A few minutes with Bob Bradley

American supporters have surely grown tired of foreign observers describing the U.S. team in blue-collar terms, and while no one would suggest that the United States is on the verge of matching Brazil's individual skill, the Americans can play a bit. We saw it at the 2002 World Cup and we are seeing it again here in South Africa.

At his media availability on the eve of his team's round-of-16 match against Ghana, Coach Bob Bradley addressed the team's style and approach.

"Our team has an understanding that, in order to be successful, we have got to take all the aspects of football and put them together. We believe that working for the team and working for each other is important, but it would be an unfair assessment of our team to stop there. We have shown in these games the ability to move the ball quickly, intelligently. We have some individual players who have made the kind of special plays that you need to go far in a tournament or win championships. We've never, in any way, believed that all you need to do is put on your work clothes. We do think it is important to have the ability to work hard and also be smart, disciplined, creative in the right moment. We are a team that tries to put all those things together."

For more.....

Now that the United States has reached the second stage, is it plausible to think about a long run in this tournament?

"You certainly have moments when you think we are capable, if we continue to build on the successes so far, we can go to the end. That is what it is all about. But that has to be balanced with a concentration of each game. You still establish over time a way of working, a way of doing things, and you rely on that. We try hard not to get ahead of ourselves, but at the same time, everybody has this idea that, if things go our way, we can go far."

Commenting on the bond with U.S. fans:

"We have received incredible support from all our fans at home and from the many, many fans who have made the trip here. Whenever you have a team, one of the things you try to achieve, you want to have a team that the people who care about that team and follow that team and root for that team can feel part of, a team that people can believe in. That's part of our responsibility and we are excited in the moment that there is that kind of feeling."

By Steve Goff  |  June 25, 2010; 12:44 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Bob Bradley, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: World Cup 2010: Brazil vs. Portugal ends in 0-0 tie in FIFA Group G
Next: World Cup Group H: Switzerland vs. Honduras

Comments

Great stuff, Steve.

One of the terms I hate is "he put in a good shift." That's the workman-like approach -- he ran around a lot, caused problems, but that's about it.

I would not describe out team as blue collar. Our guys don't possess the technical skills of Spain, Portugal or Brazil, but it's getting better, as is the tactical play. The boys have come a long way over the last year. And that's a credit to Bradley.

Based on the character count, I think have more spa

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 25, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Never, ever having been the patriotic sort, I am somewhat stunned at the goosebumps and heart swells that have accompanied the USNMT bid for the World Cup. I am used to standing in the cold rain or the hot sun at DC United games, and going hoarse singing and yelling at referees, but the feeling of pride in this squad has really moved me.

Posted by: phburris | June 25, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

phburris, this is getting similar to the US women's run to the first World cup.

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

There's a Falcons billboard around town that says "11 in the huddle, 5 million on the field". That's how I feel about this team right now.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 25, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

@Jacob,

The difference is, for the Falcons, that's how much money those 11 guys earn as they stand in the huddle.

Posted by: Kenobi | June 25, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Fire Bob Bradley...for his own good so he can get a job that pays him better. Capello makes 20 times his salary and Bradley is perfectly capable of coaching England to uninspired performances at the World Cup with a moment or two of inspiration that make the English now believe they can win the World Cup after one win.

Posted by: csd1 | June 25, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

phburris. I agree with your feeling. Like most commi-loving political science graduate students I love to loath but watching this USA team has me playing every pass right along with them. I can't even describe how much I freaked out when we scored against Algeria in my office. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 25, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Also, before the Confederations Cup I hated Bob Bradley. Thought he was the worst coach in the world. In the span of a year I have slowly changed. Every performance since has made me realize how good of a manager he actually is.

I even questioned the two subs against Slovenia at half but he got them spot on, they completely changed the game (As did his sub against Algeria). He clearly knows his tactics and he can motivate the boys.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 25, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

JacobfromAtlanta-ish, I think the Hawks "Highlight Factory" campaign is a little more fitting of an Atlanta sports advertising campaign in my opinion for this team. The emotional roller coaster of this journey can be summed up so far with 3 very dramatic highlights that stir the soul. The GOAL!!!, The Call? and The Goalie Goof...to be continued stay tuned and don't look away for a second.

Posted by: csd1 | June 25, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

The US team is showing what happens when players buy into a system, trust the coaching staff, and believe in each other. The French, not so much.

Posted by: Tweaked | June 25, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Project 2010 is right on schedule.

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I just saw a replay of the World Cup '94 game against Columbia and was dumbfounded by how BAD our team was, in a technical sense. No one was really any good. Harkes ran hard and all that, but really, that's about it. Even Ramos was just OK. The talent level on today's team is light years ahead of where we were back then.

Posted by: loosek | June 25, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Harkes runs around a lot, we found out.

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

After listening to Harkes run off at the mouth today, I was wondering if English is his primary language.

Posted by: fischy | June 25, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I sense that group play (and Confed Cup for those who paid attnetion) has evoked a feeling that this team embodies our best national qualities -- that they genuinely "represent" America; that they are bringing American style, even if the game is foreign. "That's who we are; that's what we do; that's how we roll."

Even if you think that the prevailing American historical narrative is more myth than reality (a view I do not share), that common reservoir of American self-identification runs deeper than some folks know, or others will admit.

U-S-A!

Posted by: OWNTF | June 25, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Gene's eyes are rolling Reignking.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 25, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Not to offend, but it's heartening to see the "love to loathe" types (as described by grubbsl) experiecen the love for country. It's not a political thing, just an appreciation for those who sacrifice -- be it military, sport, whatever -- on behalf of our nation.

On Wednesday, Team USA fought through the junk and disrespect tossed at them, and earned a win. It's a theme that represents us pretty well, I think. Not everyone will love Bob Bradley's boys, but they will certainly respect them for what they've done.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | June 25, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I live with my boyfriend (fellow soccer lover) and a roommate who despises sports. We've tried to get him out to Revs games (live in Mass and I'm a Revs fan - boyfriend is a DC fan. Yeah, what a season for us both so far...), even offering to buy his ticket and his dinner, just to get him to maybe have fun instead of grunting and saying, "you people and your stupid sports."

After the England game, our roommate came upstairs and looked at us and said something about the goal. My boyfriend and I looked at each other in complete disbelief. Since then he's been casually watching the US games and following the scores. From a hater to a casual fan... this US squad has been pulling even the hardest, most anti-social and sports hating people into people who, even casually, now appreciate the world's game. Absolutely 100% unbelieveable.

Posted by: rachel751 | June 25, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I happen to think Harkes is a mediocre announcer. Whatever.

Posted by: GeneWells | June 25, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

OT but, Insiders, I need your help. I got home from travel and found my son had recorded "his shows" and ALL MY WORLD CUP GAMES were deleted. I know he didn't realize how fast the DVR fills and that it would delete the older shows. But now I have nothing. Does anyone have a link to a site where I can replay (and download??) games?

Posted by: ldmay | June 25, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

ESPN3.com - get on board with it

Posted by: GeneWells | June 25, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Gene the joke went right over your head brother. Harkes did a lot of running around... get it? LOL.

Anyway, I do agree that ESPN3.com is the place to watch replays!
Cheers!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 25, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

My wife's coworker lived down the street from Arena and Harkes. I heard ALL of the dirt back then. So when the John Terry fiasco started and it came out, it was not a surprise. Too bad the US team suffered for Harkes' transgressions. I sure hope we can deliver some redemption tomorrow.

Posted by: DCUmaniacsX2 | June 25, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan: I read online that you are wont to wear beer goggles and bust moves on waitresses. There's a rumor for you. LOL.

Posted by: GeneWells | June 25, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks. I have been watching live (when I can get away with it) on ESPN3, but didn't even think of going there for replays. Duh.

Posted by: ldmay | June 25, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse