (2 goals this season) played for Hammarby and a mid-range French club and transferred for free, if I'm not mistaken
C) David Villa (25 league goals) plays for a Valencia in a top league and his transfer fee is in the range of $40-50 million
D) Your evaluation of Davies' talent is just too pie in the sky.

Posted by: delantero | May 11, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Too bad for Charlie, he certainly tried very hard to make it. Hopefully he will come back well enough from his injury to be an asset to the team in the next WCQ -- and in the Gold Cup next year, which sets up eligibility for the Confederations Cup in 2013.

I wonder whether, as a coach, Bradley has any consideration in mind about the circumstances of the accident.

Posted by: DCUSince96 | May 11, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

His club team did not provide medical clearance for Charlie Davies. End of discussion / whining / rants.

Unlike most Redskins fans (I'm one too), let's focus on who is here rather than who is not. Go USA!

Posted by: G-SHOK | May 11, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Cherundolo is the one that bothers me. Guaranteed he'll be exploited if he gets on the field. He is not an outside back.

I just think the Davies situation is unfortunate but I honestly don't see how he can be 100% fit in a month given the rehab he's been going through. If you bring him to camp he'll try to do more than he's currently capable of - and you risk the chance of setting him back with another serious injury. I'm sure he's disappointed but let him heal and get back to his true form before chancing his career by coming back way too soon.

Posted by: AsstGM | May 11, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUSince96
-------------------------------------------
If he does, they were probably outweighed by the fact that the kid is just not ready.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 11, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

"If there was a chance that Davies could even be marginally effective, then he would be on the list.

Posted by: icehippo"

Ah, see, now you're throwing a different argument at me.

Which is it? That Davies doesn't have a chance to be marginally effective? Or that BB can't afford to select any player that won't be 90 minutes fit? Surely you can see the difference between the two.

If it's the first argument; given that nobody could predict his speedy and oft-referred to "miraculous" recovery up to this point, I fail to see how anybody could determine with certainty that he won't be fully functional on the field a month from now. All I argued for was that he be brought in for a look and given the shot to see how he progresses.

And please, keep your false posturing to yourself. By no means do I think BB is a genius, but I recognize some of the pretty enviable success he's had as a coach, including the formation of the most dynamic US team I've seen in my lifetime. And nowhere have I called for him to be fired or even singled him out in any of these posts.

Posted by: psps23 | May 11, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

"We have 4 options at forward, Jozy, Ching, Dempsey and Donovan. We'll move people around if necessary, but I doubt anyone else will see the pitch at that spot."

Posted by: SoccerVA | May 11, 2010 2:58 PM

I disagree. I think Buddle and Gomez are truly viable options. Gomez just won the Golden Boot in Mexico, for heaven's sake. And Buddle and Donnovan are connecting well - which is worth a lot. Ching is less of a lock than either Buddle or Gomez, I think.

Also bummed Charlie isn't going, but I'm sure BB and company have made the right decision given all the factors involved. I do hope Charlie can get past this mentally.

Posted by: WorldCup | May 11, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

And so it begins...

Poor BB, dude can never win.

I like the list. It's where we are right now in our development as a soccer Nation. I am not big on some of the names there but BB knows what he's doing. Contrary to what some are saying, I'm quite sure he's not putting his job and future reputation as a coach/manager on the line just because he likes a few players who many internet pundits and web-jedhi coaches hate. At BB's level the selection math is much tougher than the usual "this or that player sucks, or is garbage, or is whatever". I like this team, and I think BB can get something out of these guys.

Plus I was wishing for CD9's inclusion, but he's not ready to go. He is just not ready. Whatever math you come up with (35% of Davies > 90% of Ching) does not change the fact that the kid is not ready. Accept that, wish him steady progress on his path to full recovery and let's hope he's back in the game for us in the next cycles.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 11, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

@yankiboy - not meant to offend, just sick of those whose immediate reaction to everything USMNT related is negativity, foot-stomping, etc. not sure where the joke was, but i'm not always the sharpest knife in the shed.

on to actual soccer content, i think Goodson has filled in decently in recent months with Onyewu and DeMerit being out, as well as at the 2009 Gold Cup (prior to the beatdown from Mexico). he's definitely looked better than Marshall and has been called into camp a lot, giving him ample chances to impress Bradley.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | May 11, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

===

I strongly doubt that.

Posted by: mason08 | May 11, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

"A) You haven't seen Buddle/Gomez with the US team anymore than I have
D) Your evaluation of Davies' talent is just too pie in the sky.

Posted by: delantero"

Haha ok, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't think you're fully getting the point that I'm not comparing Davies to Villa, but rather Davies:Buddle to Villa:Guiza. Just stating the measurables of Davies and Villa alone don't validate either of the arguments.

And I hope beyond all else that Buddle or Gomez or Johnson or Findley can be the spark that Davies was last year. But given what I know now, I don't see it happening. I guess that's why we have these blogs; to discuss and share opinions.

Posted by: psps23 | May 11, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Who would you all say are the creative playmakers on this team?

Posted by: audacitea | May 11, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23

Are you sure you aren't Mason08? He used to incessantly argue too.

Uh, plus I get your point. Done plenty of SAT's, GRE's etc. And it's not that much of a drop off from Davies to X, Y, or Z.

Answer this, you've seen Gomez and Buddle enough to make such an argument? That they are comparable to Villa/Guiza. Caca de toros.

Posted by: delantero | May 11, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

The paucity of Latino players is a disgrace - as is Bradley's bizarre refusal to give minutes to Jose Francisco Torres. Clearly, there's a scouting problem in the U.S.

Posted by: Brooklyn4 | May 11, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Shocking that Bradley finds space for Rogers and Kljestan yet can't spare a spot for this guy...

I know it's in popular to write Adu's obituary already, but the guy that impressed against the best teams in the world two years ago, and he's finally getting regular minutes again. How is he not worth a look while known, crap commodities like Rogers and Kljestan make the 30?

Posted by: DEFPOTEC1 | May 11, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: delantero"

Well I was the one who tried to leave it at agree to disagree, but I guess I'm not the only one who incessantly argues.

And yes, I have seen enough of Gomez, Buddle, Guiza, Villa, and Davies to form that opinion. However, I do honestly hope that I am wrong.

Let me ask you this? Have you seen enough of a Gomez and Buddle to make such an argument? That it's not much of a drop-off from Davies to X, Y, or Z? Caca de toro.

Posted by: psps23 | May 11, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Freddy Adu??? This kid was hailed as the next Pele, and he can't get a shot to make the team?

What are his prospects for the future?

Posted by: jdwilliams | May 11, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Yes, but I am right, you are wrong, nanny, nanny, boo-boo, stick your head in doo doo.

Ha! Argument over!

Looking forward to Davies and Adu in 2014.

Posted by: delantero | May 11, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Would have loved to have seen Franke Hedjuk on that roster.

Of course, choosing line-ups has never been one of Bradleys strengths.

Posted by: Vicc | May 11, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Freddy Adu???

Posted by: Vicc | May 11, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

The trouble with Adu, is the same as Feilbaber and Torres. Inconsistent. I think Freddy has a little more individual flair than the other two. And the other two give a little more on the defensive side than Freddy does. But you just want to see that consistent attacking presence from any one of the three of those guys. It would make us a far better side heading into this tournament if we knew we could rely on somebody for that creative spark.

The roster that we have isn't bad. In fact I'm hopeful of a deep run. But the soccer will probably be formulaic. Long balls. Counters.

Posted by: Matte | May 11, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

*******************

Actually, the circumstances could well be a very negative factor, not a positive factor to be outweighed. Davies was out with the ladies at 3 AM the day before a game that was going to determine first place in CONCACAF qualifying, with the potential to affect seeding (though in the end it did not).

Posted by: DCUSince96 | May 11, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

The paucity of Latino players is a disgrace
Posted by: Brooklyn4
==============

Bocanegra, Bornstein, Bedoya, Torres, Gomez. That's 17% of the roster, roughly proportional to the US population. Check your facts before posting.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 11, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I had assumed that Guzan was a Latino name, but I checked my facts before posting :-) and was interested to note that he is Polish-American

Posted by: DCUSince96 | May 11, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I-270 FTW

Congrats to those not bragging about being right that Adu was not picked..

Posted by: Reignking | May 11, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Is there a rule in international soccer that states if a player is not released by his club team for injury reasons he/she cannot play for their country's national team? If there is then Bradley had no choice but to cut Davies.

Posted by: no_recess | May 11, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

@PrinceBuster21

Any man's opinion who inserts prince in his user ID doesn't deserve respect.

Posted by: no_recess | May 11, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Are you sure you aren't Mason08? He used to incessantly argue too.

===

Go frak yourself.

That is all.

Posted by: mason08 | May 11, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

@I-270Exit1

Are you sure Jonathan Bornstein is Latino?

Posted by: no_recess | May 11, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

"Wait! What are you talking about?!
We decided?!
My best interest?!
How can you say what my best interest is?!"

Posted by: GreenbeltUnited | May 11, 2010 3:28 PM

All I wanted was a Pepsi . .

Posted by: delantero | May 11, 2010 3:32 PM

AND SHE WOULDN'T GIVE IT TO ME!!!
I SAID AW C'MON MOM PLEASE GIVE ME A PEPSI
AND SHE WOULDN'T GIVE IT TO ME!!!
ALL I WANTED WAS A F^*#KING PEPSI!

Posted by: wise-en-up2 | May 11, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

@Dimes, no offense taken. I took the comments as being so far over the top that they had to be satire. I get your take on some people always expecting the worst for the USMNT. We'll play with who we got and hope for the best.

Thanks for the feedback on Goodson. I'm still just not seeing it. I don't know if he is going to be on the list for South Africa or not. But hey, maybe he is gonna "blow up" and after the tournament the Norwegians are gonna sell him to a Dutch or German club and make some coin.
Everybody wins...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 11, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Are you sure Jonathan Bornstein is Latino?

Posted by: no_recess

He plays for Chivas!

Posted by: Reignking | May 11, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

@I-270 Thanks for dispelling the tired canard that Bradley doesn't pick latinos. You could also have included the Austrian-Brazilian Benny Feilhaber.

@no_recess Bornstein's mother is Mexican.

Posted by: BooThisMan | May 11, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

@I270: Bro, yo are always dropping knowledge (along with some lyrics from time to time).

The post from the Brooklyn brother was very helpful in that I wasn't familiar with that word before (hey--that's how you expand a vocab) and it shows how offbase perceptions can be.

I didn't realize that Bornstein was latino. I better back off of critcizing him so much before I criticized for "picking" on him by some of the peoples who are on the look out for that sort of thing. :)

Posted by: yankiboy | May 11, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I have to wonder why Bradley didn't at least get the US medical staff to examine Charlie instead of just relying on Souchaux's current assessment. Then again, I agree with some of the commentators that have noted an inflated sense of Charlie's abilities here. I remember him missing quite a few clear chances that he should have buried in the three qualifiers before his injury.

Posted by: BooThisMan | May 11, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Funny Bornstein is often described in web writings as of "mixed" Jewish and Mexican heritage. Which is apples and oranges, isn't it? Maybe he is mixed Jewish and Christian, or US and Mexican, or both.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 11, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I have a few West-African friends who assure me that the youth of African players are typically exaggerated. Adu is a bum and he's older than we think. He'll never play on a world cup roster.

Posted by: Vicc
======================================

Oh, well, if your West African friends assure you of his age, it must be true. I have a West African friend who assures me on a daily basis that he needs my help moving tens of millions of dollars from his dead father's bank account to mine.

Posted by: edgeonyou | May 11, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

edgeonyou,

*chuckle*

You have no idea what you're talking about.

If you actually knew any West-Africans, you wouldn't be mocking my claim.

I apologize. I didn't mean to rock your world. Since it makes you feel better, Freddy Adu is 'really' 20 years old and Santa Claus is real. carry on...

Posted by: Vicc | May 11, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Just please not Beasley in the final squad. And once again, we look stronger at GK than any other position.

Posted by: hoya84 | May 11, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Not even a look at Freddy Adu...his international career ended when Bradley took. Rongen and Bradley one one thing in common, technical players with talent are mustered out.

Posted by: juke2 | May 11, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Is coach going to play Gomez out of position during the friendlies; one way to kill a talented goose.

Posted by: juke2 | May 11, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who doesn't think this is an incredible group of players is new to US Soccer. The fact that we are arguing that Findley isn't good enough is a testimant to how far we have come.

I couldn't be happier with Bradley's picks and really it comes down to our core 11 players (which wont change when he drops the squad down to our final team).

Posted by: Southeasterner | May 11, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

The paucity of Latino players is a disgrace
Posted by: Brooklyn4
==============

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 11, 2010 5:36 PM
_________________________________________

Someone could argue that given the talent pool, Latinos should be *overrepresented*. By way of example, the women's field hockey team that competed in the most recent Olympics was dominated by players from southeastern Pennsylvania, for historical and cultual reasons. Would any sane person have wanted it any other way? If the squad had been more representative of the country as a whole (i.e., less than 5 percent of the roster from that area, instead of about two-thirds), it would have been far less competitive. (They only finished in sixth place as it was.)

Posted by: universityandpark | May 11, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Southeasterner | May 11, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Huh? Between useless appearances with the national team Findley is busy losing his starting spot at RSL. The fact that he's even in the discussion is a sign we haven't come far at all since 2002. We have no one who comes close to 2002-vintage McBride on this list. Nor do we have a central midfielder with the skill and vision Reyna and O'Brien brought to the table in 2002. Donovan is fantastic. Dempsey is capable of great things. But aside from those two I fear we're worse today than we were eight years ago. We've definitely hit a wall since 2002. O'Brien's injuries and our inability to develop a pool of quality forwards is holding us back.

And it doesn't just come down to the first 11. Inevitably there will be a knock or two, there will be suspensions due to red cards or accumulated yellow cards. And don't forget that several first choice players (Onyewu, DeMerit, possibly Holden) have had serious injury concerns and likely won't be 100 percent.

Hell, even our first 11 has glaring weaknesses. Toss in the lack of depth up top and in central defense...

Still, we're the second best team on paper in our group and SHOULD advance. But I won't be surprised if we don't.

Posted by: DEFPOTEC1 | May 11, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF

No, Jewish can be EITHER an ethnic origin or a religious identity (or both).

Posted by: DCUSince96 | May 11, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

@Vicc

I am from West Africa, Sierra Leone to be exact and speaking as someone who was once a 20 year old West African male trust me, Freddy Adu is a 20 year old young man.

I thought his immaturity was a huge red flag that screamed "very young male human here", but according to your West African friends, he is putting all of his energy into an act to seem younger than he really is, because...I dunno, I don't think crazy so you'll have to have one of your "West African" friends answer that one.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 11, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

INnBornstein's case, that's more of a description of cultural heritages, I think. The Mexican side of his family, I believe, is not Jewish -- which contrasts with me, Jewish on both my Mexican and American sides.

Posted by: fischy | May 11, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Who would you all say are the creative playmakers on this team?

Posted by: audacitea | May 11, 2010 4:38 PM
-----------------------------------------------------

Huh? This the U.S. national team. Creative playmakers? Does not compute.

In a more serious vein, Donovan and Holden have some playmaking ability. Supposedly, so does Torres, though I've yet to see any evidence of it. I think it's a myth, based on his Mexican heritage. Ditto for Feilhaber -- a myth, based on his Brazilian-Jewish mixed heritage.

Posted by: fischy | May 11, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I think this is a very good group, a good mix of some young and experience players. If I had to choose from this group of players to play England I would pick.

Tim Howard
Marshall, Bocanegra, Onyewu, Cherundolo
Bradley, Torres, Holden, Donovan
Altidore, Dempsey

Posted by: RM27 | May 11, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Dempsey's got a bit of the play-making ability as well.

Posted by: BooThisMan | May 12, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

The usual Bradley conservative (read: mediocre) line-up...we'll get 2 points (max) in the group stage, and then maybe US Soccer will fire BB...let's hope so.

Posted by: cidcamp70 | May 12, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

@PrinceBuster21

Any man's opinion who inserts prince in his user ID doesn't deserve respect.

Posted by: no_recess | May 11, 2010 6:16 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone who throws around obscene insults because they don't agree with a couple of choices the guy made to a soccer team deserves even less than respect. That's compounded by one's demonstrating total ignorance of the history of Jamaican music (ska/reggae) and Prince Buster's seminal role.

Posted by: fischy | May 12, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I anticipate either Dempsey or Donovan starting at left mid. I would much rather have Adu in reserve than Beasley. Given Beasley's selection, I hope he returns to form and has a great WC -- for the sake of USA. That assumes he gets to the WC and isn't displaced by Rogers. Whoever goes, it just shows USA's lack of left-side depth.

No matter who plays wide in defense, they will be eaten alive by England's skill and speed on the flanks. The fullbacks will need extraordinary help from their midfielders, because the central defenders will be consumed with Rooney and his new-found heading skill.

Beating England would be as great an upset as that shocker half a century ago.
Best wishes, USA. Maybe you can exploit England's defense, it's weak point on paper, at least.

Posted by: runningcloud | May 12, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Note to self for 2014: WC roster announcements always bring out the crazies. Swear off the soccer blogs for a day or two.

Posted by: benonthehill | May 12, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

@Vicc

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 11, 2010 11:41 PM

`

Kool. Two of my life long friends are from Sierra Leone as well.

One of them moved to the U.S. at 14. That's when I met him and have been friends with him for 12 years. He has a cousin playing on the Sierra Leone National squad. They both share the same last name: Ibrahim Kargbo.

He also has a very good friend on the squad, Mustafa Bangura. They grew up together and are the same age. However, the world cup video game lists his age at 20, when really he is 26.

It happens all the time Kosh. Remember an ESPN outside the lines segment where Miguel Tejada was actually 2 years older than reported and they questioned him about it?

Posted by: Vicc | May 12, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

A day late, but I was joking. Harsh response dimes. I am still a fan who went to Germany and would go to S.Africa if not for wedding plans.
Yankiboy, thanks for recognizing that the rest of the comment was merely frustration and a stab at comedy.

Posted by: UniteforDC | May 12, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

XPHilter: No one is saying Findley is "better than Davies"--just that in his current form and fitness Davies isn't read for World class compitiion and punishment. His French club refused to give him medical clearance. And the US trainers observing Charlie had Davies at 65% fitness and 50% form.... It would have been a great story though, had it worked out.

Discussion: 30 Man Roster Named; Davies Left Off

-----------------

Posted by: XPHiLtER | May 11, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dwreck1971 | May 12, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

PS My biggest question is taking EJ, Buddle and Findley--who all play essentially VERY similiar games. Two of these three guys are gonna go. Ching has to stay cos he's the only pure target man we have. Gomez has a great shot at staying on this team as well.

Posted by: dwreck1971 | May 12, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse