World Cup news & notes

*Bob Bradley will introduce his 23-man World Cup squad on ESPN's "SportsCenter" on Wednesday around 1 p.m. ET, the U.S. Soccer Federation announced.

*More than 43,000 tickets have been sold for Saturday's send-off friendly against Turkey at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia.

*Adding to Germany's injury woes, midfielder Christian Traesch will miss the World Cup with an ankle injury. No. 1 goalkeeper Rene Adler and captain Michael Ballack are also out.

*England weighs its goalkeeping options.

*Al Qaeda says it had no plans to stage attacks at the World Cup. Well, I feel much better now.

*Threats of labor strikes on the eve of a World Cup? You don't say.

*AOL Fanhouse turns the tables on Liverpool supporter John Oliver of "The Daily Show."

*D.C. United color commentator Thomas Rongen, a former NASL midfielder, will take the field Saturday at the RFK Stadium training grounds as part of a benefit for two charitable organizations. We promise not to disclose his age (53).

By Steve Goff  |  May 25, 2010; 3:17 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , D.C. United , England , Germany , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Al-Qaeda, Bob Bradley, Christian Traesch, Germany, South Africa, The Daily Show, Thomas Rongen, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: U.S. roster clues?
Next: Matchnight: USA-Czech Republic

Comments

"Al Qaeda says it had no plans to stage attacks at the World Cup. Well, I feel much better now."

Everyone's a futbol fan, it seems. And here I thought Al Qaeda hated pretty much everything.

Posted by: delantero | May 25, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

""Robert Green, who played the first half in England's 3-1 win over Mexico and made two close-range saves, said the uncertainty has sparked a "healthy" competition among him, Joe Hart and David James.

"In international football, chances don't come along very often," Green said after making his 10th England appearance Monday. "We're all in the running and it shouldn't be any other way. ... It's something that's healthy where we keep pushing each other."

Hart, who was on loan at Birmingham from Manchester City this season, took over for Green in the second half.

"I'm still looking over my shoulder," said Hart, who has no clue whom coach Fabio Capello will pick for England's opening game against the United States on June 12.""

Uh oh, don't tell Capello he should have chosen his starters by now.

Posted by: delantero | May 25, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"Yo Sepp,

Just a heads up -- we're all cool with the World Cup. It's all good. Stay thirsty, my friend.

Regards, OBL"

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 25, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SexyOffender | May 25, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

despite Al Qaeda's assurances, CAF is still going to fine Togo for not showing up.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | May 25, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

===================

Hope this guy stays home.

Sheesh.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 25, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

if England is choosing their goalie by weight, it's no contest (numbers via Soccernet):

James - 90.8 kg
Hart - 81.9 kg
Green - 77.5 kg

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | May 25, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Kind of OT, but God do I love this commercial (and youtube for being the time machine that it is):

Posted by: EssEff | May 25, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I assume kg does not mean keg. So how much is a kg and are the larger numbers heavier or lighter. This metrinomics conficese me.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 25, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I meant to type "confuscate."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 25, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Metricosity is easy..if the first number is bigger than the second number, that's good. But if the second number is the same or larger than the first number you must divide by the reciprocal and add 32.

Posted by: boda-united | May 25, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 25, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

For a minute there I thought Rongen was getting a try out with DC United. It wouldn't have surprised me and probably wouldn't make the team any worse.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | May 25, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse