Video: Rooney and Ronaldo, Kobe and Homer

A new Nike ad geared toward the World Cup, featuring Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Fabio Cannavaro, Franck Ribery, Didier Drogba, the Americans and -- oops -- Ronaldinho, with cameos by Kobe Bryant and Homer Simpson:

By Steve Goff  |  May 21, 2010; 9:05 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup  | Tags: Cristiano Ronaldo, Didier Drogba, Franck Ribery, Homer Simpson, Kobe Bryant, Nike, Wayne Rooney, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday kickaround
Next: D.C. United news & notes

Comments

HILARIOUS. Awesome ad. Rooney with the beard is too funny.

Posted by: jdickinson187 | May 21, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Kaka? I think he's Adidas...

Anyway, fun commercial. It's nice to see the Barca boys (and yes I count Fabregas as one of them already) disappointed for once.

Posted by: Louise9 | May 21, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I saw this after Jacob's post yesterday. It's OK, I guess. Lots of soccer, but all the glitz really confuses the message: Rooney knighted, Estadio Cristiano Ronaldo. What is the message? The Guy Ritchie ad made the point better and more personal.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 21, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

A bit over the top, yeah, but that helps explain to the "rest of the world" how big a deal this is to the soccer world.

Kudos to Nike for picking up an oldie but goodie for the soundtrack - Hocus Pocus by Focus.

Posted by: 22206no1 | May 21, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

interesting ending. didn't CR flub the last important PK he took? and that was for his club, where he usually performs much better.

agree with 270: the Ritchie vomit ad was much better. I immediately called all my colleagues to gather around my computer to watch that one several times. this one...well, I glanced at my e-mail halfway through.

Posted by: troy6 | May 21, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I love how it also features a guy not selected for his World Cup team. Oops.

Posted by: CardCat | May 21, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Dunga FTW.

Too bad Nike, last I checked an American company, chose to feature the Nats for about 1 second. Dicks.

Posted by: JRandomReader | May 21, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Saw the video last night. Pretty good. Want to watch it again but almost all videos, pictures, etc blocked by work. Gotta keep looking...

Posted by: WarrenWallace | May 21, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

It's a great advertisement--no doubt. But I am not sure I am on board with those who have said (in other forums) that it is one of the best ever. I actually found the Jogo Bonito ads of 2006 to be more entertaining. Then again, I love Eric Cantona, so perhaps I am a bit biased.

Posted by: TwinCity | May 21, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Too long. Keep the Rooney section, toss the rest.

Rooney in the beard, living in a trailer park, marking fields for a living is pretty nice.

Reminds me of groundskeeper Willie from the Simpsons . . .

Posted by: delantero | May 21, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Interesting that we see a point scored in ping-pong, and 2 in basketball, but no goals. I'd say it's educational for folks who don't follow soccer in showing how the game is exciting despite its low scores; although the folks who don't follow soccer might not be so charitable.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 21, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

but it's the yearning for the breakthrough goal that keeps us all on the edge of our seat and coming back for more right?

I loved this commercial, the rapid fire clips of the different view points when they think Drogba is scoring gave me goosebumps and flashbacks to some of what really turned me on to this game during the last World Cup. As a bicycle messenger in DC at the time it never ceased to amaze me where the game was being watched, or even listened to by so many different people. What really stuck with me that summer was the African security guard and the Latiino custodian huddle over their tiny transistor radio in a secluded Georgetown lobby trying to keep quite listening to a match and it' juxtaposition to the crowds at the Lucky Bar.

Ritchie's ad put you in the player's shoes and was thrilling but this ad really did capture the depth of the passion for the World's Game. Loved it!

BTW, there are many more videos on youtube related to this ad. Check em out when you get a chance.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 21, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Great commercial, this has to be my favorite one so far. Surpassing my previous favorite World Cup commercial, United.
Check out my blog on the United World Cup commercial:http://eastcoastpaperboy.com/2010/05/14/bono-and-the-beautiful-game/

Posted by: jon3889 | May 21, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

great commercial. Biggest flub though is including Ronaldinho who is gonna be watching the cup on TV. Should have gone with Robinho.

Posted by: UnitedinTx | May 21, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Somebody needs to fix the banner ad touting Machester [sic] City at M&T Bank stadium.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 21, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

i think that is roger federer that rooney is whipping around

Posted by: gregegeg | May 21, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Not sure I ever met a spammer who didn't know rudimentary html.

Posted by: benonthehill | May 21, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

The Ronaldinho thing isnt unprecedented. Ibrahim Ba featured prominently in someone's (I think it was Adidas') World Cup ads in 1998 after he was left off the French squad.

Posted by: gocaps2 | May 21, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Great commercial. Now what am I supposed to go out and buy?

Posted by: Senor_Funk | May 21, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Great commercial. Now what am I supposed to go out and buy?
===

Anything and everything bearing the Swoosh (TM).

Balls, boots, shirts....

Posted by: mason08 | May 21, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

What a depressing commercial. I've never thought about doing something "on the job" that would make me a movie star or have a statue of me made. I can't even imagine what I would have to do as an accountant!

Posted by: TCompton | May 21, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

@ TCompton - From one accountant (actually auditor) to another, these days, there's stuff you can do to become a movie star. Just be creative, if you get what I mean. I mean you won't be a star per se, because someone else will be playing you (after you sell the movie rights). But they might erect something in your honor in the place where creative accounts end up. :)

Oh who am I kidding, people don't go to jail for that kind of stuff anymore.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 21, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@TCompton, JP Morgan was an accountant once...

Posted by: prokaryote | May 21, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

HILARIOUS. Awesome ad. Rooney with the beard is too funny.

Posted by: jdickinson187 | May 21, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

You're not gonna think it's so funny livin' in a van down by the river when you're . . . LIVIN' IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

Posted by: stancollins | May 22, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse