Video: 5 red cards in MLS

The Philadelphia Union might not be the worst club in MLS (D.C. United is), but the expansion team might be the dumbest. Two weeks after Danny Califf was sent off for elbowing Toronto FC's Julian de Guzman in the head, Stefani Miglioranzi was deservedly tossed for a brutal two-footed charge in midfield against the Los Angeles Galaxy, his former mates. It was the Union's third red card in five matches.

Get Microsoft Silverlight

The New England Revolution had two players ejected against FC Dallas (one was hard to see on video, the other was clear) and Columbus' Danny O'Rourke accumulated two yellow cards at Seattle, while Davy Arnaud was red-carded under very questionable circumstances. Take a look, decide whether referee Terry Vaughn made the right call:

Get Microsoft Silverlight

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  May 2, 2010; 12:21 PM ET
Categories:  MLS  | Tags: Los Angeles Galaxy, Major League Soccer, New England Revolution, Philadelphia Union
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United rewind
Next: Americans abroad

Comments

I agree with the Arnaud call. That was not a 50-50 ball.

The Philly player should get a multiple game suspension for that.

And Dario Sala, Dallas GK, was made to look very foolish. How and why he is starting, I'll never know.

Posted by: delantero | May 2, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I guess you missed K Hartman's performance at RFK last Wednesday then. It's no mystery to the dozens who were in attendance.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 2, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

There he is again, Terry Vaughn makinga seriously questionable major call, he needs a break to get some perspective.

Posted by: vinocomitatus | May 2, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

On Arnaud, my first thought was that the center ref was awfully far back and looking through traffic. But the last replay angle suggests that what the CR was in a position to see clearly was Arnaud reaching his leg in and making contact when the keeper had control of the ball. Red.

Posted by: dccal | May 2, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Onstad had it, and with the little lunge Arnaud deserves the red.

Hopefully with more red cards being issued, it will free up the game for skilled players, and de-emphasize the apparent advantage of overly physical play.

Posted by: garygeck | May 2, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I feel cheated we didn't get a red card at RFK yesterday. They seem to be more popular than goals these days.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | May 2, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Totally on the Davy Arnaud red card. He friggin' stepped on his wrist!!!! I am surprised Onstadt didnt get more hurt!

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | May 2, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: garygeck
===================

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 2, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Got no problems with the red cards. Concur with garygeck. No real need for these types of plays. Maybe it is just me but watching guys try to break players wrists and legs doesn't add much to the game experience for me.

Posted by: csd1 | May 2, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: csd1 | May 2, 2010 3:54 PM

Posted by: soyinocente | May 2, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

What's questionable about the Red on Davey? Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 2, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Never thought I'd find myself defending Terry Vaughn after his comical first month of refereeing this season, but I don't see how the Arnault call is questionable.

Posted by: HowdyDCU | May 3, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Arnaud went in with any malice, but when you see how he turned his foot at the last moment (fully exposing his studs) there's no argument in his favor whatsoever. Even with the purest intentions, that's reckless and dangerous. Vaughn was right to go straight for his back pocket.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 3, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse