Video: D.C. United 3, AC Milan 2

Highlights from D.C. United's 3-2 victory over AC Milan in front of 30,000-plus at RFK Stadium:
Get Microsoft Silverlight

By Steve Goff  |  May 27, 2010; 12:07 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Italy  | Tags: AC Milan, D.C. United, Ronaldinho
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: D.C. United-AC Milan
Next: Thursday kickaround

Comments

numero uno...

Najar impressed me the most tonight. he looked good out there.

Posted by: qwerty652 | May 27, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

numero dos...

I didn't see the same game, I guess.

I'll tell you who did play a good game, even though he was torched few times by Pato -- Rodney Wallace. One of his best performances in the negriblanco DCU kit. Pontius, of course, also looked very good. First time that this pair turned in good games this year. Very encouraging. As for this year's rookies, Jordan Graye and Bill Hamid both looked like they belonged.

Posted by: fischy | May 27, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

We beat AC Milan, sweet! Do we get Italy's last UCL spot? JK. Well done team and well done fans, 30 K not bad.

I only got to see the highlights so there's not much there to form an opinion on. Plus it was a friendly so I'll be friendly, but the 2nd Oddo goal? Just sayin'

Welcome back Party, Tino and Emilio. Well done lads.

VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 27, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Way to go, United! Those first 2 goals were excellent. Nice job tonight! That win makes me smile. Congrats!

And Ronaldinho setting himself up for a bicycle kick -- wow -- don't see that too often.

Posted by: UnitedFanInTX | May 27, 2010 1:34 AM | Report abuse

Great display by everyone except Onalfo. Plus, I think King might be looking to dethrone Morsink in the distributor role.

Seriously, though, that substitute calculation was weird and amateurish. Always hold onto at least one change for injury purposes late in the game. But Pontius, Najar, Emilio, even Graye and Wallace showed well.

But Castillo deserves to be fined, because we finally saw the one reason he looked any good in qualifiers: He only puts in the effort against opponents he deems worthy of showboating.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 27, 2010 2:24 AM | Report abuse

I just love that 400 section view. Proud of Wallace, he had a great night. I kept mixing Castillo and Najar up on the field, gotta be those bright yellow cleats, seems like half the team is wearing them now.

Ronhaldino's continued acknowledgement of the crowd was pretty classy.

Not sure what was goin on with LaNorte but at some point they were having a war of words with the section behind them. A few beers went flying.

Posted by: DCB23 | May 27, 2010 5:25 AM | Report abuse

Pigs were requesting permission to land at Reagan National last night. Who would have thunk it?

Let's go Party Boy, Graye, King, Big Bill and Rodney. Please play like that on Saturday and beyond.

Luci - we love an opportunist. Well done.

VAMOS UNITED

Posted by: tcbannon | May 27, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Re. "well done fans" - fine, but I hope they come back. And United gives them something to watch again.

There was nothing wrong with our third goal, either. This team needs to capitalize on all the mistakes it can.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 27, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe 30k people show up for these games.

Posted by: Reignking | May 27, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Congrats, DCU. Finally, a 90-minute effort. The first half showed that if they put their mind to it, the "starters" can play as a team. King was excellent. Can he do it again? The second half was true grit, especially the final 25 minutes when a pack of reserves, down to 10 men, held off a relentless attack by Serie A-quality players. The third goal was a gift, but kudos to Allsopp for forcing it. Morsink's handball was a questionable call. His arm was tight against his body. The match's three other goals were excellent. Graye did a decent job when he moved to left back. Is that a good omen for the future?

Yes, it was just a friendly, and DCU was hungrier than AC Milan -- until Milan grew ravenous in the second half. Fans can only hope that the match can lift DCU out of its doldrums.

Posted by: runningcloud | May 27, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Great job, United. Hamid>Perkins, btw.

Posted by: JRandomReader | May 27, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: benonthehill | May 27, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

> Did that shot from distance take a deflection to beat Perkins or did it sneak under him? Couldn't tell from the video.

I had a pretty good view from the stands (albeit a view from the stands). It appeared to me that Perkins was screened on the shot. I didn't see a deflection, but I saw his searching and late reaction. In any case, it was a damn good shot that any keeper would have had trouble with.

Hamid looked great out there, but IMO, so did Perkins. I'm happy with our GK situation right now.

I agree that Najar looked phenomenal. I don't care how young he is -- he's earned a starting job as far as I'm concerned.

Khumalo, Moresink, and sadly Moreno looked like the weak links from my seat.

If ever a team was in need of -- and handed -- a catalyst, this was it. Let's bring this version of DCU back to the league!

Vamos!

Posted by: -rke- | May 27, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Ah.. did see a player quote that there was a deflection on the shot. In any case, I thought Perkins had a fine game as well as Hamid.

Posted by: -rke- | May 27, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

To tell the truth, i have not seen DCU play a better first half this year then they did yesterday night. I was expecting a blowout, instead DCU came out and played a flawless first half in my opinion. Wallace and Pontius on the left were fantastic. Simms stepped up and played a good game as well.

Posted by: g3impreza | May 27, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Khumalo, Moresink, and sadly Moreno looked like the weak links from my seat.

Posted by: -rke- | May 27, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------------

Posted by: tcbannon | May 27, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Stuck record alert: Perkins looked painfully slow (as he usually does). When he is lit up, it is because he is a second or two out of position. I don't know why so many people seem to make excuses for the guy. Trade him while we can still get something for him! Hamid on the other hand looks like he could be a future National Team player. Time for Hamid to take over the starting position permanently.

Posted by: alan19 | May 27, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Is anything wrong with Adam Christman?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | May 27, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

From this video, especially from that bicycle kick that didn't go in, Perkins doesn't look like he belongs. At least not on the level of Hamid. Compare Hamid's quick reaction to save that shot in the first minute...compare it with Perkin's slow reaction to Ronaldinho's bicycle kick. Perkins barely moved. It's a shame really 'cos I was rooting for him and thot it was a good trade to get him from Philly.

Posted by: tundey | May 27, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

It was a very good game. More than anything, it was a thrill to see Ronaldinho, Seedorf, Pato, and the amazing AC Milan crew in action. I was disappointed that Dida did not play. I thought I saw him warming up in the field right before the game began.

My wife and I got to RFK stadium almost two hours before kickoff. The mood was festive and you could sense the crowd's excitement and anticipation. DC United did not disappoint and earned a well-deserved victory. A heartfelt congratulations to them!

The last player to leave the field after the game ended was Ronaldinho. He took his time to greet his fans graciously as all of us expressed our admiration and adoration to him. There was not a single person who was not screaming as Ronaldinho went around waving his hands to his fans and, on a few occasions, kicking soccer balls high into the crowd. A few lucky fans were able to hold on to the balls.

Ronaldinho is a true soccer genius. Seeing him in person was one of the most gratifying experiences for me.

RFK Stadium was almost full and it was filled with great excitement thanks to the excellent game that DC United and AC Milan gave to their fans.

(from Springfield, VA)