Video: Argentina 5, Canada 0

No need for Lionel Messi, who sat this one out. Maxi Rodriguez had the first two goals, Angel Di Maria added a magnificent strike, Carlos Tevez finished from close range and Sergio Aguero weaved his way to the final goal in a 5-0 victory over Canada in Buenos Aires.

Goalkeeper Pat Onstad (Houston Dynamo), defender Andrew Hainault (Houston) and midfielder Will Johnson (Real Salt Lake) played all 90 minutes while midfielder Dwayne De Rosario (Toronto) went 87. Onstad, 42, became the most capped goalie (57) in Canadian history.

By Steve Goff  |  May 24, 2010; 10:16 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Argentina , Canada , MLS  | Tags: Argentina, Canada, Diego Maradona, Lionel Messi, MLS, Maxi Rodriguez, Pat Onstad, Sergio Aguero, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: England-Mexico
Next: Tuesday kickaround

Comments

Zero, Canada...

Posted by: Reignking | May 24, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

so wow, Canada=not good.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | May 24, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Cape Verde 0, Portgual 0

Really? After needing a playoff round to qualify for the Cup, Portugal needs to worry.

Posted by: delantero | May 24, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

...a woodshed moment.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 24, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

My two favorite teams this World Cup are the US and whoever is playing against Cristiano Ronaldo.

Posted by: McBride33 | May 24, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

My take on the Freedom-Canada match Sunday at GMU:

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 25, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Maxi padding his stats against the Canucks. ;-)

Posted by: whoshotsam | May 25, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

[sarcasm]CONCACRAP is looking pretty good.[/sarcasm]

Let me go out on a limb here:
The US does less than impress tomorrow vs. Czech Republic. Ok, sure, we'll only play our starters for half of the match but that will probably be our best half.

Posted by: Palin-McCain2012 | May 25, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

wow, Canada sucks... I kid, I kid... Argentina is kinda ok... but it must suck to be Canadian... just sayin`

Posted by: Samuraise | May 25, 2010 3:11 AM | Report abuse

(Shaking head) Oh Canada.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 25, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Could onstad have been farther off his line on that third goal? Nice move by the #4 Defender on the fourth goal.

Posted by: mizage | May 25, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Canada player, "My GOD, what an unfair game, them playing with 15 guys on their team at the same time and all. They were all over us, we had no time to catch our breath, I mean we were a man down the whole game... at least it felt that way. I asked the ref what that was a'boot? He just kept saying we were in Argentina's hoose and when were in their hoose we play by their rules".

Posted by: elfelixg | May 25, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

(Shaking head) Oh Canada.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 25, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse

====================

Don't cry for me. Argentina (shrugging shoulders).

Posted by: OWNTF | May 25, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Were those white-powdered tears of joy rolling down Maradona's cheeks?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 25, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for the Freedom report, Rand-al-Thor. Nice to see 2,200 for a friendly.

Interesting side note -- I believe that on Saturday Wambach's 2d goal moved her past Canadian Coach Morace on the all-time international goals list, 106 to 105. Those are big numbers.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 25, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Canada is a disgrace to CONCACAF. They should be better than they are...

Posted by: alan19 | May 25, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | May 25, 2010 9:50 AM
_________________________________________

And thanks from me, too. However, you could have been harder on the Freedom D. As I noted in an earlier thread, they gave the ball away a lot in their own half, and they were quite fortunate to have given up only one goal by intermission.

A crowd of 2,200 is nice for a friendly, I suppose, with emphasis on "for a friendly." It just goes to show that American sports fans don't know what to make of anything outside the familiar league competition format (see USOC). After all, I suspect that a nearly full-strength Canada WNT is about as good as any WPS side, so this should have been considered equivalent to a WPS match at the 'Plex. Besides, this was probably the only chance for Virginians to see the Freedom in their own backyard for the foreseeable future, so it would have been nice if more people had taken advantage. Perhaps it was the absence of a beer garden that kept people away.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 25, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse