Video: Landon Donovan and the Copy Machine

This is U.S. star Landon Donovan and "This Is SportsCenter":

By Steve Goff  |  May 27, 2010; 9:47 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , TV , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: ESPN, Landon Donovan, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday kickaround
Next: U.S. World Cup team at the White House

Comments

Meh. I usually expect better from ESPN, but I'll give 'em credit for trying.

Posted by: fischy | May 27, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I chuckled.

Posted by: nairbsod | May 27, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I think it's pretty awesome. Got laughs from my non-soccer friends, at least. Not quite as awesome as "Mexican" Landon crossing the border to play the lottery, but close.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | May 27, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, chuckles, not laughter. ESPN has another ad with Jozy in a conference room for a meeting. After the meeting he swaps shirts with a befuddled ESPN staffer.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 27, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

espn's come a long way, right? it's basically going to be the soccer channel for the next month or so. and i can't even remember the last time i heard the phrase 'bulge the ol' onion bag'.

Posted by: stairs | May 27, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I very much prefer the one with Jozy

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 27, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I thought it was funny.

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | May 27, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

That was funny, if only they put as much time in to the quality of their broadcasts as they did their commercials.

Posted by: DC0071 | May 27, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Not so much an LOL, but a CUB (chuckle under breath). Cute ad though. I liked the only line in the ad: "But I didn't do anything."

Posted by: DrBeaker | May 27, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm. ESPN is sending like a gazilion people to South Africa, including some "A team" anchors. They're covering each one of the 64 games with a live crew, and (I believe) we can watch any game we want to watch as it happens, in HD.

So what's left to b***h about? The commercials? The choice of anchors?

Rubbish.

U-S-A! U-S-A! E-S-P-N! E-S-P-N!

C'mon "soccer people." You gotta lively up yourself, and don't be no drag!

Posted by: OWNTF | May 27, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

That was a soft foul for the yellow, but he's got to control himself and not pick up the red for dissent when it's clear that someone has it in for him.

Posted by: mason08 | May 27, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I laughed out loud. Very clever. Anybody have the link to the Jozy one?

Posted by: WorldCup | May 27, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Biased officiating, that's what this is- I bet you that copier was assembled in Mexico or another CONCACAF nation.

Posted by: Rosslyn45 | May 27, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

ESPN plans to broadcast soccer games from the 2010 FIFA World Cup in Portuguese on its Spanish-language channel, in a shot across the bow of Univision Communications Inc.

Steve - I can't find any information about the announcers for these games - do you have any background info?

BRASIL!!!!!

Posted by: GeneWells | May 27, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Who's your father, who's your father, who's your father, copier?...

Posted by: weliveindc | May 27, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I dig it. LOL

Posted by: JRandomReader | May 27, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I laughed out loud. Very clever. Anybody have the link to the Jozy one?

Posted by: WorldCup | May 27, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------------

Posted by: Josh86 | May 27, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I just wish he coulda worn the blue jersey with the white stripe instead of the crappy white T-shirt-like design...

Posted by: Juan-John1 | May 27, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 27, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 27, 2010 10:07 AM

I give them more credit for the Jozy one. It's not just a staffer, it's Josh Elliot, who's the morning anchor and very soccer-friendly and fairly knowledgeable (not something that can be said about everyone over there, as we all well know).

Posted by: sec133row5 | May 27, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

So what's left to b***h about? The commercials? The choice of anchors?

Rubbish.

U-S-A! U-S-A! E-S-P-N! E-S-P-N!

C'mon "soccer people." You gotta lively up yourself, and don't be no drag!

Posted by: OWNTF | May 27, 2010 10:55 AM
=======================

Some people simply can't be happy, OWNTF.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 27, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I think the Jozy commercial wasn't so much about the guy not getting it but it was more about him trading his Italian shirt for Jozy's jerzey.

I like these commercials and give ESPN credit for their efforts, since just as recent as a few years ago soccer and the World Cup were things that just got in the way of their daily business. We're getting there.

USA! USA! USA!

There's a party at the Linc!

USA!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 27, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

My son and I laughed out loud. Also loved the Jozy Altidore commercial.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | May 27, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I laughed, I thought he was going to go: "PC Load Letter? WTF does that mean!!??"" and get the red card.

LOL

Posted by: WillyJoel | May 27, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

LOL

Posted by: WillyJoel | May 27, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I laughed, I thought he was gonna go: "PC Load Letter?? WTF does that mean??!!!, and get the red card... LOL

Posted by: WillyJoel | May 27, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WillyJoel | May 27, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WillyJoel | May 27, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

my bad, I didn't mean the quadruple post, sorry for that.

Posted by: WillyJoel | May 27, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

my bad, I didn't mean the quadruple post, sorry for that.

Posted by: WillyJoel | May 27, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse