WPS Matchday: Freedom-Breakers

Greetings from Maryland SoccerPlex, where the Freedom just wrapped up a nice Mother's Day opening in which the mothers and host mothers of some players were recognized.

I just arrived after Redskins minicamp -- a quick one-hour jaunt down the Dulles Toll Road, Beltway and I-270 North -- and the wind is causing a nice chill here in Boyds.

The game is being shown on Comcast SportsNet (I see my buddy Russ Thaler in the house tonight), so if you're not in attendance check it out on TV. (You don't have D.C. United as an option.)

I'm excited to see French international Sonia Bompastor in the midfield. She's been playing at left outside back every other game I've covered this season.

Records: Breakers 1-1-2, Freedom 2-2.
When: 7 p.m.
TV: Comcast SportsNet.

Freedom Lineup: McLeod; Whitehill, Marshall, Moros, Sauerbrunn; Gilbeau, Bompastor, Long, Huffman; Mykjaland, Wambach Subs: McCray, Bock, Goebel, Welsh, Singer, Eueland, Abegg.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Paul Tenorio  |  May 8, 2010; 6:56 PM ET
Categories:  Freedom , Women  | Tags: Maryland SoccerPlex, WPS, Washington Freedom
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United's Quaranta has surgery for MRSA infection
Next: Matchnight: D.C. United-FC Dallas

Comments

Freedom controlling possession in the first 10 minutes. Good build-ups, but lacking the "final pass."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 8, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I assume that Bompastor in the midfield because Sawa is on int'l duty.

I assume that I'm the only one blogging.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 8, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Wife doesn't want to watch the WPS match...

Posted by: DadRyan | May 8, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

On CSN they mentioned something about a possible friendly against the CWNT, possibly with McLeod playing 45 minutes for each side.

Did I hear something about the 'Plex's big screen possibly being used for World Cup viewing purposes?

Both Sawa-san and the sheila were on WWCQ duty. Also, I learned that the new Norwegian's name is pronounced something like "Michelin."

I believe CSN will be doing a rebroadcast on Sunday evening.

At halftime a curious public service announcement aired on CSN. For starters, Wambach's name was misspelled ("Wombach"). But more to the point, this particular PSA preached against so-called underage drinking. It is almost certain that a number of persons on the Freedom roster (Bompastor, for starters) engaged in a lot of what would be classified as underage drinking in this country, and they are apparently no worse off for it.

(Actually, I recently heard a PSA in the wee hours on WTOP-FM that clearly outdoes this one in terms of being unintentionally funny. It featured the voice of a young woman exhorting young men to register for the draft, because "we all have to do our part" [sic] to defend the nation.)

Posted by: universityandpark | May 9, 2010 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Bompastor was in the midfield because that's where she plays now. Jill Gilbeau was in the game because Sawa was away, and she looks marvelous in central midfield.

Posted by: Landru | May 9, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Read here on why Bompastor is in the midfield:

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | May 9, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I was never thrilled with Bompastor at left back to begin with, and I think Sauerbrunn is working out well back there. It's great that Nikki Marshall is able to start in central defense and allow Gabarra that sort of flexibility. He really has sort of an embarrassment of riches in the midfield, and it's interesting to watch him work through the combinations.

Posted by: Landru | May 9, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

-Paul, you might have saved time by going the other way and crossing on the bridge by Frederick.

-The screen at Plex isn't big, it's little, or at best medium. Not suitable for a World Cup party unless they allowed people on the stadium field, which I doubt they'll do.

- Great to see Sonia being Sonia in the midfield.

- Freedom missed DeVanna more than Sawa. #7 is not on the same page with the others in attack. It seemed to me Moros is vastly improved. I think she megged the left back 3 times in the first half

- But what they miss most of all is WPS Player of the Month Lori Lindsey. The killer final ball is what she's providing in Philly and exactly what the Freedom was missing last night.

- Will await the definitive report from Rand-al-Thor

-- Also wondering what injury report is an Wambach.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 9, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Paul's match report.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 9, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

The collision wasn't bad, but Wambach took an accidental boot-scrape to the face on the play. Not nice, but I'm guessing it's a flesh wound.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 9, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

A few additional items:

I don't think that the fact that Bompastor was named WPS player of the week for her efforts at Estadio RFK last weekend has previously been noted on this blog.

In addition to tonight's rebroadcast, CSN will show this match tomorrow (Monday) at noon:

The 'Plex currently appears to seat about 5,000. I thought there were plans to expand it to about 7,000. Does anyone know anything about that?

Posted by: universityandpark | May 9, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________________

And there is always the scenic route via White's Ferry, although I don't know that that would have saved any time.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 9, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

This occurred to me. The wind was so strong and unpredictable in the second half that the closest thing I can compare some of the aerial action too is MLB players trying to hit a good knuckleball. On a windy day. Crazy.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 9, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

@U&P: Something happened to their expansion plans last year (financing?) and they put up the erector set stands rather than the permanent addition. IIRC, they did have the construction permits.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 9, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc's review. Quotes section indicates he must have hung around longer after the game than Tenorio did ;)

Posted by: OWNTF | May 10, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Bompastor and Sauerbrunn were moved to the midfield and back line, respectively, for the last 20 minutes or so of the Philly match two weeks ago and for the entire game at RFK.

Lori Lindsey may be providing killer final passes for her new team, but she didn't have many for the Freedom last year - she was only credited with one assist all season.

The pre-WPS Soccerplex stadium seated about 3,200. The second line of bleachers on the east side brings the total over 5,000. I'm hoping eventually they'll install more permanent seats - I've seen plans showing seating behind the goals.

Posted by: kevinwparker | May 10, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse