U.S. World Cup training camp update

*Injury watch: Defenders Chad Marshall (hamstring) and Jay DeMerit (lower abdominal) worked with the trainers on the side. Defender Carlos Bocanegra (lower abdominal) and goalkeeper Tim Howard (quadriceps) participated in most of the workout. Forward Eddie Johnson (hamstring) underwent a physical and didn't practice.

*Defender Clarence Goodson and midfielder Benny Feilhaber joined the group after arriving from Europe. Oguchi Onyewu and Alejandro Bedoya are on their way.

*I will have a full story about Landon Donovan later, but for now, here are his thoughts on longtime teammate DaMarcus Beasley, who is attempting to earn a roster slot after minimal playing time in Scotland the past few months:

"In Holland in March [for the U.S. friendly], we saw the DaMarcus that we know. Something has clicked in his head and he is figuring out now what it takes to be an elite player. Now we see that again. It's nice because, when he is playing well, he is a really good player that can be a very big part of this team. All of us that know Beas well are really pulling and hoping he makes it. ... We all figure things out at certain points, and it just seems like something has switched on and he realizes what this means. It's good to see him passionate and really wanting this."

*Donovan, asked about Oguchi Onyewu's pledge to forego a year of earnings after missing most of this season with AC Milan, deadpanned: "You can tell Bruce [Arena] I am not playing for free anytime soon."

*Jonathan Spector is a versatile defender, and with questions about backline fitness and combinations, he could end up anywhere in the lineup (or in reserve). For West Ham, Spector started on the right and left side. If he had a choice? "I am naturally right-footed and like playing as a right fullback, but I am certainly comfortable to play in any of the other positions. I will be prepared. I think we will have the majority of our players back, not all of them. There are no long-term injuries, so we should have a solid group going into the opening game."

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  May 18, 2010; 2:02 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Americans Abroad , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Carlos Bocanegra, DaMarcus Beasley, Eddie Johnson, Jonathan Spector, Landon Donovan, Oguchi Onyewu, U.S. national team, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup kickaround: Ballack, rosters, terrorism
Next: World Cup and MLS news & notes

Comments

Something just clicked in Beas's brain NOW? Dear god... I just don't know anymore.

Posted by: elfelixg | May 18, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised at all that this is the first time something has clicked. He's been unbelievably inconsistent, and some of that has to be that, once he's worked himself into some kind of form, he takes his foot off the gas. Bring Bedoya, and if there's room bring Beas, but making him the one sub on the wing is a Bad choice.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 18, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Kind of like a smoker that realizes he needs to quit after being diagnosed with lung cancer, huh?

Posted by: rss317 | May 18, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

If the choice is Beasley or Bedoya, I'd definitely go with Beasley. Beasley's played in two World Cups, the Champions League, myriad qualifiers, etc. Yes, he was crap last summer and is out of favor in Glasgow. But if healthy (which is his problem, not taking his foot off the pedal) I trust him a hell of lot more than some guy whose biggest game was probably an ACC championship game a couple years ago.

And let's not forget Beasley actually looked dangerous against Holland, and certainly showed me more than Bedoya in their respective sub appearances.

Beasley's definitely not the same guy he was several years ago, far from it. But I'm dumbfounded by the belief lots of folks are willing to put in someone as unproven as Bedoya. I'd like to see both get minutes against the Czechs. If Beasley outperforms Bedoya (again), it's a no-brainer -- take Beasley. Bedoya needs to show a hell of a lot more to convince me he's ready to make a contribution this summer.

Posted by: DEFPOTEC1 | May 18, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

World Cup related. Major screw up over at WGN. Stoopid Americans! ;-)

Posted by: nairbsod | May 18, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Bocanegra has a pulled abdominal muscle, huh? Further confirmation on why I refuse to have such muscles.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 18, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

The Holland game was a high point for him, but it hasn't just been the injuries that have done him in. Forget about the Brazil game -- that's one play. It's the other USMNT matches that he was plain awful in.

US fans were ready to forget about Beas long before that awful corner kick.

Posted by: Reignking | May 18, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

WGN has definite problems down south.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 18, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the laugh Randal.

Thanks for getting in there and doing work Steve.
Looking forward to more.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 18, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

@DEFPOTEC1

We had faith in Beasley, but he's lost it more times than I care to say. He's been unable to put together an entire season since before Germany. Bedoya not only looked good in his outings, he looked unfazed and up to speed, and was a part of All the good buildup play vs. Holland.

You may cite Beasley's experience, but there's a reason that he has that resume and still isn't definite for the world cup.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 18, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Goff has had two articles in the dead-tree version of the Post the past two days, and I'm not sure whether links have been posted here or not:

Posted by: universityandpark | May 18, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

thanks for posting those university.

Posted by: nairbsod | May 18, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Eric Cantona will be coming to town (sort of) a week from Friday:

(Scroll down nearly to the bottom.)

Posted by: universityandpark | May 18, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

It is reasonable to conclude both Beasley and Bedoya make the final roster. Players to get cut in possibly scenario:

Marshall, Kljestian, Rogers, Pearce, Johnson, Gomez, Findley (supplement Ching/Buddle as you wish).

This assumes Bradley only brings three natural strikers. A situation which is plausible because Donovan and Dempsey can play uptop. It also allows for the possibility of playing a 4-5-1. A role Holden has featured with Houston and Bolton. Torres, Feilhaber, or Bradley could also play the forward part of the triangle. (I do not think Bradley will go with a 4-5-1 and I would not suggest it either.)

If I had to pick the three strikers Bradley would choose I would go with Altidore, Ching, Buddle. (It may be a toss up between Buddle, Johnson, Gomez).

The other scenario we should consider is that Bradley will keep both Beasley and Bedoya, plus four strikers. This would mean the real battle for the last spot is Torres v Feilhaber. Not sure who wins that one. Torres's form is on the up while Feilhaber's has recently declined. Though, Feilhaber has featured more under the Bradley era (or "regime" if you are Rush Limbaugh).

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 18, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

OT: The conspiracy theory that DCU is trying to drive their fans away so no one cares when they move seems more and more believable by the day. Can anyone with FIOS in Arlington tell me what channel if any is Galavision for those customers? I don't even know if my casual soccer bros will even put up with watching the DCU match on Galavision this weekend even if they have it....

Ol DadRyan may have to wander up to this Mi Pueblo joint that took over the space Dona Pupuseria Azucena on Glebe Road. They're claiming to be a sports bar now. Hmmm.

It also looks to not be on Direct Kick?

Sorry to bust off topic, but United sure has made it difficult to just watch their road matches not to mention stomach the play on the field. When does Jakovic come back?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 18, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

dr, I walked by there on Saturday and it sure looks like Dona Azucena is still open. the sports bar is next door, taking over from the other salvadoran place. find out for sure, though, will you? I'd be up for watching the game there.

Posted by: troy6 | May 18, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Yo, I looked up the addresses and I think you're right troy. Oops. At any rate, I noticed the place a while back when the Barca/Real Madrid match was happening and they had some posters up in the windows, and looking inside they had some big flat screens.

I will investigate.

Still, anyone know what channel Galavision is for FIOS customers in Arlington? Thanks.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 18, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTUnited | May 18, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Galavision is Channel 274 on my FIOS system. I doubt the game can be on DirectKick. Galavision probably has broadcast rights to the game.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 18, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Troy & Dad,

interesting updates. I don't know about Dona Azucena as a sports bar but the pupusas are definitely worthwhile. Main problem is getting into the tiny parking lot off busy Glebe Road sometimes...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 18, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Senor Goff -- do you have any info on the reasons behind John Maessner's leaving DCU? This seems like more bad news, given that our Academy has seemed like the one thing going right. Did he get a better gig somewhere else? Or is he gettin' out while the gettin' out is good?

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | May 18, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Joel, that's why a parking pass at my condo down the road comes in handy. :)
There was a Salvadoran joint next to Dona that has either changed hands/and/or revamped itself into "Mi Pueblo". I was in fact talking to some other dads about rolling down there some time to watch a match as the place is claiming to be a sports bar on its new sign out front...

And thanks for the 411 on the Galavision channel number guys!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 18, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse