Weekend soccer TV listings

What are you going to watch?
SATURDAY
England playoffs, Blackpool-Cardiff 10 a.m. ET, Fox Soccer Plus
MLS, Toronto-New England 1 p.m. Direct Kick

UEFA Champions League final, Inter Milan-Bayern Munich 2:30 p.m. Fox's main network, Fox Sports Espanol (tape at 8 p.m. on Fox Soccer Channel)

MLS, Seattle-San Jose 3 p.m. FSC

Mexico finals, Toluca-Santos Laguna 1 p.m. Telemundo
Brazil, Corinthians-Fluminense 3 p.m. GolTV
MLS, Kansas City-Columbus 4 p.m. Direct Kick
MONDAY
Friendly, England-Mexico 3 p.m. FSC

By Steve Goff  |  May 20, 2010; 4:30 PM ET
Categories:  TV  | Tags: D.C. United, MLS, UEFA Champions League, women's soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Oguchi Onyewu aims for World Cup
Next: Friday kickaround

Comments

I will ask the obligatory, what were they thinking question...

...Did MLS/FSC really schedule and pick a game for television that goes head to head with the Champions League Final? Could Qwest Field not be utilized at any other time this coming weekend?

OR

Is Seattle arrogant enough that it will have a full house when arguably one of the biggest matches of the year is going on at the same time?

Going with 0.000 for TV ratings, and probably a decent Sounders crowd...

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | May 20, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

VBB you don't have to watch the Seattle game if you don't want to. Hats off to their fans if they fill the house.

As for the scedule, not sure it has to do with MLS stupidity or Seattle arrogance but more so it's a tight schedule this year (what with that minor tourney that's about to start in 21 days) and the league has to get these games in somehow. If MLS were to stop for every European or South American super-match, I'm not sure when they'd get to show their product. Plus doesn't Seattle already have scheduling issues with another team in town? I recall there being an issue with hosting the USOC finals last year.

I won't be watching this game and Freddie Ljunberg might be ticked about it too, but hats off to Seattle fans if they reprsent. I respect them for that as they do make our league look good.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 20, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

You guys think that those 30K crowds are actually full of people who watch any soccer other than the Sounders play? Seriously?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 20, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Galavision? That's interesting. Is CSN showing a tractor pull or something?

Posted by: fedssocr | May 20, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

According to Comcast's website CSN is showing Sun Belt College Baseball in DC United's time slot:

I've always relied on CSN as my main option for DC away games but they are laying a stinkin' turd this year. Both the team and CSN.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 20, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

@Kosh2,

I realize the schedule is tight and, to @DadRyan, I'm sure it has something to do with stickball at Safeco (same issue as USOC hosting last year).

I try to watch all the games I can. I'm just scratching my head as to why you go head-to-head. In a perfect world you'd never do it and you seek to minimize the conflicts. MLS and it's scheduling is not the perfect world yet.

Still - you figure there are a couple of dates/time slots on the calendar beyond the X-Games at HDC that you circle and say - really, let's do EVERYTHING we can to avoid that overlap.

I'm sure they looked to avoid it, but I'll have to catch the Seattle game on TiVo as I watch my Bavarians put up a fight against the Special One, who will likely go from hoisting the European Trophy to walking across the hall at the Bernabeau and accepting the managerial position that will open up sometime between now and Saturday afternoon.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | May 20, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

It does seem odd that CSN dropped the DCU coverage down - and they really don't have much other local programming.

Maybe they made a similar decision to the one Steinberg did about Caps vs. World Cup...and now that the Caps crashed & burned, CSN doesn't have the soccer to show.

Oh well, buenas noches, Galavision! Now let me check what channel # that is again...

Posted by: CDRHoek | May 20, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

FC Dallas product (but now with River Plate) Rogelio Funes Mori scored 2 goals as Argentina tied France 3-3 in a u21 game:

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 20, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Galavision - 274 on FiOS

Posted by: Pete803 | May 20, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Nike's World Cup commercial is out.

As I imagined it would be, I say it's the best.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 20, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Galavision? That's interesting. Is CSN showing a tractor pull or something?

Posted by: fedssocr | May 20, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 20, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Galavision had the rights to the game Saturday night before CSN announced their schedule. DCU and CSN try to coordinate the schedule to get the highest number of games televised. The contract calls for a certain number of games so it doesn't make sense for them to televise a game that is already being shown. In addition, I'm not entirely sure about this but I think Galavsion has exclusive rights to this broadcast anyway.

As far as the coverage so far this season that was more a product of the Capitals postseason than DCU. The Capitals will always come first because their ratings are way better than United's are on CSN. It is simply a business decision. Finally, do you guys watch CSN? They have been marketing DCU regularly and have repeatedly had segments on WPL and Sportsnite to include this past hour. If CSN is not a friend of DCU's than no media outlet is.

Posted by: croftonpost | May 20, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Here here, VBB.

I try to get all the MLS games in myself but on this one, I'm gonna have to miss this Sounders game. I've been complaining for weekend Champion's League finals for years and now that it's here I'd be a hypociticizer for not enjoying it.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 20, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Come on, you Bluebirds!! Do the Ayatollah!!

Posted by: daandre3 | May 20, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Did UEFA really schedule and pick a game for television that goes head to head with the Sounders game? Could Estadio Santiago Bernebeu not be utilized at any other time this coming weekend?

Fixed it for ya, VBB.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 20, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Turkey-Czech

$5 at Subway. $15 at Balducci's.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 20, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

The Mariners play at home Saturday night. I believe there is some city rule that one team has to get out of the other's way a couple hours before gametime - since they share parking, roads and transport. With Seattle being on the west coast, it screwed the match time right into the Champs League spot. Fortunately for MLS (and not Fox), Bayern-Inter is not exactly a dream final. I know I don't have a problem missing it this weekend for vacation purposes. I'm more bummed about being on a plane during the Blackpool-Cardiff match.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 20, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Kosh2: It is Hear, hear

Posted by: GeneWells | May 21, 2010 6:18 AM | Report abuse

@GeneWells - keep fighting the good fight. i had to correct someone (with an English PhD no less!) on the bated/baited breath thing earlier this week.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | May 21, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Irregardless of a few slip up, I think most Insiders talk good.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 21, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

While the game runs at the same time as the CL Final, it will be tape delayed on FSC (6pm EST)

Posted by: jfg3 | May 21, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Gene, are you the holder of the slip-up jar this year? I'll promptly send you my $5 penalty and the penny transaction that goes with it.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 21, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

@ croftonpost "...Finally, do you guys watch CSN? They have been marketing DCU regularly and have repeatedly had segments on WPL and Sportsnite to include this past hour. If CSN is not a friend of DCU's than no media outlet is."

I haven't watched CSN all year because they haven't shown a single road game. I go to all the home games so I have no reason to watch.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | May 22, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

@croftonpost: This is no time to be all reasonable and understandy. We are complaining about not being able to watch our team's away game tonight, and we have a legitimate grievance! Galavision, Comcast, Direct Kick -- they all stink.

Posted by: dccal | May 22, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

At Seattle, Attendance 35,953! I guess the DVRs were all tuned to Fox after all.

Posted by: soccerman | May 23, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse